5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MY GOD!!! GReddy cat-back is freaking LOUD~~

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 07:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

and i like it...hehe...

now, if i can stay away from the pesky ....
Old 07-13-2001, 07:30 PM

Got any pics?
Old 07-13-2001, 07:46 PM

Really loud. But good time, rice boy.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Got any pics?
nah, not yet. just put it in about 2 hours ago.
i should have the pics up soon...as soon as i can find a digital camara....
Old 07-13-2001, 08:12 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to say it, but the car looks GREAT!
Old 07-13-2001, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Oh yeah, forgot to say it, but the car looks GREAT!

Thanks man....likewise..
Old 07-13-2001, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by irvine78
and i like it...hehe...

now, if i can stay away from the pesky ....
No surprise there, Hoon. My suspicion is that any catback in combination with a Y-pipe will be loud. Now you know why I decided to install a resonator!
Old 07-13-2001, 10:25 PM
RBa

Resonator didn't help for me....

My exhaust was pretty quiet b4 the y-pipe...
Now the sound is unbearable.....
Old 07-13-2001, 10:40 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

How much louder is it compared to..... say, Dennis' car? His car wasn't loud, but can you give an estimate? About 2X, 3X, etc.? Thanks!

Loud is good, but too loud might not be.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:57 PM
RBa

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
How much louder is it compared to..... say, Dennis' car? His car wasn't loud, but can you give an estimate? About 2X, 3X, etc.? Thanks!

Loud is good, but too loud might not be.
I'd say 2x.... Is that good or bad???
Old 07-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by RBa

I'd say 2x.... Is that good or bad???
Good because Dennis' 4th gen Greddy isn't as loud as Jane's.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Good because Dennis' 4th gen Greddy isn't as loud as Jane's.
i say mine's at 'least' 2x loud as Dennis'....

hey, Bruce...the GReddy catback does come with a resonator...it's just smaller one compared to the stock...
Old 07-14-2001, 07:39 AM

hey, Bruce...the GReddy catback does come with a resonator...it's just smaller one compared to the stock...
Yeah. I saw that in the pic of the Greddy catback, Hoon. But in combination with a Y-pipe, I doubt their resonator is big enough to make a real difference.

My exhaust system is significantly louder with the Y-pipe installed. Even with a 22" resonator, I can't hear my engine wind up any more. It's all exhaust. And the tonality has changed as well. It's deeper and more muscular all the way from idle to red line.

At the risk of getting flamed again (or drowned in milk perhaps), I'd like to offer the following advice. If you've purchased or are planning to purchase a Y-pipe and you're concerned about the amount of sound your exhaust will produce, don't do what I did. Install your Y-pipe BEFORE you make any other changes to your exhaust system. Once your Y-pipe is installed, proceed SLOWLY in making other modifications like replacing your muffler, removing your resonator or running wider diameter piping. The only way I know of to do that is to roll your own catback system. Any pre-fabricated catback in combination with a Y-pipe may be too loud to suit you and it may not comply with state and local noise level regulations. And while most catback manufacturers will warrant that their systems won't exceed statutory maximum noise levels, I doubt they'll stand behind their warranty if other elements of your exhaust system have been modified, elements such as headers, Y-pipes, catalytic converters, etc.

OK guys, flame (lactate) away!
Old 07-15-2001, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by y2kse

Yeah. I saw that in the pic of the Greddy catback, Hoon. But in combination with a Y-pipe, I doubt their resonator is big enough to make a real difference.

My exhaust system is significantly louder with the Y-pipe installed. Even with a 22" resonator, I can't hear my engine wind up any more. It's all exhaust. And the tonality has changed as well. It's deeper and more muscular all the way from idle to red line.

