5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Boss Chen coilovers review

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Boss Chen coilovers review

Well, I’ve been riding on them for about 3 months. During those 3 months I drove the car in NYC, took it to 2 autocross events and 2 long distance road trips with 4 people in the car.

Pros:

- Night and day handling difference. (I had stock SE suspension with RSB before)

- Tolerable ride when set for maximum handling, and near stock ride when set for a better ride.

- Solid external design. (All locking collars are very strong and reliable)

Cons:

- Not ideal shock valving (from performance standpoint)

- ABS line can not be secured without electric tape or zip-ties.

Now details:

Handling:

During normal driving the car feels nice and sporty. Body roll is reduced to minimum and steering feels very responsive. At high speed the car feels stable and predictable, however, sometimes you do notice that the shocks are not valved solely for performance. (will be discussed later)

At the limit handling – the car feels much more predictable and easier to control. Before I felt confident driving the car at it’s absolute limit only under 50 mph. Now it’s about 80 -90 mph.

Understeer/oversteer balance – with equal front/rear tire pressure the car understeers when going through low speed corners. At medium and high speed corners the car might slowly start oversteering in the mid-corner.

When I set my front pressure to 43 and rear to 48 the car oversteered at medium and high speed corners and understeered at low speed corners. However, with this setup I could make the car oversteer in virtually every corner by combining trail braking with faint.

Ride quality:

At optimal between ride quality and handling setting the car feels noticeably firmer than stock, however it is still tolerable and none of my passengers seemed to complain about the ride quality. In case you absolutely have to make the ride soft (ex. There’s a baby in the car) it CAN be done by setting the shocks to their softest setting. In this case the car will ride almost like stock but it will feel quite floaty and sometimes bouncy at this setting.

Shock valving:

Shocks are designed in such a way that only rebound can be adjusted and compression stays fixed. And to me, it seems like compression is purposely set a bit too soft, in order to make the ride a little smoother. However, it also means that, without revalving, Boss Chens can not be tuned for “maximum handling.”

Built quality:

In addition to what I have already said (the pieces are very strong and durable,) so far I did not have to retighten the collars, everything stays tight. There are also no noises for the most part.

Customer Service:

Just wanted to say that Larry has the best Customer Service I have ever seen. He answers every PM within a few hours during weekdays, and in case you ever have to resolve some kind of problem it’s a pleasure to deal with him. (I know it’s not supposed to be in the product review, but since he is the only person you can buy Boss Chens from I figured I should include this section as well.)

Here are a few pics:

Flying Maxima:

Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think any Maxima coilover has a place for the ABS lines...

Make sure to keep them clear of the control arms, I chewed mine up within a month of putting on my D2's.

When I put on my new ones, I wrapped them in electrical tape (4-5 layers) and they have been perfect for over a year.

I want to put on softer springs for the D2's to see if they ride more smooth...I don't think they are valved well for the 9/7 spring rates, some have told me softer springs would prob work well with them.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax

Make sure to keep them clear of the control arms, I chewed mine up within a month of putting on my D2's.

When I put on my new ones, I wrapped them in electrical tape (4-5 layers) and they have been perfect for over a year.

I want to put on softer springs for the D2's to see if they ride more smooth...I don't think they are valved well for the 9/7 spring rates, some have told me softer springs would prob work well with them.
the brackets are actually there... they are just too big to hold the ABS lines. So I also wrapped them up in electric tape.

BTW, people, forgot to mention the spring rates: It's 8kg/cm in the front and 6kg/cm in the rear.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Great review. Can you compare these coilovers to spring/strut combo's for our max's? Perhaps you been in a few other cars. I'm looking for a suspension set up for next spring but still researching.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what kind of springs and dampeners do Boss Chen's provide?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Boss Chen Industries

standard generic mass produced 2.5 inch diameter generic spring. Overall spring length uncompressed is a funky 7.5 inches.

dampeners are a standard oil filled, gas pressurized shock with revalve/rebuild capability by a local Koni or Bilstein center (always call first to inquire). They are made by a distributor that builds OEM shocks in Japan.

The compression is actually on the hard side and the rebound could use a bit of increase. However this was the compromise I made for a tolerable ride as most customers don't track the car exclusively. Although its funny because all but 1 B.C. owner tracks their car.. haha.

Thanks for the honest review. I just need to say that this may not be the best option for everyone. Every coilover has their pros and cons, I'll be the first to direct a potential customer elsewhere once I figure out what he is looking for in a suspension upgrade. Feel free to shoot me a PM for any questions or concerns.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Need A Light?

Nice pictures...glad it worked out well for you Klop..!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 PM
The original VQ...

I like, I want.

were did you buy and what did you pay?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 AM

talk to larrio motors he's the owner of boss chen
Old 11-02-2006, 02:12 PM
vq354thgen

Originally Posted by upstatemax
tein ss do

Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
Great review. Can you compare these coilovers to spring/strut combo's for our max's? Perhaps you been in a few other cars. I'm looking for a suspension set up for next spring but still researching.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what kind of springs and dampeners do Boss Chen's provide?
Unfortunately I've never been in a Maxima with conventional aftermarket springs. So I can't really compare them, sorry.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I like, I want.

were did you buy and what did you pay?
just like A33 said, got them from Larrio. I got them for $900 because I was one of the first few people to get them. I believe regular price is $950. Larry, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Boss Chen Industries

The shipping and price variance has a small effect.

$900-$910 usually at this point in time as a introductory phase

$970 is with everything (new strut mounts, strut bearing, strut plate). Plus I'll adjust and prep them for free so all the buyer has to do is slap them on. Or if the buyer is local, this price covers free installation also.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:11 PM

another nice setup for us. i just dont like stock strut mounts, my JICs have pillowball mounts but i think cost was also a factor...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Boss Chen Industries

Ease of replacement and long term reliability was factored in. Many pillowball mounts fail or make noise overtime due to the high stress on that part of the suspension
Old 11-10-2006, 07:07 AM

Wow I have been thinking of replacing my illumina eibach combo for a while. I probably would if i could sell them. I have always wanted to get coilovers. Do you think it is worth me getting these boss chens if I have 110k miles on my car. The illuminas are only a year old.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Boss Chen Industries

I'd wait especially if they are a year old.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Update: it was 16 degrees today. I did not notice any difference in the shock stiffness, even during the first 500 feet.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Update: it was 16 degrees today. I did not notice any difference in the shock stiffness, even during the first 500 feet.

even though i'm a little late responding to this I wanted to show appreciation for the review and the update because i'm thinking up upgrading to coilovers, especially since they've been squeking a lot recently with all the nasty cold weather, it's either going to be these or the Tein's.