5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

411 on sidemarker rewire.. <<<<<<<<<<<

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 11:49 PM

this took me a while to develope but hey.. i hope it helps ya'll. explicit pix.. let it load, it'll be well worth it.

STEP 1: REMOVE FRONT SIDE MARKER (refer to manual)

i got real crappy pix of the turn signal bulb.. but it's sthe same as the front. you'll hafta tap into the "green" wire. feed the wire through the hole in your fender, tape one end of the "new" peice of a wire to a thin metal rod. it might help. it might not. stick your hadn in where the side marker went.. and feel for the rod...
here's for the back..
"DO NOT REMOVE REAR SIDEMARKER UNLESS YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TODO"

i hope this all helped you all. please feel free to ask questions.. and of course the famous disclaimer

>>>> the above content is just to help you achieve the side marker rewire. i was successufully able to complete the process using by using the exact same method. if for some reason your car is damaged or you injured yourself, you are the one responsible for that, i'm never at fault. muahhaah<<<<<<<<<<
Old 11-02-2000, 01:32 AM

Wow !!!

Thanxs Mingo, now i have more confidence in re-wiring my side markers, without good directions b4 i was afraid i would have screwd up, thanxs 4 takin ur time, with even pics on the directions. BTW how long does it take and it alternate blinks at night with lights on and during the day both side marker and signal blinks ?
Old 11-02-2000, 01:47 AM

Re: Wow !!!

Originally posted by Max2K
Thanxs Mingo, now i have more confidence in re-wiring my side markers, without good directions b4 i was afraid i would have screwd up, thanxs 4 takin ur time, with even pics on the directions. BTW how long does it take and it alternate blinks at night with lights on and during the day both side marker and signal blinks ?
it took me realy fast. i do alot of car audio installs out of my garage for myself and friends. i'de say a good 15min. for all. and prolly for a novice 45min. around that. take your time. don't rush it. and during the day time the side markers will blink at the same time as your blinkers. and will remain off. during the night time. it'll stay on with your headlights. and it'll blink alternately with your signals. it's real cool. good luck. and your welcome.
Old 11-02-2000, 06:14 AM

Thanks

Thanks, mingo. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I appreciate your help and detailed instructions.
Old 11-02-2000, 06:55 AM

nP.. well if anything seems to be unfamiliar than please email me or post-reply. adn i'll get back to you as soon as i wake up.
Old 11-03-2000, 02:46 AM

sorry for the faulty first image ppl, Matt pointed out to me that step 6 was cut off. but now i've reuploaded the image. i hope this is more clear..please post for more questions.
Old 11-03-2000, 12:17 PM

Mingo....

You have too much time on your hands now man... Get back in school!

Adam
Old 11-03-2000, 12:49 PM

Re: Mingo....

Thanks, Mingo. I appreciate it. You know, for dummies like me, you really have to explain every detail. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Old 11-04-2000, 03:44 AM

Re: Mingo....

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
You have too much time on your hands now man... Get back in school!

Adam
NO i hate school. school is for losers.. j/p yeah finding motivation first.. hahah.

Matt, your very welcome. i hope all goes well. gimem an update one how it all went. and why is there a freaggin' brokin' pic??
Old 11-04-2000, 02:18 PM

yeah thanks dawg

tommorrow i do round 2, i failed the first time but tomm i shall do it. It actually will look classier with that MOD.

