5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.5 L. oil burner

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxim(a)SerjVQ
Most examples are doing serious miles in pretty harsh conditions.
Like I said earlier, I bought my car with 48k on the clock. I have reason to believe that it was a rental before that, so take what you will...I know most people are pretty harsh on rental cars. But since I've owned it, I've treated it pretty well. I have done zero performance mods (K&N filter doesn't really count), and I rarely push the car hard enough to cause any problems. And yet it seems to me the engine burns more oil now than when I bought it 40k miles ago.

While it doesn't concern me too much at this point, that will obviously change if my engine decides to seize at 100 or 110k. For an engine that's ranked as well as the VQ, there shouldn't be so many stories of early replacement and major repairs. I wonder if the people rating these engines are aware of some of these issues, or if they only focus on how the engine runs with no problems...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

Harsh conditions (Y)
Psychotic driving habits (Y)
Over 90k (Y)
Oil Burning Issues (N)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 AM

All I can say is never go by the dipstick if you want a good reading. If I check the oil an hour after driving the car (when the engine is still hot), the oil wont be splattered all over the place but the reading is above the full line by a bit...check back in another 10 hours and its right at the full mark...I dunno, I just live with it. its a small price (imo) to pay for what you get out of the car.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
drag racing is for wussies

That Nissan tech is full of ****. There is no coating on the cylinder walls, and pistons on ALL Nissans are coated. A cheap mod on a SR20 is installing 54C pistons out of a JDM spec GTi-R motor- which are alot stronger. These are also coated, just like every other Nissan pistons.

Reason for the oil burning is that Nissan switched to different piston rings, these wear out and in some severe cases the ring lands get destroyed. This is why compression is low, and the engine gets all nasty inside- blow by.

I've seen these blown motors in person, ya....its the rings and ring lands on the pistons.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
All I can say is never go by the dipstick if you want a good reading. If I check the oil an hour after driving the car (when the engine is still hot), the oil wont be splattered all over the place but the reading is above the full line by a bit...check back in another 10 hours and its right at the full mark...I dunno, I just live with it. its a small price (imo) to pay for what you get out of the car.
It's a small price to pay as long as it doesn't destroy your engine.

Does anybody know if Nissan will replace an engine for burning excessive amounts of oil after the warranty expires, or is that just a stupid question? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 AM

Nissan won't change your light bulb once the warranty expires. Let alone a 3+K dollar long block.

Unless you have had oil consumption problems in the past- while in warranty, there is NOTHING you can do, short of some kinda law suit which you will need tons of proof for in order to have a valid case against them.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Nissan won't change your light bulb once the warranty expires. Let alone a 3+K dollar long block.

Unless you have had oil consumption problems in the past- while in warranty, there is NOTHING you can do, short of some kinda law suit which you will need tons of proof for in order to have a valid case against them.
Yeah, I don't really care that much. What are the chances my engine's going to crap out anyway?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 PM

I burn 1 to 1.4 quarts/every 3500miles. broke in gently. using mobile1 synth and nissan oem filters.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:14 PM

no burning at 61k. im using regular castrol gtx.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Actually we have replaced a motor while the car was out of its 5/100 power train warrenty. Out of the good-will program, the guy had all the recommended services done and was a good customer so we did it. I think he was at 104,000kms, barely out of warrenty though. All the pathfinders were R50's, and now that BlackBIRDVQ mentioned it, the motors were all a mess, and i remember looking at the ring/ring lands and they were in pretty bad shape.

This reminds me of the 7MGTE in the supra, toyota changed the head gasket material but didnt change the torque spec, which is why so many mk3 supras suffer from BHG.

On topic, my 3.5 burns VERY little oil if at all any. I notice if i leave it for 8000km, it is a BIT low on the dipstick, maybe 1/8th of an inch from the H level. Not enough to warrent a concern IMO.

BlackBIRDVQ about what the tech said, i honestly didnt know, ive never really learned enough about the VQ to know whether or not, but i know this tech sometimes gets **** confused, i argued with him that my cars main cat was underneath my drivers seat. he was convinced i removed my main cat when i installed my y-pipe, he kept thinking my pre-cat was the main cat. He is an idiot at times, theres reasons why we call him dr.overkill at work
Old 09-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Actually we have replaced a motor while the car was out of its 5/100 power train warrenty. Out of the good-will program, the guy had all the recommended services done and was a good customer so we did it. I think he was at 104,000kms, barely out of warrenty though. All the pathfinders were R50's, and now that BlackBIRDVQ mentioned it, the motors were all a mess, and i remember looking at the ring/ring lands and they were in pretty bad shape.

