5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gas tank help.. help me fix my idiotic mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Gas tank help.. help me fix my idiotic mistake...

wow i feel like a total moron... any help or ideas would help.

so this is the story...

I replaced my fuel filter a couple weeks ago and when re-sealing the tank (incase you didn't know, you have to open up the gas tank to get to the filter), I stripped 2 of the 6 bolts... since it was sunday I put on 4 of the 6 and hoped it could hold off until i could go to the dealership and pickup new bolts... It leaked gas... so being a total dumbass I just drove a couple of metal screws in. That sealed it, so for some stupid reason i thought it would be a good idea to replace the remaining bolts with metal screws. I test drove it, perfect no leaks. It was fine until i filled it up a couple days ago. Gas leaked and was dripping under the car.

I thought it was just a bad seal on the gasket, so I replaced that and resealed it but it was still leaking....

Then after looking up diagrams and searching on the org I realized i probably punctured the gas tank when i used the screws.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without replacing the gas tank... or even fixing this without dropping the existing gas tank...

Any sort of help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS. here is a pic of the gank tank assembly if you are not familiar with it.

Last edited by kbjy11; 10-24-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

WOW! You are definately in a pickle.

First thing I would do (after many self lashings...lol) is pull it apart to see the "screw holes". Once you have access, see if you did indeed puncture crack or whatever the tank. This is really your first step. If you have done damage to the tank itself, in this situation I would replace the tank. Call it a lesson learned. You just cant mess around with fumes, fuel and safety. Personally I would replace it.

However, that gasket has to be perfect as well. It has a tendancy to roll if you over torque (which is possible seeing you didnt use the OEM screws).

So looks like you are going in to inspect and let us know what you find. Pictures if possible will also be helpful. And remember to be careful working around the tank now that you have spilled fuel.

good luck to you and let us know what you find.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude, I just ordered the fuel filter and now I am totally scared to do the job! Is it really complicated as you made seem or ur just somehow accidently screwed up the 2 bolts?

And regarding your problem, sorry, i have not ever worked on my tank, i just ordered the filter few weeks ago.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

I have an easy fix for you. Empty fuel tank. Then you need to go to a small local airport near you. Ask where some of the shops buy supplies or if they will sell you fuel tank sealant. I come refrigerated and you can buy it with different work lifes (once mixed). Then buy 6 metal sewing thimbles. (SP?) with the fuel tank sealant apply it to the rim of the thimbles and press over the bottom of the screw holes from the access panel in the tank. Then put more fuel tank sealant around the thimbles and seal up reall well. (kind of like calking) Let dry completely and put back together. Don't use scers that are longer than the thimbles. That will seal you up. This is the way aircraft fuel tanks are sealed up. Every rivit and screw.

The access cover O ring in inside of the screws and that is why the screws don't leak unless you puncture the aluminum cover (thimble) that is there originaly.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM

^that couldn't have sounded anymore complicated to me LOL

sorry if i insulted you, maybe im just slow lol
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
^that couldn't have sounded anymore complicated to me LOL

sorry if i insulted you, maybe im just slow lol
No insult. You have to know what the tank looks like and know how the screws work to understand how it all works. My idea is a $40 fix, compared to replacing the entire fuel tank.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.

I found a gas tank from the wreckers for $75. Relatively inexpensive (dealerships up here in canada wanted $600-700!), but still an expensive lesson learned.

So I think i'll be just swapping in the used one.

Has anyone done this? anything to watch out for??
Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kbjy11

Has anyone done this? anything to watch out for??
Watch for wildfires! Oh wait, you in Canada? You good.

I had to swap my tank in my turd gen. Make sure you release the pressure in the lines. Watch for sparks, wear eye protection, keep your mouth closed. And you might want to get some nice scented soap. Its a stinky job.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Pointy Elbows

Goodluck man.

Next time use a socket instead of a screwdriver, which I assume you used.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
nycnissans

you may not have stripped the screws, if the rubber o ring had slipped and was out of the groove, the screw in that corner would not go in, I had the same problem when putting in my walbro, 2 screws would not go in for anything, then i got a new o ring and it was fine.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by LatinMax
I have an easy fix for you. Empty fuel tank. Then you need to go to a small local airport near you. Ask where some of the shops buy supplies or if they will sell you fuel tank sealant. I come refrigerated and you can buy it with different work lifes (once mixed). Then buy 6 metal sewing thimbles. (SP?) with the fuel tank sealant apply it to the rim of the thimbles and press over the bottom of the screw holes from the access panel in the tank. Then put more fuel tank sealant around the thimbles and seal up reall well. (kind of like calking) Let dry completely and put back together. Don't use scers that are longer than the thimbles. That will seal you up. This is the way aircraft fuel tanks are sealed up. Every rivit and screw.

The access cover O ring in inside of the screws and that is why the screws don't leak unless you puncture the aluminum cover (thimble) that is there originaly.
That's actually a damn good idea, will have to keep that in mind if I ever come into a situation like this.

Always great to use ideas from outside the typical automotive industry for repairs.