5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by emu103
does anyone think this may be catalytic converter related?

someone suggested it, idk.
Never rule it out. If the engine had been misfiring then it was dumping raw fuel into the cat, which will clog it quickly. When it gets clogged badly enough it will start building much higher than normal temps and they are capable of melting themselves down and clogging completely
Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by zenjia 03merlot
thanks for the advise, but the Vogtlands are great. they are not a cheap company, they make the oem springs for many german and other auto companies.

how could they fit the oem rear shocks and not the illuminas rears? doesn't make sense.
I would triple check those part numbers - as dj said, they ought to be fitting.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Motion
?? Should I just take it to nissan??
Check for codes. If you're in good with someone at a stealership to do this for less than the princely sum of 129.99, their tool can also read additional codes from the transmission ecu. Some of the higher end 3rd party tools might also be able to do this, but I am not sure.

You did the obvious, right? Check the fluid levels (atf fluid levels are usually checked when running), and check that your transmission cooling lines aren't clogged?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by weebs
I have a 2000 max and it has around 130k miles on it. I just started to notice this loud, high pitched whistle noise while driving right when the car hits around 1800 rpm then it goes away. It does not do it while in neutral, only in drive. I'm thinking it could be something tranny related. Any help?
When in neutral do you take it up to 1,800 RPM's? I would say it is a leak on the intake somewhere, but if you take it up to 1,800 RPM's in neutral and don't hear anything then you can likely rule out an intake leak.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by foodmanry
When in neutral do you take it up to 1,800 RPM's? I would say it is a leak on the intake somewhere, but if you take it up to 1,800 RPM's in neutral and don't hear anything then you can likely rule out an intake leak.
Yes in neutral i can take it up to between 1500-2000 rpm and hear nothing. It does sound like the whistling of a leak coming from somewhere. I put on an injen cold air intake myself so that was the first thing i checked but I am pretty sure it is not related to that. I still think it would have to be something with the transmission due to the fact of only doing it in drive.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Yes in neutral i can take it up to between 1500-2000 rpm and hear nothing. It does sound like the whistling of a leak coming from somewhere. I put on an injen cold air intake myself so that was the first thing i checked but I am pretty sure it is not related to that. I still think it would have to be something with the transmission due to the fact of only doing it in drive.
I've had several cold air intakes that whistled, but usually in the higher rpms or at idle. But only in drive....hrmmm
Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Hey so I think I need to replace the cv joint/axle, so upon inspection should it be obvious or how can I be sure? Also I'm going to do the front valve cover gasket, cus it's leaking in the dipstick area. I've read a bit about putting on the 04 covers, and was just wondering if that fixed the issue. Also do I need a kit or just the gasket?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 02 Max 6spd, and when changing "spiritedly" from 1st gear into 2nd, it makes a knocking sound coming from the front suspension of the car when the tires lose traction. Ive also noticed some wierd swaying when hitting certain bumps. Is this something I should be looking into regarding the transverse link recall? Will the dealer even honor this recall anymore?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brl24
Hey so I think I need to replace the cv joint/axle, so upon inspection should it be obvious or how can I be sure? Also I'm going to do the front valve cover gasket, cus it's leaking in the dipstick area. I've read a bit about putting on the 04 covers, and was just wondering if that fixed the issue. Also do I need a kit or just the gasket?
When a CV joint goes bad, makes a "crinkling" or pinging noise that devolves into grinding noise. The noise is more noticable when you are turning. If you look at the axel and the rubber boot is torn, its a good sign that you have a bad axle.

For the valve cover, you need the valve cover gasket and the spark plug tube seals. I don't think that there is a kit for this.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ashby
I have an 02 Max 6spd, and when changing "spiritedly" from 1st gear into 2nd, it makes a knocking sound coming from the front suspension of the car when the tires lose traction. Ive also noticed some wierd swaying when hitting certain bumps. Is this something I should be looking into regarding the transverse link recall? Will the dealer even honor this recall anymore?
I don't know what the knocking noise could be but in regards to the recall, a recall never expires. Call a dealer and they will look up on a computer to check if it has been done to your car. They will need your VIN number to look it up.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 quick questions here :

1-I'm looking to upgrade the fogs and I was wondering what's the best match for the factory hid's? PIAA intense white, xtreme white plus, super plasma or else ..?

2-I also have a strut bar laying around... when installing, at what torque should it be tightened??

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 AM

Cool thanks, does anyone know of a good write up for the vq35 front valve cover replacement?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Strange clunk in dash board when hitting bumps

As stated, anyone else get this? Usually only happens on bigger potholes, but it appears to be coming from just above the clock area.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hmmm....I have an Injen intake too and definitely have a whistle in that RPM range. I can't recall if I get it when I idle up in that RPM. It might still be there, just not loud enough for you to notice right away.

Have you tried to get a closer diagnosis with a friend revving the car in neutral to see if you can notice the same sound and where it is coming from?