This reminds me of the 7MGTE in the supra, toyota changed the head gasket material but didnt change the torque spec, which is why so many mk3 supras suffer from BHG.

On topic, my 3.5 burns VERY little oil if at all any. I notice if i leave it for 8000km, it is a BIT low on the dipstick, maybe 1/8th of an inch from the H level. Not enough to warrent a concern IMO.

BlackBIRDVQ about what the tech said, i honestly didnt know, ive never really learned enough about the VQ to know whether or not, but i know this tech sometimes gets **** confused, i argued with him that my cars main cat was underneath my drivers seat. he was convinced i removed my main cat when i installed my y-pipe, he kept thinking my pre-cat was the main cat. He is an idiot at times, theres reasons why we call him dr.overkill at work
do you think the precats are the cause of oil burn? I ask b/c Im on my 2nd engine and the 1st one was burning like crazy. But Nissan never checked the precats and Im worried now that some more damage may have been done to the new one as well..2500 miles on it. I think some debris may have been sucked into the engine already. So Im going to quite wasting time and take the car in and have them check the precats..I'll pay the diagnostic fee. I just dont have the right jack and tools to do it myself unfortunately.

Suppose they find the precats to be bad...is it already too late for the new engine? Im guessing its probably damaged already
Old 09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Cletus

its the ring
/argument
Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 PM

thats understood by everyone...but I have a feeling the bad precats increase backpressure which in someway messes up the rings...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:27 PM

So far the car has 90 000km and doesnt burn a bit of oil.I used to drive it hard but I decided that before it would start burning oil I would let loose on the gas pedal.My car is automatic and its a 2002 gxe.

Im thinking about selling the car next summer before the car decides to break down massively.I already changed the oil pan the MAF and Im having tranny issues right now wich is covered by my extended motor tranny warranty.

Reason why I say thinking is that I really love this car despite the troubles I've had with it so far.Im asking myself what I could buy for the same amount of money I spend on payments per month and only found econoboxes.So I guess im going to stick with the Maxima.

Since the car started to broke down, im having a love hate relationship with it.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Cletus

thats understood by everyone...but I have a feeling the bad precats increase backpressure which in someway messes up the rings...
rings cause the problem on their own...not the precats
Old 09-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
rings cause the problem on their own...not the precats
so why is there so much talk of precats? whats the worst bad precats can do to an engine? can it contribute to oil loss in any way or will it just shoot debris in the engine?

off topic: Im buying an extended warranty from nissan just to be completely on the safe side so I wont have to worry about this anymore...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:49 PM

so why is there so much talk of precats? whats the worst bad precats can do to an engine? can it contribute to oil loss in any way or will it just shoot debris in the engine?

off topic: Im buying an extended warranty from nissan just to be completely on the safe side so I wont have to worry about this anymore...
how much is said extended warranty running? how many miles currently? what are the stipulations?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 PM

im not too sure but I have 57k miles...im guessing around $1k-$1.5k but Im just looking for basic powertrain coverage only
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Ok the debris from the cats dissintegrating get sucked into the combustion chambers on deceleration- durring reversion of exhaust gases. This is done to create an EGR effect without acutally having an EGR system on the car.

These debris will harm the rings and score up the cylinder walls. Rings will not seal the cylinder 100% and you end up with VERY dirty oil, tons of blow by and bad oil consumption.

In order to fix this. Headers.

This is why so many Maximas with headers do not burn oil- because they had em installed early in their life and they have no oil burning problems. That is MY take on this.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:10 AM

Ok the debris from the cats dissintegrating get sucked into the combustion chambers on deceleration- durring reversion of exhaust gases. This is done to create an EGR effect without acutally having an EGR system on the car.

These debris will harm the rings and score up the cylinder walls. Rings will not seal the cylinder 100% and you end up with VERY dirty oil, tons of blow by and bad oil consumption.

In order to fix this. Headers.

This is why so many Maximas with headers do not burn oil- because they had em installed early in their life and they have no oil burning problems. That is MY take on this.
This was very common on the QR25DE as well.

