5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SERIOUSLY considering.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 08:36 PM

Trading my Max for a new '02 Acura TL3.2 type S. i drove one today, and they are nothing short of sweet. I mean, this car was so much fun to drive! it had power, elegance, performance, and luxury. I mean it was outstanding! Talk me out of it guys, LOL. I have a new love now.....
Old 07-21-2001, 08:38 PM

I would say go on ahead...more of them for us Max owners to race...and win
Old 07-21-2001, 08:44 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Green_2
It's not 5 sp.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:21 PM

How much are do they cost anyways?
Old 07-21-2001, 09:24 PM
PhatGuy

At this point I would wait until fall to see how you like the new Max/Altima in autos and manual trannies. As well as the TL-S auto and manual.

Old 07-21-2001, 09:32 PM

if you think its worth it to get a 2k2 car after you just got a 2k one then go for it... tls are very nice
Old 07-21-2001, 11:09 PM

all i can say is wait.....
till all the new stuff comes out so then you can decide "peacfully" hehe
Old 07-22-2001, 05:37 AM

The TL-S will be comming out with a 6 sp sometime this year.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:51 AM

I tested the TLS also

And I had a big smile on while doing it. Also tested the IS300, which is different than the Maxima and TLS.

I am waiting for the 2002 Maxima and Altima. Price will be an issue. My guess is the Max will be $3k less than the Acura, and Altima may be $6k less. Then it will depend on the improvement of the Nissans from last year. Is the 260 or 240 hp feel much different. Is the tranny much improved? How good are the new features like HID, in dash 6CD, night rearview mirror, handling, etc. For the Altima it will be totally different than last so I will compare it to the 2001 Maxima.

Have you been to www.acura-tls.com? Read some of the old messages regard problems people are having with their cars.
The following seems consistent.

- rattles from roof/windshields
- bumper color not matching body
- tail pipes not on properly
- squeaking dash
- radio interference
- thin paint
- seats making noises, motor problem

I find the car easy on the eyes, and luxurious. The Maxima handles better, and supposively have better rear room. The Acura has lots to offer for the money, and may be the new Max will too.
Old 07-22-2001, 06:03 AM

Sorry to correct ya, but its www.acura-tl.com
Old 07-22-2001, 09:19 AM

Yes it is.

Originally posted by NickStam

It's not 5 sp.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:21 AM

Yup, it's a 5 speed, AUTOMAGIC!!
Old 07-22-2001, 09:28 AM
PhatGuy

I could be wrong about this but their (TL-S) 5th gear is useless (like an OD) and their 4th is way too long since you can hit top speed in a tl-s in 4th (as far as I know). Their top end blows for a 260HP car. The mid range punch of a TL-S/CL-S seems to be their strongest suit.

Originally posted by medicsonic
Yup, it's a 5 speed, AUTOMAGIC!!

Old 07-22-2001, 09:46 AM

agree with the others and you should test out the new Max before deciding if you are going to trade cars anyway
and the biggest advantage they had (IMO) is the HID xenon lights that the new max will have (and altima for that matter) are a lot of gripes on the tl-s board about quality control issues (no more than here, but problems seem to be different)
and if i've read correctly, the 6-sp for the acura will be NEXT fall (2003) with it coming to the cl-s first. was supposed to happen for the cl-s this year and acura scrapped it till next year problem is by then the new max will be coming out so decision time won't overlap much
Old 07-22-2001, 05:57 PM

not trying to flame but c'mon whats a tl-s no more than an accord with hids and a standard cd player and leather!
Old 07-22-2001, 07:07 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Green_2
Agreed... More to see in our mirror. We just have more speed, better handling, better looks than those!

Old 07-22-2001, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by AdamK
not trying to flame but c'mon whats a tl-s no more than an accord with hids and a standard cd player and leather!
owning one will say "you have arrived" and the car reeks of prestige jk

my dad was looking into a 3.2 TL (the new one wasnt available yet) but my dad liked the Max's engine better...the Type-S has a different engine so i wouldnt know...
Old 07-22-2001, 10:35 PM

Before I bought my TL-S (in May) I was considering a 2k2MaxSE but I needed a car before the summer. If you have the time, go ahead and wait till the new Maxima is out and give it a test drive.

