5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Hey again, just wanna say the org is awsome. I'm almost at 15 posts, so I got another one for this thread. My max runs pretty good for the most part, but once it warms up at idle there's a bit of a shake and it sometimes it feels considerably less powerful. I'm not sure if both issues would be tied together or not, bu help on either issue is much appreciated. Thanks again
Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Any codes/SES lights?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 AM

No lights are on, but also I'm kinda new to this so Im not sure if a light will always cone on if it throws a code? I haven't had it checked but will if you say it could throw one without a light coming on I will.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brl24
No lights are on, but also I'm kinda new to this so Im not sure if a light will always cone on if it throws a code? I haven't had it checked but will if you say it could throw one without a light coming on I will.
A knock sensor code, P0325 (03 04), is one of several codes that will not turn on the SES light. A bad knock sensor will cause the engine timing to be retarded and this results in downgraded performance.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Ok thanks I'll give it a try, you guys think this may cause it to perform inconsistantly. Also for any one who is reading the Haynes Fsm sucks for 5th gens. All the f***ing pics are 4th gen. Waste of $30
Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Brl24
Ok thanks I'll give it a try, you guys think this may cause it to perform inconsistantly. Also for any one who is reading the Haynes Fsm sucks for 5th gens. All the f***ing pics are 4th gen. Waste of $30
Yeah we knew that.

This one is free:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Yah I figured, I was just puttin it up for newer ppl. So I went to my local parts source and no codes came up, still possibly a KS? If not what's my next step?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

On my 02 Maxima, I'm starting to get a weird sloshing noise when I first start up the car. I hear the sloshing noise for about 5 seconds, then it sounds like water moving, then it stops after 10-15 seconds.

I live in NY and we've had rain for about 5-6 days straight, although my car has been under a cover about half that time. Could it be possible that the rain got in an air pump, or could it be the radiator, or maybe the A/C? I haven't run the AC at all really this year yet.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Purchaseing New Struts: Looking for guidance

A new member...

Looking for guidance/suggestions on the right struts (brand) to buy for a 2001. Comments on KYB vs monroe requested.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Wesley
A new member...

Looking for guidance/suggestions on the right struts (brand) to buy for a 2001. Comments on KYB vs monroe requested.
KYB > Monroe, that is all.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Suspension Yoda

* > Monroe
Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Definitely KYB
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Definitely KYB
i own a 2003 maxima that has aftermarket ae projectors but the bulb wiring is standard halogen and there are no harnesses. bought h3 and h1 hid bulbs kits and relays but my question is how would i connect it to my factory wiring without the harnesses
Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaybenice
i own a 2003 maxima that has aftermarket ae projectors but the bulb wiring is standard halogen and there are no harnesses. bought h3 and h1 hid bulbs kits and relays but my question is how would i connect it to my factory wiring without the harnesses
Never heard of a AE projector. Where did your ballasts go from your stock lights? This doesn't make any sense.....
Old 05-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Never heard of a AE projector. Where did your ballasts go from your stock lights? This doesn't make any sense.....
sorry i meant halo projectors. but thats the thing the ballasts are gone the d2r set up that was suppose to be there was gone it looked like a crappy wiring job. only wires i got are an h3 wire for my low beam and an h1 for my high beam. it doesnt have the harnesses it just has those metal prong like connectors
Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION

Complete noob, but a desperate one. I have a stalling issue on my 2002 SE. It first started about 4 months ago. Dealer advised MAF sensor. Replaced it as well as spark plugs and everything was fine until last week when it stalled three times. Read on another site that a guy had a similar issue and his mechanic cleaned the throttle body and it fixed it. On the way home from having my mechanic clean the throttle body it stalled again today twice. Really no pattern to the stalling other than the stalls occur immediately after it comes to a stop. It is difficult to start afterwards but always starts. I just step on the gas and keep turning it over until it decides to start. Runs fine once it gets moving.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 AM

