5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Windshield washer nozzles that "fan" instead of "stream"

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:24 PM

Windshield washer nozzles that "fan" instead of "stream"

I've done a search and found nothing on the subject.

One thing I really don't like about my I30 is the way the windshield washers work. The nozzles each shoot 2 streams of water at the lower-middle part of the windshield, which is not ideal to clean the windshield (not quickly at least).

I just got rid of a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo which also had the same type of washer nozzles (where they are mounted to the hood). The Rodeo's worked awesome, because they sprayed in a "fan" pattern all over the windshield.

Unfortunately, the Rodeo's nozzles were a totally different shape and they were kinda tall and funky looking. I'm looking for some other type of OEM nozzles to retrofit to my I30 so I can have a better spray pattern.

Has anyone done a mod like this yet? Or, is anyone aware of any Nissan/Infiniti hood-mounted washer nozzles that spray in a "fan" pattern and look similar to our stock ones?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Z

Murano nozzles. A number of people have done it.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:39 PM

yup, Murano one.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^ yep, I got those about a year and a half ago...
Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 PM

I couldn't find a single thread dealing with this. Hmmm.

It's funny though, I was checking out different cars in the grocery store parking lot today and I looked at a Murano. The one I saw didn't have the nozzles on the hood.

Is there a DIY thread on this or can one of you share some insight? I'd like to see a couple closeup pics and get a little info as to what I need to buy to make this work. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Z

The nozzles I believe are right on the car's wipers if it isn't on the hood. It is on the FX35, anyways...
Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bump...very interested in doing this as well
Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
Bump...very interested in doing this as well
what was the point of bumping this if the question was already answered?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GarageToys

It's funny though, I was checking out different cars in the grocery store parking lot today and I looked at a Murano. The one I saw didn't have the nozzles on the hood.

Is there a DIY thread on this or can one of you share some insight? I'd like to see a couple closeup pics and get a little info as to what I need to buy to make this work. Thanks.
This looked unanswered to me...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:48 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

This looked unanswered to me...
Thats funny it looks answered to me...

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Murano nozzles. A number of people have done it.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 AM

...can one of you share some insight? I'd like to see a couple closeup pics and get a little info as to what I need to buy to make this work. Thanks.

If you use nozzles that mount on the windshield wipers, how do they attach? Are the ones on the hood useless then? What is involved in making the Murano ones work?

Still unanswered to me.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:15 AM

The only thing that you have to do to the murano washers is shave a bit off of one of the sides where it goes into the hood. When you get them, you'll see what I mean. Otherwise they are simply plug and play. You do have to remove the lining underneath the hood (held on with several pop tabs) to get to the hose underneath, but it's no trouble at all..
Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
The only thing that you have to do to the murano washers is shave a bit off of one of the sides where it goes into the hood. When you get them, you'll see what I mean. Otherwise they are simply plug and play. You do have to remove the lining underneath the hood (held on with several pop tabs) to get to the hose underneath, but it's no trouble at all..
Any chance that you can take a pic of what it looks like? I dont mean to give you extra work but I was wondering how the install looks after doing it.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:53 AM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....46#post5114946
Old 11-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
what was the point of bumping this if the question was already answered?
Increasing his post count?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:52 AM

What is with you guys...I don't care what my posting status is. I'm not trying to get to the top of the .org heirarchy. I bumped b/c I wanted this to stay in the recent post section and I was interested in seeing pictures or a how-to or even just some more information just as GarageToys did. Those questions weren't and still aren't answered, but keep the smart a$$ posts comin so you guys can feel better about your social status on the .org.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

If you use nozzles that mount on the windshield wipers, how do they attach? Are the ones on the hood useless then? What is involved in making the Murano ones work?

Still unanswered to me.
Looks like it was answered back in July.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=14
Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

What is with you guys...I don't care what my posting status is. I'm not trying to get to the top of the .org heirarchy. I bumped b/c I wanted this to stay in the recent post section and I was interested in seeing pictures or a how-to or even just some more information just as GarageToys did. Those questions weren't and still aren't answered, but keep the smart a$$ posts comin so you guys can feel better about your social status on the .org.
Here is an idea... SEARCH!!!!! You paid for the ability to search so use it.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Luvs his Max

Ok...jeeez. Relaaax. Maybe, sometimes the search feature isn't all that fantastic or the words we're searching for are pretty generic? Regardless, if and when I find a post about a subject i'm interested in i'll read it, and if there seems to be some unanswered questions in the thread, i'm gunna bump it up...why would i continue on my quest if the thread i'm looking already exists... that's what you want isn't it?