At the risk of getting flamed again (or drowned in milk perhaps), I'd like to offer the following advice. If you've purchased or are planning to purchase a Y-pipe and you're concerned about the amount of sound your exhaust will produce, don't do what I did. Install your Y-pipe BEFORE you make any other changes to your exhaust system. Once your Y-pipe is installed, proceed SLOWLY in making other modifications like replacing your muffler, removing your resonator or running wider diameter piping. The only way I know of to do that is to roll your own catback system. Any pre-fabricated catback in combination with a Y-pipe may be too loud to suit you and it may not comply with state and local noise level regulations. And while most catback manufacturers will warrant that their systems won't exceed statutory maximum noise levels, I doubt they'll stand behind their warranty if other elements of your exhaust system have been modified, elements such as headers, Y-pipes, catalytic converters, etc.

OK guys, flame (lactate) away!

haha....in Bruce's defence, i'd say Bruce is right.
that's exactly what i did. i bought my y-pipe early this year and have been looking for ideal exhaust system for my car. i found a GReddy EVOlution system, and against some of my peers' opinion(), i made the purchase.
not only did my exhaust not become much louder, i also picked up more high end power.
the difference is quite significant. i took my car down to Carlsbad drag strip today and i noticed that i had more top-end power than before my exhaust. normally, i'd cross the finish line in 3rd gear right before the red-line, but today, i've had to shift into 4th gear before the finish line to keep the engine from red-lining.
after one hour drive to San Diego, my ears were hurting like nobody's business because of my exhaust noise, but hey, it's all part of the game...
Old 07-15-2001, 07:07 AM

haha....in Bruce's defence, i'd say Bruce is right.
that's exactly what i did. i bought my y-pipe early this year and have been looking for ideal exhaust system for my car. i found a GReddy EVOlution system, and against some of my peers' opinion(), i made the purchase.
not only did my exhaust not become much louder, i also picked up more high end power.
the difference is quite significant. i took my car down to Carlsbad drag strip today and i noticed that i had more top-end power than before my exhaust. normally, i'd cross the finish line in 3rd gear right before the red-line, but today, i've had to shift into 4th gear before the finish line to keep the engine from red-lining.
after one hour drive to San Diego, my ears were hurting like nobody's business because of my exhaust noise, but hey, it's all part of the game...
Thanks, Hoon. I agree that a catback system in combination with a Y-pipe will yield more high end power. But as we've both discovered, the Y-pipe will also magnify the amount of sound produced by ANY other modifications to the exhaust system. The more extensive the modifications, the more sound that will be produced. So if you modify several things all at once as in the case of a bolt-on catback system, you can expect to end up with a system that's "freaking LOUD"! Some people may be willing to pay that price. Some may not. For those that are not, you've been warned.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:56 AM
PhatGuy

Thanks for the info! I have an intake, y-pipe on now and everything else is stock. If I get a custom b pipe made and installed will I get HP increase and will it be louder if I keep the res and stock muffler. Does anyone have pics of a custom b pipe installed? Is it the part that connects from the back of the resonator to the catback? I'm not 100% clear what the b-pipe really is? All I know is that part the connects to the res on that crazy angle, flimsy and skinny part looks lousy for air flow.

Thanks, Hoon. I agree that a catback system in combination with a Y-pipe will yield more high end power. But as we've both discovered, the Y-pipe will also magnify the amount of sound produced by ANY other modifications to the exhaust system. The more extensive the modifications, the more sound that will be produced. So if you modify several things all at once as in the case of a bolt-on catback system, you can expect to end up with a system that's "freaking LOUD"! Some people may be willing to pay that price. Some may not. For those that are not, you've been warned.

Old 07-15-2001, 09:38 AM

what's really weird about this is that before my GReddy, my car was soo quiet. i could't even hear my Y-pipe unless i was going thru a underpass or a tunnel. now, i can't hear my intake!!!
Old 07-15-2001, 09:55 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I'm not 100% clear what the b-pipe really is? All I know is that part the connects to the res on that crazy angle, flimsy and skinny part looks lousy for air flow.