Originally Posted by Brl24
Cool thanks, does anyone know of a good write up for the vq35 front valve cover replacement?
Do a search, there is a good write-up for this on here somewhere. The front VC is pretty straight-forward, but you want to be sure you tighten the bolts correctly and you have a bit of RTV sealant in a couple spots. Total process will take less than an hour if you are careful and spend your time, but likely around 30 minutes.

I would suggest you search for the FSM manual as it is very good for this procedure.

On the 02-03 Maximas the spark plug seals are already in the valve cover. I believe the 04 VC is interchangeable, but again do a search to verify.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-16-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM

hey all , new to the maxima scene...

i beleive im confused with something, i read that there was things to change in order to do exhaust/intake upgrades,

can someone clarify? what do i have to do/should do in order to upgrade my exhaust and intake??

i have a 02 3.5
Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I was going to change the pads and rotors on the 02 Maxima today, get all the lug nuts off but one, and I get to the last one and it turns, then wham spins free. My guess is that some jackass cross-threaded the lug nut, and when I tried to remove it I sheared the ears from the stud.. So what the hell do I do now? The stud and lug nut just spin in the hub. any suggestions?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ashby
So I was going to change the pads and rotors on the 02 Maxima today, get all the lug nuts off but one, and I get to the last one and it turns, then wham spins free. My guess is that some jackass cross-threaded the lug nut, and when I tried to remove it I sheared the ears from the stud.. So what the hell do I do now? The stud and lug nut just spin in the hub. any suggestions?
Impact wrench monkeys. The same kind that'll impact your lock nut in place, only to have the lock nut tool break on you on the side of the road.

You'll need to drill out the stud - lock the nut/stud in place, drill a small hole in the middle, then successively bigger. Remember to use oil on the drill bits to keep them cool. Yes, it's miserable. But it saves the wheel.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
Impact wrench monkeys. The same kind that'll impact your lock nut in place, only to have the lock nut tool break on you on the side of the road.

You'll need to drill out the stud - lock the nut/stud in place, drill a small hole in the middle, then successively bigger. Remember to use oil on the drill bits to keep them cool. Yes, it's miserable. But it saves the wheel.
Been there - done that. Calling it miserable is sugar-coating it!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by 02maximakidd3.5
hey all , new to the maxima scene...

i beleive im confused with something, i read that there was things to change in order to do exhaust/intake upgrades,

can someone clarify? what do i have to do/should do in order to upgrade my exhaust and intake??

i have a 02 3.5
It all depends what exhaust and intake upgrades you want to do...

I suggest you do some searching as there is a myriad of information on both intake upgrades and exhaust upgrades. In the end only you can decide what is best.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmmm....I have an Injen intake too and definitely have a whistle in that RPM range. I can't recall if I get it when I idle up in that RPM. It might still be there, just not loud enough for you to notice right away.

Have you tried to get a closer diagnosis with a friend revving the car in neutral to see if you can notice the same sound and where it is coming from?
No i have not tried that. I guess that would a pretty good place to start. I just cant fathom why it would be so specific to that rpm range.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Hey guys my max just isn't riding as smooth as I'm sure it once did. It's got 190k so the stock suspension doesnt owe me anything, so I'm just wondering what my best route for replacement is. I don't need to go lower but if I went down a bit it's not a big deal. I don't know if I should just go oem, or if there is some aftermarket I should look into. Also do I just need to do struts or springs aswell? Thanks again
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM

At 190K, you most likely need struts. Unless somebody used the car as a truck and constantly hauled heavy loads around, there is nothing wrong with the springs.

If you don't want the stock ride and handling as Nissan designed it, then you have a lot of decisions to make. If you want a little firmer ride than stock, get KYB struts. At 190K, I would also recommend that you replace the strut bearings also.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im having trouble with my car and this dam 15 post rule SUCKS lol

i have a 00 nissan maxima gle i think ill check later its my first car it had SEVERAL issues when bought ive managed to fix a few but it still buggy

i would really like to learn as much as possible about this car and how to maintain it in good shape and all that but i got no idea how to go about it

if you dont have the owners manual where would one be able to obtain it?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-17-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold Air Intake

Hi, I am new to this page too. I just purchased a 2002 Maxima SE with 67,000 miles on it. I am considering some simple upgrades such as an intake and an exhaust. Im looking into purchasing an Injen Cold Air Intake as well as a Megan Oe Rs exhaust. I was wondering what is the best way to go with these cars. I have heard that the Cold Air Intake can damage the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I also was wondering what the chances of sucking up water through the intake was. I plan on getting the cone cover as well as the bypass valve for it. I was looking for some feedback on this and other intakes. I also would like some feedback on this exhaust system. I would really like a Frankencar exhaust but haven't been able to find one because the company is out of business. Any help with these questions or any advice or leads on parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help, I'm glad to be a part of this forum.
Sincerely,
David
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Two questions if someone would be so kind as to help me out please

1) Stock driver's side front speaker is dead...if I get a basic aftermarket speaker of the same size, is it just plug and play? Do I have to run new wires?

