5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Violent shaking on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Violent shaking on the highway

I've experienced this recently and my wife also stated she felt it to (though I doubted it at the time since she was a piece of road that is usually rough). Basically once I hit 100km's (60mph) on the highway yesterday the car was shaking so much I had to get off. It seemed like it was all front end and I can see the hood going crazy as well. I'm taking the car in this weekend, but can anyone give a pre-determined idea on the issue? I'm guessing engine mounts. But this does not happen all the time as this morning was fine.

I think I will have other suspension work to do as this winter has been horrible on lowered cars.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Have you eliminated out of balance tires as a possibility?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Have you eliminated out of balance tires as a possibility?
It is possible as I know I'm in need of an alignment but I am waiting until I replace ball joints etc.

Its is pretty extreme however. More then I've ever witnessed and having the VB mod with the hard first gear I can see an engine mount failure. Generally speaking from what I know with a bad alignment the car is still driveable. Just wondering if anyone has had this exterme shaking before.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 AM

You may have ice/snow in the wheels. I've had this happen several times this year after a good snowfall. A quick car wash has always solved it.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:05 AM

The cause of the shaking could be a number of things:
  1. Bad tire(s) (separated tread or another problem)
  2. Improper tire inflation
  3. Improper tire balance (caused by missing weights or snow in the wheel)
  4. Misalignment
  5. Bad tie rod(s)
  6. Bad steering rack
  7. Bad wheel(s)
These are just a few of the possible causes of shaking at highway or lower speeds. Engine mounts in my opinion would be one of the very last things I would suspect because a bad engine mount would have other characteristics.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM

does it shake anyother speeds? if its at 60 i think thats tires
Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 AM

I Say you threw a weight on one or both of your front tires. You can try rotating the front tires to the back and see if it goes away. that of course assumes the rear tires didnt throw any weights. Easy way to tell My guess by the looks of the nice rims is they used stick on wieghts so look for a spot on the inside of the rim where weights have been glued on if you see a spot that looks like there was something there before DING DING DING you found your problem. Stick on weights are know for coming off.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 02Blackout
I Say you threw a weight on one or both of your front tires. You can try rotating the front tires to the back and see if it goes away. that of course assumes the rear tires didnt throw any weights. Easy way to tell My guess by the looks of the nice rims is they used stick on wieghts so look for a spot on the inside of the rim where weights have been glued on if you see a spot that looks like there was something there before DING DING DING you found your problem. Stick on weights are know for coming off.

Good luck
The rims are off for the winter. Got some nice ugly winter rims on with snow tires . Thanks or the input. gives me more avenues to look at. I'll have it checked this weekend.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

My car was doing this (just last week) and it was my front tires. One of them was actually close to "blowing". There was actually an indentation in the tire. The uneven wear came from bad struts (Tokico) that need replacing.

The other cause could be a CV joint, but you'd tend to have a lot of noise with that one as well.

Like the others, I bet it is your alignment and one or both tires are shot (in front) because of it. Who knows though, maybe it is something as simple as getting the tires balanced (like someone mentioned)
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM
retired moderator

you guys are stretching. Violent vibration only at those higher speeds is clearly indicative of really one of three things:
1. tire is out of balance
2. tire or wheel is out of round
3. lug nuts are loose.

The vibration described seems VERY unlikely to be CV-joing, balljoint, tie rod, tire inflation, alignment, or anything other than what I mentioned above.

There is a really easy way to rule out all three of those things: put your other set of wheels on!!! If it stops, you know it is wheel/tire-related. If not, you know it's something else.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM

that happen to me before. The next day, my axle snapped.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem with the shaking... only i had it at all speeds. This is what i did.

New rotors and pads all around
New tires all around
Front and rear allignment

Im not sure what solved the problem (i needed everything); however i did all of the above and there is no vibration if im going 20 or 120.

Peace,
Blindoufit
Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Where do you live? I bet the wheels have snow or ice in them. Makes wheels go off balance.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 PM

I had a violent shaking like this in my Probe and it ended up the bolt had backed out that bolted the Pilot bearing for the passenger half-shaft to the block, and the shaft was vibrating, but idk if these cars have the same kinda deal with a pilot bearing and such..just a thought..
Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
I had a violent shaking like this in my Probe and it ended up the bolt had backed out that bolted the Pilot bearing for the passenger half-shaft to the block, and the shaft was vibrating, but idk if these cars have the same kinda deal with a pilot bearing and such..just a thought..
they do, but when that happens there should be vibrations throughout the range rather than just at high speeds, IMO.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM

True, but it only did it changing lanes or above 60 in my case, so who knows..
Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

For the last 3 days I was having horrible vibrations as well in one of my front wheels/tires. It was due to a ton of snow having built up on the backside of the wheel thanks to our two day blizzard. Once it melted, smooth as silk once again.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:55 PM

If u are driving in snow, take the advice previously given and look for the least expensive cause - ice and/or snow on the rims. This is very common and also very surprising that even a relatively small amount of snow/ice will cause very violent shaking at speed. It happens to me a few times every winter.