No, it's not JUST the rings.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 AM

It's just the rings! I go through at least a qrt every 1k miles and I have had headers since before the problem. I installed headers after reading the cats caused the problem and it still happened to me.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 AM

what mileage were the headers installed and when did you notice the oil burn problem?

plus the precats probably already did the damage before the headers came on but you started to notice it when you had the headers
Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 PM

what mileage were the headers installed and when did you notice the oil burn problem?

plus the precats probably already did the damage before the headers came on but you started to notice it when you had the headers
I installed headers at about 60k and oil burning started at about 75-80k and has gotten signifantly worse. I am now at 107k
Old 09-03-2007, 04:30 PM

You were probbaly a little too late. But then again, the pre-cats dont start to decompose untill the oil burning is probably already an issue. and yes that was one of main problems with the 2.5, was the cat falling apart and getting sucked back into the engine, and wreaking havoc from there on. I am not really surprised, now that it has been mentioned, i remember one of those pathfinders had a fairly large chunk of the pre-cat missing. reminded me of a honey comb but smaller lol.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:53 PM

will a bad precat yield an SES or MIL light? I mean it would obviously mean there is catalyst inefficiency...
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Cletus

will a bad precat yield an SES or MIL light? I mean it would obviously mean there is catalyst inefficiency...
no
a precat only works until the main cats heats up and can work effectively. that doesnt take long at all.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
You were probbaly a little too late. But then again, the pre-cats dont start to decompose untill the oil burning is probably already an issue. and yes that was one of main problems with the 2.5, was the cat falling apart and getting sucked back into the engine, and wreaking havoc from there on. I am not really surprised, now that it has been mentioned, i remember one of those pathfinders had a fairly large chunk of the pre-cat missing. reminded me of a honey comb but smaller lol.
My cat after the Y-pipe did disinergrate completely clogging my res and muffler but when I pulled the manifolds with the precats they were completely intac, No chunks missing at all just full with honeycomb
Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 PM

yea I highly doubt the main cat debris would get sucked up all the way into the cumbustion chamber...hmm

when you checked your precats was there 2 mesh filters on each end of the precat inside?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 PM

No they were just filled with that cat material. No filters
Old 09-03-2007, 07:29 PM

really? I saw a precat in person and it had mesh guards on both sides..probably to prevent any debris from escaping
Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 PM

I don't recall seeing any filter of anysort. I do remember looking closely at the precats because I've heard this topic be discussed before. (It's been 2 yrs or so now though)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=precats

read post 16
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=20592

4th pic down shows what you are talking about. It just doesn't look familiar to me. Maby I'm just getting forgetful or thinking of another car I've worked on but I could of swore my precats didn't have that screen. Oh well doesn't really matter anyway.

I would think that the screen would prevent the cats from being sucked up in the engine
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Cletus

all cats (pre and main) have that screen on both sides with the honeycomb center
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 AM

yeah my motor went bad at 58K miles and 3 months left to the expiration of powertrain warranty
nissan covered it without askin questions, since i did every single oil change (every 3K miles on the dot) through the dealership
i think that some motor driven in a spirited manner tend to burn oil earlier, since they are pushed harder
Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 AM

So, is there a way to fix the oil consumption short of replacing the motor?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
So, is there a way to fix the oil consumption short of replacing the motor?
There are additives and "mystery oils" that claim to decrease oil consumption, but in reality if the rings are the cause there is nothing you can do short of replacing the rings and having the cylinders cleaned up/honed.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
There are additives and "mystery oils" that claim to decrease oil consumption, but in reality if the rings are the cause there is nothing you can do short of replacing the rings and having the cylinders cleaned up/honed.
Is there any reason to believe that the 2nd set of rings and honed / cleaned-up cylinders won't do the same thing?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Is there any reason to believe that the 2nd set of rings and honed / cleaned-up cylinders won't do the same thing?
i would assume that when doing a rebuild that one would use aftermarket rings instead of factory rings for obvious reasons. i don't think there is a break in procedure for the rings? i have the oil burning issue and if i was to ever rebuild, then i would deff go with aftermarket rings from reputable company and also run regular dino oil in it. dont think going to synthetic is going to make a difference.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by nk2k2
i would assume that when doing a rebuild that one would use aftermarket rings instead of factory rings for obvious reasons. i don't think there is a break in procedure for the rings? i have the oil burning issue and if i was to ever rebuild, then i would deff go with aftermarket rings from reputable company and also run regular dino oil in it. dont think going to synthetic is going to make a difference.
Do you have any idea how much much aftermarket rings and the honing / cleaning would cost (assuming I tear down the engine and built it back up myself)?

Quick Reply: 3.5 L. oil burner