5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM Navigation Back-Up CD Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:20 AM

OEM Navigation Back-Up CD Swap

There are a few of us discussing swapping BACK-UP copies of the OEM Navigation CDs in the 5th Gen For Sale section of the .org. The goal is for everyone to get a full set, or at least the CDs they would like to have. If done right, everyone should be able to get all CDs they want.

So, please post the region you have here. Once a list of who has what is established, we can then start swapping back-up copies of the CDs to one another until everyone has all of them. Most of the "back and forth" parts can be done via PM so your address won't be on the public side of the .org.

Below is a map of the regions.

Barc
MCA 8 version 5.3
MCA 9 version 5.2

Please note, these CDs are for BACK-UP purposes only and SHOULD NOT BE USED. It is the responsibility of the person with the back-up copies never to use them.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Barc
There are a few of us discussing swapping BACK-UP copies of the OEM Navigation CDs in the 5th Gen For Sale section of the .org. The goal is for everyone to get a full set, or at least the CDs they would like to have. If done right, everyone should be able to get all CDs they want.

So, please post the region you have here. Once a list of who has what is established, we can then start swapping back-up copies of the CDs to one another until everyone has all of them. Most of the "back and forth" parts can be done via PM so your address won't be on the public side of the .org.

Below is a map of the regions.

Barc
MCA 8 version 5.3
MCA 9 version 5.2

Please note, these CDs are for BACK-UP purposes only and SHOULD NOT BE USED. It is the responsibility of the person with the back-up copies never to use them.
also...has anyone tested their backed up cd to see if it really worked?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 AM

I have and use a backup copy of my original MCA 1 v. 5.0 or 5.1. Works fine. I would be interested in other areas.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:30 AM

Yes, back-ups work... thank goodness. They basically contain 1 huge data file that the Nav system reads.

So far,

Barc
MCA 8 ver 5.3
MCA 9 ver 5.2

teksurv
MCA 1 ver 5.?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:21 PM

I have
MCA 8 ver 5.3
MCA 9 ver 5.5

I would like to get MCA8 v5.4 or v5.5 If anyone would like to go in on a group purchase of the latest MCA8 version (5.5) let me know.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 PM

I'll just use the newest ones and bump the older versions once we get the updated info.

Also, if you don't have any CDs but have Nav, please post your name so we can start a PM list.

Barc
MCA 8 ver 5.3

teksurv
MCA 1 ver 5.?

240se
MCA 9 ver 5.5

We should be able to work it so that everyone uses about the same number of their own CDs and get about the same number back. I have been told that this was done previously but don't have the link so I know it will work if we can all do our bits. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe everyone can get a full set of 5.5s!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:54 PM

Hey whats up guys, I might be able to get full backup cds my best friend is a manager in nissan. if anyone is interested let me know post your name here take care.

Regards,

TopSpeedNY
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 PM

That would be awesome.

I'm sure everyone who has posted thus far would be most appreciative!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:05 PM

add me to that list...
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TopSpeedNY
Hey whats up guys, I might be able to get full backup cds my best friend is a manager in nissan. if anyone is interested let me know post your name here take care.

Regards,

TopSpeedNY

Yes please.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM

bump...keep this thread alive!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Donating i30 Owner

im almost done with the navi into my 96.. i need some backup cds for testing purposes. i have the northeast that covers NY etc. i believe its MCA 8

will the 5th gens max work with nissan, PS. i have a 2001 QX4 navi
Old 06-24-2006, 10:41 AM

I think so long as it is CD based, the Nav software was identical between products.

Any word on whether or not you can get the discs TopSpeed?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Need A Light?

Damn, try to get the latest version at the dealership! it's 5.5 is the latest version...btw

Barc, add me onto the list...MCA1 5.3
Old 06-24-2006, 12:13 PM

steven88
MCA 1 ver 5.3

Needed
MCA 2
MCA 3
MCA 4
MCA 5
MCA 6
MCA 7

Barc
MCA 8 ver 5.3

HomerMAC
MCA 8 ver 5.?

240se
MCA 9 ver 5.5

Those with NAV that would like discs other than those above:

burnurass
teksurv

If anyone else would like a set or can contribute, please don't hesitate to post here.

