5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Beyond the BIG 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Beyond the BIG 3

I've read metal maxima's and irish threads on the big 3, but have questions on some additional grounding points. I would like to ground my alternator and starter, where is the negative/positive terminals on those(pics if possible)? Also what is the recommended fuse for the + alternator to + battery terminal? Thanks to anyones help.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM
大陆弟弟

The alternator is grounded in Metal's guide, and the starter ground point can be seen in the Pictures section under absoundlab (spl). The fuse you need is what max amp the wire can handle, like 0 gauge = 300A. The positive terminal is the red post on your battery, and the un-covered one on the right is negative.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I bought 4 guage wire, I was told by the place I bought the wires, that the fuse should be based off the power of the alternator. I saw in Metal's thread some people basically said he was using a fuse that was too big for the purpose. Are you talking about the 5th gen pictures thread or the general picture thread?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:28 AM

it's pretty useless to run a fuse through the alternator to the battery
what the shop said is kind of right, because it's useless to run a larger fuse, but metal max is just doing that to protect his wires.
running a fuse is just useless from alternator to battery..
it charges your battery, and the thickness of the wire wouldn't burn out because the capacity of the alternator is probably only 150amps or so
waste of time and money IMO
also, if it suddenly had a short and jumped over the current rating for the fuse, then you'd be pretty f*cked, cuz you just killed the line from your alternator to your battery
again, USELESS

grounding your alternator is also useless, because you would only be grounding the coiled wires in the stator. it uses magnetic induction to produce a charge and send the power to your battery
actually, i'm not even sure if there's a loose ground wire for your alternator, cuz it'd be pretty useless

as for the starter, i just changed mine, but don't recollect where it is!
but you should worry about the power to the starter, because once the starter starts turning, it will cause it's own resistance, causing a higher draw in current, from the + side of course. so who cares about the ground...

you must have a lot of time on your hands
Old 12-15-2006, 05:27 AM

I'm in the process of installing new audio: headunit, speakers, sub, 2 amps along with a Optima redtop battery. I saw that this was recommended in the audio/electronics forum. I know you don't suggest a fuse, but what fuse would anyone else suggest? I work during the week like most people, I do my car mods on the weekends.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 AM
大陆弟弟

A typical fuse used is ANL style, and whatever AMP your wire holds.