5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Akebono Street Performance Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Very sound, Mike

Akebono Street Performance Pads

Update: 5/9/08
After the last wash, i wanted to compare the dusting performance of both pads. The catch is, i'm comparing front Akebono's to rear HPS. Then again, given how much more use the front brakes get, the picture below is rather striking. Make your own conclusions

================
Original Post Below
I've tried various brake pads these past few years on my Max and was never really completely satisfied with any of them. Since my brembo rotors and Hawk HPS are not cutting it (that and the brembo "warped" at only 9k miles, i knew i shouldn've have given away my PowerSlots, anyway...) i tried another set... Autozone Rotors ($50/pair w/ 2 yr warranty) and Akebono Street Performance pads ($77/axle set).

So far, i really like the new set-up. The aspect that i noticed almost immediately is the great initial bite and linear response of the pads. Since i've only had it for about 400 miles i'll keep this first post short and will follow-up later with an update.

Pads used to date:
- OEM, it works great for what it is, but plants too much deposit on the rotors, fades easily
- Axxis Metal Masters, great when hot, but nasty when cold. I immediately swapped out after nearly running over a neighbors child as i was driving out of the driveway (i had to swerve, at 10mph!)
- Hawk HPS, good when cold, greater when hot, it was never linear enough for me though. For the most part it was medium-hard mashing on the pedal to get decent feedback, the car will slow down and at the last moment it will stop *snap* like that. It has never failed me but with the way i drive it also was never a good match. (i don't let it warm up enough to achieve its full potential in 95% of my daily driving). I did not like how it groans at very low speeds/from a stop, however.
- Akebono Street Performance, great initial bite. All that is needed is a light touch on the pedal and it will grab. It also feels very linear--the more you push, the harder it clamps. I like it so far because it's much easier to modulate and know how the pad will react. "Comfortable braking" is how i probably would describe the feeling. So far it's eerily quiet and barely dusts (well, it dusts, but it's nowhere near as dark or as much as those produced by either Axxis or HPS.

Since there aren't that many Akebono SP pad reviews out there i was hesitant to get it, but i'm glad i did. However, at only +/-400 miles only time will tell if it lives up to the hype.

p.s. Akebono has pretty nice packaging on it, too. The pads are shrink-wrapped onto a cardboard backing and includes as small pack of grease, a couple of stickers and the warranty sheet. Also, all pads have wear indicators (I forgot with the Axxis, but the HPS only had 2 of the four pads with them). Will post pics later.

Last edited by soundmike; 05-09-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Are the Akebono's ceramic? I've noticed the linear response you describe with ceramic pads I have used on other cars I have owned.

Not sure what pads I currently have on my car (they were replaced just before I bought it), but they sound like crap (slight grinding sound) so I am consdering changing pads. Definitely keep the Akebono's in mind, especially if they are ceramic.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep, they are Ceramic, or at least technically it has Ceramic in it. The SP line is supposed to be a step-up from their ProACT and Euro products.

So far so good.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 PM

been using akebono proacts on powerslots for a while too, but due to the slots and single piston caliper, one pad grinds down further than the other. otherwise, it's a perfect day to day setup. for me, i wouldn't say it's that much better than stock. if it wasn't for the pad transfer/warped rotors, i'd have stayed stock.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM

hmmm interesting, good review
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
大陆弟弟

You sure the better initial bite is not coming from new thick pads?

But I agree with the HPS comment, I rarely get to heat them up enough to make full use. Normal driving the bite is not much better than stock honestly.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM

i am going with brembo akebono set up in the front. i think the hawk pads might have caused pre mature wear on the brembos, you shuld only really use hawk pads with performance rotors.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have Akebono's on my G35 and love em. That'll be what goes on my Max next.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by n3985
You sure the better initial bite is not coming from new thick pads?
It could be, then again the set of HPS i replaced was relatively new. It had only about 2mm of wear on it. I just grew tired of how it and the Axxis kept eating my rotors.

Speaking of which, i think these pads ate up the blank Brembo's much more than it did the Powerslots (which, incidentally, were also Brembo OEM's)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Nice info, I might try them out instead of the Hawk HPS+Brembo Blanks I had in mind.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM

nice info.. except i disagree with some of it.. you said the OEM pads were great for what they are.. i disagree completely.. i have driven other cars with stock braking, and the 5.5 gen maxima's oem braking sucks in comparison.. i'm currently driving a 2008 pontiac grand prix (rental) and the braking on this is far superior to the maxima's.. you get way more response from the grand prix's brakes when you press the pedal than you do from the maxima's.. this was also the case with a 2007 toyota suv (don't remember which model).. that braking was very good, responsive, and strong.. however, the maxima's braking is very soft, weak, and does not have very good response when you press the pedal.. it feels more like the hawk pads on my 2001 when they were cold, whose braking performance sucked tremendously (again.. when cold)

the hawk pads performed very nicely when warmed up, but i didnt like the noise and dust from them.. so for my next set of brakes, i think i might go with these akebono pads

Last edited by wyche89; 04-08-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by wyche89
nice info.. except i disagree with some of it.. you said the OEM pads were great for what they are..
Well, yeah, cheap and readily available pads.

