5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help with oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Help with oil leak

Has this happened to anybody? I decided to replace the spark plugs on my 2002 and discovered an oil leak in one of the holes where the coil boot attaches the spark plug. It looks as if there is an o-ring around the small tube that connects to the valve cover but I am not sure b/c the oil does not allow me to see with certainty. I remember reading something about it but can't remember. Sorry if this question has been covered before.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Cletus

cracked valve covers...there are threads talking about the problem (so it does happen)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
cracked valve covers...there are threads talking about the problem (so it does happen)
Is it possible to replace the oil seal only or do I have to replace the valve cover? This engine was not using any oil at all. Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Willing to learn

Yes, you can replace just the spark plug tube seals in your valve cover. It has to be removed from the engine. When you remove the cover the seals can then be removed and replaced. It would be a good idea though to check the cover for cracks around these holes.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Yes, you can replace just the spark plug tube seals in your valve cover. It has to be removed from the engine. When you remove the cover the seals can then be removed and replaced. It would be a good idea though to check the cover for cracks around these holes.
OK guys, I have an update on the leaking rocker cover. I went to the Nissan stealer this morning and bought a new rear cover complete with a new PCV valve (it comes installed already). The stealer has no problem stocking a bunch of them b/c they know about the problem according to the parts guy. He told me that the #1 reason why the oil seals around the spark plug tubes fail (my cover was not cracked) is b/c the PCV valve gets clogged up with sludge and the pressure has to find the easiest way to get released hence the oil seals. That's why the new rear cover comes with a new PCV. I thought about only replacing the oil seals but the guy told me that the parts catalog does not show the seals for the VQ 35's, only for the 2000 and 2001 3.0 V6. He couldn't tell me if those seals fit the VQ 35. It takes a lot of work to disassemble and move out of the way all the parts on top of the rear cover just to gain access to it. He also told me that the new covers have an updated part number. The coil's rubber boot was full of oil but I cleaned it up the best I could so in case that I need to replace it, I swapped it for one of the coils in the front since it's the same part number. I couldn't finish today so tomorrow I'll have another update.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Willing to learn

Great info, thanks for updating us on the current status of this issue. Lots more people are going to experiencing this problem in the near future. This will help others when they decide what parts to replace.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by realtor
OK guys, I have an update on the leaking rocker cover. I went to the Nissan stealer this morning and bought a new rear cover complete with a new PCV valve (it comes installed already). The stealer has no problem stocking a bunch of them b/c they know about the problem according to the parts guy. He told me that the #1 reason why the oil seals around the spark plug tubes fail (my cover was not cracked) is b/c the PCV valve gets clogged up with sludge and the pressure has to find the easiest way to get released hence the oil seals. That's why the new rear cover comes with a new PCV. I thought about only replacing the oil seals but the guy told me that the parts catalog does not show the seals for the VQ 35's, only for the 2000 and 2001 3.0 V6. He couldn't tell me if those seals fit the VQ 35. It takes a lot of work to disassemble and move out of the way all the parts on top of the rear cover just to gain access to it. He also told me that the new covers have an updated part number. The coil's rubber boot was full of oil but I cleaned it up the best I could so in case that I need to replace it, I swapped it for one of the coils in the front since it's the same part number. I couldn't finish today so tomorrow I'll have another update.
I have the final update and verdict. Everything is back together and the engine is running very good. The coil full of oil was taken apart (the boot part of the coil) and was cleaned up. One more thing I didn't mention before is that I decided to use NGK PLFR6A-11 plugs instead of the standard PLFR5A-11 b/c they are one step colder and I read from another member on the org that did the same thing that the knock and ping was gone. My engine was knocking and pinging like crazy with the factory plugs no matter what brand of gas I used. I always use 93 octane. Well, the knocking and pinging are gone. Good luck to those of you brave enough to do this kind of job.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Great info, thanks for updating us on the current status of this issue. Lots more people are going to experiencing this problem in the near future. This will help others when they decide what parts to replace.
You're welcome.