5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

all the info. you need for the 6th gen front brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM

Anyone know if the 6th gen calipers would work with the stock 5.5 gen rotors?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by QnzMax
Anyone know if the 6th gen calipers would work with the stock 5.5 gen rotors?
They will not. Or if they do, they'll be rather ineffective.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
They will not. Or if they do, they'll be rather ineffective.
Thanks. I'm selling my 6th gen BBK and someone with a 5.5 asked me if they could just use the rotors.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why not tell the buyer to just get the rotors too? There's no reason not to: They fit under the wheels. Seems like a no brainer.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Why not tell the buyer to just get the rotors too? There's no reason not to: They fit under the wheels. Seems like a no brainer.

[Blade]"Some motherf*ckers always trying to ice skate uphill"[/Blade]
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brackets

Ive seen this being disputed all over the forum and Id really like to hear from someone that has done it and may have even bought the 6th gen brackets and either compared em or seen that they didnt need them bc the 5.5 gen brackets work on the 6 gen calipers....DO I NEED THE BRACKETS????

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Ok, so since this is something that's becoming ever more popular here on the .org, i decided to compile all of the information you need to upgrade the front brakes on your 5th gen to the 6th gen brakes with 12.6" rotors...

First check your wheel clearance to make sure you have enough room for the brakes to fit. Measure from the center of your wheel to the inside of it, and if you don't have at LEAST 7 5/8" these brakes will not fit on your car...they do fit the 5.5 gen 17" SE wheels like a glove, but they don't fit with the 5.0 gen SE 17s...

If you do have enough clearance, the next step is to purchase what you need for the upgrade. Here are the things you need to get your hands on:

-6th gen calipers (I bought mine from Dave B. for ~$60 each)
-6th gen 12.6" rotors (I bought mine from automax's GD; brembo blanks for ~$100 shipped)
-6th gen front brake pads (Also bought from automax's GD; PBR metal masters for ~$50 shipped)
-6th gen front brake shim kit (got mine from Dave B. i think for under $20)
-Brake fluid of your choice

These are DIRECT BOLT ON for ALL 5th gens (5.0 and 5.5 alike) but you can also opt to get Matt Blehm's re-location bracket on the 5.0 gen (but not the 5.5 gen) and use your stock calipers.

Installation for me would have gone smooth if i had a right and a left caliper, but i accidentally got 2 left ones! DOH! Make sure when installing the calipers that the bleed screw is on TOP. (shown in the picture below.)

For me, the pedal feel was GREATLY improved (although this may be becuse i was running on my stock brakes at 50k). The pedal feels firm, and even after beating the **** out of my car at MSR during maxus, i didn't get an ounce of brake fade with my ATE Super Blue Dot 4 fluid.

I bed the brakes in just after installation and so far no abnormal noises or vibrations. There is great feedback from the brakes and they don't seem to lock up under extreme braking like they did before.

On a performance point of view, I could not tell any difference in acceleration. These rotors did feel really heavy, but IIRC they are only 5 or 6 lbs. heavier than stock, which also felt really heavy, so it would be pretty hard to feel any adverse affects on acceleration.

As for the paint on my calipers, i used the G2 silver paint kit. I applied the paint only where you could see the caliper from the outside, and I applied 3 coats with much more paint to spare. The decals are just stick on (I put a couple coats of clear over it just to make sure they would stay) and i got them from www.xenonmods.com

Any other useful information is welcome, as i believe this is all i have. Good luck to anyone that attempts it, and in my eyes, it was a very worth while mod.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Are you trying to run the 5.5 torque member with 6th gen calipers and rotors? Im gonna take a guess and say no. The caliper might bolt up but the 6th gen rotor probably wont fit under the torque member. It is fatter and has a bigger diameter.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2000MilkedMax
Ive seen this being disputed all over the forum and Id really like to hear from someone that has done it and may have even bought the 6th gen brackets and either compared em or seen that they didnt need them bc the 5.5 gen brackets work on the 6 gen calipers....DO I NEED THE BRACKETS????
From the post you quoted:

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
These are DIRECT BOLT ON for ALL 5th gens (5.0 and 5.5 alike) but you can also opt to get Matt Blehm's re-location bracket on the 5.0 gen (but not the 5.5 gen) and use your stock calipers.

