5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Diagnosing Bad Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
Dave Burnette: 1.888.254.6060.
Oh-awesome thanks. Want to venture a guess on quality of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by gpmax
Oh-awesome thanks. Want to venture a guess on quality of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...Q5fAccessories
No idea. As far as I'm concerned, it's either OEM, ES or go home.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
No idea. As far as I'm concerned, it's either OEM, ES or go home.

I'm home. Going with stock from Dave B. by doing an auto to manual motor mount swap so I can unplug the dangerous ECU shorting electric auto ones.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well the thumping noise from under the car wasnt bad mounts but actually the hanger from the ypipe ripped through the rubber mount that holds it in place. I got a clamp and put it around and tightened it hard and its fine now
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pbn85
well the thumping noise from under the car wasnt bad mounts but actually the hanger from the ypipe ripped through the rubber mount that holds it in place. I got a clamp and put it around and tightened it hard and its fine now
I'll have to try that, I put the y-pipe on myself so I'll go back and check the hanger.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by pbn85
Do you have any pictures so i can see how you did yours, I'll have to check mine when I get back from vacation. thanks
Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Motor mount Qeustion

I have a 04 max and the front motor mount has a wire coming out of it any reason y? is this a senor?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2005 max and it's been a headache since Oct '09... First diagnoised was timing chain at 80K maybe a little less...which took 3 mths to say that it was.. Nissan wanted 1700.00 to repair.. Finally found a mechanic that owns a shop in the family that I just met at a reunion.. He said bring it to my shop and I will check it for you and fix for just the parts price, b/c the car is very nice but shouldn't be the timing chain with those miles.. Car was jerking at 20mph, ticking when it cranked up, anti freeze smell.. so i said what the check.. had it towed to him last wednesday.. He has called everyday with update.. front and back end of transmission cracked, bad lifter on back of motor, now motor mount is totally shot. Would any of this cause my car to jerk.. He said should be able to have repaired by tomorrow, but he sees nothing wrong with my timing chain.. I'm so lost and probably would never buy another nissan again. I have one more yr to pay for it and I'll be done. I don't want to trade b/c i want to be car payment free for a while. Any input....
Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Little74
I have a 2005 max and it's been a headache since Oct '09... First diagnoised was timing chain at 80K maybe a little less...which took 3 mths to say that it was.. Nissan wanted 1700.00 to repair.. Finally found a mechanic that owns a shop in the family that I just met at a reunion.. He said bring it to my shop and I will check it for you and fix for just the parts price, b/c the car is very nice but shouldn't be the timing chain with those miles.. Car was jerking at 20mph, ticking when it cranked up, anti freeze smell.. so i said what the check.. had it towed to him last wednesday.. He has called everyday with update.. front and back end of transmission cracked, bad lifter on back of motor, now motor mount is totally shot. Would any of this cause my car to jerk.. He said should be able to have repaired by tomorrow, but he sees nothing wrong with my timing chain.. I'm so lost and probably would never buy another nissan again. I have one more yr to pay for it and I'll be done. I don't want to trade b/c i want to be car payment free for a while. Any input....
Ah, the value of a TRUSTED, HONEST mechanic.
I called my Nissan ds a few months back, asked them what to do about Pinging (pre-det) and they said the same thing...Timing Chain.
What a joke. i laughed out LOUD at the guy on the phone.

Bad Motor mounts could and would make your car jerk off-throttle, esp. if they're REALLy messed-up.
Hmmpf - tranny cracked too...that'd be an EXTREME case from the bad mounts.
Best to get THOSE fixed asap, and other than the cost of the parts, not a huge deal to replace.
Dunno what to tell you about the tranny and lifter tho.

i'm WITH ya on the no car-payment thing.

gr
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 2000 Maxima SE with auto...had the right front bumping noise and I seemed to have alot of engine road noise and I just had my mechanic check/replace all three mounts ..he said the mount under the tranny had completely collapsed and the two engine mounts were collapsed as well ...got car back today and its very quiet and tight on the front now and the engine road noise is gone....makes it seem new again...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know where I can find installation instructions for ES inserts for 02 6spd, been lookin for 30 min & can't find anything. Thanks