And here we still are, even after all this searching, and linking to other threads, there's still no write-up. Ok, so it may be an easy mod to some, but i like to get all the facts before i do a mod, so..if anyone HAS done this mod and can offer up some pics of their little easy project, PLEASE post them. Otherwise, yet another .org member will have to venture into the land of the unknown and may be left with a half *** mod that doesn't really look or work that great....

We've searched, we've read, we've researched. Yes, i paid for that feature and i'll use it 90% of the time to my wits end before making a post..... but if i can't find it or similar post doesn't offer an applicable or complete resolution, i'm starting another damn post...you know why? I earned that right too.

So if you don't have the answer.... don't post.

In the meantime, please relax and maybe help a brutha out in trying to find some more conclusive info and/or pics of this mod so we can make an educated decision on whether or not we even want to do it.

THANK YOU!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:11 PM

nicely put!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Narrator
Ok...jeeez. Relaaax. Maybe, sometimes the search feature isn't all that fantastic or the words we're searching for are pretty generic? Regardless, if and when I find a post about a subject i'm interested in i'll read it, and if there seems to be some unanswered questions in the thread, i'm gunna bump it up...why would i continue on my quest if the thread i'm looking already exists... that's what you want isn't it?

And here we still are, even after all this searching, and linking to other threads, there's still no write-up. Ok, so it may be an easy mod to some, but i like to get all the facts before i do a mod, so..if anyone HAS done this mod and can offer up some pics of their little easy project, PLEASE post them. Otherwise, yet another .org member will have to venture into the land of the unknown and may be left with a half *** mod that doesn't really look or work that great....

We've searched, we've read, we've researched. Yes, i paid for that feature and i'll use it 90% of the time to my wits end before making a post..... but if i can't find it or similar post doesn't offer an applicable or complete resolution, i'm starting another damn post...you know why? I earned that right too.

So if you don't have the answer.... don't post.

In the meantime, please relax and maybe help a brutha out in trying to find some more conclusive info and/or pics of this mod so we can make an educated decision on whether or not we even want to do it.

THANK YOU!
I can't realy help in this thread since I don't know about this mod, and I wasn't going to post but I just wanted to back up Narrator's statement! I completely agree to what he said, I back it up!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:37 PM

I didn't really get all the answers I wanted from this thread (or the other one), so I PM'd one of the members who did the mod and he gave me the answers I was looking for.

I think the thing that confused me is that the Murano nozzles aren't on the hood of the Murano. Actually, I still don't know where they mount, but it is of no consequence. The Murano nozzles mount to the hood of our cars with little modification.

I ordered the Murano nozzles last week and got them installed this Saturday. I put together a CarDomain page for my I30 and I did a whole page (with pics) on converting to Murano "fan pattern" washer nozzles. Here's the link:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2508996/3

It was really simple, so I understand why people who have done the mod wondered why I wasn't getting it. Once you see the pictures, it's totally clear.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 PM
2-Wheelin it...

great write up
Old 11-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Luvs his Max

And there you have it folks! An ANSWER! YAY!!!

Thanks Garage Toys... Now that i know what i'm getting into, i think i'll be hookin myself up w/ some Murano Nozzies..

Couple questions though,

1. Does the spray angle work for our windshields? Meaning, does it spray too high, too low, too wide, etc? I just dont want to give my car a car wash everytime i use the window pissers ya know? Only reason i'm askin is because if the nozzles don't mount on the hood of the Murano then they must be below where the hood meets the windshield..and i would think that would be a much tighter angle, making the spray angle far too low on a Maxima....it does look like they're OK in the pics though...again..nice work on the write up.

2. What year Murano were those nozzles for? Or are they all the same? (I guess we should post this now since they're probably coming out with the next Gen any year now and this post could be here for a while...you know...since it actually has the answer

I'm thinking we should post the pics in the thread rather than have them hosted on CD. Nothing's worse than finding the answer you're looking for and having the link be bad

Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:56 AM

...1. Does the spray angle work for our windshields? Meaning, does it spray too high, too low, too wide, etc?...

2. What year Murano were those nozzles for? Or are they all the same?...

I'm thinking we should post the pics in the thread rather than have them hosted on CD. Nothing's worse than finding the answer you're looking for and having the link be bad...
1. It is a lot better than stock, IMO. My stock nozzles shot the water about 6-8" from the bottom of the windshield. These shoot at about 3" over the top of the steering wheel. This is while the car isn't moving. I'm sure while driving, the wind will direct the spray a little lower, which will be about perfect. I waxed my car right after the install and I didn't want to spray them and get the car dirty so I haven't tried them while moving yet.