If you can't get the car somewhere to completely thaw, then a drive thru car wash is the best solution. If that doesn't solve the problem, then look to the other (more expensive) issues noted.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Hey I get the vibration to i think its my axles cause they worn out and needs replacement i will replace soon and see what happens it could be as well wheel bearing on its way.

Regards,

Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all, I got the vibration too.. It happened after parking my car in some fairly high snow one evening, car ride home was violent to say the least. I park indoors so it thawed overnight and then was fine the next day.

A while after, noticed the steering wheel was off alignment (but didnt hit any thing.. I was thinking) Anyhow turned out the ball joint was messed up.. Just my two cents.

I'm a newbie, love this forum!!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 AM

So far I haven't had the shaking since Sunday. Hopefully it was snow/ice. Stupid snow. We are breaking records amounts of snow here and it's killing lowered cars as the amount of snow and constant clean-ups are causing HUGE potholes. So many that at times you can't avoid it. Anywho if there are some repaires needed the city will be getting the bill
Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
you guys are stretching. Violent vibration only at those higher speeds is clearly indicative of really one of three things:
1. tire is out of balance
2. tire or wheel is out of round
3. lug nuts are loose.

The vibration described seems VERY unlikely to be CV-joing, balljoint, tie rod, tire inflation, alignment, or anything other than what I mentioned above.

There is a really easy way to rule out all three of those things: put your other set of wheels on!!! If it stops, you know it is wheel/tire-related. If not, you know it's something else.

I agree my i just took my car in this week for the same problem and he said rack and pinion is leaking and same with the CV joint. My car also pulls to the left and right really hard to after i lowered it. But he said those to problem will cause the car to shake on the freeway and also when slowing down. It going to cost about $1500 for parts and labor. But My car is just bearly under warranty so i just have to pay a small deductable for everthing. Hope this helps
Old 12-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Same problem here as well...
i got stuck because the plows plowed me in, i rocked the car back and forth spun the tires alot.
car was fine, i get on the highway shifting fine, i get to 55-60 on and the car shakes so bad i got off kicked the snow off and still shakes.
tires are inflated properly i dont know what else to think any one have an idea?
2002 SE 6Spd stock rims
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Play with my balls

Check all your lugs to make sure they're torqued. Mine backed out on me and my wheel almost fell off. Check those for sure.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:47 PM

I would say out of balanced or out of round tires maybe CV joint.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:01 PM

been there done that, time for a new axle. I'm about to change mine again. the last one i got was used and at the time raxles didnt have any for my car. so i got one used. its been a year so it was good while it lasted (thats what she said)
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 PM

When I had this happen on my first sentra one of the strut to knuckle bolts was coming loose. I would get under there and tighten everything done and give it at least a quick look over before taking it in, but get it checked out too.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Redsox200458
Same problem here as well...
i got stuck because the plows plowed me in, i rocked the car back and forth spun the tires alot.
car was fine, i get on the highway shifting fine, i get to 55-60 on and the car shakes so bad i got off kicked the snow off and still shakes.
tires are inflated properly i dont know what else to think any one have an idea?
2002 SE 6Spd stock rims
I just about guarantee you still have some snow in one or 2 of the wheels causing it. Take it to a car wash and spray the wheels with warm water on the front and back side of the wheels. If its still doing it after that, then look into other options (i.e. tire balance, bent rim, etc.)
Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 AM

There might be snow in your rims, Happened to me this weekend and my father said spray off your tires/rims and poof problem gone.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

it snowed here also couple days ago. you mean to tell me i might have snow in my wheels? no matter if you guys are right or not that sounds crazy
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM

You sure the inside surface of your wheels are full of ice/snow that's stuck to the wheel causing this major imbalance?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by KanataMax
If u are driving in snow, take the advice previously given and look for the least expensive cause - ice and/or snow on the rims. This is very common and also very surprising that even a relatively small amount of snow/ice will cause very violent shaking at speed. It happens to me a few times every winter.

If you can't get the car somewhere to completely thaw, then a drive thru car wash is the best solution. If that doesn't solve the problem, then look to the other (more expensive) issues noted.
So true. You need to look at this first.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 AM

I have the same problem! all new ball joints, new CV axles! no snow tho. still Violent shaking on the highway! 50+ mph!!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM

wow you just bumped a thread thats 3 years old!.......NOOB...