5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 gen alternator change write-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

5.5 gen alternator change write-up

I just got done changing my alternator on my 2k3 and it was a real PITA. The sure-fire way to tell theres a problem is when the battery light and the brake light both light up. When that happens, you have two starts and 30 miles left by my experience... Anyway, it took me around 2 hours or so (and I'm no slouch when it comes to turning a wrench!) and used everything from a 10mm deep well socket to a 14 mm socket to do this. Here's what you'll need:

-New alternator (duh.)
-complete socket set
-wrench set (preferably a gear wrench set as they really come in handy. Specifically 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sizes)
-screwdrivers
-jack
-jack stands
-rags (I'll explain)
-band-aids for your knuckles

First thing you want to do is loosen the lugs on the front passenger tire, jack up the front of the car and put it on the jack stands. Take off the tire and remove the splash guards from the passenger side (all of them). Disconnect the battery. Undo the top radiator hose and plug it with a rag (it'll spill everywhere...). Now, you need to unplug the fans behind the radiator and remove the fan shroud (two 10mm bolts on the top). It's difficult to get out, but it'll come. You have to remove the fan wires completely and pull off the hose that's attached to a bracket at the bottom of the shroud.

Once removed, loosen the accessory belt by going clock-wise on the nut and loosen the nut on the tensioner pully. Now you can remove the belt. Next up, got to the top of the alternator and disconnect the wires. Now, get under the car and remove the AC compressor (4 14 mm bolts) and pull it out of the way. Now you can get to the alternator. There's a long bolt that you can get to if you remove the idler pully completely (nut sits behind it). Once the nut is undone, pull it out from the back. After that is done, go back to the top of the car and the bracket that holds the wires on the alternator needs to be removed. I found it easiest to remove the bracket on the alternator by unbolting it from the motor. Now you can drop it out the bottom around the AC compressor. Once that is done, do the reverse, crank it over and let it run for a while. On mine, my battery and brake lights immediatly turned off and the car charged pretty quickly.

From speaking with Irish, it sounds like this is the same procedure for both the 3.5 and the 3.0, but he'll need to confirm it. I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's late and my wife wants me to go to bed!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

I read another write-up somewhere for the 3.0, and this is pretty much the same procedure.