The b-pipe is the piping that goes from the main cat back to the muffler. It includes the resonator, which is the big cylindrical unit behind the main cat.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:36 AM

what's really weird about this is that before my GReddy, my car was soo quiet. i could't even hear my Y-pipe unless i was going thru a underpass or a tunnel. now, i can't hear my intake!!!
I don't find that weird at all, Hoon. Before I installed my Y-pipe, I had already installed an RT cat and a complete aftermarket catback system without a resonator in my Max and I could hear my engine wind up just fine. Now, with the Y-pipe and a resonator installed, I can't hear my engine rev over the exhaust.

Once again, our experience goes to show how much of an impact a Y-pipe has on the sound levels produced by any other changes in the exhaust system.

BTW, I haven't gotten used to the sound of my exhaust yet. It's really deceptive. The tone is SO deep and throaty that it just purrs (albeit LOUDLY) at 4,000 rpm. As a result, I have to keep an eye on my tach to realize how high I'm revving the engine.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:41 AM
Got Bent?

How about this: what if you were to get an 2.5" RT cat with the y-pipe, while keeping the stock cat-back setup? I am guessing the high flow cat wouldn't increase noise that much more....
Old 07-15-2001, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
How about this: what if you were to get an 2.5" RT cat with the y-pipe, while keeping the stock cat-back setup? I am guessing the high flow cat wouldn't increase noise that much more....

i don't think the high flow cat adds much to your performance...it's better than the stock one but not as significant power source than a catback exhaust.
if you do not want to live with the exhaust noise, then you'll have to make sure to install 'bigger' resonator than the GReddy one....this one's LOUD~~~
Old 07-15-2001, 10:50 AM
Got Bent?

i don't think the high flow cat adds much to your performance...it's better than the stock one but not as significant power source than a catback exhaust.
if you do not want to live with the exhaust noise, then you'll have to make sure to install 'bigger' resonator than the GReddy one....this one's LOUD~~~
Thats what i figured, but I am working my way down the exhaust setup.... The cat is next for me After that, I will do something about the b-pipe and muffler. I may just keep the stock muffler and go with a b-pipe + resonator though....
Old 07-15-2001, 10:53 AM

If someone were to ask me, I'd say change ONE THING AT A TIME behind the Y-pipe and test it out for the noise increase. Now I doubt that putting an RT cat in your system would increase the noise level that much if that's all you did. I also doubt that removing the resonator would increase the noise level that much if that's all you did. Nor would replacing your muffer probably increase the noise level that much if that's all you did. But do two or three at once while increasing the diameter of your exhaust piping (in other words, install a bolt-on catback system) and you're likely to need hearing protection when you drive your car.
Old 07-15-2001, 07:30 PM
Chillboy

I am so glad that the greddy/y-pipe combo is loud. now i can scare those god damn pedestrians in DC who try to cross the street in my green light.... hahahaha... pedestrians in DC beware! youve been warned.

Old 07-15-2001, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Chillboy
I am so glad that the greddy/y-pipe combo is loud. now i can scare those god damn pedestrians in DC who try to cross the street in my green light.... hahahaha... pedestrians in DC beware! youve been warned.

Old 07-15-2001, 10:23 PM
RBa

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

The b-pipe is the piping that goes from the main cat back to the muffler. It includes the resonator, which is the big cylindrical unit behind the main cat.
I thought the b-pipe was the little pipe that connects from the cat to the resonator?...

Adding a hi-flow cat doesn't do much?... Custom Maxima was saying that it'll increase over 14 extra horses & 16 lbs torque..

BTW...Today I got in my friends Camry and realized how loud my car is... I still like it though...
Old 07-15-2001, 10:32 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by RBa

I thought the b-pipe was the little pipe that connects from the cat to the resonator?...

I thought so too?

Old 07-16-2001, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by RBa

Adding a hi-flow cat doesn't do much?... Custom Maxima was saying that it'll increase over 14 extra horses & 16 lbs torque..

