5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Major Oil Leak ! HELP *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM

Major Oil Leak ! HELP *Pics*

hey guys, i need some advice again. as my previous problem suggests i have a major oil leak. i usually just top it off whenever it gets low but i thought id show you guys this picture (which was the first evidence of how severe the leak was) and see what i have to have replaced.

This leaked out of the passenger side of the engine by the FRONT timing cover, oil is all over the side of the engine and alternator. This oil puddle was generated in 30 MINUTES ! It blew my mind seeing that much in so little time. O, thats a size 13 shoe for reference... 30 minutes, while waitin for an oil change, and i see this left behind:

CLICKABLE
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spa0225cc8.jpg

heres where in the engine bay, not so much on the timing cover as it is on the alternator. i left these clickable bc i wanted them to be big enough to see details and didnt wanna hog server space

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=closelj9.jpg
http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mainwg0.jpg
http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sideya2.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?i...7300235hk1.jpg

Thank you for any replies in advance
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM

oil filter gasket?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaximaGXE
oil filter gasket?
Check oil filter
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Oil filter is the first thing I'd check as well. Could be the gasket from the old one stuck on the block. Two gaskets = leak.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Also check for the leak between the oil cooler and the upper oil pan (block).
Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Did this happen before or after you changed oil? It looks like old oil. If the oil filter seal from the old filter was left on, that could very well be your problem. My dad did the same thing on the minivan and it leaked oil all down the driveway until we realized that the seal was still on there from the old filter.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it's coming from the top of the engine by the timing cover then I'd suspect that the timing cover gasket may be bad or mabye one of the timing chain covers. Ty cleaing the whole engine where the leak is and then try to find where the leak is coming from after you let it warm up. If it's leaking that bad then it should be pretty easy to spot. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

when was the last time that U changed your oil? Sounds like two gaskets together
Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
Also check for the leak between the oil cooler and the upper oil pan (block).
I had a similar situation with this one. Nothing a new 3 dollar seal couldn't fix. But my leak was more like a seeping, slow leak compared to the OP's issue.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Oil filter is the first thing I'd check as well. Could be the gasket from the old one stuck on the block. Two gaskets = leak.
My brother had that problem when he changed the oil in his Milan a few months ago. Started it up and pumped out just about all 6 qts of oil onto the garage floor.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
retired moderator

This thread annoys me. You went to all the effort to post the pics and now its been 3 days and no responses from you. wtf...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM

sorry about the delay, i have to go back to austin to work on weekends. I will check the oil filter gasket, that may be the cause. I have never done an oil change on it myself which is unusual. The oil spot was while i was waiting to get an oil change. it leaks approximately 1/4 quart every two days so its almost a drip. it looks as though the source is left (facing the front) of the front banks headers in height (elevation) so that ruled out the valve covers. Ill definitely check the gasket, that sounds like it could be an easy problem to come across considering i havent changed my oil.

THANKS for all the replies and im sorry about the delay.

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 03-31-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM

Also, Id like to point out if it went unnoticed the hollow hex like belt tensioner is filled with oil.
this pic : http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sideya2.jpg

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 03-31-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 PM

it looks as though the oil from the leak is both too far forward and to high up on the engine to be from the oil filter gasket. i wont rule it out but im thinking about taking it to a shop to have them lift it so we can look under it.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 02SE6MT
sorry about the delay, i have to go back to austin to work on weekends. I will check the oil filter gasket, that may be the cause. I have never done an oil change on it myself which is unusual. The oil spot was while i was waiting to get an oil change. it leaks approximately 1/4 quart every two days so its almost a drip. it looks as though the source is left (facing the front) of the front banks headers in height (elevation) so that ruled out the valve covers. Ill definitely check the gasket, that sounds like it could be an easy problem to come across considering i havent changed my oil.

THANKS for all the replies and im sorry about the delay.
clearly i was being tongue-in-cheek, noob....
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
clearly i was being tongue-in-cheek, noob....
... are we done? your awfully helpful for a mod...

do you think valve covers could leak that much ? I looked at it today and it looks as though the oil is leaking out the front valve cover down along the exhaust manifold behind the heat shield down onto the alternator.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
wat

Originally Posted by 02SE6MT
... are we done? your awfully helpful for a mod...

do you think valve covers could leak that much ? I looked at it today and it looks as though the oil is leaking out the front valve cover down along the exhaust manifold behind the heat shield down onto the alternator.
not a matter if it can, but it will if your valve cover is cracked
Old 04-02-2008, 02:13 AM

Well,
I think it's your front valve cover! Why not take your car to the car wash and clean your engine down! So you can jack up your car and inspection it visually while it run with a bright light and mirror...the leak is coming from on top of your engine. The tensioner is full of oil and your valve cover bolts look wet too!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Enough with the speculation and find the leak already! Do you own a flashlight?

