5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing High Pressure Pwr Steering Hose 02

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Hahahaha what a great first post by username str8piff. Nice find on paying $80 for labor!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Str8piff
Damn all you guys got ripped off horribly!!! I bought my high pressure hose for $80 flat and payd $80 for labor for my 2000 maxima GLE! Lol sucks to be you guys!!!
I bought mine for 60 bucks shipped to my door and replaced it in 10 minutes on my driveway. It sucks to be you. Spend 100 bucks for nothing
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself Josep22h.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The best time to replace the hose is if you're doing valve cover gaskets or coils and the upper IM is off. After fighting with the banjo bolt from under the car I was able to start it from the top of the motor so much easier. Also the bracket for the hose goes on no problem that way.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM

Thats great to know since I will be doing the VC when the weather is nice. Btw after almost 4 years here you made your first post! Congrats lol
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lol, I guess it was the first time I had something useful to say. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I used the Gates hose which looks just like the Eldelman hose and no power steering noise.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM

Pressure hose was leaking on my 03 Maxima. Dropped it off this morning. Total cost: $350.
Edit: $195 for the parts including $9.00 for brake fluid and rest for labor.

Last edited by shobuddy; 02-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Brake fluid???
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Brake fluid???
My bad, I meant power steering fluid.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by shobuddy
Pressure hose was leaking on my 03 Maxima. Dropped it off this morning. Total cost: $350.
Edit: $195 for the parts including $9.00 for brake fluid and rest for labor.
After having the pressure hose replaced, like others in this thread, I too hear a humming/buzzing sound when turning the wheel. The sound is ever so slight and would not be noticeable to most people. But its here none the less and did not used to be there prior to the leak. I've read this thread and haven't seen anyone chime in with the cause of this sound. Is it a defective part, faulty installation or is the sound normal/acceptable? I've only had the car back for a day so will drive it a bit more and see what happens.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM

After having the pressure hose replaced, like others in this thread, I too hear a humming/buzzing sound when turning the wheel. The sound is ever so slight and would not be noticeable to most people. But its here none the less and did not used to be there prior to the leak. I've read this thread and haven't seen anyone chime in with the cause of this sound. Is it a defective part, faulty installation or is the sound normal/acceptable? I've only had the car back for a day so will drive it a bit more and see what happens.
My basic understanding is that this is caused by aftermarket hoses that typically have a smaller inside diameter than the OEM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
My basic understanding is that this is caused by aftermarket hoses that typically have a smaller inside diameter than the OEM.
That sucks. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
RR5

So with the problem the aftermarket high pressure power steering hose causes, did anyone ever simply pick up an OEM hose and report back if that stopped the buzzing sound?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by RR5
So with the problem the aftermarket high pressure power steering hose causes, did anyone ever simply pick up an OEM hose and report back if that stopped the buzzing sound?
I have the edelmann buzz and i just picked up an oem hose but wont install till its warm out, ill let everyone know when i do
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM

I have heard of people with success at replacing their aftermarket hose with a factory. In fact I haven't heard of anyone having the steering buzz with a factory hose. I've also heard of people having success finding a hydraulic repair shop and having a new hose made with the old factory fittings. YMMV.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM

That sucks. Thanks for the response.
Really sucks. Since they charged you for an OEM, but gave you an aftermarket.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Any concerns of this issue causing the pump to burn out?

Originally Posted by bennuss
Really sucks. Since they charged you for an OEM, but gave you an aftermarket.
True, they seem to do that at pretty much every shop I go to.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is it that time of the year. My wife is over two hours away from me, and calls. My car is making a noise and its hard to turn.
Power steering hose is really leaking now. Leaves a whole puddle. So I have to round up a part, and carry my tools two hours away in the AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Someone post a video of the buzzing sound with the edelmann/gates hose
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Anyone try the omega high pressure hose?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM

32,000 miles and 3 years later, my Edlemann is still buzzing away. The good news is the ps pump hasn't exploded yet, there are no leaks, and steering effort is the same as it's always been.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM

That banjo bolt is the devil when it comes to putting it back on
Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 AM

I am having a huge issue with this, the nut that connects the hose to the piping on the top side is deforming, I can't even grab it with a vise grip, it's too soft.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
32,000 miles and 3 years later, my Edlemann is still buzzing away. The good news is the ps pump hasn't exploded yet, there are no leaks, and steering effort is the same as it's always been.

came in to post this minus the time

buzzing noise is there

ps pump is all good

i hardly notice anymore
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 AM

High pressure steering hose---did this recently.
Purchased the part from ray kelly at tricities nissan (nissanpartsasap.com)
Phone number 4239521920
OEM costed me around 120(everything included) I aslo bought the copper washers(2) and 2 bottles of OEM fluid.
Ray offers the best possible price on the part for sure. and sing was 12 dollars.

