5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mods and Dealership Warranty advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mods and Dealership Warranty advice

My clutch is slipping occassionally in 1st and 2nd and my 3rd gear grind is pretty bad. I still have 7000 miles or 1 year (56k now) til my extended bumper to bumper warranty expires. I've read dealerships have replaced transmissions because of the 3rd gear crunch and I havent used my warranty at all so I feel like i should and rightly so, going into 3rd gear sounds like shiat, especially when shifting fast.

My current mods are intake, cattman headers, MR catback and VAFC II. Im going to put stock intake back on, but should i remove the VAFC before taking it up there? Eventhough I dont have any tuning points adjusted, Im thinking they really might have a problem with the piggyback because of what it does in nature and the fact I've tapped into the ECU. Also, Im thinking i should talk with a nissan mechanic at hte dealership before i let her go with them just so were on the same page as far as whats done to the car. If I can get on his good side then things should go smoothly. I dont want some dude thats mad at the world opening up the hood, seeing the mods and immediately trying to void the warranty. Any advice appreciated. Grassyass
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Cletus

according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealership will have to prove that a mod caused the problem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Nice post Sooner!! Thanks for the info. I will have to find an official copy of the act, print it, and bring it with me next time I have a warranty issue. Most dealers just try to pass on you as soon as they see anything modified on the car. Let them know that you know your rights! You might actually teach some dealers a thing or two.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks sooner. Ill definetely be bringing that with me to the dealership. I guess you okies arent that bad afterall.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
DasYears

i especially wouldnt worry about a vafc-2. most of those guys probly will just think its a new sattelite radio receiver...

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 PM

That only applies to the factory warranty. aftermarket warranty companies can do whatever they want. the act covers issues with warranties from the mfg on a consumer product. your aftermarket warranty, from a legal standpoint is more like health insurance for your car.

then again, if its a nissan extended warranty, you might have more ground to move on. if its aftermarket, id remove everything reasonable.

id also go in with the '3rd gear grinding' complaint, with no other complaints. they might put a clutch in for you at the time, and if not, immediately after getting the car back for the transmission repair, tell them that the clutch has been pulsating ever since they did the repair. clutches wont be covered for normal wear, and if the disc is worn out, and slipping because of it, you'll be buying the clutch.

Originally Posted by soonerfan
according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealership will have to prove that a mod caused the problem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BJSE03
Nice post Sooner!! Thanks for the info. I will have to find an official copy of the act, print it, and bring it with me next time I have a warranty issue. Most dealers just try to pass on you as soon as they see anything modified on the car. Let them know that you know your rights! You might actually teach some dealers a thing or two.
Sure it's the law, but how are you going to make them fix your car? If they refuse, what can you do about it? Pretty much nothing other than . Sure it sucks that they can get away with it, but that's just how it is.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
DasYears

if its a serious enough repair it might be worth it to sue them