5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto tranny shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 AM

Auto tranny shift

I searched and couldn't find an answer, so:

My trans seems to shift fine under normal acceleration or if I push it. I have never floored it but really punched it and it just hauls. I can't imagine if I actually put it down to the floor...kinda scary.

Anyway, if I acclerate from a stop and while it's still in 1st gear I let up on the gas just b4 the point of it shifting into 2nd, and when it shifts into 2nd it shifts hard, atleast to me, and it doesn't seem right. It doesn't hang or hesitate, it just shifts hard and I don't know if "slam" is a word for it, but it's not anything like the smooth shifts under constant acceleration. Under a load it is really smooth, but seems that the less of the load the harder it shifts. Is this normal? I got my max at 53K miles, now has 75K and nothing has changed in the way it shifts. Fluid has been drained/filled at 63K, 74K with ARX added, and another drain/fill at 75K to purge some of the ARX. Using Castrol Import ATF fluid. MAF replaced sometime ago as well.

Whassupp?? TIA.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
I searched and couldn't find an answer, so:

My trans seems to shift fine under normal acceleration or if I push it. I have never floored it but really punched it and it just hauls. I can't imagine if I actually put it down to the floor...kinda scary.
..... well.

Whassupp?? TIA.
My 2Xrebuilt auto has the same thing....the harder you push the smoother the shift...the less you push the worse the shift. Honestly I know my tranny is going to go sometime in the near future (198k) esp with the hot days approaching...but ...at ur stage (75k) you may be able to take precautionary measures to insure your rough shifting doesnt get worse any time soon. In other words prelong the life of your transmission by getting a Transmission Cooler and keeping up with your flushes as your doing..and IMO your transmission will make out just fine.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 PM

I think its totally normal since you let go of the gas just before shifting.Nothing to do with bad trannies or what ever problem you might think of.Mine's doing the same thing at the exact same moment in the same circonstances.Tranny shifts just after you let go of the gaz and then theres no throttle what do you expect?Dont worry your auto tranny is fine.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
My 2Xrebuilt auto has the same thing....the harder you push the smoother the shift...the less you push the worse the shift. Honestly I know my tranny is going to go sometime in the near future (198k) esp with the hot days approaching...but ...at ur stage (75k) you may be able to take precautionary measures to insure your rough shifting doesnt get worse any time soon. In other words prelong the life of your transmission by getting a Transmission Cooler and keeping up with your flushes as your doing..and IMO your transmission will make out just fine.
hey, where can i get a transmission cooler, and is it something i can install myself?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by theoutsider
I think its totally normal since you let go of the gas just before shifting.Nothing to do with bad trannies or what ever problem you might think of.Mine's doing the same thing at the exact same moment in the same circonstances.Tranny shifts just after you let go of the gaz and then theres no throttle what do you expect?Dont worry your auto tranny is fine.
That's good to hear...I just thought it should shift smoothly in that situation as well, but I don't understand the mechanics of the whole tranny thing and how it can be smooth under load but not in all occasions...my van does kinda the same thing, so I didn't know what to think since my van is a Dodge, and well, they aren't known for great trannys.

Do you think amsoil will change things at all? Worth it to try? Gets expensive if I switch to it so not sure..