About installation, key thing is remove the front passenger tire and start with the banjo bolt first when installing the new line. then fix the top connection where the rubber meets the metal line. Finally get the bracket. You will have problems getting the banjo done if you start from the top fitting. Trust me on this.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by RR5
Just wanted to let the community know that after 15k miles of the edelmann hose whinning/buzzing i replaced it today with an OEM hose and i performed the dead bleeding then the live bleeding procedure and the hose is completely silent no more buzzing at all. I used valvoline dex 3 auto transmission fluid. So the aftermarket hose does not seem to affect or harm your power steering pump.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just got done with replacing the high pressure hose on my 02. Got it on and off the lift in about 2 hours total.

Many thanks to the folks who have posted in this thread. After a read through of some of the tips this repair was no sweat. It was super helpful to have a set of hands in the engine bay while I got the banjo bolt started. They were able to twist the hose in the right places to allow me to get the banjo going.

The dry and wet process proved to net me no noises and a proper fill.

I went with an OEM unit from my local Nissan parts department. I wanted to get it done today and they had a couple in stock and I paid the price. $220 when all was said and done. Ordering from Courtesy would have saved me $50 but that's the cost of convenience I suppose.

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Doing this right now (7pm 100degrees in Garland, TX). so far I haven't had any issues removing it (used a 15/16 1/2 drive socket instead of 24mm). Will update when done
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM

Add me to the list for pressure hose failures. Thanks to everyone who posted info on how to do this, lots of helpful hints. I had just gotten the car home from having the valve covers replaced to keep oil out of my spark plug tubes when the hose started leaking. Timing is everything.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Do the 5th gens and 5.5 gens use the same hose? Reason I'm asking is they look the same, but the 2000-2001's part# is 49720-2Y90A whereas the 5.5gen one is 49720-5Y700.

Originally Posted by riz600
I used the Gates hose which looks just like the Eldelman hose and no power steering noise.
Good to know! Gates is much cheaper than OEM here in Canada.

Last edited by Will; 08-13-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 PM

I just finished replacing my PS hose. I would call this an easy job aside from the banjo bolt. I probably spent 45 minutes trying to get the bolt started. When I finally got it I noticed I forgot the copper washers. I contemplated just leaving it as is, but wound up removing the bolt again. The next time replacing it with the washers took like 2minutes... go figure.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by I30driver
I just finished replacing my PS hose. I would call this an easy job aside from the banjo bolt. I probably spent 45 minutes trying to get the bolt started. When I finally got it I noticed I forgot the copper washers. I contemplated just leaving it as is, but wound up removing the bolt again. The next time replacing it with the washers took like 2minutes... go figure.
Congrats. What brand hose did you buy?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM

I went with the OEM from Tricities Nissan. I didn't want to deal with the nuisance issues of the aftermarket hoses.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Different replacement hose designs and outcomes -- OEM hoses versus others

Food for thought:
after reading this long thread, one of the issues with some hose replacements is the 'new' louder whine from power steering system especially when higher pressures are needed, as in turning wheels while parked or against the stops.

My theory is that the observations actually divide into 2 kinds of hoses, ones with an outer foam sleeve, as the OEM and some after markets have, and those without. All have partial or full heat shields.

My theory is that the foam outer sleeve on the OEM hose as well as the rubber grommets supporting the metal mounting plate near the top of the hose are there for sound insulation. The PS pump emits high pressure pulses producing sound/noise that is transmitted in the fluid leaving the pump. Flexible hoses expand radially due to these pressure pulses thereby transmitting this sound to the surroundings. The longer the hose the more sound. Metal pipe does this much less. Covering the length of the high pressure hose exiting the pump with a foam sleeve insulates this sound. The high pressure hose location adjacent to firewall would transmit sound into cabin.

My guess is that the hoses without the foam sleeve will be louder in the cabin than those with the foam sleeve, even though the power steering system is fixed.

The frequency of the pressure pulses depends on number of vanes in pump and rpm of pump but my guess is that first harmonic is 300 to 400 hertz, and higher with increased engine rpm. 2nd and 3rd harmonics would also be present.

comments/rebuttals welcome.

Last edited by redrock5432; 08-23-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well it's now time for my PS hose to be replaced. I'm at 98000ish on my 02 SE. I ordered the ACDelco brand replacement and it should be here by Tuesday...so I'll give it a shot and post my results here.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced the hose tonight. Total time was about 1 hour 45 minutes. ACDELCO hose from Amazon for 75 bucks and I'm not really hearing any whine. That banjo bolt sucks. It took the majority of the time.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by redrock5432
Food for thought:
after reading this long thread, one of the issues with some hose replacements is the 'new' louder whine from power steering system especially when higher pressures are needed, as in turning wheels while parked or against the stops.

My theory is that the observations actually divide into 2 kinds of hoses, ones with an outer foam sleeve, as the OEM and some after markets have, and those without. All have partial or full heat shields.