Seriously though, i thought they were fairly competent, again for what they were. It worked well coming down Mt. Washington and it halted the car to a dead stop--keeping it that way, preventing me from hitting the car in front of me as a Sentra nailed me from behind on the freeway. He got totalled, i got $6k of damages.

Anyway, i've always read that Nissan had two types of OEM pads on the Maxima's. Perhaps i managed to luck out by having had the better of the two installed?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Well, yeah, cheap and readily available pads.

Seriously though, i thought they were fairly competent, again for what they were. It worked well coming down Mt. Washington and it halted the car to a dead stop--keeping it that way, preventing me from hitting the car in front of me as a Sentra nailed me from behind on the freeway. He got totalled, i got $6k of damages.

Anyway, i've always read that Nissan had two types of OEM pads on the Maxima's. Perhaps i managed to luck out by having had the better of the two installed?
quite possibly, yeah.. i don't know how many types of pads are available.. but i know i'm changing mine as soon as the weather gets warmer.. lol.. probably to those akebono pads you gave the review on
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM

I have the Akebono ProACT on all wheels since last October...about 4-5K miles or so and I like them. I don't brake hard, so it's not something I test regularly, but they do bite a lot better than my stock ones I had. I also have the Brembo rotors, of which I am extremely disappointed in. They got all rusty really bad in like 3-4 weeks. That is simply poor manufacturing. I wouldn't buy brembo again. The only time they look nice is out of the box. I'm not a car fanatic, but seeing it rust like that in a handful of days is rotten. There's as much or more rust on these new rotors than my old ones had in the 4yrs I've owned the car and they were on it when I bought it so who knows how old they really were. Since my pads were probably original, I'd guess the rotors were too.

Bottom line:

Akebono
Brembo
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found the same thing with the brembo blanks on my 4th gen. I have heard that if you get the brembo slotted or drilled, they come with a zinc coating (similar to galvanizing) that will prevent the rusting and that its just the blanks that do not come with it.

In the future, make sure you get the zinc coating and you will be much happier.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 AM

i wonder if you can just go to a shop to get the rotors zincc coated
Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by hotstartup
i wonder if you can just go to a shop to get the rotors zincc coated
Perhaps, although i just used hi-temp (1200 degree) engine paint on mine. I used the 500 degree one but it doesn't seem to last as long.

As for zinc coating, they do wear out after a while. My Powerslots' coating did.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Has anyone compared the Akebono street performance pads with the ProACT pads?

Tirerack says that the street performance pads have better stopping power but a little more dusting
Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 AM

Why all the hating on the Hawk Pads? I've been running Hawk Hps pads(8 yrs) front and rear and they have excellent intial bite when they're hot or cold. I've used EBC, Raybestos,Wagners and the EBC Green stuff were suppose to be virtually dust free...BS....My HPS's make less dust and I've suffered no rotor wear. Yall must be using Hawk HP/HP Plus with are harder and require more driving to them warm up! I've got some Akebono's that I'll test or the 1990 SE, the only benefit I see offered is low dust and noise according to the Tire Rack. I don't see EBC's being carried by The Tire Rack any more so I'm sure they were...BS!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Very sound, Mike

I'm not hating the HPS, it just doesn't suite my style of driving. I don't know about the EBC, Raybestos or Wagners, but between those that i've used so far, the HPS do eat up rotors a bit more than the others. Not ridiculously so, but noticeable enough.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Horizontally opposed.

I've got some HPS on the front and I'm hating the dust. They perform pretty well, but my wheels end up covered in dust 2 days after I wash them!

I'm also running drilled slotted brembo rotors though...do you think the dust is from the slotting or just that the HPS pads are dusty? How are the Akebono's dust wise?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Very sound, Mike

I think the HPS are just dusty. I've had slotted rotors before then blanks on the HPS and it was equally dusty either way.

So far the Akebono's are living up to its hype. I still have HPS in the rears and after a couple of weeks of no washing, the fronts are rather clean while the rears are noticeably darker. That says a lot given that the rears aren't used as much as the fronts.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm running the Akebono's and Brembo blanks as well for the past 10K miles or so. They are nothing short of great brakes. Good initial bite, great linear stopping power, great feedback, no fade when playing and they don't dust much either.

For the price, you can't go wrong with them.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:34 AM

I'm running 12.6" X-drilled Stillen 05' rotors on my 03 and stillen X-drilled 03 rear both with Hawk HPS's and Goodrigde hoses and slowing down from 130mph 3-5 times back to back without any fade, extra footage and definitely no warpage that's good enough for me! Some of us drive in town and some may drive more open roads with less stoplight action. I'll be testing those Akebono's real soon... Engine should be back in 1990 Maxima by this summer!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
You embarrass me.