BTW...Today I got in my friends Camry and realized how loud my car is... I still like it though...
yeah...i found out my car was REALLY loud when i drove my dads' Q45 to the LAX...

no, the b-pipe is the pipe which connects your cat to your muffler.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:42 AM

wrong...why does everyone think the b pipe is the entire pipe from the cat to the muffler...even according to brian catts (cattman) and maxrev (cattmans shop) the b pipe is the little piece between the cat and the midpipe that has the o2 sensor in it...that is a b pipe...the rest of the piping between the b pipe and muffler is called the midpipe
Old 07-16-2001, 05:23 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Chillboy
did you get yours yet? When do you want to hook it up?
Old 07-16-2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by RBa

"The "B" pipe is the portion of the exhaust system between the catalytic converter and the muffler."

Source: http://www.se-r.net/header_exhaust/stromung_b_pipe.html

"It [The "B" Pipe] replaces the pipe between the Muffler and the Catalytic Convertor."

Source: Steve Millen Sports Parts, 2001 Catalog, pg. 32.

"A b-pipe is the piping immediately behind the catalytic converter to the muffler."

Source: https://maxima.org/maxfaqs/sub_perfo...Performance_4a
Old 07-16-2001, 08:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by MrBurner
wrong...why does everyone think the b pipe is the entire pipe from the cat to the muffler...even according to brian catts (cattman) and maxrev (cattmans shop) the b pipe is the little piece between the cat and the midpipe that has the o2 sensor in it...that is a b pipe...the rest of the piping between the b pipe and muffler is called the midpipe

Maybe they are wrong and the rest of the world is right...
Old 07-16-2001, 08:18 AM

I definitely agree that you should work your way down the exhaust because thats what I did. I first installed a custom B-pipe eliminating the stock resonator. Second I installed the Cattman's Y-pipe and even then the car was nice and quiet. Third I hated how the Anniv. Ed. had the muffler tips angled down so I swapped the stock muffler out with a aftermarket universal and DAMN was that loud. Let me say that it was so loud that if you were to stand next to the car when I revved it you would FEEL the floor vibrating!I had to bring the car right back to the muffler shop and have them put in the biggest resonator that would fit which happened to be a 24" resonator with a 4" casing. Now it is exactly the way I want it. It's a deep/loud but not obnoxious.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by BottleFedMax
I definitely agree that you should work your way down the exhaust because thats what I did. I first installed a custom B-pipe eliminating the stock resonator. Second I installed the Cattman's Y-pipe and even then the car was nice and quiet. Third I hated how the Anniv. Ed. had the muffler tips angled down so I swapped the stock muffler out with a aftermarket universal and DAMN was that loud. Let me say that it was so loud that if you were to stand next to the car when I revved it you would FEEL the floor vibrating!I had to bring the car right back to the muffler shop and have them put in the biggest resonator that would fit which happened to be a 24" resonator with a 4" casing. Now it is exactly the way I want it. It's a deep/loud but not obnoxious.
That's how my Max sounds now too after I installed a 22" Magnaflow resonator. But it wasn't that big a deal for me to spend the money on the resonator because the rest of my custom catback system wasn't that expensive. On the other hand, can you imagine how someone would feel if they had to replace the resonator on a bolt-on catback in order to quiet it down after spending God only knows how much on the catback itself? Man, I'd be p!ssed!
Old 07-16-2001, 09:50 AM

What comes in the GReddy kit?

Sup Fellas,

2 questions... what exactly comes in the greddy kit? A b-pipe and a muffler too? How does the muffler look? Good I hope...next question is, if the resonator is too small on the GReddy system, is it bolted on to where you can replace it or does it have to be cut off and a different resonator welded on.....holla back.

Deac
Old 07-16-2001, 12:05 PM

Re: What comes in the GReddy kit?

