5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Strange Noise during acceleration Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 AM

Strange Noise during acceleration Please help

I have a 2001 infiniti i30. So i’ve been hearing this sort of hissing/squeal noise when im driving. You can hear it when the car is parked from the outside, but when you get in the car you barely can hear it.

But the noise mostly happens when driving or accelerating. The faster I go, the higher the hissing or squeal gets.

In addition to the hiss, it sounds like a lot of air is coming in somewhere, I can also feel air sometimes at high speeds 65+.

I have new drive belts
New air-cabin filter

Anyone know whats going on???? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 PM

BUMP.

No one hears a noise when u accelerate?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That could be alot of things, my guess would be having something to do with air induction. More info would help, how many miles, auto or manual? Any kind of sulfur smell?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 PM

Feeling air at 65 + ? Was thereany work one to the car recently especially to te heat/ac?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by CaTalyst.X
That could be alot of things, my guess would be having something to do with air induction. More info would help, how many miles, auto or manual? Any kind of sulfur smell?
it just the standard i30. 2001 automatic trans with 47000 miles.
i know for a fact this didnt happen when i first got the car about 10,000 miles ago. i do smell gas sometimes...

Originally Posted by spdfreak
Feeling air at 65 + ? Was thereany work one to the car recently especially to te heat/ac?
i recently had the mirofiber cabin filter changed..i know they had to go behind the glovebox to intall that. Other than that.. im lost!

Old 04-20-2007, 06:57 PM

bump
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM

OK, so i went to the dealer and they told me that some noise is comming from the black plastic thing thats right behind or past the Engine oil bay. (you know where it has the big nissan symbol and oil cap)

Every time i step on the gas a high pitched hiss of air happens.

Another things that was causing the noise was the alternator..they said i had bad barrings or something. They said the only way to fix it would be to get a new one..

Again, has anyone heard this before??
Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM

I was going to suggest maybe a vacuum line leak, but your scenario sounds different! good luck!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Cletus

its lose belts people

Originally Posted by romefolk
But the noise mostly happens when accelerating. The faster I go, the higher the squeal gets.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:50 PM

its not the belts..i just got new belts ans they said they were fine...
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM

i say inspect your air induction system.. everything from the air filter housing to the throttle body and check to see if theres a leak there.. my alternator on my pontiac was making a noise like that and had bad bearings too, so that could very well be the cause..
but the alternator wouldn't get louder as he goes faster right? i thought the parts in there rotated at a speed seperate from the engine rpms
but i say when you're looking for causes, start cheap then work your way up the ladder as far as replacement costs.. what is that part you're talking about that's right behind the engine oil bay? the dealer didn't give you the name of that part?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
i say inspect your air induction system.. everything from the air filter housing to the throttle body and check to see if theres a leak there.. my alternator on my pontiac was making a noise like that and had bad bearings too, so that could very well be the cause..
but the alternator wouldn't get louder as he goes faster right? i thought the parts in there rotated at a speed seperate from the engine rpms
but i say when you're looking for causes, start cheap then work your way up the ladder as far as replacement costs.. what is that part you're talking about that's right behind the engine oil bay? the dealer didn't give you the name of that part?
the noise comes from that black chamber thats right behind silver peice, where the big Nissan symbol is located. See pic..not my car

But its a hissing you can even hear it when you throttle the engine from under the hood.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 PM

WOW... weird but I have the exact same thing and it is also accompanied by a great deal of power loss... been trying to figure it out for a long time now... replaced one of the vacuum hoses, TPS, cleaned TB, replaced MAF and list goes on...

That hissing noise originates from behind rear manifold and throttle body - that is one thing I know 100%.

Are you experiencing power loss or poor acceleration? Chaotic gear shifting? When gears shift with 65+ do you hear very distinct and short hissing noise somewhat like turbo? Can you hear it in idle?

After thorough inspection last night with liquid silicone I'm starting to think that my throttle body is acting up; however it is yet to be checked.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by romefolk
the noise comes from that black chamber thats right behind silver peice, where the big Nissan symbol is located. See pic..not my car

But its a hissing you can even hear it when you throttle the engine from under the hood.
ohhh.. the one with the 6 curved pipes right? thats the intake manifold.. they said you had a leak there? thats interesting.. well it's not the alternator, because if it was that then the noise would be coming from where your alternator is located, which is right around where your belts are.. which is, in this pic.. towards the front of the engine, and to the left of it
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM

IM gasket and/or vacuum leak

/thread
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM

It's gotta be vacuum leak cause I have exactly the same symptoms and I replaced knock sensor just 2 months ago along with both manifold and one plenum gaskets so that eliminates IM leak...
Old 04-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by minbel1
It's gotta be vacuum leak cause I have exactly the same symptoms and I replaced knock sensor just 2 months ago along with both manifold and one plenum gaskets so that eliminates IM leak...
how does that eliminate it? It's a pretty idiot-proof installation, but someone could have done it wrong, or messed up (bent) the gasket before installation not creating a tight enough seal...that or torqued down the bolts incorrectly. How long has this noise been going on? Around 2 months maybe?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 PM

Job's been done by a professional Nissan tech who owns a performance shop specializing in Nissans... and noise is there for good 6-7 months, funny man...
Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by minbel1
WOW... weird but I have the exact same thing and it is also accompanied by a great deal of power loss... been trying to figure it out for a long time now... replaced one of the vacuum hoses, TPS, cleaned TB, replaced MAF and list goes on...

That hissing noise originates from behind rear manifold and throttle body - that is one thing I know 100%.

Are you experiencing power loss or poor acceleration? Chaotic gear shifting? When gears shift with 65+ do you hear very distinct and short hissing noise somewhat like turbo? Can you hear it in idle?

After thorough inspection last night with liquid silicone I'm starting to think that my throttle body is acting up; however it is yet to be checked.

yeah you can hear it when you first turn the car on at idle(park). Its louder when it is cold outside. if you are on the highway doing 65+ is a constant hiss and its really annoying.

im going to take the car to another dealer to see what they might say, because the nissan dealer in Woodfield told me it was nothing i can do about it, but i know something is broke because the car didnt always make the stupid sound.

I might have power loss, but its been happening for so long..ive gotten use to the acceleration, but the noise just bothers me.