5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finding the cure for Bose subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Finding the cure for Bose subwoofer

My stock sub has a really annoying problem of cutting in and out no matter how high the bass is turned up. I searched through some threads and found this:
Originally Posted by jazzyjay
Ok here it is down and dirty. There are three wires(black, orange and blue) going into the switch beside the sub and two wires(orange and black) leading out. On the side with the two wires, splice into the Orange wire and connect it to a + power source. I hooked mine to the red wire powering the trunk light bulb. Maybe one day I will do a nice write up.
My wiring doesn't seem to be the same as the description. Can anyone make sense of this? Do the colors change from certain years?

The 'red' in this pic is actually orange.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSCN0678.jpg
Other side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/monty31/hand.jpg
Old 07-27-2006, 04:04 PM

bump* anyone?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 PM

no idea, but i hooked my aftermarket amps line level inputs up to the output of the circuit board inside that black plastic peice around the sub, works ****ing great, what you should do is try putting a DC voltmeter on the output from the mini amp/crossover in the sub in that picture above and try and determine if it is the sub or the circuit board, then go from there
Old 07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I had the same problem, but ignored it until I put my MTX 12's in. But, I was reading on here recently that the little black box that plugs into the sub has solder joints that can come lose. You may want to look into that, too.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 PM

the sub connects to the little black box via flat quick connects... the circuit board INSIDE the little black box has MANY solder points though
Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
† ErV †

i'll give you the solution in very unclear terms, what you do is up to you... you can of course always replace it with a 33330" aftermarket sub

there is a bypass cable that hooks up to some kind of a small black box/whatever. it is stuck somewhere to the side of the woofer. remove it and hook up the sub straight to the plug that comes from the frame wiring.

the little box is there for one purpose: to eliminate the pop you hear when you power up and down the system/car. mine malfunctioned long ago and it drove me mad.. till i god rid of this pos and hooked the sub directly to the stock socket.

if you look, can't miss it

Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 AM

Buy an open air 8" sub and a small amp to power it. Thats what I am going to do very soon. The bose sub sucks, I just bought my car and its rattling like crazy (its blown)
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Are you sure it's the sub that's blown and not the rear deck rattling? Our cars are notorious for this.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:36 PM

I removed the "black box"... which wires are the positive and negative used to directly hook up the sub to the harness wires?

Originally Posted by † ErV †
i'll give you the solution in very unclear terms, what you do is up to you... you can of course always replace it with a 33330" aftermarket sub

there is a bypass cable that hooks up to some kind of a small black box/whatever. it is stuck somewhere to the side of the woofer. remove it and hook up the sub straight to the plug that comes from the frame wiring.

the little box is there for one purpose: to eliminate the pop you hear when you power up and down the system/car. mine malfunctioned long ago and it drove me mad.. till i god rid of this pos and hooked the sub directly to the stock socket.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased a 2001 SE and the stock sub was missing. Nissan wanted almost $700 for a replacement sub. I just replaced the head unit(XM ready), ran new wiring, and aftermarket sub and amp for under $700. I got tired of trying to figure out the stupid stock amp. Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 PM

Cool...brands and models?

Originally Posted by davisenvy
I purchased a 2001 SE and the stock sub was missing. Nissan wanted almost $700 for a replacement sub. I just replaced the head unit(XM ready), ran new wiring, and aftermarket sub and amp for under $700. I got tired of trying to figure out the stupid stock amp. Just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:50 PM

I'd like to hear how you accomplished this.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 PM

Pics of the new wiring w/ the "black box" removed would help a lot...
Old 08-14-2006, 12:32 AM

If anyone is interested in putting in a new free air 8 inch sub..I just did so...The ID sub is great..will take some time to get the bass eq and gains set right...just look in the audio forums for a thread called proud new owner of ID v8 sub.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:15 AM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by jenk01SE
I removed the "black box"... which wires are the positive and negative used to directly hook up the sub to the harness wires?

it's a socket plug, it should only go one way. i can take some photos tomorrow if needed (haven't read all the new replies yet)

Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 AM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by monty31
Pics of the new wiring w/ the "black box" removed would help a lot...
ok. once the sun comes up and i get dressed enough to wander outside lol

Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM

the little box is there for one purpose: to eliminate the pop you hear when you power up and down the system/car.if you look, can't miss it
I am not tring to argue here...

how is that possible.... seems like a waste AND it doen't work...

i have this black box plugged into an amp and it pops everytime i start the car....maybe cause it is amplified but still seems like a waste i will look at it again tonight and see what it might be for my own curiosity.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 PM
† ErV †

here is how mine is plugged in after the black box (whatever it does - i am not going to argue, do not care what it does, do not care why it is there) died on me and caused the sub to cut out intermittently:

the cable from the car plugs in straight into the sub after you take the cable in between them out.

like so

fits right in...