Let me start off by addressing issues already raised:

Every car has quality control issues and the ones for the TL-S are realitlvely minor. The moonroof rattles have been fixed for the 2002 year along with the misaligned tailpipes (only happened on the early produced cars), radio interference and the squeaky dash. Thin paint is still an issue but I can only think of two people who have this problem. The mismatched bumpers usually only happens with white cars and the 2002 cars aren't old enough to see if this has happened yet. Most importantly, the motor problems (acutally the an electronically controled actuator) are only found on the early 2001 CL-S (J32A2 engine is shared by both cars).

Yes the TL-S has a 5 speed "Sequential Sportshift" and yes performence diminishes once the car gets past 100mph (but realisitcally speaking, who drives above 100 that much anyways..). My biggest gripe is that the sportshift doesn't hold 1st gear. Gearing on the TL-S can be looked at two ways, but first the ratios:

1st: 2.563
2nd: 1.551
3rd: 1.021
4th: 0.653
5th: 0.470
R: 1.846
FD: 4.428

From a performence standpoint, 4th and 5th gears are both overdrives which limits performence over 100mph. However this gearing allows Acura to get the 19/29mpg rating. Bad for racing up to its max speed but good for fuel economy while highway cruising. Since I don't drive over 100mph (I have a couple of times only) its not an issue with me.

The stereotype of Honda/Acuras is that they are torqueless *****es. This isn't really the case with the TL-S as it offers 232lb-feet @ 3500rpm. If you look at a dyno, the torque curve is broad and flat throughout the entire range.

Of course the TL platform shares with the Accord (thats partially why its so value orientated). There are significant differences however (longer wheelbase, different engine etc). Pick up a TL brochure and compare the feature list to an Accord. The TL is simply the bigger and more powerful brother in the family. Whats so bad with sharing a platform with one of the best selling import cars in America anyways?

The new Maxima feature list will almost match that of the TL but not completly. Once again Nissan is using different feature sets/options for the GLE and SE so there isn't one car that will have all the features of the TL-S. I'm predicting a similary equipped SE will cost within 2k of a TL-S.

Since the TL-S has only one factory installed option (the great nav system), buying was a snap for me. I picked the color and I'm set to go bargaining for a price. You don't have to worry about finding the SE in silver with the convience package but not the cold weather package.

Personally, I paid 29,700 with wheel locks and mudflaps which is substantially below the MSRP of 31,680 (or somewhere in there).

Unfortunetly, the TL-S won't be offered with a 6 speed for at least a year. The CL-S 6 speed has been confirmed but won't be available until Jan/Feb 2003. IMO, Acura will closely look at sales of the manual CL-S to determine if it will transfer over to the TL-S.

Another factor is the fact that you are buying Acura, a luxury division. A 4 year/50,000 mile warranty is nice to have along with Acura's Total Luxury Care (roadside assitance with concierge services).

IMO the TL-S is as big or bigger than the current Max:

Headroom (f/r): 38.2in/36.5in
Legroom: 42.4/35.0
Hiproom: 53.3/53.3
Shoulderoom: 56.2/55.7

The TL-S is a great car that screams value. I haven't regretted for a single second that I bought this car. Be patient and test drive a plethora of cars in this range. Happy Hunting .
Old 07-22-2001, 10:46 PM

good car...but wait for the 6 spd one out later this year.

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
Trading my Max for a new '02 Acura TL3.2 type S. i drove one today, and they are nothing short of sweet. I mean, this car was so much fun to drive! it had power, elegance, performance, and luxury. I mean it was outstanding! Talk me out of it guys, LOL. I have a new love now.....
Old 07-23-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by bioyuki
Before I bought my TL-S (in May) I was considering a 2k2MaxSE but I needed a car before the summer....Happy Hunting .
What a well thought out and thorough post. I like you.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:02 AM

Great post. I'm not sure where you got your measurements though. The Maxima is bigger in most categories.

TL Maxima

Front Headroom 39.9 in. 40.5 in.
Rear Headroom 36.8 in. 37.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room 56.2 in. 56.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room 55.7 in. 56.2 in.
Front Hip Room 56 in. 55.3 in.
Rear Hip Room 55 in. 53.7 in.
Front Leg Room 42.4 in. 44.8 in.
Rear Leg Room 35 in. 36.2 in.
**Maximum Luggage Capacity 14.3 cu.ft. 15.1 cu.ft.