Roger
cool pics
Old 11-07-2000, 09:03 AM

It's finally done

It took me 2 tries and a lot of frustration because I am a novice, but I finally did it. And this thread was the reason why. Good pictures and some good extra instructions from Daniel (mingo) and it worked perfectly. It's a pretty simple mod and I will say that the learning curve is steep. The amount of time that it took to do the first front one was more than the amount of time it took me to do the other 3 lights combined. The backs are really easy. Anyway, just wanted to thank Daniel again for all of his help and to let someone know that it is a very easy mod to do that looks pretty neat.
\
Old 11-09-2000, 05:07 AM

no problemm.. next set of directions.. how to swap the vq for two b16A. sorry for the confusion i've cuased in the directions. it's better to pre strip the wire first prior to using the piggy back but do not cut that way there will be a greater chnace of current flow when the piggy back is put in.
Old 04-14-2001, 01:11 PM

pics

Does anybod have these pics? They are not loading
Old 04-14-2001, 04:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: pics

Originally posted by ay5800
Does anybod have these pics? They are not loading
sorry, i forgot to take pictures. everything's assembled and i don't want to have to rip up all the e-tape.

it's really easy once you understand the basic idea behind it.

okay, here's a quickie install guide. (hope you don't mind, mingo)

TOOLS NEEDED:
- 16-gauge wire (in odd colors, e.g., purple, blue, etc.)
- 14-16 gauge buttconnectors
- 14-16 gauge wire taps
- heavy duty pliers (for crimping connectors)
- electrical tape.

a couple warnings before you begin: DO NOT CUT THE RED WIRE and give enough slack when cutting in case you mess up(thanks mingo for the tip).

let's start with the front, shall we?
1) Locate the wires on the FRONT TURN SIGNALS and strip it of the e-tape. you'll see 3 wires (black, red, and green with a black stripe). leave the black and read alone. use a WIRE TAP and tap into it with a 14inch, 16-gauge wire (preferably with a diff color wire like blue, purple, whatever). after that's done...

2) Take out your sidemarkers from the front and strip the electrical tape wrapping your two wires. leave the RED wire ALONE. clip the BLACK wire and wrap the the end going INTO THE CAR and leave it be. take the BLACK wire going INTO THE SIDEMARKER.

3) Now get that wire you had coming from the TURN SIGNAL and guide it into the hole in the fender and out of the sidemarker. use a flash light to see where it's going in and out from, if that helps.

4) Pull the wire through and use a BUTT CONNECTOR to connect your new wire with the black wire.

that's it! test it to see if you've done it right. WRAP EVERYTHING you spliced/cut/tapped with e-tape to secure and put everything back together.

for the back, take the back panel apart to access the rear lights and basically connect the TURN SIGNAL light's BLACK wire with the SIDEMARKER's black wire in the same fashion as you did in the front. (cut SM black, wrap end going into car, buttconnect with new wire and splice/tap into rear TS black. wrap and put together.)

hope that wasn't too confusing...
Old 04-14-2001, 08:07 PM

Re: Re: pics

Originally posted by areX

sorry, i forgot to take pictures. everything's assembled and i don't want to have to rip up all the e-tape.

it's really easy once you understand the basic idea behind it.

okay, here's a quickie install guide. (hope you don't mind, mingo)

TOOLS NEEDED:
- 16-gauge wire (in odd colors, e.g., purple, blue, etc.)
- 14-16 gauge buttconnectors
- 14-16 gauge wire taps
- heavy duty pliers (for crimping connectors)
- electrical tape.

a couple warnings before you begin: DO NOT CUT THE RED WIRE and give enough slack when cutting in case you mess up(thanks mingo for the tip).

let's start with the front, shall we?
1) Locate the wires on the FRONT TURN SIGNALS and strip it of the e-tape. you'll see 3 wires (black, red, and green with a black stripe). leave the black and read alone. use a WIRE TAP and tap into it with a 14inch, 16-gauge wire (preferably with a diff color wire like blue, purple, whatever). after that's done...

2) Take out your sidemarkers from the front and strip the electrical tape wrapping your two wires. leave the RED wire ALONE. clip the BLACK wire and wrap the the end going INTO THE CAR and leave it be. take the BLACK wire going INTO THE SIDEMARKER.

3) Now get that wire you had coming from the TURN SIGNAL and guide it into the hole in the fender and out of the sidemarker. use a flash light to see where it's going in and out from, if that helps.