Originally posted by Deac

Sup Fellas,

2 questions... what exactly comes in the greddy kit? A b-pipe and a muffler too? How does the muffler look? Good I hope...next question is, if the resonator is too small on the GReddy system, is it bolted on to where you can replace it or does it have to be cut off and a different resonator welded on.....holla back.

Deac

the GReddy EVOlution is a full catback system. meaning, the system comes with full piping from the back of the cat, and a muffler.

no, you can't just un-bolt the resonator on this system. it's welded, so if you want, you're just gonna have to cut it out and weld in a new one.

p.s.: hey, Bruce, i didn't have to spend a fortune to get my GReddy... trust me....i got it for far less than you'd imagine...hehe....
Old 07-16-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: What comes in the GReddy kit?

p.s.: hey, Bruce, i didn't have to spend a fortune to get my GReddy... trust me....i got it for far less than you'd imagine...hehe....
Way to go, Hoon. But I've got to believe that's based on a one-off. For Y-pipe owners who aren't as fortunate as you, my bet is that many of them are going to be gasping for air by the time they pay for their GReddy catback systems, pay to have them installed, realize they're too loud, pay for a larger resonator, pay to have their catbacks hacked up so the resonator can be installed, and blow away their GReddy warranties in the process!
Old 07-16-2001, 02:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: What comes in the GReddy kit?

Way to go, Hoon. But I've got to believe that's based on a one-off. For Y-pipe owners who aren't as fortunate as you, my bet is that many of them are going to be gasping for air by the time they pay for their GReddy catback systems, pay to have them installed, realize they're too loud, pay for a larger resonator, pay to have their catbacks hacked up so the resonator can be installed, and blow away their GReddy warranties in the process!
2 more questions....How does the muffler look? Somebody has to post some pics with their Max up on a lift so we can see what it looks like. If the muffler looks like crap, and the sound the GReddy sytem puts out is really that bad, then I guess everyone should go custom and not only save money, but save them selves the hassle of having to customize the GReddy system that you already paid $600 bucks for!! By the time its all said and done after you buy the kit, pay for install and customizing, you'll probably be close to $1000 bucks! Besides you'd probably get the same amount of HP gain, for less money, and a quieter sound if you go custom. $1000 is too much to pay for JUST A BRAND NAME! So...I guess my other question is, is the GReddy system really worth it if everyone says its sooo loud? I have to admit I've been excited about the prospects of getting this GReddy system but now after all this feed back, I dont know! I do like the fact that it was said that you can really feel the mod on the high end...but OH the aggravation to get the system done right!!! Holla...

Deac
Old 07-16-2001, 02:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What comes in the GReddy kit?

2 more questions....How does the muffler look? Somebody has to post some pics with their Max up on a lift so we can see what it looks like. If the muffler looks like crap, and the sound the GReddy sytem puts out is really that bad, then I guess everyone should go custom and not only save money, but save them selves the hassle of having to customize the GReddy system that you already paid $600 bucks for!! By the time its all said and done after you buy the kit, pay for install and customizing, you'll probably be close to $1000 bucks! Besides you'd probably get the same amount of HP gain, for less money, and a quieter sound if you go custom. $1000 is too much to pay for JUST A BRAND NAME! So...I guess my other question is, is the GReddy system really worth it if everyone says its sooo loud? I have to admit I've been excited about the prospects of getting this GReddy system but now after all this feed back, I dont know! I do like the fact that it was said that you can really feel the mod on the high end...but OH the aggravation to get the system done right!!! Holla...

Deac
Now you're thinking, Deac. Now you're thinking.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What comes in the GReddy kit?

Deac
the exhaust itself is a Evolution style exhaust.
it looks the same for any application, so if you have a magazine, find any ads for the GReddy Evo..

as far as the top end gain, i could definitely feel the top end gain at the drag strip, but i couldn't tell u exactly how much until i dyno my car.

Quick Reply: MY GOD!!! GReddy cat-back is freaking LOUD~~