5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Koni Yellow Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Koni Yellow Install

I recently got a set of 00-03 Koni Yellows, and after searching a bit, it seems that I have to cut the oem assembly to house the front struts? Is this right, or does that only apply when using 4th gen Koni struts? Does anyone who has done this install have any advice?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

5th gens also.

In the words of Irish "to much work, even for me". Thats the real reason I am shying away from using the Koni's. Id rather assembly a whole new assembly (Like the Tokico Illumina and Eibach springs) and make it an R/R.

I have heard that the Illuminias and the Yellow are similiar, with the Yellows edging the Illuminas a slight bit. But ease of installation and adjustment give the nod to the Illuminas in my book.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
5th gens also.

In the words of Irish "to much work, even for me". Thats the real reason I am shying away from using the Koni's. Id rather assembly a whole new assembly (Like the Tokico Illumina and Eibach springs) and make it an R/R.

I have heard that the Illuminias and the Yellow are similiar, with the Yellows edging the Illuminas a slight bit. But ease of installation and adjustment give the nod to the Illuminas in my book.
I have personally tried Illuminas and Yellow with Eibachs and H&R, there is no way the Illuminas is even close to the Yellow. The worst part of the install is to cut the front struts, drain the oil and clean up the mess. It takes about an hour more to install the Yellow compared to Illuminas. I can't be happier with H&R paired with Koni now.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by bsetiawan
I have personally tried Illuminas and Yellow with Eibachs and H&R, there is no way the Illuminas is even close to the Yellow. The worst part of the install is to cut the front struts, drain the oil and clean up the mess. It takes about an hour more to install the Yellow compared to Illuminas. I can't be happier with H&R paired with Koni now.
What was your specific complaint against the Illumina? I dont think I have the correct tools at this time to crack open a strut cartridge.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 AM

What was your specific complaint against the Illumina? I dont think I have the correct tools at this time to crack open a strut cartridge.
I am not complaining bout the Illuminas, I just feel that the Illuminas feel harsher when hitting a bump. The adjusting **** is also not as solid as the Konis, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I am not complaining bout the Illuminas, I just feel that the Illuminas feel harsher when hitting a bump. The adjusting **** is also not as solid as the Konis, just my 2 cents.
I have not seen a picture of the Koni's. I was "told" that they adjust from the bottom. I did not find that a pleasing thought. So the Illuminas gave a more comfortable ride. Not as "sport car-ish". But you got much more control and less dive, correct?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 AM

I have not seen a picture of the Koni's. I was "told" that they adjust from the bottom. I did not find that a pleasing thought. So the Illuminas gave a more comfortable ride. Not as "sport car-ish". But you got much more control and less dive, correct?
I thought you've already gotten a set of Konis yourself ? To me, I personally feel the Koni is more comfortable than the Illuminas especially with H&R. But each man to his own; some people may like it the other way round. Irish likes his Eibach while I find it kinda jarring on the freeway. My upper and lower teeth are fighting against one another with Eibach but not with H&R.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I thought you've already gotten a set of Konis yourself ? To me, I personally feel the Koni is more comfortable than the Illuminas especially with H&R. But each man to his own; some people may like it the other way round. Irish likes his Eibach while I find it kinda jarring on the freeway. My upper and lower teeth are fighting against one another with Eibach but not with H&R.
Well, my Daily Driver is a 91 MR2 on coilovers. Its a kidney punching machine. I am due for suspension for the Maxima and done a lot of research and a lot seems to conflict. When I go from the MR2 to the maxima...feels like I am driving a 75 Delta 88.

I want some middle ground. I dont want the stock feel, nor the MR2 feel. Somewhere in the middle is what I am looking for. Cutting open the strut is something I can do with the toolset I currently have. So that gives me a large negative just in that alone.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Well, my Daily Driver is a 91 MR2 on coilovers. Its a kidney punching machine. I am due for suspension for the Maxima and done a lot of research and a lot seems to conflict. When I go from the MR2 to the maxima...feels like I am driving a 75 Delta 88.

I want some middle ground. I dont want the stock feel, nor the MR2 feel. Somewhere in the middle is what I am looking for. Cutting open the strut is something I can do with the toolset I currently have. So that gives me a large negative just in that alone.
In that case, you have to get someone around your area to give you a ride with different setup then. To me, it is worth the effort to install the Konis and I do not really have the need to adjust the rears once I've set it the way I like.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM

I had Koni yellows and Eibachs in a '94 Mustang GT I had years ago and that combination was the **** IMO. My Maxima is still bone stock and I really don't want to muck around with it too much. I might get some better struts/shocks though. Any recommendations for someone looking for better response/control without upsetting the already reasonably poor ride quality?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Konis are pretty simple to install. They are worth it, hands down they are the best shock out there. The fronts adjust from the top, and the rears need to be removed to adjust. Its the same as the 4th gen. I recommend shortening them for added travel.