5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Squeal with Brembo and Hawk HPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Brake Squeal with Brembo and Hawk HPS

Hello,

I installed some Brembo blanks with Hawk HPS pads on the front of my '02 GLE. Since they were installed they have made a considerable amount of noise while braking at certain levels of effort (hard or very light braking doesn't make any noise). The brakes work great and feel very reliable and smooth, but they are just very noisy. I've searched the internet and this site for possibilities and talked to several shops and I keep getting different feedback. I'd be interested in the opinions of some of the (Maxima owning) members here.

History:
1) Installed brakes with noise damping "goop" - made noise within two weeks
2) Took everything apart again- cleaned everything- and reapplied noise damping spray
3) Tried crappy shim stickers available at auto parts store- of course that did not work.

Any comments or help would be sincerely appreciated.

Last edited by duderiffic; 06-18-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
大陆弟弟

Have you did the bed in procedure as instructed on the box? HPS pads are not install it and forget pads. You need to follow the bed in procedure for them to function 100%.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:55 PM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Originally Posted by n3985
Have you did the bed in procedure as instructed on the box? HPS pads are not install it and forget pads. You need to follow the bed in procedure for them to function 100%.

But mine still make noise occasionally...comes and goes. doesn't bother me too much
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 PM

Ive installed brembo sport drilled rotors and hawk pads, did the break in like i read in a sticky somewhere, no noise at all, super smooth non fade braking , iam impressed.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 AM

I did the bed-in procedure per the instructions and have as I said above tried a few things to stop the noise- what are possible causes of the noise? I've heard it could be the clips from a local auto shop here and I wasn't sure if that made sense.

I am not particularly interested in replacing the pads as they weren't cheap and they were supposed to be good- however that is what many auto shops (surprise surprise) are trying to sell me.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 AM
L.M.L.

hawks are known for an inconsistent quality of their pad. so, some of them make noise, so don't, some of them dust, some dust less.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by L.M.L.
hawks are known for an inconsistent quality of their pad. so, some of them make noise, so don't, some of them dust, some dust less.

known by who?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
大陆弟弟

OP, follow the bed-in instructions below and report back:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Either your installer screwed up an easy task or the bed-in was not enough. So may as well as do the easiest one first.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Cletus

from Hawk's website

Bed-in Instructions

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
what does this mean, exactly?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by Armon
Don't ride the brake pedal.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Armon
full braking or no braking...nothing in between
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM

I am the installer. :P (For better or worse)

That is the exact procedure I followed- it was right on the box. Should I contact the manufacturer to see about an RMA? The level of noise is really unacceptable- and to be frank, quite humiliating.

I've taken everything apart 3 times and tried 3 different solutions to quiet the brakes and nothing is working. I guess from a fundamental standpoint I just would like to know what is causing it- (vibration, metal-on-metal, etc...)

Has anyone ever had brake noise and been able to fix it? (By tightening, replacing, or changing something?) That would be very useful information.

Thanks for your help & opinions.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
大陆弟弟

Well here is the procedure I use which have not failed me yet.

When the pads are taken out of the box, I rub them together for a good 10 seconds to score them. Clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol to remove the grease. Thick layer of anti-squeal on the pad's backing as well the pad holder. Torque the torque member to 80 ft lbs and caliper 25 ft lbs. Then bed in process follows.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

The "goo" isn't good enough. The pads ride in some brackets inside the caliper. These surfaces vibrate and create the high pitched squeal noise. Make sure the "ears" that the pads ride in are clean and have a dab of high temp grease. DAB = TINY AMOUNT. Also make sure the area in the caliper that these pads slide in are clean.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Okay, do you recommend a brand or type of high temp grease?

When you refer to cleaning the caliper I'm guessing you're referring to the side that doesn't have the piston just the two "fingers" the hold the outside pad?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by duderiffic; 04-22-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Prob not. Cleaning them and make sure they have a light coating of high temp grease migh help. As the pad ears slide back/forth inside these clips.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM

i got the same problem too. Its getting so annoying im probably gonna sell them. I heard some people sanded there pads bc of that mirror look on it.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 AM

I've used Hawk HPS pads with 12.6' X-drilled rotors for the last 4yrs and they have never squealed! I don't think you've installed the right SS shims with the spring loaded finger that on the back of the pad! (they snap on)

What I normally do is clean the back of the pads with MEK or acetone. Spray a decent coat of Disc Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads until it is partially dry apply the spring loaded shims and the spray another coat and let almost dry! Be sure all the adapter pad holders are clean and lubed with Hi-temp synthetic grease! Then bed the pads! If you have squeaking that means there is something (pad shim or pad holder) moving at a very hi frequency! So be sure that even your pad holders that fit onto the caliper adapters spring loaded clips are able to hold them securely. If any of the pad holders are loose (broken fingers) there's your source! Just order a hardware kit from the dealer or ABC Nissan!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I've used Hawk HPS pads with 12.6' X-drilled rotors for the last 4yrs and they have never squealed! I don't think you've installed the right SS shims with the spring loaded finger that on the back of the pad! (they snap on)

