5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil loss - diagnosis from dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Craig, how much is it burning between oil changes?
I'm at about just over 2,000K into my oil change and If the sump with filter holds about 4.25, I've added about a litre in 2000K. That's if that figure is correct.

Last time I did oil, I just added four quarts, and drove it for a day. it was a little low the next day from not being quite full. I topped it off then, and have added around a litre since.

So, its around 2.5 quarts on 5,000K kms.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 AM

Standard Oil, Significant Oil Loss....

Originally Posted by bvenvert
I am curious to find out if those of you having oil comsumption problems are running synthetic or standard motor oil? I don't think it should matter, since the motor should not be burning or using oil in some capacity anyway, but synthetic oil tends to be thin compared to the same weight standard motor oil. I have read other threads that state that changing over to synthetic oil after you have compiled a number of miles on the motor, can lead to leaky seals, in a variety of areas around the motor.

Since most of you don't have leaks, but appear to have oil burning issues, could it be possible that the thiner synthetic oil passes more easily by the rings and gets burned in the cylinders?

I am just curious. I have an 03 SE with 43K miles on it and I feel fortunate that I don't have any oil consumption problems at this time, but I have always run standard motor oil in my engine. I have thought about switching to synthetic but there is no motivation to do so on my part. I have owned 3 Maximas and have never had any oil consumption problems, even with 130K miles plus and I have always used standard motor oil.
I've always used standard oil (5w-30, 20w-50). Suddenly, it's "eating" oil (~2 qts discovered gone the ONE TIME in my life I allowed ~6,200 miles between changes!). I'm aware others may see this as "normal," per my research, but my cars are BABIED, I sell them @ ~145k, and they use NO OIL! I have 108k on this one (2002 SE). Just passed smog in CA easily, runs great, no leaks, etc. Two mechanic friends of mine inspected it and said it's ~normal, but get away from 5w-30 (no flaming, I'm aware it was dumb & I stayed w/ it too long). Thus suggested synthetic, but I've heard the same "leak inducement" downside from them, so I'm just going to go to standard 20w-50 and keep my eye on it....
Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 AM

Same Filter Story Here....

Originally Posted by paul5:14
I doubt the oil filter will effect this in anyway whatsoever.
I was told this esoteric theory about how a cheap oil filter blocks critical "binder molecules" that supposedly cling to the cylinder walls, "preventing the oil from getting past the rings," so one must buy a Fram or other name brand filter in a bid to reduce/eliminate oil consumption (assuming a healthy engine).

I'm an engineer, and I say that's just plain bunk! Am I wrong? Does anyone else have any insight into this one? I've used discount Dan filters my whole life, and sell my wheels @ ~145k w/ NO PROBLEMS normally.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
5.5 gens is common for having a cracked cover. i'm going to take a guess here and say that it was the plug nearest to the driver that had the oil leak. i've done searches and more than 75% of them were problems with that specific plug.

they also replaced both front and rear gaskets along with the cover for me. i thought they had gone out of the way, but since they took care of you too, they're possibly seeing this as all too common?
The plug tube seal on that plug allowed some oil to get into the tube, but I've got no external leaks, per myself and 2 mechanics. Oil loss is significant, as I've previously stated.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Cletus

sure sounds like the typical bad rings to me
Old 07-31-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
im starting to wonder if my timing advance to 17 degrees before top dead center would cause this problem.
the timing advance causes the ignition to occur earlier (before the piston reaches top dead center).
would this cause extra compression that this rings cant handle?
No. Issues like pre-ignition/pinging would occur earlier and would alert you first.

In the old days, people fiddled w/ timing routinely. Now, computers think for us. Remember, the computer determines the ACTUAL timing DYNAMICALLY; the 17 U used is only a static figure you set.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by prizmeye
No. Issues like pre-ignition/pinging would occur earlier and would alert you first.

