5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wheel bearing?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Wheel bearing?...

I have 140K on the car and I hear a hum sound across the RPM range and occassional thud-thud coming from passenger side wheel area. I am quite certain it isn't the pulley or the axles.

I was wondering if it a wheel bearing problem and do I replace the hub or the bearing alone ... (the price difference between hub assembly vs bearing is insignificant compared to the effort in getting the new bearings pressed in and old ones taken out).

Any suggestions.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM

I replaced both on mine for that just incase the hub goes bad scenario
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM

My max is actually at the shop now getting my wheel hub replaced. It was originally taken in for just the bearing but when they took it about they said the whole hub was broken so I told them to replace both. It sounded like someone was tapping a small hammer under the drivers side of my car.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 PM

When my driver side bearing went bad, I had to replace the hub because I didn't know what the problem was and time had gone by. When my passenger side went, I took it in as soon as i could but unfortunately the hub was rusting so i had to replace it anyway. I'm still trying to find a shop that is cheaper than the dealership and reputable. But if i hear any kind of noise coming from the wheels, I just take it to my cousin at goodyear so he can diagnose the problem.

The key is to fix the bearing asap.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks folks, the thing I hate about the problem on hand is I have tried out all the exercises to determine a bearing issue and all have come back negative.

All this started after my wife took her eyes of the road and reached for her glasses at 20-30MPH and hit the curb next to our home (glad she did not bust the PS high pressure lines).
Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Driving is the next best thing

As far as I know, it's better to change both the bearing and the hub, since often when bearing breaks it also damages the hub.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Yap, I stand correct, just found the confirmation:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...60&postcount=5
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As an automotive technician I would like to know how the hub is damaged if the bearing has some play? Do you neglect to fix the problem during the first warning signs such and a hum at speed or noise while turning left or right? Do you continue to drive till the race and bearing completely disintegrates, even it this case I haven't seen a hub damaged but I have seen excessive wear in the caliper bracket from the rotor rubbing it from a bearing with extreme play to the point you could hear a knock while stopped and turning the wheels from left to right. I worked as a Hyundai technician so I replaced wheel bearings every day. I would like to see pics of the damage. I have seen incompetent technicians ruin a hub or spindle from pressing the bearing out or in from incorrectly supporting it in the press.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

For as many miles on your vehicle, it probably would be a good idea to replace the hub. In order to be sure, you'd have to take it to a machine shop to measure the runout inside the hub.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by nlmaxima
As an automotive technician I would like to know how the hub is damaged if the bearing has some play? Do you neglect to fix the problem during the first warning signs such and a hum at speed or noise while turning left or right? Do you continue to drive till the race and bearing completely disintegrates, even it this case I haven't seen a hub damaged but I have seen excessive wear in the caliper bracket from the rotor rubbing it from a bearing with extreme play to the point you could hear a knock while stopped and turning the wheels from left to right. I worked as a Hyundai technician so I replaced wheel bearings every day. I would like to see pics of the damage. I have seen incompetent technicians ruin a hub or spindle from pressing the bearing out or in from incorrectly supporting it in the press.

Or using the wrong size bearing drivers
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

I'm getting very similar problem now (noise from the front bottom), but it disappears when cruising in neutral, or clutch disengaged, or going in reverse. It gets worse in cold weather, harder and louder. I can even feel it with my feet. Did you guys notice something like this? I'm totally lost now, not even know where this sh%^^t is coming from so far. Need some orientation, please.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

Originally Posted by nlmaxima
I tend to agree... people say this because they think it or their 'mechanic' said so, but no ones ever given a good reason I never replaced mine when I did the bearing.. I'm not too worried about it...
Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 AM

Thats a bit odd. My '01 Maxima makes a weird noise on the passenger side when making turns. I am almost positive it's not the CV Axel, it's not a "clicking" noise, but more like a rubbing kind of noise. It kind of reminds me of rubber rubbing on rubber. I took a peak under the car today, with a flashlight but I didn't see any signs of anything rubbing on something.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 AM

I think I am in the preliminary stages of a worn out bearing.. it is nowhere close to ruined or broken. No sounds when turning the wheel just the constant hum from the wheel. It just started so I don't see it ruining the hub in any way. It is a good PM to get the hub replaced with the number of miles I have on my vehicle, but they don't come cheap. Hub + bearing to run upto $150/side...

Any suggestions...
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 AM

If the car ran without any front end vibrations before you started hearing the noise I would have to say that new hubs are a waste of money. I do suggest a wheel alignment after the wheel bearing is replaced. The only time I would suggest replacing a hub is if there is excessive run out, which usually happened from an accident(bent hub). Replace the bearing or both bearings if you have a lot of miles on them ASAP.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Front end vibrations have definetly increased. I have replaced every damn thing on the suspension, struts, LBJs, tie-rods, bushings, you name it.

This is the website I ususally get my stuff...
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294967021+9265

They have SKF, Timken and OE (whose price is off the world, $100) and a few others...

Any suggestions which one is good (though Iam inclined for SKF).
Old 01-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Probably

It is probably the wheel bearing. I bought a 2001 Maxima SE from a dealer. and had to replace the left wheel bearing. I heard wierd noises from the driver side wheel. costs u anywhere between 150 to 250 bucks..
By the way, I bought my car for 10,650 from a dealer. It was 78350K, metallic dark grey color, has Sunroof, 8way pwr driver, 4way pwr passenger heated leather seats, 17 inch wheels, relatively new tires, traction control, bose stereo, automatic climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror, carpeted trunk lid.

I may not have had the best deal. But is it a good deal??
Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by aphiguy

I may not have had the best deal. But is it a good deal??
I've seen them around here for around $9000 or so. Depending on your area, what you paid might well be the going rate for an '01 with your mileage.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:34 PM

have you checked your motor mounts?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM

I had the same problem. its either your motor mounts or your wheel bearings. check em out
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 AM

I am almost certain it is the bearings. I have ordered TIMKEN bearings as its build was the best compared to the Federal Mogul and SKF bearings..

Now coming to installing them, is there any BKM to follow. I need the hub puller and bearing puller/press to get going right. If I am unsuccessful in getting these tools for rent, do I have to take off the ABS sensor at the wheel end to take the whole steering knucle to a local shop.

There was someone who removed the ABS sensor at the wheel end and destroyed it.

Any suggestions would help getting the installation of the new bearings going?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Before you go and get these bearings as all your bad bearing tests came back negative. Check your motor mounts.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
Before you go and get these bearings as all your bad bearing tests came back negative. Check your motor mounts.
All the bearing tests did come back negative. One thing though when I go over uneven roads or even threadles on the highways, the vehicle will only jerk left to right when going over the threadles on the left side and not on the right. This does not happen when I drive my other vehicle.

I know it isn't the mounts becoz I have a feeling when mounts get ruined.

There may be a shake in the wheel under load i.e on the road and not when jacked up. As I a said, it is begining to fail, and I bet if I drove it another 6 months with the present problem, it would fail the bearing test while jacked up.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 AM

I suggest you to go check it out at the garage while ask him to check if the hub is allright ask him to see it, if not just change the bearing, I got it done on my car just last week, passenger side, making a lot of noise ! Now its peacefull and quiet !
Old 01-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by hazardeyes
I suggest you to go check it out at the garage while ask him to check if the hub is allright ask him to see it, if not just change the bearing, I got it done on my car just last week, passenger side, making a lot of noise ! Now its peacefull and quiet !
Did you get it done at the dealership or DIY? I want to take the entire hub/knucle to the local shop and get the old ones pushed out and new ones put in. The only thingy that bothers me is the ABS sensor. I am going to take it off and hopefully it comes off w/o any issues. If it resists, then I will take the vehicle to the shop and have them do the job.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 AM

I have the same problem too.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

What is the deal with Maxima wheel bearings? Never touched them on either of my Celicas, Accord or 626 and I took the Celicas and Accord well past 200,000 miles and the 626 had 163,300 miles on it when it was totaled.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
What is the deal with Maxima wheel bearings? Never touched them on either of my Celicas, Accord or 626 and I took the Celicas and Accord well past 200,000 miles and the 626 had 163,300 miles on it when it was totaled.
I would blame it on the lousy CA highways... Well there is a saying "Old is Gold". I doubt my new highlander's bearings will last the 140K put on my maxima.