2) What do I have to install / upgrade / mod to achieve a deep growl like that of a mustang GT, Camaro SS..etc? Is it possible or only with a V8 engine?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

No i have not tried that. I guess that would a pretty good place to start. I just cant fathom why it would be so specific to that rpm range.
There is a pretty narrow intake whistle range...worth a shot to see if you pick it up in that scenario.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
At 190K, you most likely need struts. Unless somebody used the car as a truck and constantly hauled heavy loads around, there is nothing wrong with the springs.

If you don't want the stock ride and handling as Nissan designed it, then you have a lot of decisions to make. If you want a little firmer ride than stock, get KYB struts. At 190K, I would also recommend that you replace the strut bearings also.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by kbcnd
Two questions if someone would be so kind as to help me out please

1) Stock driver's side front speaker is dead...if I get a basic aftermarket speaker of the same size, is it just plug and play? Do I have to run new wires?

2) What do I have to install / upgrade / mod to achieve a deep growl like that of a mustang GT, Camaro SS..etc? Is it possible or only with a V8 engine?

Thanks in advance!
1. It should be plug and play. Probably have to cut and use the harness from the old speaker wiring it to the new one and install.

2. There are options, but you won't get near that deep growl you seek. A start would be a y-pipe and run 3-inch exhaust all the way to the back. There are different muffler options. But at that points you are talking about spending $1000 or more. Are you sure it is worth it?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-17-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by whohighdie
im having trouble with my car and this dam 15 post rule SUCKS lol

i have a 00 nissan maxima gle i think ill check later its my first car it had SEVERAL issues when bought ive managed to fix a few but it still buggy

i would really like to learn as much as possible about this car and how to maintain it in good shape and all that but i got no idea how to go about it

Be careful on the psotwhoring

What are the issues?

Read all you can read on here and you'll learn a lot.

Pick your year:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/owners-manuals.php
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

1. It should be plug and play. Probably have to cut and use the harness from the old speaker wiring it to the new one and install.
No no!

If Bose, an aftermarket speaker will NOT work. It is only plug and play if you are non-Bose.

..you can always find a cheap Bose speaker on the classifieds here. Lot of people have them laying around.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
No no!

If Bose, an aftermarket speaker will NOT work. It is only plug and play if you are non-Bose.

..you can always find a cheap Bose speaker on the classifieds here. Lot of people have them laying around.
Woops...my bad, forgot about the BLOSE cr*p. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks again Dennis
Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by whohighdie

You asked about the owners manual and NmexMax gave you a link for that.

However, if you want to be able to fix problems, you would benefit from having a FSM (Factory Service Manual).

If you want a FSM, go here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Click on the year desired.
The file named fwd.pdf is the "cover page" file, the starting point.
The file named idx.pdf is the alphabetical index file.

Last edited by DennisMik; 05-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You asked about the owners manual and NmexMax gave you a link for that.

However, if you want to be able to fix problems, you would benefit from having a FSM (Factory Service Manual).

If you want a FSM, go here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Click on the year desired.
The file named fwd.pdf is the "cover page" file, the starting point.
The file named idx.pdf is the alphabetical index file.

Owners manual is for shizz.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^^ lol @ making same mistake noob did
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
^^^ lol @ making same mistake noob did
I only keep my owners manual around just to remember when she was fairly new

Still have the one for my '95 also.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Suspension Yoda

I keep mine in the glovebox. Selling point for whenever I decide it's not worth to keep around anymore.

I do have an extra key from every car I've owned though, and will keep that tradition going forever.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Quick question that wasn't making a new thread worthy. Ordering HID kit from DDM Tuning HB2 Kit. But theres a HI/LO option for 20+ whats the difference. Does that mean that if I buy the regular one I won't had HID high beams.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dominicanaso
Quick question that wasn't making a new thread worthy. Ordering HID kit from DDM Tuning HB2 Kit. But theres a HI/LO option for 20+ whats the difference. Does that mean that if I buy the regular one I won't had HID high beams.
You will have low beam HID and halogen high beam. I'll warn you now, if you put HID's in your stock halogen housing, you're gonna glare/blind the hell out of oncoming vehicles. This is the reason i removed mine when I had my 2001 Max.

The high beam halogen sucks ***** too, so don't expect good output at all from that.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM

So is it worth it to go with the HI/LO option? An I suppose your saying, get new housing..
Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Suspension Yoda

Yes, get the right housing.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dominicanaso
So is it worth it to go with the HI/LO option? An I suppose your saying, get new housing..
HI/LO just means the highbeam/low beam are the same bulb. If you wanted full HID's (low/high beam), you would need bi-xenon kit. It would be the H4 Bi-xenon since 'H4' is the same as '9003.'

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread