5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine/front-end noises...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Engine/front-end noises...

So my car's had this noise for a few months now...came out of nowhere...

I would say about 95% of the time when I accelerate (first 2-3 seconds after pushing pedal), I hear a noise that sounds like crickets at night coming from the engine bay...I can only hear it if my windows are open, but it's pretty loud and one of those embarrassing noises. I also have another...this one I think is more drivetrain-related...I have something that sounds like a short and semi-quiet squeaking every 1 or 2 seconds while I'm driving...again I can only hear it with my windows down, but it's annoying...I thought possibly serpentine belt, but I really have no idea...the belt has about 40k miles on it...

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Me too...

I am having the same problem (cricket noises from the engine bay.)

It sounds like a very small, thin, metal arm tapping against something. It seems to be directly related to the engine, and possibly its performance, since the sound only occurs within certain rev's.

I'm driving an automatic '00 SE with 85k, no modifications, that only gets fed premium. I had an ignition coil replaced 4 months ago, I'm noticing a significant power decrease especially in lower gears, and I can smell unburned fuel if I really push the acceleration.

No error codes to speak of though...which is annoying.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Cletus

bad motor mounts
bad belts
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for reply...can you give me a general idea of what should be done about the motor mounts, if anything, and how much it may cost?

Hopefully something just needs to be tightened.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 AM

2002 SE auto. I've had this problem for the past 5 months. Took the car to my mechanic and he could not find where the noise came from and told me that the car was ok (he told me to just drive it as is).

The "cricket" noise in my car occurs only between 1300rpm to 2000rpm. And it is very audible when the window is lowered (can't hear it when the window is up). I would very muchy appreciate it, if someone can identify the potential cause and the cost to fixing the problem. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 AM

I've Had This Problem Too Yet Another With This Darn Car...i've Had It Since I Got It And The Guys At Nissan Said Multiple Time That It Is A Gas Related Issue. You Need To Use Premium...i Had A Chat With Some Guy In The Noobs Section On This As Well...it Would Be Nice To Find Out The Mystery Behind This Noise????????????
Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Gas issue? C'mon...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Muffler Bearing ?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 PM

i have the same prob but, she still runs so its all good
Old 08-21-2007, 03:56 PM

FYI - I have been using premium gas and the noise is coming from the engine bay.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Professor`
Muffler Bearing ?
I was thinking the same thing. Either that or it could be the Kuhneutson Valve

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=9
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 AM

I am about to see my mechanic regarding the muffler bearing change. I really don't want to hear the "cricket" noise - it's very annoying. Does anybody know how much a new muffler bearing install may cost? I want an estimate before going to see my mechanic. I have '02 SE. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shur
Does anybody know how much a new muffler bearing install may cost?
Oh Boy.....
Old 08-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Cletus

the problem is actually the clutch belt

A long time ago when the transmission began to slip, you'd know it was time for a rebuild. But! Rebuilds are costly, and half the time, not neccesary. What you may be experiencing is clutch-belt failure! KaleCoAuto heavy duty kevlar belts are made with the quality you can expect from KaleCoAuto. Please specify diameter and width of belt when ordering.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
the problem is actually the clutch belt

A long time ago when the transmission began to slip, you'd know it was time for a rebuild. But! Rebuilds are costly, and half the time, not neccesary. What you may be experiencing is clutch-belt failure! KaleCoAuto heavy duty kevlar belts are made with the quality you can expect from KaleCoAuto. Please specify diameter and width of belt when ordering.
Do you have any helpful suggestions?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Do you have any helpful suggestions?
yup..check 90% of my posts (including post 3 in this thread)
Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 AM

i have this weird noise in my car too its coming from the front left when i hit bumps. i hear it when i go slow too like 20 30mph. no idea what it is. dealership just pushes it off like nothing
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 AM

I also have another...this one I think is more drivetrain-related...I have something that sounds like a short and semi-quiet squeaking every 1 or 2 seconds while I'm driving...again I can only hear it with my windows down, but it's annoying...
I figured out this weekend that the non-engine related noise described above goes away when I apply the brakes. Does this tell anybody anything?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Bringing my car in for another checkup by the good old stealership. They suggested new struts and I put them in. Now they say well bring it in since your still getting problems with noises. That squeeking noise is driving me crazy I have had it since I got the car. I am going to have them check out the control arms and the outer tie rods to see if that helps. I have changed everything else to new. Sway bar links, new struts, new mounts, new upper spring seat, new lower seat, new strut bearing, new inner tie rod right side. Is there anything else left???????

