5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 body feels like a boat ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 PM

02 body feels like a boat ride

Something strange happend on my car today. I have a 02 i35 and I went over a bump and the rear end of the car went to the left it seemed like and now feels as if the rear end of the car is going to fall out lol. I hear alot of strut noise in the rear driver side area. Feels as if the entire car is unstable if I go over a speed bump or any large bump lol.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:42 AM

Jack the rear of the car up and check for any broken suspension parts. Visibly inspect the struts for any damage and proceed from there.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Handle this today if you're going to drive the car. I'm not usually an alarmist but you don't want to be driving a car that suffers a catastrophic suspension failure. You can go from driver to passenger in the blink of an eye.

As Subway said, do an inspection. It will probably be obvious when you get under there. Either that or have someone look at it.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Something strange happend on my car today. I have a 02 i35 and I went over a bump and the rear end of the car went to the left it seemed like and now feels as if the rear end of the car is going to fall out lol. I hear alot of strut noise in the rear driver side area. Feels as if the entire car is unstable if I go over a speed bump or any large bump lol.
Check out your trailing arm bushings. I bet they are more than ready for replacement.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Check out your trailing arm bushings. I bet they are more than ready for replacement.
I will jack the car up most likely today as the squeaking and noise from the rear suspension is just unbearable at times, and plus a i have some struts laying around in the garage so im onna try to install them today and see if that helps out. Some. I did jack the car up the other day because the rear driver side seems to be making the most noise. And now I know why my car was shaking so bad at a certain speed like it was going to fall apart. the suspension was rubbing against the rear pass tire leaving uneven/ flat spots on the tire.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
Jack the rear of the car up and check for any broken suspension parts. Visibly inspect the struts for any damage and proceed from there.
I had a feeling that the noise was isolated to the rear driver side strut but was not sure until i looked in the trunk.

To my surprise the driver side rear strut mount had come apart at the top. The 2 top bolts were still attached to the car, but once i removed the strut from the car, the mount came apart as well as the ring and the spring itself. Its no wonder the car felt unstable and every bump it would bounce so much. Luckily i had a spare strut laying around and installed it and now everything is back to normal!!
Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Ouch.... I'm telling you old cars need s a lot of love. I'm going to give my 01 to my son, and will be inspecting every single screw bolt and hose before he can drive it
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 AM

trust your gut !, glad it wasnt too bad, nice that you can do yourself.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM

did you find find those shocks at the junkyard? i notice the green mark on it just wondering.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
did you find find those shocks at the junkyard? i notice the green mark on it just wondering.
Yes i did find those at the junk yard. I saw the kyb name brand on them and grabbed them.