2. I think they're all the same. The part number I ordered can be seen in the pic of the nozzles still in the package.

I'm not a donating member yet (my PayPal account is empty right now), so I don't believe I can post pics directly. I don't see an "attach image" button. I'd be glad to email the originals to you so you can attach them if you PM me your email address.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Luvs his Max

Murano Nozzle Part #: 28930-CA000 - $12/ea

Cool man, I can actually just grab the pics from your CarDomain page and repost the write-up w/ Pics here.

Thanks again for a great write-up. Can't wait to get some Nozzles in..especially since the winter is coming..nothing's worse than spray nozzles on an icy windshield!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM
the org...not what it was

Wanted to come in and tip my hat for the n00bs who faithfully pursued the answer to their question and took it apon themselves to discover it even though they were kind of shot down. Nice mod btw
Old 11-20-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by alicious
Wanted to come in and tip my hat for the n00bs who faithfully pursued the answer to their question and took it apon themselves to discover it even though they were kind of shot down. Nice mod btw

n00bs unite!!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 PM

y0 diz 0ne ups my p0st c0unt! sc0re!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Cletus

why are some people so needy about freaking write-ups? i can see if its something thats hard to do. but replacing the winshiled washer nozzles?? come on people.
you know that you need the murano ones (some people still want to argue that even though people have them).
so
a. buy them and figure it out
b. continue to bump and finished thread begging for a write-up
Old 11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by alicious
they got their answer in the first response...they united to be spoon-fed how to install something so simple and easy.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Cletus

It was really simple, so I understand why people who have done the mod wondered why I wasn't getting it. Once you see the pictures, it's totally clear.

sometimes, you just need to get your hands on it and do it (especially if you know it can be done)
Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Pointy Elbows

Nice job man.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
they got their answer in the first response...they united to be spoon-fed how to install something so simple and easy.
Wow soonerfan, I hope some of your other 8000 posts were more helpful than any of the ones in this thread.

Here's the deal: If the Murano had washer nozzles on the hood, it would be pretty apparent how to swap them. Since they are mounted elsewhere & I'd never seen them (and no one was answering my questions- beyond saying "you need the Murano ones"), I wanted to make sure they were the same style. If you read back to my earlier posts in this thread, I asked if they were on the windshield wiper arms themselves and if so, do they mount on our cars on the hood or on the wiper arms (I never got a response).

So, I bought a set and figured it out. Now my spoon-feeding will help a bunch of other people who are considering this mod. Your whining helps... well, no one. Thank you to the guys who appreciated my write-up.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:19 AM

I completed this mod a few days ago and I have to say I am pleased with the results.

These nozzles definitely spray higher on the windshield. When the car is not moving, the spray might be a little higher than ideal, but with a little wind resistance to knock it down it is just about perfect.

Somewhere I read that you need to remove the lining under the hood to get at the nozzle. This is not true (at least for my 2K2). There are holes that can be used to access the nozzles and then all you need is a pair of needle-nose pliers to squeeze the tabs to get them out.

You'll DEFINITELY need to dremel off one of the tabs on each nozzle to get it through the holes in the hood - this was mentioned. Also, when I pulled the hose off the existing nozzles, I had to pull it HARD. I actually thought I might break the hose but it seems to be pretty tough.

There are two perhaps slight "drawbacks" that I have noticed with this change. The first is that I don't think these nozzles are quite as secure in the hood as stock......they do move around a little more.

The second one I have noticed is rather intriguing. With these new nozzles, whatever mechanism that automatically "triggers" the windshield wipers to come on when you spray the washer fluid doesn't always work anymore for me. If I just "blip" the spray, the wipers will not come on whereas they did with the stock nozzles.

Does anybody know what triggers the wipers to come on when you spray your window?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Mass_Media™

Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM

BigFly_2K2SE: I figured out that if you only blip the washers for a half-second and let go (at low speeds) it sprays just at the right spot. At highway speeds, I use them as normal.

I didn't need to remove the lining under the hood to get at the nozzles either.

To make the nozzles secure (and keep water from getting under them and possibly causing rust), I put a little weatherstrip adhesive on the bottom of each one before I installed it.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:30 PM

Murano Nozzle Part #: 28930-CA000 - $12/ea

Cool man, I can actually just grab the pics from your CarDomain page and repost the write-up w/ Pics here.

Thanks again for a great write-up. Can't wait to get some Nozzles in..especially since the winter is coming..nothing's worse than spray nozzles on an icy windshield!
haha.. i remember when i went to the dealer 10 months ago or something and asked for wash nozzles for the max cuz mine wasn't working too well; well if i remembered correctly, they wanted to charge me 30 each or something around there.. i was shocked and left..
then i went to a local junk yard, found some old sentras, and removed their nozzles, and installed it on the max; fit perfectly