5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Painted calipers, and colors? pics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Painted calipers, and colors? pics?

Hey guys! Just posting up the painted calipers pics in here, since I didn't want to ***** up the threads with this minor mod like this. Decided to come back to this thread and post it in here.
Well that's the color I went with and the results. Tell me what you think. thanks for the help.

Old stuff...
Hi guys, I was going to ask how do most of you guys paint your calipers. Do you remove them or paint them when they're on the car by covering up the rest???
Also I'm not sure what color I should go for. Thinking red, but not sure. Does anyone have pictures of their max with Silver or Black painted calipers???
Did some research and didn't find evectly what was looking for!!
Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

red...=.. go with either silver or black....:
Old 06-16-2006, 06:00 PM

for your car go with black.... i used to paint mine leaving them on and paint around but i finally got fed up with it chipping and having to repaint everyyear that i just got them powdercoated ... look great last alot long i have a black max so i painted mine red

heres a pic:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/misiek...be.jpg&.src=ph
Old 06-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

I used G2 and painted them when I changed the rotors/pads. Here's a pic:

Old 06-17-2006, 10:08 AM

Thanks guys for the info and pics, keep it coming!! Yeah I guess red won't look too good on my car, looks realy good on black though!
I guess i'll go with eather silver or black, but still need to decide!!! Ohhh yeah any suggestions at what brand I should look at for great results?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Drug Money

hey shurik, didn't you JUST have 1000 posts like a week ago or so?

how did you end up with 1480 now?
Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
hey shurik, didn't you JUST have 1000 posts like a week ago or so?

how did you end up with 1480 now?
hehe not realy, for the last few weeks I berely get in here and post!!! I had 1K like for a while now.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:37 PM

Mine are blue (a GM engine color, actually). I don't think they'd look good on your car. It's not a very good picture: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../555079_26.jpg
Old 06-17-2006, 04:58 PM

I'd go with silver and use the $2 paint from the autostore for engine manifolds. High temp crap
Old 06-17-2006, 05:06 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Igor911
I'd go with silver and use the $2 paint from the autostore for engine manifolds. High temp crap
High temp crap is not intended for UV exposure or the type of debris-related wear and tear unlike brake caliper paint.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Pointy Elbows

I painted mine red like 3 summers ago. I used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and then 2 coats of Rustoleum Sunrise Red. I used a foam brush. It worked pretty well.
Igor, nice G btw. When did you get that?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I painted mine black a few months ago. Still looks good.

I used this:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html

The kit comes with everything you need to paint your calipers 4 or 5 times. No need to remove anything but the wheel...color paints on smoothly. Got it at Pep Boys for $15.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:13 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

...and one other point I'd like to make is that you will never find a high-temperature paint for $2. The majority of smaller paint cans cost around $4, nromal exterior paint around $6, and high temp paints between $8 - $14.

...but seeing as how you have never actually painted anything yourself, I would not expect you to know this.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by shurik
Thanks guys for the info and pics, keep it coming!! Yeah I guess red won't look too good on my car, looks realy good on black though!
I guess i'll go with eather silver or black, but still need to decide!!! Ohhh yeah any suggestions at what brand I should look at for great results?
Actually I have a Black car and the red calipers gave the car a poser look so I stripped the paint and painted them black.

Go with Black or Silver. If you go with a two-part paint ($50) you better be good and prepare for the paint will dry on you within an hour or so. The caliper paint from your local auto parts store works really well and it's only $15.00 for the kit. I've done both and the two part kit gives a nice powdercoat finish but both kits provide for a real nice shine.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

I used the G2 Caliper System. Goes on with a brush and they give you enough for two coats and then some. No need to mask everything off etc... like you do with spray paint.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:01 PM

Hi guys, I was going to ask how do most of you guys paint your calipers. Do you remove them or paint them when they're on the car by covering up the rest???
Also I'm not sure what color I should go for. Thinking red, but not sure. Does anyone have pictures of sunlit sand max with red painted calipers or with other colors???
Did some research and didn't find evectly what was looking for!!
Thanks in advance guys!!

Shurik, ne delai iz svoei mashini, kastriuliu s risom...
Old 06-17-2006, 09:16 PM

Yea, the G2 kit is great. Enough for over two coats and it won't dry out on you in the can like the two-part system. I applied the G2 in black and the shine, while not hard shelled like the two-part system, it still produces a nice shiny finish. Best of all it's only $15.00.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
...and one other point I'd like to make is that you will never find a high-temperature paint for $2. The majority of smaller paint cans cost around $4, nromal exterior paint around $6, and high temp paints between $8 - $14.

...but seeing as how you have never actually painted anything yourself, I would not expect you to know this.
ok moron, I forgot you go shopping with me. Go paint your dash puke color some more.

I painted my calipers on the maxima a year ago, right b4 I sold it they still looked fresh. kthnxbye
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
I painted mine red like 3 summers ago. I used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and then 2 coats of Rustoleum Sunrise Red. I used a foam brush. It worked pretty well.
Igor, nice G btw. When did you get that?
I got it May 6. My temp tage exp date read "06 06 06"
Old 06-18-2006, 12:03 AM

Actually, there is an orange film behind that light. Immediatley following the removal of the cluster, this light will appear. Being that you never tried anything of this nature, you would not know this. Good try, though.
^regarding some brokeback cluster painting

^regarding Igor's suggestion to use cheap paint

Now i'd like to draw everyone's attention to how skillful and proficient METALMAXIMA considers his pathetic self to be. Please look at the highlighted phrase and find the similarity. If you cannot find the similarity, you are probably METALMAXIMA himself. But that's not the point... the point is that i have done more to my car than you with your girlfiend and i still do not have the CEL lighting up my interior. IS that why you are trying to paint everything BLUE, to match the color of your *****? And look at your cardomain, all i see is blue LEDs... ****, just buy yourself some colored christmas lightsand put them on your passenger's seat, i am sure you will like the blinking. So please, oh please, if you have nothing important and youseful to say about the subject, just sign out and turn off your computer. The blue leds are waiting for you in the garage.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FriscoMaxima
Shurik, ne delai iz svoei mashini, kastriuliu s risom...
No, it's just my calipers are dirty and they mess up the whole look. I don't want any rice stuff on the car that's why I decided to ask ppl here so they could help me with what is the best. Why do you think it's rice?