4) Pull the wire through and use a BUTT CONNECTOR to connect your new wire with the black wire.

that's it! test it to see if you've done it right. WRAP EVERYTHING you spliced/cut/tapped with e-tape to secure and put everything back together.

for the back, take the back panel apart to access the rear lights and basically connect the TURN SIGNAL light's BLACK wire with the SIDEMARKER's black wire in the same fashion as you did in the front. (cut SM black, wrap end going into car, buttconnect with new wire and splice/tap into rear TS black. wrap and put together.)

hope that wasn't too confusing...
extremely well put.
Old 04-14-2001, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: pics

Originally posted by mingo

extremely well put.
WOW! thanks!

heck, if it wasn't for you, i would not have done it! thanks again!

btw, how did you figure out how to wire it? how did you know it was the ground wire that needed to be played with? it didn't make sense to me, but i trusted your instructions anyhow. thanks again, mingo!
Old 04-15-2001, 01:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: pics

WOW! thanks!

heck, if it wasn't for you, i would not have done it! thanks again!

btw, how did you figure out how to wire it? how did you know it was the ground wire that needed to be played with? it didn't make sense to me, but i trusted your instructions anyhow. thanks again, mingo!
well i learned it twice. the first time was when i rewired a prelude followed by an integra. then i found out through this board that it can also be done the same way with teh maxima. here is my theory on why it would be the ground wire. the relay for the turnsignals is clicked in the off position when it is not blinking, once it is in the on position a circuit is completed the positive gets to meet ground thus making thigns light up. i'm assuming that when you turn your parking lights off the circuit jumps to negative (ground) so when you hook it up with the signal wire of the turnsignal you feed it power adn then everything blinks all together.. but when you have the headlights on the signal wire relay will break the circuit for the side marker which then makes it dim everytime the relay clicks on. because it turns inot ++ instead of -+
Old 04-15-2001, 06:31 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pics

Originally posted by mingo

well i learned it twice. the first time was when i rewired a prelude followed by an integra. then i found out through this board that it can also be done the same way with teh maxima. here is my theory on why it would be the ground wire. the relay for the turnsignals is clicked in the off position when it is not blinking, once it is in the on position a circuit is completed the positive gets to meet ground thus making thigns light up. i'm assuming that when you turn your parking lights off the circuit jumps to negative (ground) so when you hook it up with the signal wire of the turnsignal you feed it power adn then everything blinks all together.. but when you have the headlights on the signal wire relay will break the circuit for the side marker which then makes it dim everytime the relay clicks on. because it turns inot ++ instead of -+
That's pretty close to why it works, but it's much simpler than that.

OK, headlights off:
Blinker get 12V from pos wire & side light gets 12V from its neg wire. Both lights have a potential of 12V across them, so they both light up.

Headlights on:
Blinker gets 12V from its pos wire & side light is now recieving 12V from both its pos and neg wire. This results in a net potential of 0V across the side light...thus it goes out.
Old 04-15-2001, 07:27 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pics

Guys, where are the pics? I would like to see this, but want to see pics as well, and a more detail explanation on what this does with the lights? Are the both on blinking or they turn on separate?

Originally posted by mzmtg

That's pretty close to why it works, but it's much simpler than that.

OK, headlights off:
Blinker get 12V from pos wire & side light gets 12V from its neg wire. Both lights have a potential of 12V across them, so they both light up.

Headlights on:
Blinker gets 12V from its pos wire & side light is now recieving 12V from both its pos and neg wire. This results in a net potential of 0V across the side light...thus it goes out.

