5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some Ideas on How to inject structural foam into the SFCs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sciff5
Thank You! Thats the type of answer I was looking for but I dont know what a squeeze bulb siphon is or where to get it. Where would I get one?
or just ask at any hardware store, auto shop, even ag/pet supplies.

Just for the record though, I don't think you need to foam your SFCs to gain structural strength. In fact, I think they're overbuilt as they are. But I can kind of understand if you want to foam them to keep moisture out and prevent rusting. However, I think this is overkill as well because your chassis will likely rust through long before your SFCs do. But hey, whatever. If you still choose to foam your SFCs, so be it. Have fun and don't mind the naysayers.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Anyway...back to the question at hand. If you are still interested in foaming your SFCs or any other tight enclosed space, I would suggest a squeeze-bulb siphon, such as those used for pumping gas out of tanks. They are cheap and have a large enough bore to accomodate the viscous foam mixture. Before you begin, replace the original outlet tube of the siphon with one that is long enough to run the entire length of the cavity you want to fill. Drill a hole in one end of the SFCs. Thread the siphon through the hole all the way down the other end of the SFCs. As you pump the foam mix in, slowly pull the siphon tube out. That way, you get an even fill. Good luck! Hope that helps.
I just bought 2 of them from autozone and when I tried them with water all they did was leak and were complete crap.. I am still looking for a good way to do this. Autozone had a nicer model but it was 13$ instead of the 99 cent squeeze bulb siphons.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Anyway...back to the question at hand. If you are still interested in foaming your SFCs or any other tight enclosed space, I would suggest a squeeze-bulb siphon, such as those used for pumping gas out of tanks. They are cheap and have a large enough bore to accomodate the viscous foam mixture. Before you begin, replace the original outlet tube of the siphon with one that is long enough to run the entire length of the cavity you want to fill. Drill a hole in one end of the SFCs. Thread the siphon through the hole all the way down the other end of the SFCs. As you pump the foam mix in, slowly pull the siphon tube out. That way, you get an even fill. Good luck! Hope that helps.
I just bought 2 of them from autozone and when I tried them with water all they did was leak and were complete crap.. I am still looking for a good way to do this. Autozone had a nicer model but it was 13$ instead of the 99 cent squeeze bulb siphons.

For 13$ I dont think I am going to destroy one to test it out and see if it works on the foam
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have discovered an awesome way to do something like this. Graco makes a core tubing gun that you could add pressure to the foam and drill a single hole insert the tube and just squeeze and pull. I'm Actually planing on sourcing one for my self and when I do I will offer sfcs with this already done.

Thanks,

Sean