sorry i meant halo projectors. but thats the thing the ballasts are gone the d2r set up that was suppose to be there was gone it looked like a crappy wiring job. only wires i got are an h3 wire for my low beam and an h1 for my high beam. it doesnt have the harnesses it just has those metal prong like connectors
Like I said in my PM, you'll need to get the ballast kits as well. They will have the harness that connects to the OEM connectors. Can you take pictures of this setup that you got now?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Like I said in my PM, you'll need to get the ballast kits as well. They will have the harness that connects to the OEM connectors. Can you take pictures of this setup that you got now?
Yea i have the kits, what I don't have is the oem connectors. I have everything to set it up its just a matter of what wires to connect it to.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Yea i have the kits, what I don't have is the oem connectors. I have everything to set it up its just a matter of what wires to connect it to.
Should just be plug n play unless the previous owner did something. Take a picture then upload it to a sharing site like photobucket.com then paste the IMG url back here.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Should just be plug n play unless the previous owner did something. Take a picture then upload it to a sharing site like photobucket.com then paste the IMG url back here.

this is what im dealin with
Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Power windows, locks, sunroof, and seat suddenly stopped working. Shucks.

Hi, I'm brand noob here. I'm starting to trouble shoot an electrical problem. Here are the symptoms:
  1. Happened suddenly yesterday after everything working perfectly since I've had the car ~6mo
  2. Power windows do not work from any door
  3. Power sunroof does not work
  4. Power seats do not work on either side in any direction
  5. Power door locks do not work from either door or from the key fob
  6. After pressing door un/lock from either the doors or the fob I can hear a click from a white box under and to the right of the steering column

Here is what I've done so far:
  1. Downloaded the FSM and perused the power window, locks, and seats sections.
  2. Am familiar with the fuse block and fusable link box
  3. Have checked the no 10 fuse in the fuse block
  4. Found the 40a letter I fusable link was blown, replaced it.
  5. Have taken the driver side control switch out of the door. Inspected the board, replaced everything.
  6. Have unplugged everything from the fuse block, taken off, inspected, replaced everything.
  7. Have checked all connections under the drivers side seat.

What I'm about to do next is start to learn about how to trouble shoot electrical problems by probing with a voltmeter or whatever. My guesses from what I've read are:
  1. Driver side master control switch
  2. A relay
  3. A circuit breaker
  4. The SECU

Any thoughts to kick start me on my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to the mods for the noob thread!

Last edited by fossill; 05-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 PM

For the love of God. That is a nasty looking mess. Let me look at it more and I try and give you some sort of direction. You're gonna have to cut the new connectors off your new kit, or try and get the OEM connectors and make everything like it should.

Here's the wiring for stock HID's:

B = Black
W = White
R = Red
G = Green
L = Blue
Y = Yellow
LG = Light Green
BR = Brown
OR = Orange
P = Pink
PU = Purple
GY = Gray
SB = Sky Blue
CH = Dark Brown
DG = Dark Green

The letter after the '/' in a color will be the stripe color.

Last edited by VQP0WER; 05-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM

For the love of God. That is a nasty looking mess. Let me look at it more and I try and give you some sort of direction.
That's what I said , if u could help I'd really appreciate it thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 PM

OH... MY... GOD!!!

To start with, download the FSM or at least the EL electrical section.

link - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Starting on page 38 of the EL section is a description of the power distribution for the headlights. This is probably more FYI than important right now. But on page 43 & 44 is the wiring for the headlight. Page 44 (posted by VQPOWER) has the connections at the headlight assembly itself.

Your problem is going to be getting the plastic connectors. Probably the best way to get this would be to go to a junkyard and get the wiring harness and cut the connectors off and splice them onto your car.

From the photos, the person who did this used crimp connectors to splice the wires. This is not the best thing for wires that are exposed to the elements. In a couple of years, these connections develop corrosion and the electricity can't get through it.

What I'm trying to say is DO NOT use crimp connectors, solder the wires and cover the solder connections with heat shrink tubing. If you don't do soldering, find someone to do it for you.

