5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What to look for when purchasing a 5gen

Old 10-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What to look for when purchasing a 5gen

HI all, So i am looking to purchase a 5gen maxima.

Whats the best year I should look at for a auto.

And what should i check when looking / inspecting the car that I am interested in?

Radiator support is in the front I should check under that right?

If I have around 3,000 to spend on a maxima what kind of maxi should I look into and whats the Ideal mileage i should look for / stay away from thanks.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by ReMiXeDg
HI all, So i am looking to purchase a 5gen maxima.

Whats the best year I should look at for a auto.

And what should i check when looking / inspecting the car that I am interested in?

Radiator support is in the front I should check under that right?

If I have around 3,000 to spend on a maxima what kind of maxi should I look into and whats the Ideal mileage i should look for / stay away from thanks.
Like you said, check for rust.. bring a scanner and check for codes and see if all the monitors are good and ready.

rear calipers (check to see if seized)
radiator (see if the top is leaking)
radiator fans (flip on the AC make sure they both work)

If its the 3.5 check the exhaust for any soot which maybe an indication of oil burning.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by QueensMAX
Like you said, check for rust.. bring a scanner and check for codes and see if all the monitors are good and ready.

rear calipers (check to see if seized)
radiator (see if the top is leaking)
radiator fans (flip on the AC make sure they both work)

If its the 3.5 check the exhaust for any soot which maybe an indication of oil burning.

thanks for the reply. how can i check for rear calipers siezed. and also the exhaust check for smoke? or soot whats soot..

also one more question guessing by your username are you from queens ny? is so nice to see someone from there on here im not to far from there
Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ReMiXeDg
thanks for the reply. how can i check for rear calipers siezed. and also the exhaust check for smoke? or soot whats soot..

also one more question guessing by your username are you from queens ny? is so nice to see someone from there on here im not to far from there
Yup in queens. Soot is caked up or oil residue in the exhaust pipe, which is an indication of oil burning. If you are looking for any maxima's or i30's, I can refer some good cars to you..MSG Me..
Old 10-22-2015, 07:37 AM

5th gens are solid since they aren't prone to oil burning like the 5.5 gens. In either case, check for general stuff like rust, engine misses or stumbling, alignment, vibrations, rattles. Make sure the car doesn't pull to one side when braking -- seized caliper(s) if does. Do a long test drive, not just a quick spin around the block, in both the city and highway to check for engine and tranny overheating. Do a cold start yourself without having the owner/dealer already letting the car idle for you when you get there. You'll be surprised at the issues you can pick up when the car's cold that don't show up when it's warmed up. It's worth having a mechanic check out any car you're interested.

Last edited by mclasser; 10-22-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by QueensMAX
Yup in queens. Soot is caked up or oil residue in the exhaust pipe, which is an indication of oil burning. If you are looking for any maxima's or i30's, I can refer some good cars to you..MSG Me..

Thanks for the reply . I'm from ridgewood queens. I'm going to hit you up in about a week or two when I'm ready and if anythin I can throw you a bone for looking out / helping and for your time thanks . My name is greg by the way.

Wow nissan guys are much better than honda games