i've had it this way for over 2 years now. i had to do some wire untangling to get to it i think but it's not that bad. you don't have to take the rear deck out. i think i just popped the bose (take the cover off, unscrew the sub and lift it from inside the car) sub out and put it back in from inside the car. easier imo than taking everything out from the trunk.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 AM

mine does the same cutting in and out. your talking about this black box???? I have no black box beside my subwoofer or anywhere around my subwoofer. does it matter that I have a AE??? or do you have pictures of this black box. b/c in the pictures above i don't see any black box.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:12 PM
† ErV †

no i discarded of it long long ago.

look at the plugs. in stock setup there are two wrapped around in black rubber and some other stuff.

i am not aware of any changes to the sub design so i dont know what to tell you. the black box is maybe 2x1 inches and it was pretty well shoved somewhere in there. you will probably never see it unless you pop the sub out and look.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:10 PM

I don't think I have a black box either...Maybe it was only in 2000 maximas?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:16 PM
† ErV †

post a pic of the connectors.. that will help.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I must be the only person here with a fully working Bose system in my 5th gen.I get great play back from homemade cds.Maybe I just got lucky.I get fair thump and no trunk rattle.
Yeah the bass doesnt shake windows down the block, but I'm adding a pioneer 12" sub and 380watt amp.
That should add a little low end.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Yeah, screw the Bose sub... Mine has never worked, except for a few (<5) times for a few seconds. Here's a pic of the "black box," only one I could find conveniently. It's underneath the black form.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Hahaha^ Nope, definitely don't have that on my unit. Must have been fazed out for 2001. I took my sub appart and soddered the power and ground connections which seems to have made a little difference (bass stays on longer before cutting out). What's funny is that if I beat on the sub with my hand after it's cut out it works again...
Old 08-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Heh, sounds like mine. Was driving downhill for 2 seconds and was like, "Whoa! Low end!" Then it left again..
Old 08-27-2006, 06:42 AM

yep i don't have that box either in my 2001. I'll have to try the soldering thing.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:04 PM

here is how mine is plugged in after the black box (whatever it does - i am not going to argue, do not care what it does, do not care why it is there) died on me and caused the sub to cut out intermittently:

the cable from the car plugs in straight into the sub after you take the cable in between them out.

like so

fits right in...

i've had it this way for over 2 years now. i had to do some wire untangling to get to it i think but it's not that bad. you don't have to take the rear deck out. i think i just popped the bose (take the cover off, unscrew the sub and lift it from inside the car) sub out and put it back in from inside the car. easier imo than taking everything out from the trunk.
when you said 'black box', i took that to mean the black enclosure on the bottom of the speaker! i tried to bypass that and it does not work (for anyone else that thought like i did). i've given up and will fork out the money for replacing the entire bose system (crap).
Old 08-31-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ The black enclosure on the bottom of the sub is actually the sub amp. You don't really need to replace everything Bose; just the headunit and sub.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
^ The black enclosure on the bottom of the sub is actually the sub amp. You don't really need to replace everything Bose; just the headunit and sub.
Yeah, I realized what the device was once I had torn it apart!

What is the other electrical device that looks like an amp that resides under the parcel shelf (passenger side)? I thought that was the subwoofer amp...

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Hoooper

heres how i fixed mine:

sorry the pic is huge, mods can remove if they want

Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 PM

Tell you how I fixed mine!:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=489892

Funny- the blose issue played a huge role in my solution.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by piglit
Tell you how I fixed mine!:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=489892

Funny- the blose issue played a huge role in my solution.
thats a crappy fix, id rather have a crackly stereo

Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 PM
amimaxima

swap everything out and go all after market

Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

What is the other electrical device that looks like an amp that resides under the parcel shelf (passenger side)? I thought that was the subwoofer amp...
From what I've read, that's the amp for the rear speakers.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 AM

wow, I thought the box under the passenger side was the sub amp also, thanks for the info.

Hooper, what size sub did you replace the bose one with? that looks nice, and how does it sound, I have a 10" sub that's in a box right now, I might have to try that out if it fits.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by asianstyle
wow, I thought the box under the passenger side was the sub amp also, thanks for the info.

Hooper, what size sub did you replace the bose one with? that looks nice, and how does it sound, I have a 10" sub that's in a box right now, I might have to try that out if it fits.
i used an 8", but its supposedly a 900watt sub so it actually sounds pretty good. i have it tuned just right so if i want bass i can have it and can turn it way down if i dont want it just by using the stock radio. you probly wouldnt be able to get a 10 in there as the 8 is just barely small enough

Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
i used an 8", but its supposedly a 900watt sub so it actually sounds pretty good. i have it tuned just right so if i want bass i can have it and can turn it way down if i dont want it just by using the stock radio. you probly wouldnt be able to get a 10 in there as the 8 is just barely small enough
Were you still able to have the Bose woofer speaker cover installed?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Z

Sound deadening did WONDERS to my OEM Bose sub. The bass is incredible. I've totally eliminated my plans of redoing the system.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Sound deadening did WONDERS to my OEM Bose sub. The bass is incredible. I've totally eliminated my plans of redoing the system.
+1, Second Skin Audio FTW!!!! The bass now in my car sounds "contained" and "tighter" (non-tech adjective coming from a non-audio person), but also much louder somehow.

Quick Reply: Finding the cure for Bose subwoofer