As a 5.5 gen, you cannot use your stock calipers. You must buy the 6th gen calipers. The only re-location bracket made is for the 5.0 gen calipers to adapt to the 6th gen rotors...there is no bracket made for 5.5 gens.

In summation: If you get 6th gen rotors, calipers, and pads/hardware everything is plug and play. No bracket needed.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Brackets

And these are what you mean when you say brackets correct?

When I already went and got some off a 6th gen any how...figured rather safe than sorry...But when I get on it this weekend ill make sure to take pics comparing the two side by side and post em. So this would be put to rest.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2000MilkedMax
And these are what you mean when you say brackets correct?

No, thats called a "torque member". The brackets are made by Matt Blehm to relocate the torque member to accommodate bigger rotors with various calipers. You wont need his bracket if you have the 6th gen calipers.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Oh, bc that is what the salvage yard refers to as brackets :shrugs: And so was I...Good thing I got em. But I understood i didnt need his bracket.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

All went well :-)

Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Been looking through the entire brake thread and still haven't found a solution to the rear. If your going to run the 6th gen brakes on the front, what is a good solution for an 01 rear setup? I'm assuming since the 5.5 have a larger front brake the rear rotors should be larger as well too. So has anyone completed a larger rear rotor on an 00-01? If so what did you use and does it require a different caliper..?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm definitely upgrading this weekend.. thanks a lot!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM

I have 2005 17" wheels from a Maxima SL on my 01 GLE. I'm guessing it is safe to assume that this should fit in my car since they are 6th gen oem.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need new bolts?

Hi, Gang. I've been enlisted to help my buddy do this fix. First of all, thanks for the great info. Here's one question that I haven't seen a specific answer to so it's probably not an issue. But I thought I'd ask. I've got a 2002 Maxima SE. Can I reuse the caliper mounting bolts from the 5.5 to the 6 gen calipers? I'm ordering remanufactured calipers from Autozone. Should I order any bolts, too?

Thanks

Dan
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 AM

Another question people, are you doing the same for the rear? BBK from 6th gen? want to know so i can buy everything in 1 shot.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM

Beating a dead horse are we?

No upgrade for the rears in this wirte up. Most of the bigger brake options for the maxima are centered around just upgrading the front brakes. This helps increase resistence to brake fade but can actually throw off brake bias and increase stopping distances.. Not really ideal for a street car.

I did this setup on my car with stock rear brakes with hawk hps pads and it works great. The pads really make the biggest difference. They dont fade, or at least I never faded them coming down from pretty much any speed my stock car could hit. Only downside is they do dust and are noisy compared to the silent oem pads most people are used to.

But you'll find this with any high performance pad. I even found this on the stock pads that come on high performance cars. I drove an EVO MR on a cold day and moving the car around the parking lot the brakes sounded like a city bus
Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 AM

Wheels to fit over brakes

I did this front brake upgrade about 6 months ago and have been very happy with them compared to multiple full replacements of the OEM gear on my 2000 max.

I bought new 18" wheels to fit over the brakes and put summer rubber on them. Now winter is coming and the 16's that came with the car wont fit over the bigger brakes.

So I need some new winter wheels... I heard some 17s fit and some don't. Is there a good way to tell? Like the 02-03 17's fit but not the 00-01 17s... What about aftermarket? I would prefer to buy 17s for winter rather than 18s again, but don't want to buy 17s and find out they don't fit.

Thanks,
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by d3van
I did this front brake upgrade about 6 months ago and have been very happy with them compared to multiple full replacements of the OEM gear on my 2000 max.

I bought new 18" wheels to fit over the brakes and put summer rubber on them. Now winter is coming and the 16's that came with the car wont fit over the bigger brakes.

So I need some new winter wheels... I heard some 17s fit and some don't. Is there a good way to tell? Like the 02-03 17's fit but not the 00-01 17s... What about aftermarket? I would prefer to buy 17s for winter rather than 18s again, but don't want to buy 17s and find out they don't fit.

Thanks,

Just get the 17s from the SE 02-03s. They should be pretty cheap

www.car-part.com and craigslist and ebay would be where I'de be going for winter wheels. The smaller the wheel that fits over your brakes the better for winter wheels/tires just because it will reduce the cost for the tires.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM

does any one know if the the 350z rotors work with the 6th gen calipars on my5.5 gen
Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM

I hate to bump an old thread, but I dont see any reason to start a new one. This is pretty crucial info for anyone doing the 6th gen BBK.

