5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm hearing a rattle under acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM

the cars are pinging.isn't it weird that there are alot of people here from all over with the same sound at the same rpm's.the car's are pinging.mine does it to especially when i'm in fourth gear(automatic)and i give it some pedal.the gas nowadays are cheaper.just my .02 cent's.but i know the noise in my car is pinging.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 PM

It's the sorry *** gas that is available at the pump! What you hear is detonation due to the reduction of petro and increase in ethanol in the present gas! Try to use 93 octane from clean station who maintain their fuel facilties! Until the war is over and hopefully the prices go back down, the half *** gas is here to stay! I normally add throttle to retard timing and the sound is gone at the next stand still acceleration! I would use octane booster but that shouldn't be left in your fuel system to long, it eats up rubber products (orings, seals)
Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
It's the sorry *** gas that is available at the pump! What you hear is detonation due to the reduction of petro and increase in ethanol in the present gas! Try to use 93 octane from clean station who maintain their fuel facilties! Until the war is over and hopefully the prices go back down, the half *** gas is here to stay! I normally add throttle to retard timing and the sound is gone at the next stand still acceleration! I would use octane booster but that shouldn't be left in your fuel system to long, it eats up rubber products (orings, seals)
My car makes the rattling noise but only in first gear when I'm taking off. I hear nothing under hard acceleration.
Also, ethanol is harder to burn than gasoline. Its got a higher auto ignition point and performs better under load. The only consequence I can see from increasing the alcohol content in our gasoline is crappy millage since alcohol has a lower energy density.

The fact that I don't hear the sound under hard acceleration backs that up. Engine load is way greater under WOT acceleration than under gentle takeoff in first gear.

Edit: Additives may change this so you might be right. I don't remember hearing this noise at all in the winter, but I also had the windows closed for obvious reasons.
Edit2: When my next student loan comes in, I might take some of the money and fill her up with premium and see if that makes a difference. Premium gas is almost 4 dollars a gallon in central New York.......

Last edited by Whitebread; 04-20-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Guys i am experiencing i think the same issue.

I put an audio recorded under the hood and drove around to record the rattling.
please go here to listen to the audio file

http://cid-9efed2569306ccdb.skydrive...ompilation.wav

copy and paste the above address in IE and click the big 'music note' icon to download the file.

the audio is about 47 seconds long.
notice the rattling from 8 to 14 seconds of the elapsed time and again from 28 to 40 seconds.

is it something that u guys here also.

i have an appointment with the stealership on Monday morning. lets c what they say..
Old 04-20-2008, 05:36 PM

i have it on my 2000 maxima too. mine's coming from a metal plate (possibly heat shield but im not quite sure what it is) right near one of the 02 sensors. im almost positive its from that because i brought the car back to the dealer and the retard used one of those wizzer wheels to cut that plate because he claimed he couldnt get the bolts out. im pretty pissed. but i think thats where the noise is coming from.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my 2002 has 207,000 mile and is throwing PO420 code and P1167 which dealer says is cat converter breaking up and bad o2 sensor. my car rattles at 1000-2000 rpm's bad and has miss at 5000 rpm at full throttle. Dealer says cat is breaking up inside and could suck back into engine and destroy it if not repalced. $1450 bucks....what should i do?
other wise car is sound.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by carybut
my 2002 has 207,000 mile and is throwing PO420 code and P1167 which dealer says is cat converter breaking up and bad o2 sensor. my car rattles at 1000-2000 rpm's bad and has miss at 5000 rpm at full throttle. Dealer says cat is breaking up inside and could suck back into engine and destroy it if not repalced. $1450 bucks....what should i do?
other wise car is sound.
i have stock mainafolds with precats for less headaches now but when i reach your stage i get headers 100% which remove precats and issue solved. Then you get o2 simulator and your rear 02 codes are gone too. Rear o2 sensors are there to just tell you if cat is working or not. Front o2 sensors monitor a/f mixture. Actually they are called a/f sensors now.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM

i know this is an old thread but has anyone actually find a definite solution to this?
It it getting louder as it is getting warmer and drives me nuts.
Only get it when in Drive, never in neutral or park, happens between 1700-2000 rpm

also when I start my car theres this grinding noise that lasts only for about a second. I have read the TSBs for it but since I am not that mechanically inclined to replace VTC sprockets as it stated, should I go another route like the 4th gens do when they have this problem, regrease the starter?
Thankss in advance for any input on this

2003 auto SE
58,XXX miles if it helps
mobil 1 synthetic oil/filter
premium gas always
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same issue. A vibration between 1800-2000. It is spark knock. 93 octane gas cured it.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Since the gas stations here have switched to the summer blends, I have noticed a HUGE decrease in the 1700-2000 rpm rattle.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 PM

yea same here about the switching to summer blends but the rattles seems to be even louder than before and it is very annoying, I hope this isn't a sign of any trouble coming.