In the old days, people fiddled w/ timing routinely. Now, computers think for us. Remember, the computer determines the ACTUAL timing DYNAMICALLY; the 17 U used is only a static figure you set.

yeah i know that now...that was years ago when i was trying to solve the problem
Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 PM

They Counted On You Concluding As Such...

here are my thoughts...
why spent possibly thousands of dollars on a lawyer for the problem to get fixed for free? its not like i would be making money.
i could just spend that money on fixing the problem (with better parts),

its not that im giving up and that i dont think i could win...its just not worth the money and time.
It's unfortunate nobody ever directed you to what California calls the "Bureau of Automotive Repair." (I realize the thread's old, but it may help future readers). Believe it or not, the BAR has MUCH weight in the industry, for reasons I've never totally understood; your state may have something similar. It's another way to put pressure on Nissan to do the right thing.

Nissan counted on your coming to the conclusion you did. That's really a shame for you and ROTTEN of them!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:45 PM

(Al)most Certainly Not....

sure sounds like the typical bad rings to me
(I'm aware your problem was/is(???) "old news," but I'm hoping future readers...as I have been on this thread...will benefit from this newer activity, just as I benefited from your story).

Having worked on cars for years, I knew to do what it appears you were not advised to do early enough: I pulled the plugs. The 4 of the 6 I've been able to pull (incl the one w/ oil in the tube) are TEXTBOOK BEAUTIFUL. No evidence of oil burning whatsoever, it runs great, and it just passed smog. After I'd crawled around underneath, shined a light everywhere and couldn't find ANY oil, the two mechanics had a look (father/son) and were shocked @ how "new" my car looks underneath (CA weather is to credit, NOT ME!! HA!). Can it be that the 2 plugs that I cannot access until I pull the intake manifold just happen to be problematic? If so, it'll be like winning the lottery in reverse! Awaiting the gasket shipment prior to disassembly. The mystery still: WHERE is all the oil going???? (I've checked the coolant for contamination that would indicate a blown head gasket; looks "new.") No smoke, etc. Cannot figure it out!

I'm still reading the lengthy thread...how did you come out @ the end?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Wal-Mart Xpress....

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Man I hope I never have this problem with my 03 6 speed. 65,000 miles and doesnt burn a drop of oil. I almost thought I was have a problem but turned out to be those cheap supertech oil filters not sealing good. Never again will I buy $2 oil filters again. Back to old reliable pureones.....
I've used that filter FOR YEARS and NEVER had a leak yet! The gaskets on oil filters are all the same. Some have a flat one, others an O-ring, but never have I had an issue; save your $$$ and go back!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Not So Fast....

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
im afraid my engine will lose oil soon too. my engine is at 57k. no oil loss issue. every maxima owner should be aware of this. i love my car very much also. but damn theyre not going to fix your engine for not having records? nissan is denying everything too? what are the guys over at the Z forums doing? if we get enough people to complain, would they fix this problem?
I come from the contract world. I know that courts place MUCH WEIGHT on handwritten (or computer-generated) records kept by a (construction) contract administrator. I strongly believe (but cannot 100% prove, and it may vary by state) that my hand-written little notebook that gives the date, mileage, oil brand/weight and filter brand of each change WILL WORK in a claims situation. Though a dishonest person could forge them, the courts usually favor the consumer on such disputes. Again, I know the thread's old, but I hope to benefit future readers, as I have been.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Cletus

I've used that filter FOR YEARS and NEVER had a leak yet! The gaskets on oil filters are all the same. Some have a flat one, others an O-ring, but never have I had an issue; save your $$$ and go back!
i (and many others) will disagree with this
Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 PM

UPDATE:
Well i had a SES light before I went to Korea (P0420).
Im home on leave and went to the dealership. So I still have the P0420 (O2 sensor downstream on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be). Basically, the cats are going bad because of the unburnt oil going through them.
On top of that, I have a multiple cylinder misfire (with plugs and coils 10K miles ago). Thats because the plugs are all fouled with the oil.
And since the converters are messing up O2 readings, its running rich...so oil AND unburned fuels going through the cats.

So to fix the problem I now need - rings, cats, and plugs.

I'm officially giving up on the problem. I'm planning to get an Xterra this summer and the POS maxima will be my beater.