Good review man. I've had the Axxis Metal Masters for the past 24,000 miles, and I gotta say I was impressed with them. I haven't had any issues when cold, but it really depends how used to them you get I guess. I can't complain about value though, I paid around 80-90 for both axles.
Interesting about the Akebonos, haven't heard much about them till now. Question: Did you flush the system each time the pads were changed? I'm up for some new pads and rotors soon, so I might check these out.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Very sound, Mike

First post updated with photo comparison of brake dust performance between the Akebono Street Performance and Hawk HPS pads.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
First post updated with photo comparison of brake dust performance between the Akebono Street Performance and Hawk HPS pads.
wow! my fronts are usually about twice as dusty as the rears, so that's awesome.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Armon
wow! my fronts are usually about twice as dusty as the rears, so that's awesome.
yeah thats how mine were on my car when i had hawks/brembos.. but for some reason with this car the backs dust faster than the fronts i have no idea what kind of pads are on there.. i'm assuming stock
Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Has anyone compared the Akebono street performance pads with the ProACT pads?

Tirerack says that the street performance pads have better stopping power but a little more dusting

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I'm running the Akebono's and Brembo blanks as well for the past 10K miles or so. They are nothing short of great brakes. Good initial bite, great linear stopping power, great feedback, no fade when playing and they don't dust much either.

For the price, you can't go wrong with them.
do you have the street performance or pro act pads?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Very sound, Mike

Most definitely. When i still had the HPS up front, with this time/distance span i'd be looking at a completely rust-colored wheel... especially when compared to the rears.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Hey, im thinking about getting the akebono street performance pads, but they don't seem to have any for the rear wheels, not even on the akebono website.. would it be fine to put street performance on the fronts and pro-act on the backs?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Very sound, Mike

It should be okay to mix-match, i do have Akebono's up front and the HPS in the back. Once the HPS is used up i'm going with the Pro-ACT's myself.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM

Ok, I put my akebono street performance pads on the front wheels with akebono pro act pads on the back wheels and here's what I think:

The initial bite is noticeably better than stock, and braking with moderate pressure feels SLIGHTLY better, as I notice I stop shorter than I used to with stock pads. Not a huge difference though. Hard braking has not been tested yet, because tirerack says to avoid hard braking for the first 400-500 miles. Definitely not as dramatic of a difference as with hawk HPS, but it's a noticeable difference with no noise and little brake dust.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
I have the Akebono ProACT on all wheels since last October...about 4-5K miles or so and I like them. I don't brake hard, so it's not something I test regularly, but they do bite a lot better than my stock ones I had. I also have the Brembo rotors, of which I am extremely disappointed in. They got all rusty really bad in like 3-4 weeks. That is simply poor manufacturing. I wouldn't buy brembo again. The only time they look nice is out of the box. I'm not a car fanatic, but seeing it rust like that in a handful of days is rotten. There's as much or more rust on these new rotors than my old ones had in the 4yrs I've owned the car and they were on it when I bought it so who knows how old they really were. Since my pads were probably original, I'd guess the rotors were too.

Bottom line:

Akebono
Brembo

Sorry dude but all rotors are STEEL or CAST IRON and they all rust . Im not sure but i dont think brembo pours there own rotors and then machines or they just order the blanks from a foundry which is most likely what they do.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 PM

o.k so i didnt read every post, where do i get akebono pads from?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM

I've tried several of those brands and just not impressed, akebono ProAct are decent, never tried it out on the track with my car only experienced them driving my friends car, but I've heard good things about them anyways, but if u want the truth go for GRANSPORT PERFORMANCE PADS all the way. GS5's or GS6's pending on driving style, satisfied brakes sells a couple different types of pads but for our heavy maximas we need some efficient strong pads that do well in cold and hot and have a high friction coefficient for maximum stopping force that still has a durable life span and enjoyable everyday usage! If you mostly track ur car and barely drive it than go for GS4-GS3-GS2-GS1, it basically goes from GS6 to GS1, 6 being least aggressive 1 being the most aggressive, the web site is; http://www.satisfiedbrakes.com , it lists only GS5 for rear but they'll make you the front ones as well, costs around 220$US for front and rear GS5 for the max but I pay like 130 due to the fact that the owner of http://www.satisfiedbrakes.com lives in my area and I grew up with his kids! If u live in montreal area or are coming by, and would like a pair or two can have them made, will take around a week to make if they don't have any stock and the more u buy the better the price will get! For the record; GS6 still outperforms HAWK HKS and AKEBONO ProAct , They last well over a year with taking a heavy beating, GS6 don't stop nearly as fast or hard as GS5, I'd say there's an easy 10-15% increase from one to the other. GS6 still over heat a little under extreme track conditions, but the GS5 just keep on performing!

PM me if need some info, or would like to get some sets if near by!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
o.k so i didnt read every post, where do i get akebono pads from?
TIRERACK.COM
Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 PM

thanks for the review , Im was going to buy the hawk for my 300zx bbk but i think you changed my mind.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Akebono ProACT vs EBC Redstuff brakes

Need a pair of brakes for the rear axle. What do you recommend:
Akebono PROAct or EBC Redstuff?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Akebono Street Performance Pads