5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Q: Trunk Mounted CD Changer install in a Max with BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 12:40 PM
nm

Q: Trunk Mounted CD Changer install in a Max with BOSE

This is a question to anyone who has ever done this:

Is there a how-to with pictures available anywhere?

And also do our cars (that have BOSE)have a changer connection routed to the trunk? I'm asking this because from somewhere I remember that we have pre-wiring for a Cell phone and a CD Changer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:56 PM

If you get the changer and kit from Nissan, the instructions do have some pictures... As for pre-wiring, sorry. When you get the add-on cd changer you will have to order the installation kit too -- it comes with the wiring harness and stuff to go from the dash to the trunk. As for the cell phone thing, do you mean the power plug thing on the back of the cup holder in the center console???
Old 10-04-2001, 01:10 PM
nm

Originally posted by djmaxski
As for the cell phone thing, do you mean the power plug thing on the back of the cup holder in the center console???
no, if I remember correctly there is a power supply line somewhere in front specifically dedicated for a cell phone kit installation, it's not one of the two cigarette lighter sockets.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:32 PM

Re: Q: Trunk Mounted CD Changer install in a Max with BOSE

Originally posted by nm
This is a question to anyone who has ever done this:

Is there a how-to with pictures available anywhere?

And also do our cars (that have BOSE)have a changer connection routed to the trunk? I'm asking this because from somewhere I remember that we have pre-wiring for a Cell phone and a CD Changer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
TimW has a picture of it. At least he used to. PM him and ask. As for a write up, the instructions should guide you, although there were some fuzzy spots I encountered when installing mine. It's not a very difficult install, so you should be okay. Should you run into problems, just PM me or someone else that has installed it.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:45 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

OEM location...

this is before the carpet trimming.. (heh, which I still havent done)

http://www.adpub.com/tim/changer.jpg

you could get some other mounting brackets and mount it to the bottom of the rear deck... you'd have to get alittle creative, but it could be done.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:29 PM

I agree, maximas are not pre-wired for cd changers. I installed the USA-Spec model from Crutchfield ($299 delivered) which integrates with the Bose unit. There are a couple of connectors which plug into the rear of the dash unit and the harness can easily be routed along the driver side sill and into the trunk. I mounted the changer high and to the front of the rear deck on the driver side. It just fits between the seatbelt housing and subwoofer.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:44 PM

oh..

and I paid less than $300 for OEM changer and kit. Shop around, Dave or Courtesy should be able to get the OEM kit close to the aftermarket. While I chose the OEM, you might want to consider the aftermarket if you ever intend to use the changer in another car. the OEM is clarion, but Euro spec with a funky bus.. will never work on a regular headunit.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:57 PM
nm

Re: oh..

Thanks for the info everyone, I already have the OEM Clarion with the install kit and was just wondering if there was an easier way to install it than according to the instructions (which aren't difficult either),
looks like I will have some wiring and cabling and drilling to do over the weekend .
Old 10-04-2001, 10:45 PM

Re: Re: oh..

Originally posted by nm
Thanks for the info everyone, I already have the OEM Clarion with the install kit and was just wondering if there was an easier way to install it than according to the instructions (which aren't difficult either),
looks like I will have some wiring and cabling and drilling to do over the weekend .
If you don't want to drill, some heavy duty silicone works too...so far no problems. If you have a lot of road salt, or lots of salt in the air (living by the coast) then I wouldn't drill cause of future rust issues...but then again, that's my two pennies.
Old 10-05-2001, 07:01 AM

as I remember...

you drill into a hollow beam or pocket of metal. You never actually see sunlight thru there if you drill in the proper spot. I would still use preventative... and I didnt like that I had to drill in the first place.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:11 AM

hey nm where did you purchase your unit and how much?thanks
Old 10-05-2001, 09:39 AM
nm

Originally posted by silvermaxd
hey nm where did you purchase your unit and how much?thanks
I got the Changer and install kit from DaveB for just a little over $300 with shipping