5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Found out 2002 SE I'm looking at is an off-rental.. what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:34 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by geenowalker
I can assure you that the ford taurus and toyota camry when being used as a rental car, can survive a 4 acre cornfield, and speed bumps at 70 mph. Trust me. If you buy a rental that used to be in philly, you may still find the cornstalks in the engine compartment.
Maxima owners have been known, and in fact videotaped, for doing worse.

Next.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:41 AM

whats "Next"?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by geenowalker
whats "Next"?
A legitimate argument against buying a rental.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 AM

You work for Enterprise or something?
Old 06-30-2006, 06:09 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by TXT-1
You work for Enterprise or something?
No. I just don't buy this crap.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well.......

Originally Posted by Progress
A legitimate argument against buying a rental.
Fact number 1 Rentals are abused. Fact number 2 rentals always hurt resale value. Your asking for trouble. The only legitimate reason I can up with is the guy is not in the poor house. He owns a Honda S2000 & is looking for a commuter car. Every renter of rental cars is different some abuse, some dont. You just cant be sure on what your getting. Bottom line is if you can buy a non rental from some one at a similar price " Its not like 2k2 auto maxes are rare" Then you should go that route. Hell I have never done a 4k Neutral drop in any car I have owned. But boy that GrandAm I rented many years back suffered big time. So if its not the deal of the century look elsewhere.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:10 AM

Don't buy a rental. I worked for National rental car when I was younger and believe me even that average person that drives there own car hard doesn't beat it up like people do to rental. I use to shuttle the cars from location to location and my crew would beat the **** out of the cars. WARNING WARNING RENTAL CARS ARE ABUSED BY THE RENTERS AND THE EMPLOYEES.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:19 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Kevon1
Fact number 1 Rentals are abused. Fact number 2 rentals always hurt resale value. Your asking for trouble. The only legitimate reason I can up with is the guy is not in the poor house. He owns a Honda S2000 & is looking for a commuter car. Every renter of rental cars is different some abuse, some dont. You just cant be sure on what your getting. Bottom line is if you can buy a non rental from some one at a similar price " Its not like 2k2 auto maxes are rare" Then you should go that route. Hell I have never done a 4k Neutral drop in any car I have owned. But boy that GrandAm I rented many years back suffered big time. So if its not the deal of the century look elsewhere.
1. So are leased cars.

2. Who cares about resale value if you're going to run the car into the ground and/or have it a long time? Besides, it's a Maxima; if you expect good resale value, you're looking in the wrong direction.

3. You can be sure what you're getting with a leased car?

4. He hasn't compared this car to any other car so your point is moot. If he was cross shopping two Maximas, one rental and the other lease then maybe, but that hasn't been brought up.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

I think one point to raise is that when leasing a car, it is more longterm.

Rentals are for a week or two max - you don't feel like the car is really yours, and then the feelings of "I don't care if I take 10k miles off the life of this car" start creeping up (in some people.. some people have respect for other's property.. ) In a leased car, true, you may not actually own the car, but it's going to be yours for some years to come. Also, if you do beat the **** out of it, it is going to have to be fixed and that's a hassle on you (whereas with rental, if the car is going to break, it'll be after you're done with it)

I dunno, I understand that leasing and rental are the same in the sense that in both scenarios, you don't 'own' the car - but I think leasing does command some more respect from the owner than a rental does.

Conversely, while many of us younger guys may take the opportunity to drive a rental harder than we would our own car - I think a lot of people may look at a rental as someone else's property, and drive it with more respect than they would their own car. Not everyone thinks the same way - especially when you're talking across demographics..
Old 06-30-2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
Why don't you look at what prompted him to post that; my post. You want to call me out too?
nope im just going to leave you exacly what your doing playing with your self
Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Personally, I would avoid a previous rental only because I remember what I used to do to rental cars in my younger and stupider days. Either way, rental or non-rental you are always taking a risk with a used car as far as driver history, previous maintenance etc.
Younger, stupider days? I was lighting up the tires on a Gran Prix I rented last weekend.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:03 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by danger300z
nope im just going to leave you exacly what your doing playing with your self
You're an enabler, just like the lot of 'em. Hey, I do what I'm good at!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:21 AM

