5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally did the GAB mod!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
couple of more questions..anyone attempt to do both GAB (the cut off lip version) and this intake mod (click here)
I never saw that link before. Seems like it would work as long as you lived in a dry (vry dry) state.

This is what I did this fall...

Cut off the bottom

Added a screen to block large particles from being sucked into the airbox

Installed

Low enough to get some cooler air from under the front of car, high enough to avoid deep puddles and hydro lock.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
I never saw that link before. Seems like it would work as long as you lived in a dry (vry dry) state.

This is what I did this fall...

Added a screen to block large particles from being sucked into the airbox

Low enough to get some cooler air from under the front of car, high enough to avoid deep puddles and hydro lock.
That seems like it will work. DO you get any gains? Where did you get that screen? Although i still want to run some piping, the thing i was talking about was this Ebay Bypass Module (Click Here) Its used to keep water from entering.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 PM

Nismopc, wouldn't there be a loss of hp or even air since air is going thru the front and possibly exiting thru the bottom port (and not making it to the air box location) where you have installed the screen? Or maybe not? Just curious!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
Nismopc, wouldn't there be a loss of hp or even air since air is going thru the front and possibly exiting thru the bottom port (and not making it to the air box location) where you have installed the screen? Or maybe not? Just curious!
I was thinking the same thing...anyone ever try cutting off that elbow and the sealing it? will it do anything? concentrate the air more possibly?

One thing on my mind is, WILL I BE BURNING GAS?!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 PM

I definitely feel you Panda!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'll try that since I have an extra airbox, so hacking it isn't a problem. Also, I'll see if it changes any of my readings
Old 02-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
Can't imagine it's any different than the GAB.

Think about it. There is air being forced into the intake thru the front snorkel. By cutting the top of the air box open, the forced air should (logically) be forced out of that cutout, not into the air filter.

But, based on everyones experience, that is not the case.

I guess I could block the intake snorkel and see if I feel a difference. Can't hurt. Now you've got me thinking. I am gonna block off the snorkel. It seems that the portion I opened up on the bottom would potentially suck in more air than the snorkel due to placement and size of open.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Where did you get that screen?
It's the remains of an old MAF housing. I cut off the end with the screen.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 PM

Think about it. There is air being forced into the intake thru the front snorkel. By cutting the top of the air box open, the forced air should (logically) be forced out of that cutout, not into the air filter.

I guess I could block the intake snorkel and see if I feel a difference. Can't hurt.
try it and let us KNOW!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Unless you have real hard data, all is until proven.

BTW, that screen is off a MAF housing as can be seen by the bolt hole pattern.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 AM

I guess I could block the intake snorkel and see if I feel a difference. Can't hurt. Now you've got me thinking. I am gonna block off the snorkel. It seems that the portion I opened up on the bottom would potentially suck in more air than the snorkel due to placement and size of open.
I was just curious because it seems with the GAB the air would not be lost as much as the port on the bottom cut out. The air by the air box (GAB) in my opinion would have a better chance of being sucked thru because it is closer to the MAF rather than the air possibly escaping at the port location. If you notice the snorkel collects air evenly at first at then angles downward, which in my opinon if that port is open I would imagine the air wold just continue going down exiting the port where your MAF screen is rather than making it to the air box to be sucked in by the MAF. I'm pretty sure the MAF does not have enough vacuum power to suck air in from the snorkel portion (beginning of intake) let alone the bottom of that port, but rather all the MAF vacuum power would be in the airbox. Point being that the vehicle of course has to be moving to force air in thru the snorkel and on its way to the air box! Yes I understand that you may have mentioned the air may escape at the top part of the air box with the top being cut off but I would think at that point you can pretty much feel the MAF doing it's job to suck that air in from there. It just seems to me that the air at the top of the air box may have a better shot at getting forced thru the MAF rather than the port at the bottom. I may be wrong though, but it just seems that there would be too many air leaks before the air reaches air box.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM

UPDATE: I decided the easiest way to test if cutting the bottom of the 3" snorkel baffle off was a good idea or not was to just remove the entire snorkel all together and drive the car w/o it.

RECAP: I've been getting extremely sh!tty gas mileage lately. I've been averaging around 18-19MPG on the highway and car is sluggish taking off until WOT at higher RPM. At high RPM's it feels like it's being held back ever so slightly. So...

...I removed the entire snorkel piece and have been driving with nothing except the direct opening into the air box for the past 3 days. I've made several 60+ mile trips in this time period (6 to be exact). My car drives extremely smooth and acceleration is clean through out the entire power band. And as of today, I noticed my mpg went back up to approx. 24-26mpg which was what I was originally getting before I did this "ghetto fab" mod.

The car drives more like it did when I first purchased it approx. 30k miles ago. Puts a smile on my face.

So, note to self: Don't mess with a good thing and DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR INTAKE SNORKEL...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:30 PM

By the way, with the snorkel removed, I am currently running what I will assume would be considered a OEM WAI. Since I am using stock unmodified air box and no snorkel, the air coming in is from the engine bay, so...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:33 PM

By the way, with the snorkel removed, I am currently running what I will assume would be considered a OEM WAI. Since I am using stock unmodified air box and no snorkel, the air coming in is from the engine bay, so...
did you end up plugging the bottom up to see if anything changed?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:29 AM

did you end up plugging the bottom up to see if anything changed?
No - to be honest, I don't feel like dealing with it anymore.

If anything, I will make a direct cold air piping for the airbox and just leave the snorkel out completely. But for now, I am just going to run w/o snorkel and let the air flow directly into the airbox as is.