Biggest thing pissing me off - i have always babied that car and taking so much care of it...yet this happens. People abuse their car and never change the oil...this needs to happen to them.
Your trench was (is still?) so deep, I wish someone had told you about relatively economical, used engines from Japan that vendors install for replacements in the U.S. (My dad did it for his Toyota, and had a great deal on his hands). The Japanese emission standards are tougher, so they say, so they have engines available. OF COURSE, you'd have to verify the cylinder condition and DOCUMENT the warranty, maintenance, etc. to avoid a repeat!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Huh?

Originally Posted by pbn85
yes I have...but forget it, your not understanding what I'm trying to say. If you read more closely, you'll see that the people I spoke to (NNA, service techs) said 1qt per 1k miles is normal. Then you say your current rate is 1qt per 1k miles...so that would be "normal". Since thats the case I just dont know why NNA is saying its excessive if its 1qt per 1k miles.
My read says that their (NOT MINE) definition of "normal" is 1 qt per 3,000 miles. Mechanic (private, non-Nissan) tells me that's normal these days. I'm not buying it based on my experience, but I've got 108k miles, so I'll live w/ it.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Cletus

UPDATE:

since this is starting to get more attention

continued to get the P0420 and cylinder misfire. replaced the plugs again and it was a little better. SES would come on every couple weeks for a year. removed the main cat and replaced it with a test pipe...the inside of the cat fell apart when i dropped it, small particles everyone from it being burned...still got the SES (precats were bad)

gave up on the car and sold it in march

the last time i saw the car

Last edited by SoonerFan; 08-01-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Don't you know who I am?

gave up on the car and sold it

This worked well for my oil-burning problem as well.

I know most people complain about the reliability aspect of german cars, but I can fondly say that my car now burns a quart of oil in 15,000 miles. My maxima was burning a quart every 350 miles.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule

This worked well for my oil-burning problem as well.

I know most people complain about the reliability aspect of german cars, but I can fondly say that my car now burns a quart of oil in 15,000 miles. My maxima was burning a quart every 350 miles.
Do you really consider oil burning a reliability problem? I can't remember the last time I had a car that didn't burn oil and none of them were/are unreliable.

I don't necessarily love the fact my Max burns oil, but it also doesn't really hurt anything... I top off as needed with conventional oil and all is fine and dandy. She runs good and pulls strong (since VIAS delete especially)

If I wanted less power and NO oil burning though, I could whole heartedly recommend a DE-K powered Max. My dads burns absolutely zero no matter how far you go.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by CraigSE
Do you really consider oil burning a reliability problem? I can't remember the last time I had a car that didn't burn oil and none of them were/are unreliable.

I don't necessarily love the fact my Max burns oil, but it also doesn't really hurt anything... I top off as needed with conventional oil and all is fine and dandy. She runs good and pulls strong (since VIAS delete especially)

If I wanted less power and NO oil burning though, I could whole heartedly recommend a DE-K powered Max. My dads burns absolutely zero no matter how far you go.
it is a problem if it causes all the problems I had...an engine should not burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, and NNA agrees with that and admits that it is due to bad rings
Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 AM

it is a problem if it causes all the problems I had...an engine should not burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, and NNA agrees with that and admits that it is due to bad rings
Of course it shouldn't, I just don't think its a reliability issue. Maybe I'm just used to oil burning cars.

My Saturn is even worse... But it still runs like a champ.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

My read says that their (NOT MINE) definition of "normal" is 1 qt per 3,000 miles. Mechanic (private, non-Nissan) tells me that's normal these days. I'm not buying it based on my experience, but I've got 108k miles, so I'll live w/ it.
Yes, 1 quart per 3000 miles is considered normal. The only thing I know Nissan claims is if more than a quart is burned in 1000 miles, that is excessive.

I know my car is using oil (a quart every 1200-1500 miles now) but some of that is definitely leakage, I can smell it occasionally on left turns when it drips down onto the exhaust. Both valve covers are leaking and spark plug change is due at the rate I drive by the end of the year so I am debating whether or not to spend the money on plugs and valve covers on an engine that by then will have 190,000+ miles on it, or just replace my engine with a low mileage used one.