What I normally do is clean the back of the pads with MEK or acetone. Spray a decent coat of Disc Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads until it is partially dry apply the spring loaded shims and the spray another coat and let almost dry! Be sure all the adapter pad holders are clean and lubed with Hi-temp synthetic grease! Then bed the pads! If you have squeaking that means there is something (pad shim or pad holder) moving at a very hi frequency! So be sure that even your pad holders that fit onto the caliper adapters spring loaded clips are able to hold them securely. If any of the pad holders are loose (broken fingers) there's your source! Just order a hardware kit from the dealer or ABC Nissan!
CMax,

What are SS shims? I'm sorry if that is a weak question- is that something I should have bought or something that should have been in the box? The spring loaded finger is the one on the bottom of the outside pad, correct?

When you're referring to the adapter pad holders are those the clips that clip on the caliper that hold the pads?

Thanks CMax for your help- this is exactly the type of information I'm interested in- as you said- if it is squeaking there is something causing it.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM

man i tried so much crap with my hawk pads and they still made noise.. drove me up the freakin wall.. i followed the bed in procedure on the box and they started squeaking later that night.. tried that red stuff you put on back of the pads.. that worked for a couple hours... then come time when i applied anti-squeak grease between the pad edges and the shims, i couldnt get one of the freakin pads off the caliper cause the red stuff glued it on there! that anti-squeak grease worked for a little bit.. then they started making noise again.. that whole braking ordeal pissed me off
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The anti squeel stuff that works the best for me is the stuff in the spray can that dries quick verses the stuff in the tube that seems to stay gooey.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM

The problems w/ Hawks is so widespread and is as common as those that love the pads. Because I don't gamble, I went w/ Akebono last fall and have been very happy w/ them. I was one who debated brand of pads for a long time...i wanted great pads and zero noise and was not confident that the hawks would provide that considering all that I have read on them, even if i did follow the bed-in procedure to the T.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM

What is the condition of the rotors? Are they the old rotors, new rotors or old rotors machined?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM

brakes

Originally Posted by duderiffic
CMax,

What are SS shims? I'm sorry if that is a weak question- is that something I should have bought or something that should have been in the box? The spring loaded finger is the one on the bottom of the outside pad, correct?
The SS(stainless steel Shims) that clip on to the back of the brake pads!
When you're referring to the adapter pad holders are those the clips that clip on the caliper that hold the pads?
Yes! They clip on to the caliper adapter and they have little fingers that hold them in place!
Thanks CMax for your help- this is exactly the type of information I'm interested in- as you said- if it is squeaking there is something causing it.
The SS(stainsteel shims) clip onto the backs of the pads with these spring loaded tabs. Yes the pad holders are the clips that clip onto the caliper adapters. Make sure all the tabs are present and that the clips/pad holders are secure and not able to fall off when the clips are install onto the caliper top position. It should hold itself in place upside if not thru away and get a new hardware kit!Make sure all your hardware(shims, pads holder/guides) are not missing any of spring loaded tabs(fingers). Sorry for any confusion with the nomenclature of the various parts!

Last edited by CMax03; 04-24-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM

So to answer the conditions of the rotors they were new Brembo blanks- I did not have them turned before installing - I'm not sure if that could be the source of my problems. Should I perhaps turn my rotors to see if that addresses the problem?

Cmax,

I don't believe I have those shims- should I have got those with my HPS pads or bought them separately? The pads seem to hold into the clips with relative ease- I checked each little tab on the clips and they all looked fine (however I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for if they were failing)

MichMax,

I can't yet say I regret buying these pads since I'm not sure if what is causing the noise is my fault.

wyche,

So did you eventually just burn them and go with something else? If so, what did you buy? I get so upset some days I'm tempted to just trade the car in for something a bit quieter.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
大陆弟弟

The Hawk pads do not need the factory shims as they have one built-in, IIRC.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM

just got my brembo blanks and hawk pads on last week no noise or nothing
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM

Use your finger nail and see if the surface of the rotor has any grooves like a record. It should not have and grooves but it should have cross hatched scratches(scratches in two directions that look like a lot of X's on the rotor). If it has grooves it will make the pads move around and cause noise. You can reduce it by making a cross hatched pattern on the rotors with rough sand paper.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
The Hawk pads do not need the factory shims as they have one built-in, IIRC.
Sorry to tell you this but... The Hawk does have a built on shim! Factory brake pads have the shim and the shim cover on all the front pads! The shim that was replaced by the built on Hawk shim had many slots cut into it, the shim cover is solid and still should be used even on the Hawk pads!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by crazy97
The anti squeel stuff that works the best for me is the stuff in the spray can that dries quick verses the stuff in the tube that seems to stay gooey.
That's what I use with success on my vehicles and everyone else's that I work on! Never fails.....
Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 AM

So to answer the conditions of the rotors they were new Brembo blanks- I did not have them turned before installing - I'm not sure if that could be the source of my problems. Should I perhaps turn my rotors to see if that addresses the problem?