I have a 01 I30t (17x7 +45 offset rims) and the BBK WILL fit under the stock 17s. I repeat it WILL fit. So anyone looking to do this on their I30 is in luck. I have pictures I will update later with my test fittiment.

anyways, presumably the spoke design on the i30t rims is much wider than the maxima 5.0 SE rims. I have approx 1.3cm of clearance from the caliper to spoke.

pictures for proof to come.....
Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by pattyt
I hate to bump an old thread, but I dont see any reason to start a new one. This is pretty crucial info for anyone doing the 6th gen BBK.

I have a 01 I30t (17x7 +45 offset rims) and the BBK WILL fit under the stock 17s. I repeat it WILL fit. So anyone looking to do this on their I30 is in luck. I have pictures I will update later with my test fittiment.

anyways, presumably the spoke design on the i30t rims is much wider than the maxima 5.0 SE rims. I have approx 1.3cm of clearance from the caliper to spoke.

pictures for proof to come.....
I've always said that was B.S. since I have a 5.5gen and a neighbor of mine had a 2000 and the wheels spacing, spoke distance from the rotor face was identical to mine as well as the I.D. of the wheel rim itself....but that may have been the case only when using the 2004 6th Gen setup.....I used the 2005 6th Gen setup which was cheaper for some unknown reason, but looked to be identical....I hate believing anything that you hear especially when there's no proof....
Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by CMax03
I've always said that was B.S. since I have a 5.5gen and a neighbor of mine had a 2000 and the wheels spacing, spoke distance from the rotor face was identical to mine as well as the I.D. of the wheel rim itself....but that may have been the case only when using the 2004 6th Gen setup.....I used the 2005 6th Gen setup which was cheaper for some unknown reason, but looked to be identical....I hate believing anything that you hear especially when there's no proof....
No one has ever questioned the I30 00-01 design, it was only the 00-01 Maxima.

Are you saying your neighbor has 00-01 Maxima and those wheels clear the A34 brakes?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM

i can verify that with the 00-01 17s, they do fit...i didnt bolt it on without my spacer...but i put it on, made sure it was 'as mounted' rolled the wheel and tire, and i heard one scrape...its not like it will absolutely not fit, but i do have a 5mm spacer to ensure absolute clearance, as the 02-03 wheels are just a +5 offset difference than the 00-01 wheels
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Alright, so I have been considering upgrading my 5.5G SE with the 6G BBK, but I am concerned about the bias. It is strickly a daily driver with 115K on the clock but I'm tired of the stock rotors warping and I do love the look of the BBK.

What do you guys think of a 6G BBK and an aggressive (stock size) rear rotor and/or pad? Stock 6G fronts with something along the lines of slotted rotor and hawk pads in back.

Would it be enough to offset the "dangerous" bias? What are your thoughts?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 PM

I was also going to ask about bbk kits. There is a group buy going on for wilwood kits and I'm curious to see if my gle 5.5 wheels will work they are 17s or if i am going to have to run my 18s year round the 18s are 04 max wheels with et of 40
Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by girvinman
Alright, so I have been considering upgrading my 5.5G SE with the 6G BBK, but I am concerned about the bias. It is strickly a daily driver with 115K on the clock but I'm tired of the stock rotors warping and I do love the look of the BBK.

What do you guys think of a 6G BBK and an aggressive (stock size) rear rotor and/or pad? Stock 6G fronts with something along the lines of slotted rotor and hawk pads in back.

Would it be enough to offset the "dangerous" bias? What are your thoughts?
Theres no dangerous bias... 5.5 gen or 6th gen brakes up front the braking bias still blows. If you want to know how terrible it is disable ABS and do an emergency stop.. The front tires regardless will lockup and slide weeks before the rear tires have a chance.

ABS kinda hides the bias issues.

You're overthinking things.. These are passenger sedans.. not sports cars. I would upgrade the brakes just to stop the stupid rotor warping issues. My rotors were constantly warped with the stock brakes.

