5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 PM

Jacking point

Does anyone know if there is a common jacking point from the front of the car for a 2002? I did a search and checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be a definite answer to this question. On the front end of the car, there's a cross member that looks like there is a spot for a jack but not too sure about it. Anyone know??? Thanks in advance!

JF
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

it's centerline behind the front bumper and splash guards. It looks like a little "mound" or mountain upside-down.

This pic should give you an idea of where it is:

Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I R The Law

irish couldnt have described it any better
Old 08-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
it's centerline behind the front bumper and splash guards. It looks like a little "mound" or mountain upside-down.
[/img]
Or you can just jack it up from any point on the crossmember itself. Just make sure the jack is placed well enough on the cross member that it doesn't slip.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM

Rear jacking point?

Thanks irish44j (very nice ride btw)...found the "little mountain" for the front...now how about a center jack point for the back? Or are we relegated to jacking up one side at a time in the back?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
Old 08-26-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxfli
Thanks irish44j (very nice ride btw)...found the "little mountain" for the front...now how about a center jack point for the back? Or are we relegated to jacking up one side at a time in the back?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
The center of the rear beam is what the FSM states as the jack point for the rear.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanks in advance!
Pete
for the back its safe to just raise by the axle

great pic puppetmaster def printed that one out
Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Pointy Elbows

The thing is, it gets a little tight if you have a RSB.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
any time i jack the rear of my car up i have to remove it...that's probably why i rarely do it
Old 08-26-2006, 07:10 PM

I have a RSB and this is the point I use on each side:

Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Pointy Elbows

Nice, hey how do you like that jack? I was thinking about getting one. The all aluminum one that is.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:04 AM

Thanks for pointing out the jacking points.

Or you can just jack it up from any point on the crossmember itself. Just make sure the jack is placed well enough on the cross member that it doesn't slip.
Puppetmaster - thanks for the diagram and the pic. Here's a tip back at you that may be helpful to others as well. To keep the car from slipping/moving while on the jack, I put a hockey puck in the cradle of the jack. The rubber puck is hard enough that it won't get torn up and has just enough "give" to "grip" the car, avoiding the potential for slippage with metal contacting metal.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Nice, hey how do you like that jack? I was thinking about getting one. The all aluminum one that is.
I love it. Its much bigger but its great compared to my little old 2 1/4 ton jack where I had to pump it 20x just to get cradle high enough to make contact with the car; with the race jack you pump it not even once and its already on the car. Plus this jack is low profile so I can get it further down the cross member than with my old jack, which would barely get under the front factory jack point.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:36 AM

Thanks for pointing out the jacking points.

Puppetmaster - thanks for the diagram and the pic. Here's a tip back at you that may be helpful to others as well. To keep the car from slipping/moving while on the jack, I put a hockey puck in the cradle of the jack. The rubber puck is hard enough that it won't get torn up and has just enough "give" to "grip" the car, avoiding the potential for slippage with metal contacting metal.
You're welcome. Thanks for the tip. My jack actually has a rubber "seat" on it that does just that, but I posted that for the benefit of others who may be using jacks w/o that. That being said, as long as the jack is centered on the cross member, and with all the weight the car is putting down on it, its actually pretty hard for it to slip really. Just better being safe than sorry. Obviously, people should just use the cross member to get the car up and then throw some jack stands under and not leave the jack there as the sole support for the car.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I love it. Its much bigger but its great compared to my little old 2 1/4 ton jack where I had to pump it 20x just to get cradle high enough to make contact with the car; with the race jack you pump it not even once and its already on the car. Plus this jack is low profile so I can get it further down the cross member than with my old jack, which would barely get under the front factory jack point.
damn, I should have gotten that one. The one I got is like 110 lbs. and it doesn't fit under my car at all I have to use the factory jack to jack up a corner a bit in order for my floor jack to fit underneath the car...but I got it for a good price, so I'm pretty satisfied
Old 08-27-2006, 08:55 AM

Thanks to all for thier inputs! THat's why I love this forum!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
damn, I should have gotten that one. The one I got is like 110 lbs. and it doesn't fit under my car at all I have to use the factory jack to jack up a corner a bit in order for my floor jack to fit underneath the car...but I got it for a good price, so I'm pretty satisfied
I devised a way around that problem when I had my BMW 540 and wanted to jack it up by the engine subframe, but it was too low for my floor jack to get under there. I constructed two small-ish wooden ramps out of an 8' x 5/4 piece of pressure-treated deck plank. Three pieces per ramp, each one shorter than the rest, all screwed together. Simple, Fred-Flintstonian stuff.

You then position the ramps in front of your tires, pull the car up onto the ramps, and voila - you can now fit your floor jack underneath the car to your desired jacking point! This was particularly useful after I'd installed H&R's. :-)
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Succinct
I devised a way around that problem when I had my BMW 540 and wanted to jack it up by the engine subframe, but it was too low for my floor jack to get under there. I constructed two small-ish wooden ramps out of an 8' x 5/4 piece of pressure-treated deck plank. Three pieces per ramp, each one shorter than the rest, all screwed together. Simple, Fred-Flintstonian stuff.

You then position the ramps in front of your tires, pull the car up onto the ramps, and voila - you can now fit your floor jack underneath the car to your desired jacking point! This was particularly useful after I'd installed H&R's. :-)
great idea! I actually used a couple pieces of wood (although i didn't go so far as to make a ramp with them) under my tires this last time i jacked my car up, and that gave me enough clearance to fit my huge jack under there.

OT: Glacier Pearl 5.5 gen 6-speeds rule!!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 AM

Since I never lifted my car up, I dont know exactly where the Garage Jack Points (in the diagram above).

So, can I use my floor jack at one of the "safety stand points" just to lift the car and then use jack stands to have the car stay lifted. I mean is it safe for the car to lift one side (or tilt the car) first and the lift the other side.

Also, what is RSB?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by hamimp
Since I never lifted my car up, I dont know exactly where the Garage Jack Points (in the diagram above).

So, can I use my floor jack at one of the "safety stand points" just to lift the car and then use jack stands to have the car stay lifted. I mean is it safe for the car to lift one side (or tilt the car) first and the lift the other side.

Also, what is RSB?

Thanks.
Ya its safe to lift it from one side. You wont hurt anything as long as your lifting a proper safety point. Your owners manual gives a lil bit better picture of those safety stand points. RSB = rear sway bar.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 AM

Get on the ground and look under it. You'll see em. Irish44J's pic up above also has the approximate location of the front point.

Yes, it is safe, but you may risk tearing up the safety jack points depending on if your garage jack has an adaptor or not. Not sure if you care about that. Some people have also had success using a hockey puck or piece of wood.