The first way this will work is that I will collect all the discs (or whomever wants to be number 1), burn copies of all the discs needed and send them to 2 or 3 folks. They can then burn copies for 2 or 3 more folks, and so on. If we only have 10 or fewer people, I will send copies to 2 folks, they can send copies to 2 folks, and those 4 people can send copies to 1 person each if need be. It is kind of like a pyramid scheme where you really do win in the end and everyone helps everyone else! This way, everyone uses only a few CDs and only about $5 - $10 (maybe $20 if you have to send 3 sets of 9 but I doubt it) worth of postage / CDs. Yes, the last people on the list don't have to do anything BUT they have to wait the longest... And yes, this is an honor system sort of thing where you have to do your part since the next person on the list is trusting you to send their copies. Not a bad trade if you ask me for $1200+ worth of "back-up" discs even if you have to pay for a few discs and postage!

The second way this will work is that those with the latest versions of the CDs will send a copy to everyone else. This might work the best assuming we have only a few people involved but may cost the most in terms of postage since they will be sending only 1 disc at a time to several different addresses. Plus, if you have a PO Box, this might make for 8 or 9 trips to the post office to pick up discs...

But, we can work ALL of this out via PM or even here. If you have a better idea or modification, post that here or PM me. These are just the ways I've seen this sort of time work before (not for Nav software but other "back-ups").
Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM

i have 5.1 of cd8 if somebody can make me a copy of the latest version for back up that would be great and if anybody needs an cd8 with 5.1 version let me know
also need cd 6 and 7 old or new version whatever is available
jun
Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 AM

I have MCA 7 ver. 5.5, just got it. It came with installation Cd as well. also have MCA 7 5.1. Wouldn't mind getting MCA 8 new one.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 AM

steven88
MCA 1 ver 5.3

Needed
MCA 2
MCA 3
MCA 4
MCA 5
MCA 6

krazysashka
MCA 7 ver 5.5

Barc
MCA 8 ver 5.3

HomerMAC
MCA 8 ver 5.?

240se
MCA 9 ver 5.5

Those with NAV that would like discs other than those folks above:

burnurass
teksurv
chapscalyx

If anyone else would like a set or can contribute, please don't hesitate to post here.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:00 PM

Why don't you guys make ISO files of the CDs for back up? Send me a PM and I might be able to back them up online for you.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:22 PM

I don't see technically why that wouldn't work. Plus, there is just one major file so I don't think an iso file would be necessary, just the dat file and maybe one or 2 others per disc (it has been a while since I have looked at the contents of the disc). They are over 600 MB each, though. Do you have hosting room for that much data (at least 5.4 GB)? And that much bandwidth to allow for download?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Perhaps to eliminate much needed-upgrades, has the consideration been made to seek out the newest updates only, to everyone's benefits?

I have 5.5 (whichever came out in fall 05) of REGION 6. I'm actively seeking backup copies for my collection featuring region 5, 8, and 9.

And this could be the *ahem* medicine in me, but what if there were a cascading system to speed up how we can make said backups?

My daily schedule can make it impossible to check the forums regularly.. but here's my take: First to send in their backup get first backups of their wanted disc... THAT person is responsible for making TWO copies: one for themselves, one for the next on the list.

This about it guys: Someone took the time to honor your request, give the courtesy to the next in line.

Maybe it wouldnt work and I need to slow my roll on my buzz right now.

But comments, suggestions?

(My PM is activated for all I know, so please, feel free to drop a line.)
Old 06-26-2006, 04:42 AM

I would love to get the newest updates only, as everyone else would I am sure. However, it is looking like getting all the regions is going to be a problem. Assuming we get all the regions, we can attempt to get all the latest versions of all the regions. The main goal is just to get what people need then secondly to get the latest versions of what they need. I've already dropped some of the folks of which we have later versions of the discs they have. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to get all 5.5 discs.

It would be fine to send the copies out as you suggest. The only problem I foresee is that someone may not send a copy or may not get one someone else has sent and break the chain. We could start this NOW and see what happens.

I'll start a PM list and send something out ASAP. If you've posted in this thread and DO NOT receive a PM from me, please let me know.

steven88
MCA 1 ver 5.3

Needed
MCA 2
MCA 3
MCA 4
MCA 5

NismodusVivendi
MCA 6 ver 5.5

krazysashka
MCA 7 ver 5.5

Barc
MCA 8 ver 5.3

HomerMAC
MCA 8 ver 5.?

240se
MCA 9 ver 5.5

Those with NAV that would like discs other than those folks above:

burnurass
teksurv
chapscalyx

Originally Posted by NismodusVivendi
Perhaps to eliminate much needed-upgrades, has the consideration been made to seek out the newest updates only, to everyone's benefits?

I have 5.5 (whichever came out in fall 05) of REGION 6. I'm actively seeking backup copies for my collection featuring region 5, 8, and 9.

And this could be the *ahem* medicine in me, but what if there were a cascading system to speed up how we can make said backups?

