5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested to see 5th gen suspension tuning thread?
yes
94.72%
no
5.28%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Need a favor from EVERYONE with lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)
H&R springs with Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, energy suspension sway bar bushings. Bump stops were cut half an inch all around.
2 Your driving skills and experience Adequate driving skills, normal driving.
3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions
Bottom out on large potholes only.
4 How your car feels when driven around town
Ride is comfortable, a little stiff even at 2f/2r sometimes.
5 Impressions on curvy roads
Curves are taken very well. Minimal body roll.
6 High speed driving and high speed stability
Very stable, lane changing is controlled.
7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it)
Similar to OEM(GLE) at 1f/1r settings.Anything above is harsher.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)
Progress Springs, Tok Illuminas 2/3, FSTB, Rear Sway Bar, Bumps cut 1" fr/1/2" rear, 235/45/17 Kumho 712's
2 Your driving skills and experience.
Aggressive street for 20 years, no auto-x or racing. Lots of motorcycle too!
Too often, but mostly on larger potholes & bumps.
Like a poorly (stiffly) sprung ricer.
Fantastic on long sweepers! Reaches the tire limits b4 the susp. gives-up -- car is just too heavy for hyper driving.
Very stable and firm - but crappy brakes limit the hi-end.
I'm embarassed to have others ride in my car unless on the highway - and even then expansion joints can be jarring! I AM 34 though....maybe that's not fair!
*I'm switching my springs ASAP to either stock or h&R.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took time to write a review. I apologize that I still haven't done what I promised in the first post. I'm very busy doing school work these days and can't spend as much time “on cars” as I want to. I'll try to do my best to post this info after I’m done with my finals though.

More reviews are still welcome.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took time to write a review. I apologize that I still haven't done what I promised in the first post. I'm very busy doing school work these days and can't spend as much time “on cars” as I want to. I'll try to do my best to post this info after I’m done with my finals though.

More reviews are still welcome.

The tokico illuminas should be coming in the mail tomorrow and I will install them and the Eibachs once the get here, once they are installed i will test them a lot and make sure to add to this page, btw I might have found a shop to do the SFCs. (Knock on wood and keep your fingers crossed)
Old 05-29-2006, 10:25 PM

Otto FSTB, Progress RSB, Illumina shocks set to 3/3, Eibach springs

2 Your driving skills and experience

I'm no racer but my car spends considerable time at high speed.

Car has yet to bottom the suspension out, in fact I have hit REALLY huge potholes to see if it would and its seriously no less likely to bottom out than the stock suspension. My buddy (who drives a truck) hit a large bump in the road the size of a speed bump at about 30mph and we had 3 people in the car and the car underbody scraped lightly, thats the only hiccup I've had with these Eibach springs.

Around town I dont think it feels a ton different than stock. Bumps are more pronounced but still make the car no less drivable every day over the potholes than a 350z or a G35

On curvy roads the car obviously has higher limits and feels great. A lot of people are shocked when I tackle the twisties unless they already know the car has suspension mods.

High speed stability is good. Although if your taking corners at very high speed I have noticed the back end can loose traction if you hit a bump and get a little more lively than stock. A little nerve racking.

My dad is 60 and he likes it. None of my friends even knew I had put in stiffer springs untill I told them. That should say enough right there... I have no clue how these springs got a reputation of being hard, its absolutly silly, maybe the fact that I chopped a decent amount off my bumpstops made the difference.

Advanced handling questions:

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.

Initial turn in is still weak in my opinion, but in the middle of a constant radius single apex this car hangs.. and by hangs I meen I dont have the ***** yet to totally test how much it hangs, but it hangs onto corners to the point where the side bolsters of the seat are putting some serious pressure on my kidneys. Key to making it stick though is getting weight to transfer to the front wheels. Deff need to do some trailbraking or else its limits wont be nearly as high.

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.

S turns in this car make me a little nervous. I think it may be the progress RSB thats creating some uncomfortable cornering charachteristics but sometime quick transitions back and forth do make it feel like the back end is going to snap oversteer, but only at really high speeds. I cant get snap oversteer no matter how hard I try in a parking lot but I almost lost it at 100+ switching directions quickly.