In the category of FYI, here is a link of how to modify the car wiring to put HID lights in a 2000 Max that didn't have them. While this is the exact opposite of what was done to your car, there may be something of value in there.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...guide-diy.html
Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Alright, so I'm making a little progress on my electrical issues using the FSM. I'm seeing that I'd like to check the E90 circuit breaker or the power window relay. However, I have no idea where to look for those and I don't see how to look it up in the FSM. Any guidance?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
OH... MY... GOD!!!

To start with, download the FSM or at least the EL electrical section.

link - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Starting on page 38 of the EL section is a description of the power distribution for the headlights. This is probably more FYI than important right now. But on page 43 & 44 is the wiring for the headlight. Page 44 (posted by VQPOWER) has the connections at the headlight assembly itself.

Your problem is going to be getting the plastic connectors. Probably the best way to get this would be to go to a junkyard and get the wiring harness and cut the connectors off and splice them onto your car.

From the photos, the person who did this used crimp connectors to splice the wires. This is not the best thing for wires that are exposed to the elements. In a couple of years, these connections develop corrosion and the electricity can't get through it.

What I'm trying to say is DO NOT use crimp connectors, solder the wires and cover the solder connections with heat shrink tubing. If you don't do soldering, find someone to do it for you.

In the category of FYI, here is a link of how to modify the car wiring to put HID lights in a 2000 Max that didn't have them. While this is the exact opposite of what was done to your car, there may be something of value in there.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...guide-diy.html
Thanks u guys I hope it works
Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by fossill
Alright, so I'm making a little progress on my electrical issues using the FSM. I'm seeing that I'd like to check the E90 circuit breaker or the power window relay. However, I have no idea where to look for those and I don't see how to look it up in the FSM. Any guidance?
Actually, the answer IS in the FSM. If you look in the FSM there is a subsection in the EL section called "electrical units location" and also there is "harness layout". Those should allow you to find what you're looking for.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Getting farther but don't know what it means. If I see power at the E90 circuit breaker and at the M20 power window relay and at the pins in the D10 door harness (saw power for the constant w/r wire as well as at the w/l wire when ignition is on and only if M20 power relay is in) does that mean the circuits are good? If so, I'm left thinking that its the drivers side main switch, My only hesitation is that after looking at the schematics in the FSM, I don't see how the main switch can be causing the power seats or sunroof to not work. The only thing that seems to be common between all (locks, windows, seats, and roof) is the E90 breaker. The SECU is common on everything except the sunroof it looks like, though I haven't even begun to investigate the SECU yet. Still any advice is appreciated!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hope I'm not jacking anyones thread. I was driving my 2000 Max SE 5 speed today when I noticed the timing control unit was smoking and about to catch fire. I pulled over and unplugged the harness from it and removed the smoked unit. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution was, or if this is common issue with this model year. I searched and came up empty handed, so I'm guessing this is not common, but any help is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by fossill
Getting farther but don't know what it means. If I see power at the E90 circuit breaker and at the M20 power window relay and at the pins in the D10 door harness (saw power for the constant w/r wire as well as at the w/l wire when ignition is on and only if M20 power relay is in) does that mean the circuits are good? If so, I'm left thinking that its the drivers side main switch, My only hesitation is that after looking at the schematics in the FSM, I don't see how the main switch can be causing the power seats or sunroof to not work. The only thing that seems to be common between all (locks, windows, seats, and roof) is the E90 breaker. The SECU is common on everything except the sunroof it looks like, though I haven't even begun to investigate the SECU yet. Still any advice is appreciated!
Interesting to me, frustrating to you. There is a 40 amp fuse under the hood by the battery labeled Fuse I in the schematics. On the fuse block cover it is called "FL40A Power Window". This fuse feeds the circuit breaker that feeds the sun roof, seats, windows, door locks and something else.

In the FSM, section EL, there is a page labeled "Power Supply Routing". It shows power is distributed. It is a block diagram, so don't expect minute details. In the 2000 manual it is page 9. In the 2002 manual, it is page 10. Look down the left edge of the diagram, 3/4 (or a little more) of the way down and you will see Fuse I.

