5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Best Brake Pads

Thinking about replacing my 2 front brake pads. It's making that squeaking noise pretty loud now. Where can I get hawk pads and how easy is it to replace the 2 front. Thanks!

most importantly... i dont' have time to replace them myself so i might have the shop do it... how much does it usually cost and will they replace them?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:28 PM

The Nismo pad are quite costly but they are queit and have good grip.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

hps.................
Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hawk from what I've read makes a damn good street pad
Old 03-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Yeah Im about to change my rotors and pads in the front, I was going to get the Hawk HPS, but my friend who owns a auto shop is telling me to go with the powerstop or prostop? from pep boys about the same price as the HPS...so I'm still up in the air about it
Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 PM

don't know much about hawk pads. are they quiet and long lasting?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ZeRo MaX
most importantly... i dont' have time to replace them myself so i might have the shop do it... how much does it usually cost and will they replace them?
FWIW, when I replaced the front pads on my last '00 SE I found them to be the easiest brakes I have even done! Jack it up, pull the wheels, 20 minutes later your putting the wheels back on. They're that easy to replace
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by WasatchY2KMax
FWIW, when I replaced the front pads on my last '00 SE I found them to be the easiest brakes I have even done! Jack it up, pull the wheels, 20 minutes later your putting the wheels back on. They're that easy to replace
I've found this to be true with most disc brakes. Some of course are more complicated than others, but most disc brake jobs I almost look forward to doing. Actually, I look forward to doing most repairs on my car. I know. I'm wierd.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
I've found this to be true with most disc brakes. Some of course are more complicated than others, but most disc brake jobs I almost look forward to doing. Actually, I look forward to doing most repairs on my car. I know. I'm wierd.
I agree most disc brake jobs are easy but the Max is by far the easiest so far. And that includes a Bronco II where you just knock the caliper pins out with a hammer... Not even bolted in not to mention more cars than I can remember.

By the way, I used Pro Stop ceramic pads from Peb Boys. Can't really tell you how they were holding up becasue the car was totaled out in a wreck a few thousand miles after I put them in. And no, the wreck was not because of a brake failure...
Old 03-31-2006, 06:16 AM

By the way, I used Pro Stop ceramic pads from Peb Boys. Can't really tell you how they were holding up becasue the car was totaled out in a wreck a few thousand miles after I put them in. And no, the wreck was not because of a brake failure...[/QUOTE]

haha...good thing!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:06 AM

alright i'm gonna try this myself.... gonna see if i can get the Hawks hps... if not... then maybe something else.. thanks all!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Driving is the next best thing

alright i'm gonna try this myself.... gonna see if i can get the Hawks hps... if not... then maybe something else.. thanks all!
Custom Enterprise has them: http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design017
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Hawk from what I've read makes a damn good street pad
I haven't seen a more dusty brake pad than the Hawk HPS. Everytime I give a shower to my car, I have to put multiple layers of nose masks to be sure I am not inhalling the crap dust.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dank104
don't know much about hawk pads. are they quiet and long lasting?
Very Loud!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:52 PM

hawk hps ftmfw
Old 03-31-2006, 05:16 PM

I don't know if you want to go with Hawk hps pads...., I have them, they work well to stop, but very very loud. All I ever hear is squealing like crazy when I lightly step on the brakes. It's very annoying, I actually thinking about switching pads because they are soooo loud.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:08 PM

im putting on OEM pads tomorrow. powerslots come in next week.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 PM

I just bought some generic brand at AutoParts... not a good idea... but i just need it for now... bought them for 39.99... gonna install them on tomorrow!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:13 AM

HPS are so loud!!!!!! what best pads to get for cross drilled rotors????? i'm looking for performance and no noise any sugestions?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

HPS are NOT LOUD at all. been using them for 4 years and still haven't herad them make any type of noise.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:09 AM

im running Hawk HP ceramic front pads with power slots....they feel almost pillowy...but stop pretty short (better than the stockers that I pulled off with blue spots on the rotors at 3/32 of pad left that felt hard as a rock but shook the car and stopped long
Old 04-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Seoul Man

Hawk HP and Axxis/PBR Ultimates both tend to dust a lot and they can be noisy, but they stop the car very well. I think you could reduce noise some by using that brake lube stuff on the back of the pads before installation, but there's not much that you can do about the dust.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM

so whats a good brand for stopping power, but w/o all the dust? i have 20in chrome wheels on my max, and would hate to have to clean them everyday due to brake dust.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:08 AM

I just bought some generic brand at AutoParts... not a good idea... but i just need it for now... bought them for 39.99... gonna install them on tomorrow!

Dude you are gonna regret it just go on tirerack.com and get the hawks from their THEY ARE CHEAPER AND YOU GET THEM WAY FASTER THEN FROM CUSTOMMAXIMA. I got brembo blanks and hawks hps and they do make some noise sometimes its not bad at all but these things stop like crazy style.

