5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Interior buzzing at certain RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Interior buzzing at certain RPM

I have an interior buzzing noise at about 2000 rpm. The sound is coming from the drivers side dash area. To me it sounds like a thin piece of metal vibrating. For the life of me I can't find where its coming from. Anybody else have this rattle?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same issue as did alot of others but we found the noise to be comeing from under the car by the catalytic sheild. It rattles when u push the gas under 2000 rpm but once you go above it the noise stops. I had the issue for a while now but actually got it fixed today. It needs to get welded. If you go to an auto shop and have them put it on the lift they will be able to tell you what is loose and where exact the noise is coming from and what needs to be done. Hope this helps. like I said got mines fixed today and mines sounds beautiful again that noise was driving me crazy!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by CharismaticNYC
I had the same issue as did alot of others but we found the noise to be comeing from under the car by the catalytic sheild. It rattles when u push the gas under 2000 rpm but once you go above it the noise stops. I had the issue for a while now but actually got it fixed today. It needs to get welded. If you go to an auto shop and have them put it on the lift they will be able to tell you what is loose and where exact the noise is coming from and what needs to be done. Hope this helps. like I said got mines fixed today and mines sounds beautiful again that noise was driving me crazy!!

Thanks for the reply. The noise that I have is definately an interior rattle. Its not very loud but its just annoying.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my struts seem to be going and since the car is lowered in ny theres so many little bumps I noticed that when my car is slightly bouncing i get a similar buzzing at low rpms. I hope its the same issue because i didnt want it to be anything big.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by asta4
Thanks for the reply. The noise that I have is definately an interior rattle. Its not very loud but its just annoying.

Hmmm... can you confirm where the noise is coming from?

I do have an annoying buzzing/rattling coming from the steering collumn letf hand, as if it came from inside the freaking signal controllers (forgot the right term).

It does goes away at certain RPMs... and it does not happen all the time. Actually it hasnt happend lately (thank God) but it does happen everynow and then... it it annoys the hell out of me.. because everytime it happens I keep on trying to figure out where the buzz is coming from... it I tracked it down to the steering colummn or signal controller.

I hate it! I never posted about it because it goes away... but it does sound a LOT like a electric relay stuck or similar to that.

I know... I am hearing things!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bborges
Hmmm... can you confirm where the noise is coming from?

I do have an annoying buzzing/rattling coming from the steering collumn letf hand, as if it came from inside the freaking signal controllers (forgot the right term).

It does goes away at certain RPMs... and it does not happen all the time. Actually it hasnt happend lately (thank God) but it does happen everynow and then... it it annoys the hell out of me.. because everytime it happens I keep on trying to figure out where the buzz is coming from... it I tracked it down to the steering colummn or signal controller.

I hate it! I never posted about it because it goes away... but it does sound a LOT like a electric relay stuck or similar to that.

I know... I am hearing things!!!

I'm having a hard time pin pointing exactly where the noise is coming from. I can't tell if its coming from the A pillar or in the dash to the left of the gauge cluster.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine sounds like its coming from in the dash.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by CharismaticNYC
Definately not having that problem with my max...i bought my 01 6 months ago, put it on a hoist and could pretty much crush the shield with my hand into dust. These canadian winters rusted it right through i guess(rest of car is in good shape though)