Never had an issue since I upgraded
Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 PM

sorry for the delay on the pics...as promised here they are. Just a few notes:
I never did say people said they wouldnt fit, but no one out there said they would so im just letting everyone know they do fit for future reference.

Just a note on the pictures, I did have the 5.0 gen rotors still on, I just bolted up the 2008 6th gen torque member and caliper to test fit. As you can see a finger and a micrometer easily fits in between the caliper/torque member. Clearance was 1.34cm (13.4mm ....way more than I ever expected).

Last pic is my car with 17" g37 sedan wheels bolted up (my fathers), they also have 12.6" rotors, but a 2 piston caliper. Which BTW the 17" I30t rotors also clear that setup. (we were swapping rims all around between cars). Just an idea for anyone lol.

Anyone have any recomendations on paint colours for the calipers? Initially i wanted the Brembo style gold, but now I dont know whether or not just to go black. Thoughts?

17" g37x sedan rims +45 offset.

Last edited by pattyt; 03-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Just to note- I've been using some of the RPT rotors from automax and hawk HPS pads and have had zero problems in over 30k miles with any warping. This is with stock calipers.

There's no way I could do this 6th gen BBK since that would keep me from using 15" wheels for the track (F*CK that), and I'm sure there are others who like to do the same.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
No one has ever questioned the I30 00-01 design, it was only the 00-01 Maxima.

Are you saying your neighbor has 00-01 Maxima and those wheels clear the A34 brakes?
yes! 2005 calipers, where was the contact @? the spoke distance from the rotor face are Identical, the I.D. of the rim are identical!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Theres no dangerous bias... 5.5 gen or 6th gen brakes up front the braking bias still blows. If you want to know how terrible it is disable ABS and do an emergency stop.. The front tires regardless will lockup and slide weeks before the rear tires have a chance.

ABS kinda hides the bias issues.

You're overthinking things.. These are passenger sedans.. not sports cars. I would upgrade the brakes just to stop the stupid rotor warping issues. My rotors were constantly warped with the stock brakes.

Never had an issue since I upgraded
Upgraded since 2003 on my 2003....never had another issue either! We drive on the freways around here @ 70-80 around our loop system and one panic stop from those speed instantaneously warps stock 5/5.5thGen brakes....I 've never worried about the balance Bias and I've stopped this vehicle from 130 mph 3x the frirst I put them on with Hawk HPS pads and I love the freakin 6th Gen retrofit upgrade it's painless... LOGOS!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Just to note- I've been using some of the RPT rotors from automax and hawk HPS pads and have had zero problems in over 30k miles with any warping. This is with stock calipers.

There's no way I could do this 6th gen BBK since that would keep me from using 15" wheels for the track (F*CK that), and I'm sure there are others who like to do the same.
i know of someone w/ the 6th gen bbk using 300zx wheels...he said they rub a little bit, but nothing extreme...on that note, looks like ill eventually be getting some 300zx wheels for the track
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i know of someone w/ the 6th gen bbk using 300zx wheels...he said they rub a little bit, but nothing extreme...on that note, looks like ill eventually be getting some 300zx wheels for the track
Those are 16s. Just less sidewall and less tire options, but still a viable option. Jaypee runs on 16" DRs.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM

yea , besides...im not expecting mind boggling times anyway....a high 14 would do me great
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM

for researchers wondering if the 5th gen wheels will fit behind the 6th gen bbk...yes they will, im speaking as i'm riding w/o a spacer, strictly 5th gen 17" wheels...whoever said it wont fit....was wrong. because its working
Old 05-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Hey all. Just wondering which pads would with these? 6th Gen or 5.5 gen? Because the torque member is not being changed I would think the 6th gen pads might not fit? Just wanna be 100% before going ahead.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Toolie

what about 16" steelies for the winter?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by DragonX0104
Hey all. Just wondering which pads would with these? 6th Gen or 5.5 gen? Because the torque member is not being changed I would think the 6th gen pads might not fit? Just wanna be 100% before going ahead.
Nevermind....figured it out. Wasn't awake when posting the question....
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DragonX0104
Nevermind....figured it out. Wasn't awake when posting the question....
For verification, only the 6th gen pads will work. I have a set of hawk HPS if you need.

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
what about 16" steelies for the winter?
If I had to guess, I'd say no.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-11-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: all the info. you need for the 6th gen front brake upgrade