BASICALLY

HAWKS HPS FTMFW
Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
HPS are NOT LOUD at all. been using them for 4 years and still haven't herad them make any type of noise.

Had them on for 6 months now and not a peep....I put a little anti squeal on the back of the pad and that may have helped. And for the dust, well thats what brake pads do. Some a little more than others but for the improved braking the HPS provide, I don't give a **** they make a little more dust.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
Dude you are gonna regret it just go on tirerack.com and get the hawks from their THEY ARE CHEAPER AND YOU GET THEM WAY FASTER THEN FROM CUSTOMMAXIMA. I got brembo blanks and hawks hps and they do make some noise sometimes its not bad at all but these things stop like crazy style.

BASICALLY

HAWKS HPS FTMFW
Do you think Hawks are that good? They seem to be overpriced... if i was rich and wasn't in college i would definately get some but i'm a broke student... and i think cheaper brands can still save my life if i HAVE to hit the brakes

Thanks all who helped out... I actually just got some Duralast Gold breaks... apparently... the customer service guy put a lifetime warrenty on it and I can bring the brakes back once they are worn now... it stops pretty good and doesn't make any noise at all... and it's the ceramic pads so it's suppose to have like no dust. I also put some anti-seize on the pads and such places and even sprayed painted my calipers... very easy job... everything took me 2 hours for both the fronts and everything else... i didn't do anything else to the rotor just changing the pads and car seems to be good!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Do you think Hawks are that good? They seem to be overpriced... if i was rich and wasn't in college i would definately get some but i'm a broke student... and i think cheaper brands can still save my life if i HAVE to hit the brakes

Thanks all who helped out... I actually just got some Duralast Gold breaks... apparently... the customer service guy put a lifetime warrenty on it and I can bring the brakes back once they are worn now... it stops pretty good and doesn't make any noise at all... and it's the ceramic pads so it's suppose to have like no dust. I also put some anti-seize on the pads and such places and even sprayed painted my calipers... very easy job... everything took me 2 hours for both the fronts and everything else... i didn't do anything else to the rotor just changing the pads and car seems to be good!

Wait till you hit the brakes harder a couple of times.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...1&autoModClar=
The hps only cost 65 bucks so that aint to bad.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help

i just got a 2000 maxima last week and i was wonderin if there is any one out there willing to help me get my car movin in the right direction what should i put in it and how much would everything cost round about ty for anyone's help in advance
Old 04-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

you buy hawks for your maxima if you're some idiot who thinks that maximas are autocross cars and love dust on their wheels.

if you're realistic, you'll get akebonos or stick with the oem stuff.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2000 Maxima Teg
i just got a 2000 maxima last week and i was wonderin if there is any one out there willing to help me get my car movin in the right direction what should i put in it and how much would everything cost round about ty for anyone's help in advance
Holy Highjack Batman!! Search using this link, there are a million threads that people have posted about this.
http://search.yahoo.com/web/advanced...r=fp-tab-web-t
Old 04-02-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by spark plugs.
you buy hawks for your maxima if you're some idiot who thinks that maximas are autocross cars and love dust on their wheels.

oem pads are the suck dude. hps are the new coolest thing. get with it
Old 04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Hoooper

if youve read about the hawks, you know there are two levels, street and race. the race ones are loud and dusty, but if you get the street ones they are quiet and make very low dust. just make sure you get the street ones cause otherwise ull be complaining on here about your dust and noise.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by roll4life
oem pads are the suck dude. hps are the new coolest thing. get with it
apparently, you have black wheels so brake dust isn't a problem. anyone who DOESN'T have some dark wheels would agree...hawks dust like hell and, IMO, aren't worth it. i don't drive like some moron in my maxima. oem brakes stop just fine and have the least amount of dusting.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by spark plugs.

1. I've used akebonos on several cars. They're good pads, but for street use, Hawk HPS are far superior in EVERY aspect.

2. Hawk HPS are great for street use. Excellent bite, low fade, and VERY low dust (way, way lower dust than OEM pads). My rear wheels have OEM pads on them and are always dirty. My fronts have Hawk HPS and always look clean. I doubt you've ever actually used Hawks, so you wouldn't know.

3. Hawk HP+ are for track use. They have higher temperature ratings, and, as track pads, do tend to dust quite a bit. But on the track, people aren't there for "looks," they're there for performance. Nobody gets worried about brake dust, only little girls like you.

4. Before you open your moronic mouth, maybe you should learn what you're talking about. Autocross is not hard at all on brakes...in fact good autocross drivers don't use their brakes all that much. Road course racing is where heavy braking temperatures come into play.

5. I guess I'm "some idiot" since I autocross my maxima quite a bit. In fact, there is a whole section here on the org full of idiots like me. Listening to a newbie like you talk ****.......please Shut your mouth before you embarass yourself further.