Old 04-15-2001, 03:50 PM

how the lights flash.

headlights off (daytime)
- turn signals and sidemarkers all blink in unison.

headlights on (nighttime)
- turn signals and front sidemarkers alternate, but rear remains unison.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:24 PM

Re: how the lights flash.

headlights off (daytime)

In a couple of the above posts, I noticed that, for the rear markers, the instructions indicate that we're supposed to tap the BLACK wire in the sidemarker to the BLACK wire in the turn signal. In my 2000 SE, I discovered that tapping into the turn signal's black wire causes the sidemarker to act as though I hadn't changed anything at all - it turned on and off with the headlights / parking lights. I discovered that tapping into the turn signal's GREEN wire causes the side marker to mimic the front side marker (after I've modded the front side marker according to the instructions). One side effect that I've noticed is that my aftermarket stereo dims and brightens as though the headlights are being turned on in time with my emergency flashers, but not my turn signals. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
Old 01-15-2002, 06:14 PM
PhatGuy

I've been wanting to this for some time now and feel more confident since this thread. Problem is the pics orginally posted are not working? Does anyone have these available for re-posting?

Old 01-15-2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I've been wanting to this for some time now and feel more confident since this thread. Problem is the pics orginally posted are not working? Does anyone have these available for re-posting?
Instructions with Pictures
Old 01-15-2002, 08:02 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by ru4real

Instructions with Pictures
Thanks for the link!

Do you have Mingo's pics/install as well?

Old 01-15-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Thanks for the link!

Do you have Mingo's pics/install as well?
No, I used Russ's instructions. I think Mingo's pics fell into a black hole.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: how the lights flash.

headlights off (daytime)

danm i cant see ur directions for some reason the pics have a read X. Is there a possiblity u can email me at rodsht@yahoo.com? I hope its not hard to do this rewire cuz im sooo not good with electricity.
will it void my waranty?
Old 01-17-2002, 01:14 AM

mingo's pix are hosted by geocities.. so u kinda gotta right click the broken image, click on properties, and then copy down the link and paste it into your web browser.. theys till work for sure tho..
Old 01-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn i think im retarded but i still kinda dont get the installation. What is a piggy-back connector? And what kinda wire do i have to get? Actually can you guys just tell me where i can do it in a shop or something im sure it will not be too expensive, or maybe i can meet up with one of u people on the org, and maybe u can help me out? Thanks again for your help.

Rod.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:31 PM

Broken Link

Originally Posted by ru4real
Link doesn't work so are the pictures
Old 08-26-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ru4real
I'm going to try this just as soon as I pick up the wire. The written instructions from mingo and areX are probably sufficient, but the pictures would be helpful. Anyone able to get a working link?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 PM

in 2001 SE AE does anyone know which wire is neutral, 'cause i got all these rainbow color going and i don't wanna connect wrong wires
Old 08-28-2004, 06:44 PM

I think that link I posted was one from the FAQ.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:44 PM
wokisan

Originally Posted by thorizeen
In my 2000 SE, I discovered that tapping into the turn signal's black wire causes the sidemarker to act as though I hadn't changed anything at all - it turned on and off with the headlights / parking lights. I discovered that tapping into the turn signal's GREEN wire causes the side marker to mimic the front side marker (after I've modded the front side marker according to the instructions).
Same here on a 2000 GXE. Tapping into the black wire produced no changes. Tapped into the green and ...everything works fine!

Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 AM

Anyone done this on 2k1 SE AE? I got all these rainbow colors and i don't wanna connect wrong wires wouldn't be good. So can anyone help me out which wires to connect in 2k1 SE AE. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:30 AM

I finally got the wire and went to look at the wires to the lights and they aren't the colors that are listed in the how-to. In my 2003 in the front I've got a black and a green with a yellow stripe into the signal & a black and a red with a yellow stripe into the sidemarker. In the rear there's a black and a green into the tail signal & a black and a red with a blue stripe into the sidemarker. I'm not into the trial and error method of wiring so does anyone have 2003 instructions? I think housecor should rewire his sidemarkers.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM

hey i just bought some side markers and wanted to ask what does this mod do? sorry for the noob question
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Cletus

come on dude..you bumped a 4 year old thread when the info is already in the thread
Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

come on dude (Jason).. you asked a question like that knowing that noobs have NO common sense
Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Cletus

that wasnt a question...it was a comment

Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

crap

Reading comprehension > me

Quick Reply: 411 on sidemarker rewire.. <<<<<<<<<<<