But yea it is loudest at around 1800 rpm just before 2000 rpm.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think my car is going thru the same thing. When the car sits for a few days without me driving it, it makes a wierd exhaust puffing sound until the car warms up. If I try to drive it without it warming up it hesitates. The check engine light finally came on today and now I will be able to pull the code. I am thinking maybe bad precat and o2 sensor. My brand new OEM exhaust system has seemed to be getting louder and I am wondering will a bad precat cause this
Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 AM

I have an 03 Max and I've noticed the rattle as well. It's more pronounced when I have a wall or other barrier for the sound to bounce off. I went to a muffler shop thinking it was the heat shields but he said mine were fine and had not rusted thru, as is common on our cars.

I'm leaning toward the other cause mentioned earlier in the post, that its a deteriorated screen in the precat that is now in the exhaust tubing. I'll try my dealer first and see what they say and what it costs thru them. If I don't get satisfactory replies to my general knowledge questions, I'll go to a muffler shop.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm thinking I agree with this. I've done a little bit of messing around with different octanes/local stations and so on, and I've noticed that if I buy Reg. Unleaded at the cheapo station, there's a lot more rattling. However, reg. unleaded at the Shell station reduces the rattling considerably. Going up to 93 octane at the Shell station all but shuts it up.

If I can get some sound clips made, I'll do so. I just don't have the equipment right now.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I have an 03 Max and I've noticed the rattle as well. It's more pronounced when I have a wall or other barrier for the sound to bounce off. I went to a muffler shop thinking it was the heat shields but he said mine were fine and had not rusted thru, as is common on our cars.

I'm leaning toward the other cause mentioned earlier in the post, that its a deteriorated screen in the precat that is now in the exhaust tubing. I'll try my dealer first and see what they say and what it costs thru them. If I don't get satisfactory replies to my general knowledge questions, I'll go to a muffler shop.
keep us posted on the results!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got an 03' maxima the other day and i have the same rattle. Dealer said it was the heat shield, so i took it in they said they welded the after market exhaust the came with the car. A day later the rattle came back. It only rattles every now and then when i'm sitting at the light.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I think my car is going thru the same thing. When the car sits for a few days without me driving it, it makes a wierd exhaust puffing sound until the car warms up. If I try to drive it without it warming up it hesitates. The check engine light finally came on today and now I will be able to pull the code. I am thinking maybe bad precat and o2 sensor. My brand new OEM exhaust system has seemed to be getting louder and I am wondering will a bad precat cause this

Boondox--

Keep us posted.
As far as I remember, you're the first to actually THROW a code with this issue.
I'm in agreement with you, I think it's O2/precat related.
mine is getting worse, even after I tossed-in a bottle of 104+ octane booster on premium gas!
It's NOT octane or bad gas -- I've used 93 chevron or bp almost exclusively for the life of the car.

gr
Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Bumping this thread-up again....!

I want to hear from some of you guys who SAID you were going to the dealership for a diagnosis....

My pre-det rattle is getting worse, and it's making me CRAZY!!!
70k miles, and my car has NEVER done this b4 -- I don't believe it's SuMMER GAS! THAT is craziness.

Anybody heard ANYTHING reasonable from the dealers??
I'm worried about MAF/COILs/Pre-Cats/O2 sensors/ etc....

I MAY have to go to the dealer MYSELF if this doesn't go-away....

gr
Old 05-30-2009, 06:14 PM

I had the same noise for a while. I took it today and i got the car put on a lift then one guys stood under the car while it was being reved up and he said that it was the Catalytic Converter. I think he said it was the front.

for me its gonna cost $659
Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM

i think you guys should go to a dealer and have them retard your timing 2* to 13, and drive it, while using premium gas, i bet it will go away. both my 04 I35 and my 02 Max do this, and its because i advanced the timing, i run premium but they tune the ECU factory for 15* on premium, not 17*, in nissans factory manual, it states that a slight ping in normal and nothing to worry about. so before anyone spends a large amount of money on a cat, make sure to have the timing retarded to 13* and run premium fuel, if what i think is happening is in fact true, the noise will go away
Old 05-31-2009, 12:00 AM

I have the same issue. From reading countless threads here on the .org about different people with the same EXACT issue, I believe that it's most likely the precats. Sounds like they get old and fall apart. I will be taking my car to an exhaust shop soon to see if they can find the culprit...
Old 05-31-2009, 12:00 AM

the rattling is caused by no oil getting into the timing chain area so if you are experincing this from 1600-2100rpm just check your oil and fill her up.

I had this problem and checked my oil, sure enough very low!. im almost possitive thats the solution to your problem. Id almost put money on it.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Nevermore
the rattling is caused by no oil getting into the timing chain area so if you are experincing this from 1600-2100rpm just check your oil and fill her up.