From your post, it sounds like you have voltage coming through the circuit breaker, so the fuse evidently is good. I would then suspect the circuit breaker. Two things can happen to a circuit breaker. 1 - it opens up (blows so to speak) like a fuse. 2 - it becomes incapable of carrying the amount of amperage that it is supposed to. It opens up when power is required, but then resets itself.

I am guessing at # 2. Disconnect it and use a jumper in its place and see if the windows and stuff work. BIG CAUTION When doing this, do not let a window or seat or whatever come to the end of its movement or you will blow the fuse.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM

I have a questoin. My passenger side front window on my 2002 Maxima SE won't stay solled up if I use the auto feature on it. It will roll up and roll 1/3 the way back down. If I just roll the window up manually it will stay. Not that big of a deal but would anyone know the problem?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by MaxiBeast
I have a questoin. My passenger side front window on my 2002 Maxima SE won't stay solled up if I use the auto feature on it. It will roll up and roll 1/3 the way back down. If I just roll the window up manually it will stay. Not that big of a deal but would anyone know the problem?
Thanks
I'm assuming it will roll all the way up if you do not use the auto roll up feature? If so, it might be as simple as lubricating the window slides in the door. I think if there is too much resistance it will roll back down as an auto safety measure. Maybe someone else has another idea, but try lubricating the window slides in the door.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
I'm assuming it will roll all the way up if you do not use the auto roll up feature? If so, it might be as simple as lubricating the window slides in the door. I think if there is too much resistance it will roll back down as an auto safety measure. Maybe someone else has another idea, but try lubricating the window slides in the door.
Alright I'll try that. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 maxima and my fog lights currently only turn on when the headlights are on. I was wondering if there was a way to wire them so they can come on with the running lights. If anyone knows what I am talking about I could use some help. Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by weebs
I have a 2000 maxima and my fog lights currently only turn on when the headlights are on. I was wondering if there was a way to wire them so they can come on with the running lights. If anyone knows what I am talking about I could use some help. Thanks
http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was driving my 2000 Max SE 5 speed today when I noticed the timing control unit was smoking and about to catch fire. I pulled over and unplugged the harness from it and removed the smoked unit. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution was, or if this is common issue with this model year. I searched and came up empty handed, so I'm guessing this is not common, but any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clogging Noise?

I have an 03 Max with 143k and I hear a clogged noise when the car is running. It sounds like the car has a cold or is congested. The codes that keep returning are P1448 and 0446...but we've already replaced the evap canister and purge valve. I've read on this forum in the past that those things won't cause any noises or decreased acceleration anyway. Although I've replaced the two, the SES light is still illuminated. This car is driving me nuts! SES light has been on for 4 years now and no one knows why. I've taken the car to several mechanics including Nissan and I've been told to replace everything from ALL 3 cats, timing chain, evap system, lifters, ECM, and on and on and on. Every mechanic tells me something different. There's also rubbing noises coming from the rear of the car that we can't narrow down. I've taken very good care of the car only using Mobile 1 Synthetic since it's 53mi mark in 2003 when I purchased it. I don't have ca$h to guess and at this point, I'm ready to part it out and move on to something better. I just can't imagine anything better than Maxxeen = /

Recently, we've replaced these parts:

Rotors, Pads, Struts, and Bearings all the way around
Front P/S motor mount
Canister and Purge valve
Coils, Plugs, and Tune up

Really do appreciate your help..

Maxxeen's Mom : )
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 95silvia
I was driving my 2000 Max SE 5 speed today when I noticed the timing control unit was smoking and about to catch fire. I pulled over and unplugged the harness from it and removed the smoked unit. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution was, or if this is common issue with this model year. I searched and came up empty handed, so I'm guessing this is not common, but any help is appreciated.
What is a timing control unit?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiBeast
Thanks
Reset your window, buddy. Here are the instructions:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t-02-03-a.html
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What is a timing control unit?

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to come off stupid asking what it was.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread