5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Had a shop do some regular maintence, now a bit worried.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Had a shop do some regular maintence, now a bit worried.

Okay so i have about 58k on the max and the last time I had it at the dealer, they recommended that i flush out the p/s, brake and trans fluid. So i got around to doing it today and dropped it off and had it done at the Goodyear location near my house. They are very well trusted and they have serviced our other family members and neighbors cars without any complaints. So i pick up my car and I got a chance to talk to the tech that worked on it. I'm pretty picky when it comes to maintenance on the car and I asked him what all he used to replace the fluids. He mentioned that he used BG products. I've heard of them and he said that most dealerships now use BG products to flush systems which is true because my local Nissan dealer does. He told me that he replaced the trans what mercon/dexron III which sounded good and now heres were the problems arise. He told me he used the BG brake flush kit on my car which is a bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid. Now doesn't it specifically say on the cap "DOT 3". Is that going to affect anything in the long run? Also he used the BG p/s flush kit which was a caramel color instead of the reddish color that was in there before. He told me that both fluids used meet or exceed factory specs. I told him that if anything goes wrong with my car, i will make sure i hand them the bill while Nissan fixes there screw up.

I also noticed that the brake master cylinder was overfill and that my pedal feels a bit mushy, could that be the reason for it? the overfill?

I'm mostly worried about the seals and stuff in the brake system and the the p/s pump. I just don't want some cheap fluids to cost me later on down that road.

Cliffs:
-Dropped car of at local shop
-They may have used the wrong fluids (Not recommended by Nissan)
-Now i'm worried about condition of parts being lubricated.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
No more Maximas...

DOT 4 is backwards compatible with DOT 3. The only thing you don't want in there is DOT 5.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Cletus

from the manual

Brake and clutch fluid
Genuine Nissan Brake Fluid or equivalent DOT 3 (US FMVSS No. 116)
Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 PM

is the p/s fluid trans fluid? im pretty sure it is but like i stated earlier they used this caramel colored fluid.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nk2k2
is the p/s fluid trans fluid? im pretty sure it is but like i stated earlier they used this caramel colored fluid.
yes
its in your owners manual
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...p?dept%5Fid=37
Old 11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As for the mushy brakes, quickly double & triple tap them while driving to see if they work noticeably better the 2nd or 3rd time you press the pedal. Sounds like there could be some air in the lines.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 PM

what would that do? would that allow the EBD to kick in? i think it is that the brake fluid is over the max line? when they do the brake flush how would air go in the system because the compressed air forces out the air in the lines. im not sure if im making sense but thats how it works.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Not sure how there 'flush machine' works, but the conventional way of changing brake fluid is to individual bleed each wheel in the proper order until clean fluid comes out. But regardless of how they do it, there is no possible way to get all of the old fluid out without cracking each bleeder screw. Whether or not there machine attaches directly to each bleeder screw I dunno.

Nope to the EBD thing, actually no fifth gen's have that iirc, only ABS. Pumping the pedal in the way listed above will confirm whether there is air in the lines or not, it will compress the air with each subsequent pump, brake fluid does not compress at all, air does.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Best test to check if there is air in your brake lines is to simply bleed the brakes. The process is very simple if you have two people (one to compress the brake pedal) and one to turn a wrench (the bleeder valve). If brake fluids sputters out of the valve (on any of the wheels), then you have air in your lines. Make sure the wrench turner keeps an eye out on the brake fluid level so that you don't introduce more air into your system.

Since you've just gotten work done on your car, the process is even simpler. Take the car back to the Goodyear shop and tell them that your brakes feel mushy and you'd like for them to fix it. 'nuff said.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Nice link! Thank you