5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Funny viberation in steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 AM

Funny viberation in steering wheel.

Does any one have a funny viberation in the streering wheel.
If the bearing, or mount were to break will that cause a squeaking, or give viberation in the steering.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm on the same boat as you. Have alot of vibration and I can feel it on my wheel and gas pedal.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it when you are braking? If so it may be warped rotors.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I only get it when I'm accelrating and/or crusing at high speed.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
I only get it when I'm accelrating and/or crusing at high speed.

I also have that problem at high speed.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:19 PM

I also have that problem when cruising above 50.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Seoul Man

I have a heavy vibration through the steering wheel at speeds above 65. I got my tires balanced, and that helped a little bit, but the vibration is still there.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax
I have a heavy vibration through the steering wheel at speeds above 65. I got my tires balanced, and that helped a little bit, but the vibration is still there.
yeah, same here. i went and got the high speed balance (i think that's what it's called) because the place where i got my new wheels only balances it up to 60 MPH so i asked them to balance it at a higher speed. the vibration is still there but it's slight now. the vibration occurs more when i'm braking from a high speed and the whole car seems to be shaking.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

Bent rim? Old tires (high spots)?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by paulfromchicago
yeah, same here. i went and got the high speed balance (i think that's what it's called) because the place where i got my new wheels only balances it up to 60 MPH so i asked them to balance it at a higher speed. the vibration is still there but it's slight now. the vibration occurs more when i'm braking from a high speed and the whole car seems to be shaking.
If you're noticing it when braking, you probably either have warped rotors or your brake pads have left uneven material deposits on your brake rotors. Try getting the pads replaced and the rotors machined, or try replacing the pads and rotors. If you're still using the OEM pads, then this is a common problem, and you might want to consider switching to a new kind of pad.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 AM

If you're noticing it when braking, you probably either have warped rotors or your brake pads have left uneven material deposits on your brake rotors. Try getting the pads replaced and the rotors machined, or try replacing the pads and rotors. If you're still using the OEM pads, then this is a common problem, and you might want to consider switching to a new kind of pad.
thanks for the info, i'll definetly get it checked the moment i have a day off. how much would new pads run me (i AM using the OEM pads).
Old 07-12-2006, 02:55 PM

Had the same problem about a month ago with the heavy vibration in the steering wheel above 55mph and under braking. I thought I had warped rotors, so I replaced the front rotors and pads and noticed that my front tires were highly warn on the inside....really bad feathering. Once the brakes were replaced their was still vibration but not as violent under braking. I got a set of new tires for the front and got them mounted and balanced and did a 4 wheel alignment. I've driven the car ever since with practically no vibration. Only slight vibration above or around 80mph on the highway. Tires used were Kumho ECSTA ASX (KU21), brakes used were the OEM spec Brembos at about $50 a piece, and Hawk HPS street pads at $65 for fronts. All items were purchased at tirerack.com. So far so good, no vibration and less brake dust!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:10 PM

Same here

I've got the same problem, when I'm on the highway doing anything over 60 I get a nice firm vibrating steering wheel... I took mine back to the shop becuase the tires have about 12K on them and they have been rotated and balanced on time.. When I first got the new tires, the car glided when doing 75... I miss that
I'm running (non performance) stock tire $90 special @ Tire Kingdom...

-I asked him to check if the tires where out of round, and check the balance

-Mechanic said everything is fine for balance and tires are not out of round, but the tires wore unevenly.. The actual tread... The tread wore out in a checker board pattern... That's a little hard to swollow... but whatever...

-I've also found, this is only once and a while, I'll be braking from 55 or 45 mph, down to 25 or 15 and while I'm coasting, the car seems to rock a little left and right, like the wheels were the shape of eggs...

-I'm taking it back to the same shop, he said he'd check it again since the tires are under warranty...
Old 07-12-2006, 04:47 PM

if your braking then its the rotors
if your driving then get an alignment
Old 07-12-2006, 06:18 PM

I had Vibrating at high speeds and when braking. Got my front rotors machined and it went away. I had smooth driving for about 10,000 miles, and now it feels like it's returning. What a POS.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by bremner44
I had Vibrating at high speeds and when braking. Got my front rotors machined and it went away. I had smooth driving for about 10,000 miles, and now it feels like it's returning. What a POS.
If you keep getting that vibration when braking, it's probably just your OEM pads depositing material unevenly on your brake rotors as I said before. Most shops will say that your rotors are warped, and machining the rotors really does help with this problem, but unless you get new pads, it will just happen again.

Switch away from OEM brake pads next time.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ive got exactly the same problem but it seems to stop a bit when i hit 80mph so i got the tires balanced and rotated and it stopped some but its still there. You guys think i should get a 4 wheel alignment???? btw i also started having more road noise ever since i got the rotation and balancing.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Sounds like rotors and/or allignment issues.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:44 PM
VaporHead

I have a vibration as well from my wife smacking a curb. Thought it was a tire balance problem, it wasnt. Thought it was a bad tire, it wasnt. Was not a brake problem. Got all new tires, vibration was lessened, but still there. It is my front hub/bearing. Bearings are "pressed" in and prolly need to be removed by a machinist, not a big problem and not that expensive. Try that and it should remove that vibration. If it were brakes, it will only happen when applying brake.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know what's wrong with my car, because i have the same problem. Any speed >50mph i get a vibration. I've had my tires balanced several times and it's done it ever since i got them. I just got an alignment, and I have all new brakes. I've been fighting it ever since i got my new tires, so from what i can see, all there is to do is get new tires, which i can't afford to do until i absolutely need them. I don't thinking I'll be getting the Falken 512's again.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
I don't know what's wrong with my car, because i have the same problem. Any speed >50mph i get a vibration. I've had my tires balanced several times and it's done it ever since i got them. I just got an alignment, and I have all new brakes. I've been fighting it ever since i got my new tires, so from what i can see, all there is to do is get new tires, which i can't afford to do until i absolutely need them. I don't thinking I'll be getting the Falken 512's again.
Check your bearings!!!!! If you have a bad bearing/hub, the vibration will transfer up to your steering wheel. With some tires, you will notice it even more. You can sometimes verify it's a bearing/nub by putting the car on jack stands and see if you tire has any "play" in it.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 PM

i have a funny vibration.

i laugh uncontrollably every time i hit the brakes, lolz
Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
Check your bearings!!!!! If you have a bad bearing/hub, the vibration will transfer up to your steering wheel. With some tires, you will notice it even more. You can sometimes verify it's a bearing/nub by putting the car on jack stands and see if you tire has any "play" in it.
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that I already did that, and there wasn't a hair of play....
Old 07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
VaporHead

A bad (bent) drive axle? Tie rods, though these are detectable by seeing if there is play in wheel which you said there wasnt. Swap your rear tires to the front and see if it goes away. If you got a bad set of tires, they will cause vibration and the tires will balance fine. Good luck!