5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 AT Shift Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2002 AT Shift Problem

Hey guys (and girls)

I have searched and searched the forums trying to find an answer for this... and have read through a lot. But I still haven't found anything I can use, nothing concrete.

I have a 2002 automatic, and it kicks when shifting into 2nd, but only when in a certain RPM range (like 2600-3100). So it's not all the time, or I would figure its a tranny problem. If I go slow, it shifts like a charm. If I take off strong, it shifts good. If I take of normal, it kicks into 2nd.

It's weird, and I really really want to fix it, as it's driving me nutts.

Some things I've read:

- Something about a mod that makes it shift quicker.
- The TCM? (not sure if I should try it)
- The ECM (did reset, no diff)
- Possible TSB? (no warranty, can I still get a repair?)

I don't have any SES lights on. I took it to autozone and he hooked it up and found no error.

Yet I've still not found anything I can try to fix it. I did reset the ECM lastnight for the first time, and I don't see/feel any difference.

I would greatly appreciate any info! Please...

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM

Maybe try some synthetic tranny fluid?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:08 PM

Did you have a similar problem where doing that helped?

Which brand/type?

Thanks for the info
Old 02-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had the sam exact problem, even same rpm range. Mine progressivley got worse and would not even shift out of first. Wound up having to get the tranny replaced. The dealer said something along the lines of metal shavings that got into the tranny and chewed things up. good luck though
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM

It kicks because it's a powerful engine and you are hitting the gas harder than you are coming off the clutch a lil quick.......not much needed here just ease off the clutch a bit slower towards the top right before you let all the way off........
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

Peabo500 how is he going to easy off the clutch if he is drving an automatic?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 PM

At this point, I wish I had a clutch. Been driving stick since 16. This is my first automatic... and really, I wish it had autostick, that would be sweet.

Anyhow, I really hope its not going to be a tranny replacement. I will kill someone (jk)... I personally don't think it's a mechanical problem. I think it has something to do with either the ECU or something electrical... sensor... chip... etc...

Maybe I need to get the ECU updated...? I don't know if it's ever been updated. I got the car 12/12/06. The mileage was at 18mpg. I think the dude that had it before me drove it hard and maybe never got the ECU updated, after installing the injen intake.

I talked to a tech guy at nissan and he said it could be the MAF, the ECU outdated, or a number of other things. Suggesting to go pay 90 for diagnostic and 90 for reprogramming.

I hate to spend unnecessary money, that's why I'd like to trouble shoot this first.

Thanks again for your info everyone... more is welcome
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM

i have the same problem going from 2nd to 3rd. i just got it checked out at the dealer and they told me that it's not bad enough yet to get a new tranny so i should drive it around until it gets worse and then bring it in for a new tranny. I have extended warranty so it is covered... so i'm just praying that it will go bad soon before the warranty expires.

Edit: they decided to go do the TSB which replaces the solonoid valve because my warranty covers it. but they still tell me my tranny will probabaly go bad in time and I will need a new one. so once again i'm praying that it will go bad soon before the warranty expires.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:35 AM

i have the same problem. i think that the previous owner drove it like a manual. how? if you take off hard and at the point where the car is just about to shift to second, you let go the gas paddle and re-apply again, it's gonna shift hard like M/T, my buddy he had a grand prix, he did it, and f**ked up the tranny...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Well, it sure is a possibility that its the tranny going bad. And it could be the guy drove it like a maniac. Maybe used 1,2,3 as manual. Anyhow... all I can do is try and troubleshoot whatever I can, then take it to a tranny place to see what they say.

I'm just hoping to get some friendly advice, tips and/or ideas on what to look for when troubleshooting the problem. I just want to be prepared if anything. Thanks again
Old 02-04-2007, 08:21 PM

I have a manual and had several problems with my 3rd gear. Since my warrenty is over I was $hit-n bricks thinking my tranny is going out. Changed the transmission oil using redline mt-90 so far the problem is solved. You might wanna try that since it's cheaper changing the fluid then it is the transmission. Good luck
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM

Yea, for sure. I will do that first. Thanks... hope it works for me too. Before I bought it, I had nissan do a 100 point on it and the tech said it was pretty new tranny fluid.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I have the exact same problem with my tranny.....900 miles left on the powertrain warranty. It really pisses me off and dealers all say that nothing is wrong. People always say that foreign cars are better, yet with my previous vehicle (a 94 jeep grand cherokee limited), it had twice the miles and was twice and age and NEVER had a problem with the engine/transmission/transfer case and I drove that thing like it was a rental.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 AM

Thats what my mechanic said when I asked for him to check out my tranny. I'm just guessing the transmission oil that nissan use's is cheap, just like there paint job. Well incase your wondering, cost for the Red Line Mt-90...it's about 7 bucks a quart. Mine took a little less then 3 quarts but since your auto you might need to research the amount your car needs in the oil and lubricant forum. I couldn't find any of the oil locally so I bought mine online from ebay. Good luck with everything.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Anyone know of a A/T fluid flush write-up?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by cpuguy06
Anyone know of a A/T fluid flush write-up?
That would be cool.

I just called another dealer and the guy was cool, he suggested to just pay 100 for 1 hour of service, and have them diagnose the car and then reprogram if needed. Plus check for any applicable TSB issues. He said that 100 should cover the diagnostic and reprogram. That's cool. The other dealer wanted 90 for diagnostic and 90 for reprogram.

He mentioned it could be some kind of speed sensor... didn't catch it exactly.

Tell you what... I LOVE the maxima, but damn... too much sensors and electrical stuff involved. Makes it really sensitive.

I'm gonna go and get new spark plugs and the tranny fluid today and do those. See what that does.

Thanks again guys for the info
Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Ok... got an update!

I took the car to nissan to do a diognostic to see if they come up with any issues, and everything came back fine. I didn't even get charged the $113 for the diagnostic What he did tell me is that my motor mounts were f'd up.

Anyhow, I asked well what about the kick to 2nd gear??? I mentioned that you cool dudes recommended a flush. He concured that it could help.

So I called aamco to setup a flush job (108 + tax), and I asked if I could bring my own fluid since you guys recommended synthetic as a possible fix for the kick in the shift. He said to bring it in and let him check it out before I spent any money, I was like werd, and got there in 20 min.

He asked to drive it and I went with him. He pulled out on to the street and started going. It shifted in to 2nd and there was the Kick. Immediately, he slowed down and got in the turn lane to turn around. I was like sooooo....?????? He smiled and said, change your motor mount! I was like WhhAAt!? Ya, your tranny is fine, its the motor mounts.

He explained that at the time of the drive train is going to shift, there is power and torque that makes the engine move, and if the motor mount is bad it will hit and cause that kick effect. I was like sweet... and he explained that those certain rpm ranges that it kicks in, are the only times I will feel that, which is true...

So we got back and he popped the hood and said watch.... He put it in D and held the brake, gave it some gas and vioala... theres the problem... motor was moving a lot and I could clearly see the main "torque mount" in the front behind the radiator was pretty much done, and the passenger side mount was cracked.

So, I wanted to come post this here for anyone else with the "kicks when shifting problem." Check your motor mounts!

I went to the nissan parts and met this cool dude there who sold me both of those mounts at wholesale for a total of $305.04 out the door. Saved 90 bones!

I will try to finish both mounts today or tomorrow and post back up the results.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:45 PM

how many miles on ur car?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kudos to the aamco tech.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 PM

78K Now. I got it almost 3 months ago with 74K.

I managed to change those two mounts today. Wasn't as hard as I thought it could be (like the altima ), and I even changed the belts... I was eager to try it out after it was all done.

So I did, and at first, I thought the problem was fixed. But after just a couple more normal driver take-offs, I still feel the kick. So I'm kinda bummed about that.

I won't jump to conclusions, cuz the guy at aamco said to replace all of the mounts to have a good balance in support. But, the guy at nissan said to first try the main two that typically go out faster.

So I may end up getting these last two mounts in the next week or two, and if it still kicks with all new mounts.... I'm gonna have to make dude at aamco flush my sh*t free...

And I still need new springs...

Let y'all know...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 AM

I was doing some searching around for the thread where the guy showed pics of his 02 transmission removal and re-install and stumbled across this thread. @swiftmaxaz - Did your ever get your problem fixed?