Riding stock height with stock wheels
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by NJYTHRD
I've Had This Problem Too Yet Another With This Darn Car...i've Had It Since I Got It And The Guys At Nissan Said Multiple Time That It Is A Gas Related Issue. You Need To Use Premium...i Had A Chat With Some Guy In The Noobs Section On This As Well...it Would Be Nice To Find Out The Mystery Behind This Noise????????????
they told me the same thing in those exact words thats i should use 91 gas and that it would stop. and that was a year and i still have the same problem afte putting 91 in my car. But at least they didnt try to make up something and say they know what it is and charge us a 100s of dollars
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM
wat

Originally Posted by LikeAboss
Bringing my car in for another checkup by the good old stealership. They suggested new struts and I put them in. Now they say well bring it in since your still getting problems with noises. That squeeking noise is driving me crazy I have had it since I got the car. I am going to have them check out the control arms and the outer tie rods to see if that helps. I have changed everything else to new. Sway bar links, new struts, new mounts, new upper spring seat, new lower seat, new strut bearing, new inner tie rod right side. Is there anything else left???????

Riding stock height with stock wheels
the answer is in this thread

I onder if its post three.... nahhh soonerfan doesn't know anything.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz

+

The dealership highest tech and I use that term loosely said that nothing was wrong except the struts. I know he is not that good because I know that my outer tie rod are worn but he didn't even notice that and I am not a tech and can clearly see that. They said nothing was wrong with my motor mounts and said if there was I would definetly know by the way the car drives. My belts are fine too no problems there.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz

those were options based on common causes to that problem on here.
i never said it HAD to be one of those
Old 09-08-2007, 05:05 PM

The noise that I'm referring to is not the knocking that people have from bad struts. The 'cricket' noise is definitely something to do with the engine. When you say motor mounts, are you referring to electronic problems that might lead to a 'cricket noise' or just the loose engine that sounds like knocking?

I don't think it's belts with me; mine aren't that old and the noise does not really sound like belts to me.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM

The noise that I'm referring to is not the knocking that people have from bad struts. The 'cricket' noise is definitely something to do with the engine. When you say motor mounts, are you referring to electronic problems that might lead to a 'cricket noise' or just the loose engine that sounds like knocking?

I don't think it's belts with me; mine aren't that old and the noise does not really sound like belts to me.
found the cricket noise in my car today and fixed it thanks to soonerfan. I found out it had to do with my hood. my hood stops on the outer end near the fender where the hood meets behind the light was loose and moving around. I simply bought some weather stripping and applied it to the hood where it meets the headlights and put some where the hood meets the hood stops and that's it. No more noises. I thought it was my suspension but I guess not.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by LikeAboss
found the cricket noise in my car today and fixed it thanks to soonerfan. I found out it had to do with my hood. my hood stops on the outer end near the fender where the hood meets behind the light was loose and moving around. I simply bought some weather stripping and applied it to the hood where it meets the headlights and put some where the hood meets the hood stops and that's it. No more noises. I thought it was my suspension but I guess not.
Must be a different cricket noise...mine is definitely engine related (happens within a certain rpm range when applying gas)

But congrats on fixing your noise!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 AM

My car is an 03 with 40k on it. I have noticed a different noise but was wondering if anyone else has experienced it as well. Basically it occurs at the lower range rpms when accelerating quickly. For the most part it is noticeable in first and second gears. It sounds like a lower pitched, vibration of some sort and might be a heat shield.

Anyone experience this???
Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sok1618
My car is an 03 with 40k on it. I have noticed a different noise but was wondering if anyone else has experienced it as well. Basically it occurs at the lower range rpms when accelerating quickly. For the most part it is noticeable in first and second gears. It sounds like a lower pitched, vibration of some sort and might be a heat shield.

Anyone experience this???

i have this too i think .. almost sounds like something is spinning for a second .. it doesnt concern me too much though
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have an 02 se and i definitely have that same noise. I would say mine sounds more like a chinging noise or rattling(even though nothing is rattling). so i have read a bunch of differant things on here and im guessing no one really knows what this annoying noise is?