With a leased car they can charge you money at the end of the lease for any damage or abuse, but the phrase "go mental on the rental" applies with rental cars. I have personally beat a rental car till the brakes were burning and smoking....And when I rented a Pathfinder while in florida I was beating the thing to death. Also remember this who puts premium fuel in a rental car that requires it.......
Old 06-30-2006, 09:30 AM
still brewin'

I think abuse doesnt always have to come in the form as driving abuse/mechanical abuse: peel outs, hard braking, speed bumps. As said before, not everyone does this. It can be something unbeknownst to everyone. Our cars require premium fuel. I for damn sure aint gonna put 91 or better in a rental. I do put 91+ in both my Maximas. I personally dont smoke and hate cigarettes. If a smoker rents a car, I believe they'll smoke in it. Just a thought.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
still brewin'

Hey boondox, what the hell. When I hit "submit reply", there your post was. We were thinking the same thing!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yayomax
Hey boondox, what the hell. When I hit "submit reply", there your post was. We were thinking the same thing!
I just can't understand anyone defending buying a rental car. Unless your getting a awesome deal why take the risk. Being a ex rental car employee I 've seen the abuse, did the abusing, and worked with the idiots that supposely PM the vehicles . And I am also a hater of smoking and even though there isn't suppose to be in smoking in the rental car what smoker follows that rule.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 AM

I wish I saw this thread eariler... I just bought a 2000 GXE that was a ex-rental...
Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

23,000 miles on a rental you know what time it is. Don't slip into that mess. You know how it is man... you buy it, it runs great for a week...month and you **** out of luck.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I C U

Rentals are actually better maintained. Scheduled Oil changes and checkups. That much is pretty guarrenteed as opposed to one or 2 owners who may or may not have taken car of thier cars. I've owned 2 Maximas that were both actually company cars. No problem other than regular wear/tear and maintenace. Just have a mechanic check it out and you'll sleep better.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 AM

I used to work for Winston Tires 6 years ago & preform the maintenance on Enterprise cars...

They would never approve a repair unless it was undriveable. Also even we would abuse those cars.

If you pour brake fluid under your tires even a Dodge Neon can do 50 foot burnouts.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by illlojik
Rentals are actually better maintained. Scheduled Oil changes and checkups. That much is pretty guarrenteed as opposed to one or 2 owners who may or may not have taken car of thier cars. I've owned 2 Maximas that were both actually company cars. No problem other than regular wear/tear and maintenace. Just have a mechanic check it out and you'll sleep better.
B.S. Yes they change the oil, but that's it. They don't do any of the schedule maintance...They are not serviced well at all. All the PM are done buy kids with no automotive experence at all..........Like I said I worked for a rental car co. and those cars are trashed to death by all. The mangers and supervisor get to drive the cars as part of the french benefits and they even beat the cars up. I've picked up cars that have been trashed and abandoned and you wanna purchase one of this cars.PLEASE. Matter a fact my wife almost brought a previous rental and I had to talk her out of it by having the truck inspected by my mechanic buddy. Come to find out all the things you use to make adjust for an alignment were all sezied. The truck was only a year old. Buddy said truck was abused.....
Old 07-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well i bought my car with 30k miles and it was a car rental and havent had any major problems with it except for a bad wheel bearing which was covered by the drivetrain warranty and my bro got a one owner with 15k miles from nissan and i feel sorry for the guy cause hes been in and out the stealership since. thankfully he still has limited warranty on it. but people might think differently. and to think that he made fun of me when i found out it was a pre rental. hehe
Old 07-03-2006, 05:24 PM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by illlojik
Rentals are better maintained then leased cars. I work at Enterprise Rent-A-Car and I was AMAZED as to how they take care of the cars. The computer system keeps track of the mileage on the car and when the oil change or scheduled maintance comes up the computer gives a list of the cars that need to be taken care of. To insure that the cars are then actually taken to be serviced, branch managers are awarded for having the cars serviced when they are supposed to be serviced and this has to be proven by the invoices from the shop which is then paid for by the corporate office and not the branch (which means the manager doesnt lose money which is yet another incentive to take care of the cars.) Yes the cars are abused by the customers and also the employees, but with the cars being maintaned and fixed as soon as something goes wrong we keep the cars in great shape. You also have to remember we are talking about a VQ, with scheduled maintanence and regular oil changes the VQ can take a beating for a million miles. You also arent going to find a definitive answer here, the only way to find out is to take it to a mechanic and get it looked at.