5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GRINDING! Front right wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 PM

GRINDING! Front right wheel!

Been getting this grinding noise only in the front right side. I first thought it was wheel bearings. Brake pads are fairly new about 60% pad left on freshly cut rotors about 2 months ago. Noise still continues as I accelerate and brake. But get this, the noise only happens in the rain. I was thinking ( but hoping its not) the front right CV axle boot may be torn and getting water in, just my thought but was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems like this where a grinding noise only happens in the rain? I am actually going to try to get this on the rack at my cuzns shop ( Wildmax01 ) to see if it may be the CV boot. I have an extended security plus warranty on my 01 AE but I know the stealership is gonna give me shiat because I am lowered on S.techs and KYB GR2's. Any input I would greatly appreciate!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:59 PM

to check if its the wheel bearing - jack up your car and try to move the wheel back and forth, if it moves around then its the wheel bearing.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by frankd121
to check if its the wheel bearing - jack up your car and try to move the wheel back and forth, if it moves around then its the wheel bearing.
yes grinding usually indicates bad wheel bearing
Old 05-11-2006, 09:07 PM

hmmm i have this problem as well but i noticed when i was rotating my tires that the front right wheel moved around even though lugnuts were securely tight...... how bad of a problem is wheel bearings and how much does that usually run...(sorry to jump in on this thread but i have the same problem)
but with me its BAD when i turn to the right or switch lanes to the right and it becomes more quiet when i turn left or switch lanes to the left
Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by xTeCaOx
hmmm i have this problem as well but i noticed when i was rotating my tires that the front right wheel moved around even though lugnuts were securely tight...... how bad of a problem is wheel bearings and how much does that usually run...(sorry to jump in on this thread but i have the same problem)
but with me its BAD when i turn to the right or switch lanes to the right and it becomes more quiet when i turn left or switch lanes to the left
IF you keep driving it, it will ultimately affect and cause damage to the wheel hub (just like I did ). Depends on where you buy your bearings, usually run between $40-$80. If you're going to get the dealer to supply the bearing and install you're looking at between $150-$250.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
...But get this, the noise only happens in the rain. I was thinking ( but hoping its not) the front right CV axle boot may be torn and getting water in, just my thought but was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems like this where a grinding noise only happens in the rain?
I just resolved this problem just last month. It turns out the drive axle spline needed to be regreased. I could not believe it when the dealership told me that but then again it was better that hearing something had broken and was going to cost a lot to fix. I think the key symptom which baffled everyone who tried to help me out was the driving in rainy weather. If the wheel bearing is bad to begin with, it's going to make noise regardless if it's wet or dry. But rule out the bearing first before you check out the axle and inspect the CV boot as well.

Here's my previous post on the subject.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=468175

Other than my alternator crappin out, I've had no funky grinding noise coming from the wheel/axle area since the regreasing. So I'm almost in great shape. Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:05 PM

Thanks 808MAX, I am actually going to get this up on the rack tomorrow morning! Hopefully this is all it needs, just to be regreased! I will let you guys know as soon as I find out the problemo! Thanks again 808MAX!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM

Well, actually just turned out to be the axle nut. Front right wheel had very little play when on the rack. Moved a little front to left and back and forth. Tightened up the axle nut ( by the cotter pin ) and problem solved. No more play or grinding noise! I'm glad it wasn't something major!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:13 PM

weird, i discover the same problem on my car (58000 miles) about 3 weeks ago and on the same wheel.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 AM

Vadim, I hear ya bro! I actually had this problem before too at about 50k miles. I'm not sure what may cause the axle nut to become loose. I have a set of 18 in chrome rims that I switch on and off for spring and winter, I was thinking maybe that can cause it to come loose from changing the wheels so often. But its weird cause it has only happen to the front right passenger wheel. ???????
Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 AM

switching out wheels should not cause it to come loose. THe only time i take of my wheel is when i do oil changes every 5k miles and tire rotation, which i haven't done in a long time. I am starting to think that it's a factory defect.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:25 PM

Vadim, that could be too! I am not sure what causes an axle nut to become loose on the same wheel twice! I was wondering if i should just start a new thread to get some opinions of the other members to see if they may have an idea of what causes an axle nut to become loose! ( I'm sure me being lowered on S.Techs/KYB GR2's doesn't help it either ) Weird!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:03 AM

Loose axle nut huh? Glad you solved your problem. I wonder what other problems could cause grinding that sound like a worn wheel bearing?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
Loose axle nut huh? Glad you solved your problem. I wonder what other problems could cause grinding that sound like a worn wheel bearing?
Yeah, I'm glad I got that problem solved too! I'm not sure what causes it to come loose but since tightening up that axle nut there is no play or grinding noises coming from the front right wheel anymore! I remember having this problem at around 50k miles and now I have 76k. I am just wondering now how often I have to check the axle nut to make sure its tight! Who knows?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:46 AM

a guy at the Firestone told me that it should never ever come loose and I don't remember seeing any mentioning of the axle nut under regular maintenance schedule.