At the large 192-car SCCA event last weekend, a 5.5 gen maxima won the novice class (GBAUER), I placed 2nd in the DSP class (behind a heavily modded civic hatch), and John Whelan (97SEDriver) routinely beats faster cars in his near-stock 4th gen. A maxima will never be a Miata or Mini, but driven well and set up correctly, they can be competitive as anything else. Just ask Brian (BEJAY), who has quite a few event wins under his belt in his 4th gen.

who's the idiot now, loser?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Z

Originally Posted by irish44j
1. I've used akebonos on several cars. They're good pads, but for street use, Hawk HPS are far superior in EVERY aspect.

2. Hawk HPS are great for street use. Excellent bite, low fade, and VERY low dust (way, way lower dust than OEM pads). My rear wheels have OEM pads on them and are always dirty. My fronts have Hawk HPS and always look clean. I doubt you've ever actually used Hawks, so you wouldn't know.

3. Hawk HP+ are for track use. They have higher temperature ratings, and, as track pads, do tend to dust quite a bit. But on the track, people aren't there for "looks," they're there for performance. Nobody gets worried about brake dust, only little girls like you.

4. Before you open your moronic mouth, maybe you should learn what you're talking about. Autocross is not hard at all on brakes...in fact good autocross drivers don't use their brakes all that much. Road course racing is where heavy braking temperatures come into play.

5. I guess I'm "some idiot" since I autocross my maxima quite a bit. In fact, there is a whole section here on the org full of idiots like me. Listening to a newbie like you talk ****.......please Shut your mouth before you embarass yourself further.

At the large 192-car SCCA event last weekend, a 5.5 gen maxima won the novice class (GBAUER), I placed 2nd in the DSP class (behind a heavily modded civic hatch), and John Whelan (97SEDriver) routinely beats faster cars in his near-stock 4th gen. A maxima will never be a Miata or Mini, but driven well and set up correctly, they can be competitive as anything else. Just ask Brian (BEJAY), who has quite a few event wins under his belt in his 4th gen.

who's the idiot now, loser?
OWNED!

And yes, Hawk HPS is a terrific pad. It bites like a madman once the car slows down to 20MPH. It's stops calmly and normally like a pad should...but when it gets to 20MPH, my stomach ends up outside of the car. Terrific grip!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I have experience with quite a few brake pads myself, and personally I run Hawk HPS whenever the option of getting them is avalible.

I've tried Akebono pads (they make our OEM pads btw) and I really didn't like them, they had a long life expectancy but did not have enough bite when they where asked for repeated 100+MPH stops- aka road racing.

Axxis Metal Masters- very noisy pads and VERY dusty, I bead in breaks and done breaks on more cars that probably everyone who posted here combined x1000 in my life (I am a mechanic). Their stoping power was so so, but I could not live with the amount of dust they created, litterally would have to clean the wheels every day.

OEM pads- garbage, they wear out fast, dust quite a bit and can NOT sustain any high speed stopping without green fading. I got 20K miles out of my 2nd set of OEM pads on my Maxima, and the passenger side was ON the wear indicator (only that side has the indicator btw).

Raybestos, or ANY kinda over the counter pads from Autozone, Napa, Advance Autoparts- they all SUCK, they are pads for your average person who does NOT give any **** bout the stopping power or their rotor life. They groove the rotor really bad and wear out unevenly accross the surface of the pad.

Hawks are the bomb, I am on my *4th* set on my Maxima right now and when this set wears out at approx 165K miles I will be going with YET another set of HPS, I have had so much great luck with them in the past that I highly recomend them to ANYONE who is looking to upgrade to non OEM performance pads, no matter what kinda car they drive.

I just installed a set of OEM pads on my 94 Q45, reason I went with OEM is because my Q has built in sensor in the pad that when the pad gets down to a set thickness- a message on the onboard computer comes on. It says Brake pads are worn, you could bypass the system but I decided not too. The OEM pads DUST pretty bad and my wheels constantly need cleaning, I am upgrading the brakes to 350Z Track Brembo package as I tend to be hard on this 4200lbs car so the stock brakes- which are way bigger than the Maxima ones are lil overwhelmed by my lead foot.

BTW who stole my avatar ???
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 PM

OEM pads just suck... they dust soo much and they are just a piece of ****

I've gone with Axis Metal Master with my 300zx caliper set up. I thought they were pretty good pads but they dusted a whole lot and when i took it up tothe mountains i would get brake fade.

I've also gone with PBR Ultimate pads with my 300zx caliper set up... and it's the same review as the PBR ulimate pads.

Currently i'm using Project Mu B-force pads... and personally these are the best pads i've ever used.... i mean they do cost over $100 + shipping... but they are worth every penny. They have less brake dust then the other 3 i used and they bite real hard. They don't have any brake fade when i take my car to the mountains.... and plus they come in a kick a$$ color! GREEN!