5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm hearing a rattle under acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:50 PM

I can tell you guys that it isnt oil as I have been following this thread closely. I hate this noise so much. I added oil. Not the issue. I just did my PCV valve today (not for this reason but then coming back I have read that it could be this) its not the PCV valve.

I will be getting headers put in within the next month or so...so does that mean that this noise will go away? I hope so.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah, mine started making that rattling sound (more like a tag flapping, or raspy sound upon moderate acceleration) I'm pretty sure it's because I'm using lower grade gas now (no money ) ... I've had the car for over a year and always used 91 or 93 octane until now... so that's probably the problem for me... maybe it's the same for a lot of others too?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 PM

ive never used anything except 93 octane (rarely 91 at random stations that didnt have 93) and i think that this must have started sometime this past winter. I doubt its a gas issue.

Some said its the precats or something around there. I think that is the most accurate prediction so far..
Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Donating i30 Owner

everybody with the rattle do you have swirl valves? i did dek swap and i decided to get a motor with swirl valves cause of fuel economy (with partial throttle tuning) and since the swap i've heard that sound. the VIAS works off a solenoid and not so much of vacc. so they dont make noise like the swirl valves which work of maily vacc. psi. my motor had 40k on it and it seemed to be a well taken care of motor when i swapped it in.

oh to see if you have swirl valve there is a little lever like thing on the left side of the manifold. you can see it by the injector and where the runners go down to the LIM. between time chain cover and the injectors in that gap is a little vaccume canister..

best i can describe it..

Last edited by HomerMAC; 06-16-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I don't hear that rattle at all now that it is hot. I thought it was pinging but heat would make it worse, not eliminate it. I wonder if it has anything to do with the winter gas blends?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I finally got rid of my squeak, bump, rattle. It only took a year...lol

I was was going to post a new thread to help others, but the stupid 15 post rule prevented me.

After changing the lower control arms, balljoints, struts, strut bearings, inner and outer tie rods, both front and read motor mounts, it turns out that it was the passenger side motor mount.

In my case the noise sounded like a squeaky spring under light acceleration and something on the passenger side bottoming out over bumps. The engine also developed a vibration around 2000 rpm and got very noisy under acceleration.

A visual inspection did not show anything that looked bad with the offending motor mount, but after pulling it out I could see the where it had been rubbing pretty good against the mount which is why the loud engine noise. It was being transferred through the frame to the cabin.

With the new mount and all the parts I replaced, it is like driving a new car.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM

THanks for the post Mr. Chuck.

Good onya for finally getting it fixed. WIth your observations, I'm starting to believe that mine are shot also -- particularly the passenger side.
The "wobble" in my suspension on the right side is getting progressively worse, and REALLY annoying.
Waiting til spring (warmer) to get out in the garage and get some wrenching done, finally.

Did you swap it yourself? Care to share how u did it, if so??

Did you buy OEM replacements??

C'mon....BOOST that post-count!!

gr
Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the wobble too. It is gone..

I bought all 4 mounts in a package from Ebay for $85. I know they are probably not the best, but I don't care. The car has 175k on it. Figured they could not be any worse than the 10 year old ones there were on it.

Replaced the first 3 easy ones (front , back, driver side) first. They really didn't look bad.

It drove a little better but not much.

I had inspected the passenger side a bunch of times, but it never looked bad. Now with the 3 new ones it was putting more stress on the passenger side and I was finally able to see that it was bad.

Changing it was not too bad.

Put jack and block of wood under engine on case to support.

Removed fender well plastic so I could get to the bottom bolt. Removed top cap and 2 bolts to engine. Then the remaining 2 bolts to engine and bolt through motor mount.

The mount did not want to line up when I put it back in so it took a little rocking back and forth of the engine and ajustment to the jack to get the holes to lineup.

It definitely made a huge difference. I still have a couple small noises but I am pretty confident when I replace sway bar links they will go away.

Pics below are of the offending passenger side motor mount. Note in the op pic where the rubbing was occuring. This is what was transferring all the noise to the frame and into the cabin.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Looking at that old mount: is the rubber / epoxy torn with a hole under the center eyelet??
That looks nasty if so.

You're right tho -- I've looked at mine many times, and they LOOK fine.
This is now TOP of my priority list for the spring "tune-up".
Who knows...maybe I'll end up saving myself some cash by NOT having to repalce a ton of suspension pieces like everyone else!

thanks again for the post AND the pics!

Keep us posted on the susp. replacement -- tell us what fixxes what.
I replaced my sway-bar links about two years ago (searching for that infernal rattle) and nada-zip-nothing.
Don't buy the OEM's either...they're expensive. MOOG.

gr
Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The opening under the eyelet is part of the mount design. The only place it is torn is above the eyelet.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my car has a rattle under moderate accel. on the highway (like during passing), sounds almost like a tire rubbing but it is not. Car has 176K on it so I figure it is something wearing out but I have no idea what?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 PM

i have a rattle or similiar noise but mine does it mostly when its cold outside and when its warm i can barely hear it....very annoying.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 PM

I have the same rattle at certain rpms and I have a megan catback