Premature failure of bearings or any other part on the vehicle is all subjecytive and it finally comes to cost cutting. My freaking stealership quoted $500 for one side, these stealerships are waiting for some person to come by their counter and get ripped off. With a recession, falling auto sales, if they bring such a rip off attitute to previous owners, I don't know how long they can hold onto their jobs.

I got the ones online for $45 and installation at carquest for $40 (lowest quote, looks like labor has increased 100%) a side. I am getting both sides done well below $200.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I hear ya! When I needed a new axle for my old Accord (boot ripped and killed the CV joint), the dealer wanted nearly $300. I found an independent mechanic who did it for $150 and had my car done in a couple of hours (his axle rebuilder is in the same business complex)...and that axle lasted from 90,000 miles to at least 280,000+ miles, which is when I sold the car. I'd say nearly 200k miles on it is pretty impressive!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
where is the list for how to check if it is a bearing?

I get loud "doo doomp's" from the front right when I hit uneven spots in the road going 40+ mph, kinda sounds like the wheel is going to fall off

At Firestone when they did my alignment they said my "tie rods had play in them"???
Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

All you need to do it get the tire off the ground and yank on it. If there is bearing play, you will feel it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM

All you need to do it get the tire off the ground and yank on it. If there is bearing play, you will feel it.
thank-you very much!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 AM

im getting a similar symptom on my car and its my passanger axel assembly that is going bad..
Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM

I also have the same problems, there is a clicking sound on the passenger side. Im sure its coming from thelower section. I hear it only when im turning left and going staright at low rpms, however if i put it in neutral and turn left you dont hear it sometimes. At first I thought it was the axle, I already replaced the axle, the noise went away for a day and came back. I have yet to figure out what the problem is.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Me too....bad bearing.

I was having some strange noises from my passenger wheel after a long roadtrip this past week. Droning at speed on the hwy, and vibration.

I just jacked-up my front-end and sure as $hite...loose wheel = Bad bearing! 60k miles on the car.
I have to say, my lowered susp. prob. didn't help, but all things considered - I'm surprised it lasted THIS long. I took a REALLY HARD hit from a pothole just recently, and think that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Can anyone comment on whether I should have BOTH bearings replaced at the same time?? Should I insist on name-brand replacements?? or OEM!?

--and how will I know if I've damaged the hub/abs assemblies???-- I don't want to get ripped-off at the mechanic.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 01-18-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Just had brakes done and it appears it wasnt a wheel bearing. Im thinkin blown strut or tie rods. Things like this are not easy to diagnose and a pita
Old 01-18-2008, 05:10 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Odds are the bearing is the only thing you will have to replace, even though there was noticable play in my wheel when you pulled on it, the only damage was to the bearing--well, and the ABS rotor due to rubbing from the slop in the wheel. Definitely take care of it before that happens or you need to replace the axle too if those rotor teeth get messed up.

If the other bearing is fine, you don't have to replace it. The failure with my bearing was directly the result of whoever last touched them not reassembling them correctly which allowed the castle nut to back off. I asked my mechanic about the other one and he said we caught the problem in time and it was fine. He said the fact he wasn't trying to sell me a bearing for the other side ought to tell me about the condition it was in.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by driftmax
I also have the same problems, there is a clicking sound on the passenger side. Im sure its coming from thelower section. I hear it only when im turning left and going staright at low rpms, however if i put it in neutral and turn left you dont hear it sometimes. At first I thought it was the axle, I already replaced the axle, the noise went away for a day and came back. I have yet to figure out what the problem is.
would my problem be the bearing too? doubt it, because the bearing doesnt make a knocking sound
Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

make sure that your wheels are balanced
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM

thats definately not the problem.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing?...