Headroom (f/r): 38.2in/36.5in
Legroom: 42.4/35.0
Hiproom: 53.3/53.3
Shoulderoom: 56.2/55.7
Old 07-23-2001, 09:13 AM

I got my measurments from the brochure thingie you get from the dealer. Yeah I guess the Maxima is bigger in most catagories. From personal experience the Max back seat is bigger and the TL-S front seats are bigger. A gripe from some people is that the TL-S lacks some headroom because of the moonroof. I'm not that big of a person so the point is moot for me.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:22 AM

I test drove the TL and liked it. The back was a little cramped, but overall it was nice. I'm 6'2" and big, so it mattered to me. The $5000 difference wasn't worth it to me though. I wish the Maxima came with a 5 speed auto as well.

I got my measurments from the brochure thingie you get from the dealer. Yeah I guess the Maxima is bigger in most catagories. From personal experience the Max back seat is bigger and the TL-S front seats are bigger. A gripe from some people is that the TL-S lacks some headroom because of the moonroof. I'm not that big of a person so the point is moot for me.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:13 AM
RussMaxManiac

He is the same guy that was in the Acura-CL forums that said the Maxima was slow as ****. Well he wouldn't listen about the 5th gen and kept posting figures about the 4th gens. I am sure those figures he posted are from the 4th gen.

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Great post. I'm not sure where you got your measurements though. The Maxima is bigger in most categories.

TL Maxima

Front Headroom 39.9 in. 40.5 in.
Rear Headroom 36.8 in. 37.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room 56.2 in. 56.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room 55.7 in. 56.2 in.
Front Hip Room 56 in. 55.3 in.
Rear Hip Room 55 in. 53.7 in.
Front Leg Room 42.4 in. 44.8 in.
Rear Leg Room 35 in. 36.2 in.
**Maximum Luggage Capacity 14.3 cu.ft. 15.1 cu.ft.

Old 07-23-2001, 10:15 AM
RussMaxManiac

4th gen seats are smaller than 5th gen....ride in one, then you can pass the experience. This is the 5th gen forum and cars we are talking about.

Old 07-23-2001, 12:05 PM

He is the same guy that was in the Acura-CL forums that said the Maxima was slow as ****. Well he wouldn't listen about the 5th gen and kept posting figures about the 4th gens. I am sure those figures he posted are from the 4th gen.

Are you talking about me or Paul2kGXE?
Old 07-23-2001, 12:07 PM

4th gen seats are smaller than 5th gen....ride in one, then you can pass the experience. This is the 5th gen forum and cars we are talking about.

Yes, I have been in a 5th gen. While searching for a new car I did test drive a 2001 Max SE and GLE.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by 01SEMAX94SE4X4
agree with the others and you should test out the new Max before deciding if you are going to trade cars anyway
and the biggest advantage they had (IMO) is the HID xenon lights that the new max will have (and altima for that matter) are a lot of gripes on the tl-s board about quality control issues (no more than here, but problems seem to be different)
and if i've read correctly, the 6-sp for the acura will be NEXT fall (2003) with it coming to the cl-s first. was supposed to happen for the cl-s this year and acura scrapped it till next year problem is by then the new max will be coming out so decision time won't overlap much
im not satisfied with the way the new max looks. The '02, anyways. everything about it suddenly looks like an afterthought. Im not making my decision any time soon, but the TL-S just keeps growing on me.
Old 07-28-2001, 11:42 PM

Get the TL-S

This car is simply amazing. Most maxima owners here talk alot of crap cause they've never driven one. This is one of the hottest 4-doors out and let me tell you, it gets an amazing amount of attention.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:10 AM

Re: Get the TL-S

Originally posted by ColgateU
This car is simply amazing. Most maxima owners here talk alot of crap cause they've never driven one. This is one of the hottest 4-doors out and let me tell you, it gets an amazing amount of attention.
Yeah, the TL-S is getting lots of respect from all the magazines. But it's not like Maximas don't get their respect either. As for the styling the front end looks real nice and aggressive, the side and back look clean but a lil vanilla..but thats just my opinion..
Old 07-29-2001, 01:37 AM

[Dons on flame suit in anticipation of.........} At the end of the day when both have 260 hp engines and six speeds the maxima will STILL be a Nissan while the TL/CL type S will STILL be an over priced accord.I love the CL type S but the owners are surely giving the bimmer board a run for their money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!