Even a half-way decent mechanic should be able to find the leak in less than 5 minutes...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM

i replaced the valve cover gasket as it looks as though it was the problem. i cleaned up the motor and took it for a drive and everything looks clean still. im wondering if the variable valve timing sprocket cover is leaking due to the amount of oil on the belt tensioner, has anyone come across this? is it just another gasket needed? Thanks for the replies, They have been a great help.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Hey guy, please don't be afraid of washing your engine on a normal basic...A clean engine is a happy engine! Another quick way of finding leaks is cleaning the engine and spraying developer on the suspect area! Developer is a white chalky like paint that you can find at an aircraft parts supply(falcon crest)and it's part of a Dye penetrant kit used for finding cracks in various items rods, cranks, longerons, spars, etc...It can really show you the origin of a leak!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Hey guy, please don't be afraid of washing your engine on a normal basic...A clean engine is a happy engine! Another quick way of finding leaks is cleaning the engine and spraying developer on the suspect area! Developer is a white chalky like paint that you can find at an aircraft parts supply(falcon crest)and it's part of a Dye penetrant kit used for finding cracks in various items rods, cranks, longerons, spars, etc...It can really show you the origin of a leak!
thanks man ill definitely try that out if it keeps leaking. Does anyone know if theres a gasket around the timing sprocket cover or if its JUST RTV sealer? am i being specific enough in description? it looks as though it could be leaking as well and IMO looks as though it would be easier than the Valve covers.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 PM

timing sprocket cover is the valve cover. it has no gasket, just RTV sealer.
To repair that you have to remove most accessories ideler pulley crank pulley. And it is in a tight spot so you may need to have some swivel sockets and wrenches to reach in there to take side cover off
Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by NisTech
timing sprocket cover is the valve cover. it has no gasket, just RTV sealer.
To repair that you have to remove most accessories ideler pulley crank pulley. And it is in a tight spot so you may need to have some swivel sockets and wrenches to reach in there to take side cover off
You're referring to this correct? This is Where the majority of the oil is coming from.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Im sorry my last post was kinda vague, i tried to get the covers off to reseal them but despite removing all of the bolts the cover remains firmly attached to the main timing cover. So, My question is how do you remove these covers to reseal them? Thank you in advance
Old 04-12-2008, 01:33 AM

Cut most of the sealant with an exacto knife, then carefully using a hard rubber mallet or hammer tap on the cover to loosen it! If it still doesn't start lifting get a small ballpeen and a sharp scraper and carefully work your way around each cover! please don't gouge your cover or the timing chain housing! Be very careful!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Cut most of the sealant with an exacto knife, then carefully using a hard rubber mallet or hammer tap on the cover to loosen it! If it still doesn't start lifting get a small ballpeen and a sharp scraper and carefully work your way around each cover! please don't gouge your cover or the timing chain housing! Be very careful!!!
So theres nothing internal holding these things on? i pried with a 3/8ths extension to try to budge it but it wouldnt move at all. so just those 5 bolts?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Has it lifted or began to separate from the housing? More than likely you're hung up on the dowel pins! That sealant is really good that's used by Nissan! I've never seen any of thier mating surfaces leak which had that grey sealant...there nothing attached to the backs just a tight tolerance fit and some really good sealant! Are you sure this is where your leak origiated from?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM

Has it lifted or began to separate from the housing? More than likely you're hung up on the dowel pins! That sealant is really good that's used by Nissan! I've never seen any of thier mating surfaces leak which had that grey sealant...there nothing attached to the backs just a tight tolerance fit and some really good sealant! Are you sure this is where your leak origiated from?
Almost positive, i have taken the car out after wiping down that surface and almost always theres a fresh bead of oil running down the underside of the sprocket covers (on the dowel pin) between the two far-spaced bolts on the bottom. ill try and pull it off again, the first time i didnt want to use too much force because i was afraid of something being attached internally.

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 04-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:18 PM

I tried to pull these covers off again and couldnt, has anyone DONE it?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM

fyi

OK tapping works fine... any old RTV sealer ? Whats best?

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 04-16-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 AM

Check my PM
Also you have to take the whole cover off bud and accessories, motor mount and brackets, ideler pulley, power steering pump etc. THen you have to push pins on side cover where the power steering pump bolts up.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM

naw, just the 5 bolts, the studs make it tricky as it must come off and still stay paralell to the surface. meaning you cant pry up one end and try to pull it off from there.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Check my PM
Also you have to take the whole cover off bud and accessories, motor mount and brackets, ideler pulley, power steering pump etc. THen you have to push pins on side cover where the power steering pump bolts up.
naw, just the 5 bolts, the studs make it tricky as it must come off and still stay paralell to the surface. meaning you cant pry up one end and try to pull it off from there. Oops, sorry to repeat my post
Old 04-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Go get the Factory manuals! Courtesy Nissan sells them in paper copy form or CD form! I have the paper copy set.....
It's a tight fit! Please lift evenly or you will break it... I normally use a scraper and dull screwdriver. But you can tap the scraper in all the way around, working from side to side until it clears the dowel pins... and it should come off!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 PM

oh you just wanna replace those small sprocket covers? Get some putty knife, tap it in one end without damaging the surface and then go to the other side get a small thin screwdrive or another putty knife tap it in with a small hammer and pry at both ends together. It has dowel pins right so f you can even tap the cover with a rubber mallet to get it to wiggle a bit too. Then you have to muscle it in.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Try UV dye to find the leak
Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM

oh you just wanna replace those small sprocket covers? Get some putty knife, tap it in one end without damaging the surface and then go to the other side get a small thin screwdrive or another putty knife tap it in with a small hammer and pry at both ends together. It has dowel pins right so f you can even tap the cover with a rubber mallet to get it to wiggle a bit too. Then you have to muscle it in.
Ya, i found out upon removal that i never even had the oring there, makes me really feel good about who i bought my car from...
Old 04-21-2008, 04:27 PM

alternator or battery? or a bad connection?

Will oil ruin your alternator? my car died but would still idle. the gas pedal wouldnt respond as long as soon as i turned the a/c on. i had to roll start it to get back to my place about 3 miles away, where it wouldnt start after turning it off. i have gotten the brake and battery light but only when at higher rpm's
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 PM

I think I have a similar promlem. I just noticed this today, it doesn't seem bad, and only this cover seems to be misted with oil.

Is that the intake valve timing cover I'm looking at?

Quick Reply: Major Oil Leak ! HELP *Pics*