Bravo! Finely, we know WTH is going on!! We all were so stupid to not fill up the oil...

Last edited by boris; 05-31-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nevermore

I had this problem and checked my oil, sure enough very low!. im almost possitive thats the solution to your problem. Id almost put money on it.
This is not coming from the timing chain area, it's coming from below the engine, where the precats are. I already took my car to the stealership and they told me it's not the timing chain, it's an exhaust rattle. They couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from though, and I didn't want to pay them for any more expensive labor hours.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM

my noise was an it's an exhaust rattle. it became clear when it was put on a lift then one of the guys stood under the car while it was being reved. he was able to pin point it to the noise coming from the Catalytic Converter
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 AM

PVC Valve? Those tend to rattle when they get worn out. Would be $10 fix from Autozone, and a sinch to replace if thats the case.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 AM

i have a bad case...but different...im reading people hearing the rattle under acceleration...im gettin mine at de-acceleration...when i let off the throttle is rattles lik a ****...might be my flex pipe which is shott ...
Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by stephen90
i know this is an old thread but has anyone actually find a definite solution to this?
It it getting louder as it is getting warmer and drives me nuts.
Only get it when in Drive, never in neutral or park, happens between 1700-2000 rpm

also when I start my car theres this grinding noise that lasts only for about a second. I have read the TSBs for it but since I am not that mechanically inclined to replace VTC sprockets as it stated, should I go another route like the 4th gens do when they have this problem, regrease the starter?
Thankss in advance for any input on this

2003 auto SE
58,XXX miles if it helps
mobil 1 synthetic oil/filter
premium gas always
hey you have an 03 maxima and do you prefer to use 93 gas in your car vs 87
Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Boondox--

Keep us posted.
As far as I remember, you're the first to actually THROW a code with this issue.
I'm in agreement with you, I think it's O2/precat related.
mine is getting worse, even after I tossed-in a bottle of 104+ octane booster on premium gas!
It's NOT octane or bad gas -- I've used 93 chevron or bp almost exclusively for the life of the car.

gr
I will. I just ordered a code reader to have on hand cause I just have a feeling this car is gonna keep throwing codes.....As soon as it comes and I pull the code or codes I'll post it...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

yea its not the tensioner for sure
Old 06-08-2009, 06:52 PM

I got my max out the shop today and they showed me the catalytic converter. When i looked at it i saw the screen was loose in the inside a test drive with newly installed converter and the max was noise free.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by boost4age
I got my max out the shop today and they showed me the catalytic converter. When i looked at it i saw the screen was loose in the inside a test drive with newly installed converter and the max was noise free.
One of the precats or the main cat?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM

the main cat
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM

I have one for you guys. 02 se 6 speed. 145000 miles. I get a ping/knock at about 1700-1800 rpms under easy acceleration. It has Headers(so this is not one of your typical pre-cat and cat rattles), nismo intake, complete 2.5" exhaust with borla muffler and tip. All the shields have been removed or welded. I also run 93 octane and run 10w30 mobil 5000 oil w/lucas oil. When I do my oil changes at 3000 miles the oil is real thin. The oil is suppose to be good for 5000 miles. I also usually have to start adding oil after I hit about 1000 miles. I've talked to a mechanic and he seems to thing I may be getting too much fuel and I'm getting some blow by. He said that once the oil is thinned to a point I start burning the oil causing the octane rating to plummet. Does this sound logical and does anybody have any solutions?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM

I am sure it is exhaust related. My exhaust needs to be exchanged anyway so we will see after I complete this job.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM

So anybody else confirmed this and tried a new Cat too? I had an emissions problem a little after I got the car a few years ago and took it to the dealer under warranty and I believe they replaced my cat two years back but I have a similar noise too.. Would it be better to go aftermarket for the Cat than?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 PM

If it's coming from the main cat, it should sound like it's coming from under the car. It shouldn't be that hard for somebody to stand outside your car and tell if the noise is coming from the main cat. If it's one of the precats, it's harder to tell exactly where it's coming from because they are behind the engine...
Old 06-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Yea, just put somebody in the trunk.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM

I had my tested again because i started to hear something else that sounded like the same noise. and they said was coming from another one of the cats so im thinking its the same issue which the screen is loose....i want to find some place where i can buy all the other cats and replace them all so i dont have this issue anymore. can someone help?
Old 06-13-2009, 04:40 PM

Common Problem: Check TSB's

There is a couple TSB's out for this problem, a lot of people have it including me, though I haven't been into the dealership yet. I can only hear it when accelerating while moving, not sitting in the park and revving. The TSB# I believe it is is ntb05-021d and it is related to a broken bracket/gussett or something. Or its a loose heat shield. Here's a DIY link I found in another post

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2274

Quick Reply: I'm hearing a rattle under acceleration.