5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dim SES light

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Dim SES light

So i have a 5.5 and it has about 55k miles on it. The other day i was driving at like 11 pm and i looked down at my dash and the SES light was on but very dim. When i say dim, i mean you have to squint to see it. Occasionally it would get a bit brighter but never fully lit. So i took it to the dealer to have them diagnose it and maybe find a code for it. They did a 1/hr of diagnostic no charge and they said they didn't find anything currently also noting in the memory. So i called it a day and left. So this morning i noticed it again. Now im not mental or anything and i know when something is not right. My first thought was that maybe its a grounding issue but it cant be or else it wouldnt work at all right? That car runs fine and everything is okay.

Also side note, i have about 4k miles miles left before my 6yr/60k powertrain warrenty ends so should i mention to the dealer about the oil consumption issue before its too late? i mean i havent noticed anything yet but i changed the oil as soon as i bought it.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nk2k2
Also side note, i have about 4k miles miles left before my 6yr/60k powertrain warrenty ends so should i mention to the dealer about the oil consumption issue before its too late? i mean i havent noticed anything yet but i changed the oil as soon as i bought it.
i don't get it, you don't have an oil consumption problem but you want to go to the dealer to complain?

What do you want to mention to them? the fact that you MIGHT get oil consumption? I'm pretty sure they are awaire of it.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 PM

the reason i mention the oil consumption issue is that so they are aware of it in the warrenty period and they cant say that i was out of warrenty and blah blah blah. i feel that if they are aware of it and there isnt a problem now and hypothetically speaking at 62k miles the problem starts then im screwed. im sorry if it doesnt make sense. i just worked 16 hrs straight.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM

the reason i mention the oil consumption issue is that so they are aware of it in the warrenty period and they cant say that i was out of warrenty and blah blah blah. i feel that if they are aware of it and there isnt a problem now and hypothetically speaking at 62k miles the problem starts then im screwed. im sorry if it doesnt make sense. i just worked 16 hrs straight.
If it hasn't happened by now, I think you are in the clear.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 PM

my ses light has been dim since day one, that is just how these cars are, it will light up as soon as somethin is wrong

and as to the oil consumption, even if you do have it, if you dont show them all receipts for oil changes, good luck with gettin that covered
if you are freakin out just buy an extended warranty

Last edited by Maximum Performance; 10-17-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 PM

So i have a 5.5 and it has about 55k miles on it. The other day i was driving at like 11 pm and i looked down at my dash and the SES light was on but very dim. When i say dim, i mean you have to squint to see it. Occasionally it would get a bit brighter but never fully lit. So i took it to the dealer to have them diagnose it and maybe find a code for it. They did a 1/hr of diagnostic no charge and they said they didn't find anything currently also noting in the memory. So i called it a day and left. So this morning i noticed it again. Now im not mental or anything and i know when something is not right. My first thought was that maybe its a grounding issue but it cant be or else it wouldnt work at all right? That car runs fine and everything is okay.

Its a know problem with some 02-03. I had it with my 02 the first day I drove it off the lot brand new. They need to replace to gauge cluster and problem will be solved. Your dealer should be aware of it cause it has happened to good number of 02-03.