Cmax,

I don't believe I have those shims- should I have got those with my HPS pads or bought them separately? The pads seem to hold into the clips with relative ease- I checked each little tab on the clips and they all looked fine (however I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for if they were failing)

MichMax,

I can't yet say I regret buying these pads since I'm not sure if what is causing the noise is my fault.

wyche,

So did you eventually just burn them and go with something else? If so, what did you buy? I get so upset some days I'm tempted to just trade the car in for something a bit quieter.
Duderiffic,
No, you don't need to turn new rotors, turning only trues the surface, it has nothing to do with squeals! The clips that hold the pads on the adapter need to be checked! The way you ensure they fit tight onto the adapter is install them at the upper inverted position on the adapter and they should stay in place even if you wack the adapter with your hand! Check all 4 clips and make sure none have any broken tabs or loose fitting, bent tabs! From my experince broken tabs or loose fitting clips always make noise! The shims should have been installed on your factory pads. If the clips are placed in the inverted upper position and won't stay on ...throw it away or try to rebend the tabs to hold! If you think it's the Hawk pads put on some other brand and I'll guaruntee you'll still have your squeal! It's your brake hardware!!(clips, shims and spray on brake quiet)

Last edited by CMax03; 04-25-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:49 PM

wyche,

i just dealt with it until i traded the car in.. i need to get some new pads now, and i'm damn sure not getting hawks.. i'm thinking about the akebono pads to see how those work

Last edited by wyche89; 05-05-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97
That's what I use with success on my vehicles and everyone else's that I work on! Never fails.....
what is this stuff called and what does the bottle look like? do they sell it in regular auto parts stores like auto zone, strauss, or pep boys?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
i just dealt with it until i traded the car in.. i need to get some new pads now, and i'm damn sure not getting hawks.. i'm thinking about the akebono pads to see how those work
so you drove on the new pads for a few weeks and instead of trying different pads like suggested you traded your car in? how much money did you end up loosing on that deal?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM

spray on squeeze on:

what is this stuff called and what does the bottle look like? do they sell it in regular auto parts stores like auto zone, strauss, or pep boys?
The stuff has a couple of names "Disc Brake Quiet" and "Disc Quiet"! You can find they at any Auto part store around the Silicone sealants!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
so you drove on the new pads for a few weeks and instead of trying different pads like suggested you traded your car in? how much money did you end up loosing on that deal?
i drove my 2001 max for over a year with those noisy @$$ brakes.. i traded the car in cause i wanted a better car.. not because of the brakes.. now i need new brakes on this car, so i'm looking into a performance brake pad that wont give me the excessive sqealing and grinding problems that hawk gave me

maybe i just installed or bedded them wrong.. i would like to give them another chance, but i'm extremely hesitant because i DONT want to go back to noisy brakes.. but they stopped so well, and from my understanding, they stop better than any pad on the market

Last edited by wyche89; 05-06-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:55 PM

I have some stuff I bought at Napa in a smaller spray can. Its a blue and white can I think. I know Checkers had a red can that I used with success. You shouldnt have any problems with the Hawk pads using that stuff. I have a four wheels with hawk pads no squeels. I have puchased them twice no problems.

I spray the stuff on and let it harden up a bit then I add a few layers to it repeating that process a few times. After the final coat of brake quiet I wait at least 25 min before installing them.

Last edited by crazy97; 05-06-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Sorry to tell you this but... The Hawk does have a built on shim! Factory brake pads have the shim and the shim cover on all the front pads! The shim that was replaced by the built on Hawk shim had many slots cut into it, the shim cover is solid and still should be used even on the Hawk pads!
CMax, I've been away on business and I haven't been able to deal with this recently. It is still horrendously noisy- even moreso after in my last bout I didn't replace the brake quiet spray (since it hadn't worked previously)

Where can I get these shims? Should they have come with my brakes? Do you know where I can find pictures? (I didn't seen them on the Hawk webpage) Do you agree that I shouldn't have groves on my disc, but rather a cross hatched pattern?

Thanks for your help CMax.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

my hawk pads did not come with shims

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal with Brembo and Hawk HPS