My daily schedule can make it impossible to check the forums regularly.. but here's my take: First to send in their backup get first backups of their wanted disc... THAT person is responsible for making TWO copies: one for themselves, one for the next on the list.

This about it guys: Someone took the time to honor your request, give the courtesy to the next in line.

Maybe it wouldnt work and I need to slow my roll on my buzz right now.

But comments, suggestions?

(My PM is activated for all I know, so please, feel free to drop a line.)
Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 AM
Need A Light?

240se & krazyshashka - I have a question....I notice both of you own a version 5.5....did you guys buy this brand new from the dealership? If so, how much did it cost?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:21 AM

let me know what i can do to help guys
Old 06-26-2006, 05:31 AM

PMs sent to everyone except:

chapscalyx
NismodusVivendi

You guys have your PMs turned off so I couldn't send you anything. Please turn them on.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 AM

I've been getting notification that folks would like to do this via iso files and simply download them. That will be fine (and actually help everyone out) provided two requirements are met:

1) The files remain up so that everyone who PMs me can get them (only to be taken down once everyone gets the files that wants them if taken down at all).
2) The bandwidth is such that everyone who PMs me can get them (and not be cut off halfway through the month).

With that in mind, are there any good free hosting sites out there? I've found links to several with various amounts of hosting capacity and bandwidth but none seem like they will do the trick. So, I need some help in this regard. Please PM me with some good sites or if you have webspace you can devote to this for a month or so (roughly 6 GB total, or 650 MB per file X 9 files) and has unlimited bandwidth (or at least bandwidth for several downloads). If everyone who has a disc could upload them this would solve a lot of potential issues, plus it would cut down on the overall bandwidth of a single server handling all of this.

EDIT:

I can set up an FTP server if need be on my PC at home (possibly). I'll let you guys know what I can do if we can't come up with another solution.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 AM

Does anyone have the lastest version of MCA 1 for the California area? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM

I have about 8 gigs of space I could "lend" you and unlimited bandwidth.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by infiniteecho
I have about 8 gigs of space I could "lend" you and unlimited bandwidth.
We could use it! PM me with details, please. This would definately make things MUCH easier to get back-up copies to everyone who needs them.

luniz: The latest version of those posting here of MCA 1 is 5.3.

We are still looking for version 5.5 of the following:

MCA 1
MCA 2
MCA 3
MCA 4
MCA 5
MCA 8

If you can help or would like a back-up copy, please post here. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
240se & krazyshashka - I have a question....I notice both of you own a version 5.5....did you guys buy this brand new from the dealership? If so, how much did it cost?
You can purchase the disks from http://www.zenrin.com for $120 each. The new versions come out in the fall (around November) so version 5.6 of each Map Coverage Area should be out then. The file on the CDs have a date so if you have a CD with a file on it with say a 2003 date then you would have version 5.3
Old 06-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 240se
You can purchase the disks from http://www.zenrin.com for $120 each. The new versions come out in the fall (around November) so version 5.6 of each Map Coverage Area should be out then. The file on the CDs have a date so if you have a CD with a file on it with say a 2003 date then you would have version 5.3
Yeah i've seen the zenrin website...but was wondering if anybody had luck with the dealership....possibly daveB or something can get it for cheaper? well, regardless...this fall I'm picking up the 5.6 if nobody can sell me their current 5.5....my 5.3 is just gettin way too old...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM

PM has been sent...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:32 PM

Replied to your PM and currently writing another to the group.... Thanks!

chap, Nismodus; I need you guys to enable PMs please.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:40 PM

PM again.... lol You're good to go.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM

OK, PMs sent out. Let's get this thing moving!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 PM

All fixed, if you guys could make folders which are based upon the diferent regions for each of the ISOs or files, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 AM

pm open now
(hope it works) if not pls emal
jun.alpine@yahoo.com
thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 AM

How much would it cost me to get a used factory navi? I have just the Bose head unit right now...

I am poor beyond belief right now, just wondering for the future.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM

I've seen them go for about $500. The problem is the fact that it is nearly impossible to install it and make it work. A few folks have done it but not as many as have purchased the units. I'm not saying it isn't something that couldn't be overcome with time, effort, and money, it is just something not a lot of folks do so it ends up being a lot harder than just a simple plug and play operation.

A more viable (and cheaper option) is to get an aftermarket unit. It may no look stock but I can almost guarantee you a more friendly install and life with it.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by chapscalyx
pm open now
(hope it works) if not pls emal
jun.alpine@yahoo.com
thanks
Still says denied.

Nothing major yet, just asking for uploads...

I'll give you an email as soon as more info is available.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Back-Up CD Swap