Well guys I think I know what Paint I can go for, all I would like to see is more pics if possible!!! Any more pics in Black and Silver? Thinking more in Silver but still deciding.

Originally Posted by Igor
that's what my cousin used on his car, and it did look nice and shiny. So it will stay for a long time even if it can be out in the sun?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:03 PM

that's what my cousin used on his car, and it did look nice and shiny. So it will stay for a long time even if it can be out in the sun?
Yeah, don't listen to that tool "MetalPidaras"

I got mine at the local autoparts store. The paint said HIGH TEMP on the front and it has a picture of an engine on the bottle. It was like $2 and change from what I remember. It lasted a long time and looked good.

Before you paint, get a metal brush and some brake cleaner fluid for 99 cents. Clean the caliper really well before you apply the paint. Also apply it 3 times with 5 min intervals. Don't overspray the first time, because then it will bulk up and peel off.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Yeah, don't listen to that tool "MetalPidaras"
LMAO!!!

P.S. It is not Pidaras, it is Piderast...
Old 06-18-2006, 04:39 PM

I need to do my front brake pads soon and I also want to paint my calipers. Red is to much for me and with the Titanium Edition and Sheer Silver I already have a bit of Silver overload - so I will probably go with black.

I did the calipers on my 4th Gen with the cheap high temp paint and they still looked pretty good after 3 years. I don't remember what it cost but I don't think it was more than a couple bucks.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:29 PM

I wonder how the G35 *Golden* color will look on the calipers on a maxima
Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 PM

I wonder how the G35 *Golden* color will look on the calipers on a maxima
Yes yes I want them Igor. j/k haha that's a good question though especially for the sunlit sand max!!! Maybe I should go with the golden color for the calipers...like Igor's G35 ones?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Yes yes I want them Igor. j/k haha that's a good question though especially for the sunlit sand max!!! Maybe I should go with the golden color for the calipers...like Igor's G35 ones?
actually 2005+ G35's don't have the Brembo Brakes anymore. Too many issues with them and alot of ppl complained about sqeeling from them. Nissan made their own version of them but they are not that golden color anymore
Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 PM

I just installed 6th gen rotors and calipers this past weekend, and I painted the rotors and calipers black with silver decals. I posted pics in a thread about it.

Heres the thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=478024
Old 06-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Hoooper

painting stock calipers is rice IMO. if its not a BBK, why would you want it to stand out? if you dont want it to stand out paint it silver or black so it blends in

Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
painting stock calipers is rice IMO. if its not a BBK, why would you want it to stand out? if you dont want it to stand out paint it silver or black so it blends in
Yes I see what are you saying. Yeah I'm thinking of going for Silver, but still just want to see some more pics if someone has them!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM

I have some pics at home, I'll try to post tonight
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Just Painted Mine This Weekend-
I did go with Red Calibers-
Black Caliper Brackets-
On the Rear I painted the Back Dust Cover Black Also-
I'm pleased with the overall look-

Can Not Post Pictures Yet-
I can e-mail-
Old 06-19-2006, 12:54 PM

I just picked up the duplicoler caliper paint kit in silver for $15 from Advance Auto Parts. I probably won't get to do them until Thursday though, I will try to post some Pics.

They also had high temp engine paint for ~$4 and a spray can of caliper Paint for ~$6, Both Duplicolor. I went with the kit mainly because I would rather brush the paint on instead of trying to mask everything off. Last time I did my calipers I sprayed the paint into a cup then brushed it on but it took lots of coats because it was so thin.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM

Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM

silver....

sorry no closer pics.

BTW, krasnei y senei barachlo
Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sublimer

sorry no closer pics.

BTW, krasnei y senei barachlo
Yeah too bad they're so little!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:02 PM

This is the best I could find...

From when I still had stock rotors while I was installing JIC:

Parked at school

My RIP Maxima

Old 06-19-2006, 03:08 PM

1 more shot of my old maxima. Don't even bother cracking jokes at the 4x4 look or the sticker on the side

Old 06-19-2006, 04:32 PM

The Red Looks Nice!!!

I decided to go with the red calipers on my white max. What i had to do was to take the calipers off, dont take the brake line off... and clean it with parts cleaner...once i got it clean enough i started to paint.. dont get frustrated if the paint starts to bubble when you apply it just use a hair dryer to heat it while you paint it..I plan on getting the chrome rime on soon to set them off...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2294995
Old 06-19-2006, 04:40 PM

yea and BTW, for my silver ones I used some high heat spray paint I found in my garage. I didn't take the caliper's off because they were rusted as hell and I just wanted to paint them relatively quickly. I basically sanded the rust off as much as I could and sprayed the calipers. I will take them off and
re-paint them with some higher quality paint in the future, but for about a year the paint has been holding up fine.

Quick Reply: Painted calipers, and colors? pics?