My theory is that the foam outer sleeve on the OEM hose as well as the rubber grommets supporting the metal mounting plate near the top of the hose are there for sound insulation. The PS pump emits high pressure pulses producing sound/noise that is transmitted in the fluid leaving the pump. Flexible hoses expand radially due to these pressure pulses thereby transmitting this sound to the surroundings. The longer the hose the more sound. Metal pipe does this much less. Covering the length of the high pressure hose exiting the pump with a foam sleeve insulates this sound. The high pressure hose location adjacent to firewall would transmit sound into cabin.

My guess is that the hoses without the foam sleeve will be louder in the cabin than those with the foam sleeve, even though the power steering system is fixed.

The frequency of the pressure pulses depends on number of vanes in pump and rpm of pump but my guess is that first harmonic is 300 to 400 hertz, and higher with increased engine rpm. 2nd and 3rd harmonics would also be present.

comments/rebuttals welcome.
gonna copy and paste my responses form another thread about this thread.

Originally Posted by FMSCMaX
The Rock Auto hose is said to have a permanent "buzz" and considered crappier than the OEM hose. My OEM hose lasted 120K so if the replacement lasts that long I think I'll be happy.

While my hose was broken I tried to avoid turning, especially hard turns on the wheel lock like wiggling out of a tight driveway. The pressure increases the more you turn the wheel and pumps more fluid out. The car is designed to handle this when the components are in good repair.

This is the thread I meant
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hose-02-a.html

i'v read most of the entire thread. i think it's user a error not part error. any one who had buzzing sound never mentioned how they bled it, one dude mentioned noticed instruction on the eldeman line AFTER installing him and another poster said they DIDN'T follow those instructions and both had a buzzing sound.

other posters with buzzing sound admitted to starting the car turning the wheel WITH OUT turning the wheel with the engine off FIRST, as per nissan hand book.

1 posted he had a hug leak and no sound then no leak and lots of sound, while other post about air bubbles or small leaks causing the problem.

i'm certain if you have noise you have small leak or connection that is not air tight, or air bubbles.

i still haven to found any evidence of the 1 on continuous piece PSP pressure hose that i read about in one thread (that i can't find).

also it is still possible that those aftermarkets do have an improper diameter causing the buzzing sound but, i'm definitely leading towards user error.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by maikata
From a purely hydraulic point of view the buzzing/noise that emanates from the pump can only be caused by 2 things. Air in the fluid or cavitation. Cavitation will ultimately lead to pump failure. Why? When a hydraulic pump is trying to move more fluid than can be delivered on the suction side a negative pressure builds in the fluid. This causes a temporary implosion of vapor in the fluid which over time damages the rotating element and chamber in the pump. So if the Edlemann hose diameter is known to be smaller than the OEM hose, and the installation of the Edlemann hose normally results in a buzzing/noise my expectation is eventual pump failure. However, this is pure speculation on my part and without researching the forums for PS pump failures after the installation of this hose I may be off base. I only know what causes cavitation and that it is bad for hydraulic pumps.
This is someone who defiantly knows what they are talking about but, just speculation.

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
If that theory about the warmed up power steering fluid was true, then you shouldn't hear any noise when you move your steering wheel while parking your car after a decent drive; at that point the fluid should be pretty hot.
I think the noise is always there. You can't hear it when you're moving because it is just drowned by road and/or engine noises.

EDIT: I drove today a car just like mine, with a power steering hose just like mine, and there is definitely no noise at all. I guess I'll look into following the bleeding instructions on the Edlemann package, as noted by nismopc a few posts above.
Originally Posted by kukx30de
I just completed changing out the hose.

I did the bleed without the engine turned on for about 5-7 minutes and was surprised how much air was really in the system. When the air bubbles finally stopped after about 6 minutes, I noticed the fluid level had gone down from the "Hot Max" mark to just below "Cold Min".

I then added in extra Dex III and did the bleed with the engine on.

I'm happy to report that I have no noise at all . I did not remove the other hose from the pump nor use the cap that came with the hose pkg from rockauto.

Folks who do have the noise might just need to bleed again or try a flush?

These posts really speaks for them selves.

I'm thinking people doing these repairs don't understand how a hydraulic system works and just how sensitive it can be. proper bleeding has to be from what i'm reading.

Guess i learned some stuff today.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Sensor and banjo bolt irritating me right now
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM

did this today, totally miserable job. I did the banjo first, then tried to hook up the bracket to the engine, which is very difficult since you can't see it. So then i tried to remove the bracket from the hose, install the bracket and reconnect the hose. That proved to be a mistake since reconnecting to the bracket is almost impossible from that angle. I finally said eff it and did without the middle connection, will just tie it to something else. A few have done this, any negatives to it? I dont see going crazy just to bolt it in the center. The car has 140k on it and it is my daily beater.

Quick Reply: Replacing High Pressure Pwr Steering Hose 02