5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rustproofing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 PM

Rustproofing??

Did a search and came-up with nada.....

Anyone in the Midwest or NE get their Max rustproofed??

NEver done it b4, not sure where to begin other than Ziebart.
Any help would be appreciated on what or what not to do.

Thanks,
gr
Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 AM

To date 4th and 5th gens don't rust. At least not from the inside out. Keep it waxed and touch-up chips. The rust proofing places often do more harm than good by plugging the drains.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 AM

My mother had her white 95 Ziebarted when she bought it new, and I have to say -they made a MESS of that poor car.

I'm back in the midwest for an indeterminate length of time, and I don't want my car to get ANY rust. Driving another car during winter isn't really an option for me, so I was considering rustproofing.

I'm surprised nobody else has any issues thus far. INteresting.

gr
Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 AM

When i bought my car, I got the extended rust warranty and the car looks like crap on the roof, hood, near the doors and the trunk where it's rusting fairly bad...This is after 2 wax jobs/year and 2 touch up paint pens!!! So yeah, I dont support your claim of 4th 5th gens dont rust!!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by takkar
When i bought my car, I got the extended rust warranty and the car looks like crap on the roof, hood, near the doors and the trunk where it's rusting fairly bad...This is after 2 wax jobs/year and 2 touch up paint pens!!! So yeah, I dont support your claim of 4th 5th gens dont rust!!
I said they don't rust from the inside out. That's what rust proofing protects against. If you let chips start to rust or the paint fails and becomes porous then you're going to get rust on the outside surface. Rust proofing won't stop that.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jvienneau
I said they don't rust from the inside out. That's what rust proofing protects against. If you let chips start to rust or the paint fails and becomes porous then you're going to get rust on the outside surface. Rust proofing won't stop that.
Well I have a rust spot on the drivers door on the bottom. It's on the inside of the door too so it's nothing to do with paint chips. Maximas, just like any other car, rust from both directions.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:27 AM

My passenger rear wheel well is rusting through from the inside. The paint is in tact, but bubbled up from underneath. Ohio sux.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by 9DTALON
My passenger rear wheel well is rusting through from the inside. The paint is in tact, but bubbled up from underneath. Ohio sux.
Yeah, Coolmax has that same problem. As far as I know, I don't have any rust there yet... :goes out to the garage to check: