5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting problems, resolved with $$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Made in Taiwan

Starting problems, resolved with $$$

Few weeks ago, car started to start slowly, I'd need to do mulitple cranks a couple times to get it to turn and fire.

Last week, I opened the hood and found the starter to be very badly corroded at the covering. I didn't mind that as long as I can get it to start. It died last Thursday for good, the starter died, didn't respond. Tapped it a couple times, and it came to try to start again, but it only clicks multiple times, but crankshaft won't turn at all. Replaced the starter by myself, 129 bucks from O'reilly Autoparts, and the same clicking occured, but crank won't turn.

Paid 100 bucks to have it towed to dealership, checked out, and determined that the battery was bad. Charged me 160 bucks for diagnose and replace the danm battery.

Lesson learned here, a bad battery that can be replaced for 90 bucks in the very first place, I spent about 400 bucks going through the whole ordeal. Since I've done so much work on my 4th gen maxima before, I should have known better than emptying my pocket at the dealership. Anyways, just want to vent off the anger a little bit.

-Peter-
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM

1 word...
OUCH...
1 word of advise when you are having problems "starting" your car always have the battery tested at your local aoutoparts store for FREE... then see where to go from there.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM

i had the same problem. new oem starter cost me $320... and $60 for core change. damnit.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 AM

Good on ya for doing it yerself.....

But always start with the cheapest, easiest, and most obvious failure point (part) first.
That's advice for others, not you --!
You've suffered enough, my son!

gr
Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by GodFather
Replaced the starter by myself, 129 bucks from O'reilly Autoparts, and the same clicking occured, but crank won't turn.

Paid 100 bucks to have it towed to dealership, checked out, and determined that the battery was bad. Charged me 160 bucks for diagnose and replace the danm battery.
So the starter never was the issue? If you still have the old one, did you get it tested?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by Yayomax
So the starter never was the issue? If you still have the old one, did you get it tested?

Starter was never the issue, but it's a stock starter on 90k miles, the outer motor cover was all corroded and stuff, so I didn't even bother trying to return the O'reiley starter for my stock starter.

The car runs great now.

-Peter-
Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM

Did you get the higher amperage more tooth count starter?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Made in Taiwan

No, it's the same starter, I think. I did do a quick count on both stock and reman starters, and they are both 12, if I'm not mistaking it when I was counting.

However, after the battery replacement, I have no problems at all with the car.

-Peter-
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Hurting...physically...

Originally Posted by GodFather
Few weeks ago, car started to start slowly, I'd need to do mulitple cranks a couple times to get it to turn and fire.

Last week, I opened the hood and found the starter to be very badly corroded at the covering. I didn't mind that as long as I can get it to start. It died last Thursday for good, the starter died, didn't respond. Tapped it a couple times, and it came to try to start again, but it only clicks multiple times, but crankshaft won't turn at all. Replaced the starter by myself, 129 bucks from O'reilly Autoparts, and the same clicking occured, but crank won't turn.

Lesson learned here, a bad battery that can be replaced for 90 bucks in the very first place, I spent about 400 bucks going through the whole ordeal. Since I've done so much work on my 4th gen maxima before, I should have known better than emptying my pocket at the dealership. Anyways, just want to vent off the anger a little bit.

-Peter-
Funny enough, I had a similar problem just the past couple of days starting on Sunday. My 5th Gen wouldn't start either. I was at home and plugged it into a battery charger thinking it was the battery first off - mine was a Kirkland Signature (just over 3 yrs old from Costco). A couple of more cranks later it started. Went to Costco the next day and changed the battery in the parking lot and paid 40% for the new one (100 month warranty). The car started fine the next couple of times so I thought that was it.....

Then yesterday it wouldn't start at all. After reading about starter symptoms I decided to take the starter out. After about 2 hrs of wrestling with clips (some of which I broke), wires and the 14mm bolt being right behind the odometer cable, I finally took it out and got it tested and it failed. Got a remanufactured Bosch starter and put it in (another 1.5 hrs) and now it starts up fine. But man was that hard to install for me.

So I guess I was similar to your situation but starting with the battery first. I didn't have it tested but replaced it. I also got lucky since I didn't have to tow my car. However, that starter replacement was a real PITA - I'm hurting today. I guess in your situation you could also look at it as money that you'll have to spend sometimes. If you can replace starters by yourself without too much difficulty you've probably saved enough to pay for that extra cost this time around.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
skc

Always check connections first. Then take battery to parts store for FREE check. Cheapest and easiest things to do before you start replacing starters and hiring tow trucks. Most auto parts stores can also test your starter if you are able to remove it and take it into them. They also test alternators.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Rich1
After about 2 hrs of wrestling with clips (some of which I broke), wires and the 14mm bolt being right behind the odometer cable, I finally took it out and got it tested and it failed. Got a remanufactured Bosch starter and put it in (another 1.5 hrs) and now it starts up fine. But man was that hard to install for me.
Ugh, sounds like the PITA the starter was in my sister's old '85 Maxima. One of the bolts holes was completely blind and I never was able to get that 3rd bolt in. Seemed to work fine for the next couple of years she had the car.