5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

i think it's leaking tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:53 AM

i think it's leaking tranny oil

With the crappy weather we've had this weekend in Canada, I was stuck in the snow and was able to free myself by rocking my way out...after I came out, I noticed several red spots where the car was stuck. So after cleaning out the driveway, I put the car back and after a good hour, didnt see any more spots on the ground (threw some powdered snow to make it more visible). So my questions are:
1) I'm sure the red fluid is transmission oil...is this correct?
2) can it be that it only leaks when it's in gear and not idling in park? loose hose/cracked pan?
3) Do we have a low transmission oil indication? If not, apart from the tranny stick, is there anyway to tell I'm very very low before my tranny seizes?

It's a 01 SE with Automatic...

thanks in advance guys...
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by takkar
With the crappy weather we've had this weekend in Canada, I was stuck in the snow and was able to free myself by rocking my way out...after I came out, I noticed several red spots where the car was stuck. So after cleaning out the driveway, I put the car back and after a good hour, didnt see any more spots on the ground (threw some powdered snow to make it more visible). So my questions are:
1) I'm sure the red fluid is transmission oil...is this correct?
2) can it be that it only leaks when it's in gear and not idling in park? loose hose/cracked pan?
3) Do we have a low transmission oil indication? If not, apart from the tranny stick, is there anyway to tell I'm very very low before my tranny seizes?

It's a 01 SE with Automatic...

My tranny is also greasy, but I check the level once awhile to make sure it isn't low.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:16 PM

can it be that it only leaks when it's in gear and not idling in park? loose hose/cracked pan?

It could be that its leaking while in gear. Your best bet is to keep an eye on your dipstick and monitor how the car shifts in case you have to take it to a transmission shop.

By monitoring its performance you can give them a better idea as to what the problem is and maybe save yourself some money in repair costs if it has to be worked on.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM

called to get an appt with my mechanic and he says it could be the transmission "sweating". no clue what that means.

Also, I notice that the drops appear on the passenger side front of the car.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM

called to get an appt with my mechanic and he says it could be the transmission "sweating". no clue what that means.

Also, I notice that the drops appear on the passenger side front of the car.
I heard that term "sweating" when I had my Saab 9000. It turned out the mechanic didn't know where the oil was leaking from. I finally found a shop who used dye and a black light and found that I needed a new oil sending unit gasket. I would get a 2nd opinion.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I heard that term "sweating" when I had my Saab 9000. It turned out the mechanic didn't know where the oil was leaking from. I finally found a shop who used dye and a black light and found that I needed a new oil sending unit gasket. I would get a 2nd opinion.
mine does this too. always greasy, but never drops.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM

sweating is normal and includes no drops. Sweating is a darker area that looks darker due to fluid slowly coming out like sweat (not dripping). It is darker cause dirt sticks to that oil film as you drive
Oil film is the word.
But if you see drops it means that you brushed you off. It's leaking.
And sweat will not cause fluid level to go down. May loose a drop a week or less