10 Is your car predictable?

A little less predictable than stock.. there are some serioussly messed up roads around this part and the back end does have a tendency to get light when I am goin at it hard around the corners and I hit a bump mid corner. I think gettin rid of the RSB will help this. But I also think the SFCs will help this too.

11 Additional information that you feel is important

They are comfortable to me and everyone I know. They give the car some pretty sick limits, there is little to NO weight transfer front to back NO dive during braking or squat during acceleration but there is still some body roll side to side if your going through an S turn or need to make quick and hard transitions side to side. These are progressive springs and thus there will be some more body roll than a similar Linear spring but the spring rates on these springs are pretty high and it doesnt take much compression of the spring to get it to some pretty serious spring rates.

One very nice effect of this spring/shock modification. My car is now a beast off the line. It hooks SO MUCH better than it ever did before. The springs/shocks made more of a difference in my ability to hookup than going from potenzas to the toyo proxes 4. So its a BIG difference. I can even go around a corner and punch it and the tires dont spin. Its pretty impressive.

ALso the backend felt much more planted with a person who was about 150lbs in the back seat, It felt perfect like that. The back end getting a little more skittish around these terrible roads is really the only downside and based on it feeling perfect with a person in the back seat, meens that it should feel very good once I get the SFCs on my car.

Overall I highly recommended these, I have lost absolutly NO practicality of the car, it never bottoms out its gained higher cornering limits, and can take off from a stop much better than before. Overall really no downsides other than I wish there was a tad less roll under really hard s turns.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:12 PM

Bump.
Sorry for bumping old threads but is there anyone else with H&R - Tokico setups?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Anyone else wants to post his/her review? The sticky is already posted, but it doesn't mean that people don't want to see more reviews.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 PM

So, I hate my h-techs, the ride has gotten significantly worse. I cannot stand it anymore, I am about to switch them out for something. It rides perfectly on smooth roads and with little bumps it's tolerable. But if you hit a big bump everything rattles and it hits hard as hell. I am really thinking about going coilovers or eibachs.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by cutter
So, I hate my h-techs, the ride has gotten significantly worse. I cannot stand it anymore, I am about to switch them out for something. It rides perfectly on smooth roads and with little bumps it's tolerable. But if you hit a big bump everything rattles and it hits hard as hell. I am really thinking about going coilovers or eibachs.

Sounds like your bottoming out. My eibachs have yet to bottom out. I think they are less prone to bottoming out than stock. I had 6 people in my car a week ago including a guy in the trunk and the car still never bottomed out.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:37 PM
+Cru OG

* FSTB (removed currently), RSB, Toser Coilovers, ES Bushings (uninstalled)

* Defensive driving school 6yrs ago. Been driving legally for 10 years (3 driving farm tractors).

* Haven't bottomed out yet (then again, the coilovers have been on the car for <20 miles).

* It's stiff, feel all the rattles and hums in the car.

* A quick test around mild bends keeps the car planted both front and rear. The rear end seems a little less forgiving with the RSB.

* Data Not Available. I still need to adjust it to proper ride height and aligned.

* My brothers (10yrs old) described the ride to be bouncier than the stock setup.

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.
* Data Not Available..yet.

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.
* Data Not Available..yet.
* For the time being, yes. It would probably increase the predictability factor when it's aligned and properly adjusted.

* Installing suspensions is a task in itself. A day's worth of time needs to be reserved especially if it's your first time. My installation was a lot smoother since I had access to air tools. Toser is definitely not a suspension for the lighthearted. It reads the pavement like braille and make you feel each and every road imperfection.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:36 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

* FSTB, RSB, Boss Chen Coilovers (#6 in the country)
* see past post in this thread
* Haven't bottomed out yet technically other than my own experimentation with adjustments (still adjusting to get the right settings).
* Like a high dollar european car...just like I've been looking for! I am so pleased at this time.
* Very stable and very little body roll. She stays very flat and planted. should get better once I get it dialed in.
* Not perfect yet but I haven't gotten it set right just yet nor have I had it aligned.
* My wife noticed the difference right away! Highway bumps and expansion joints are nearly unnoticable! Have to take some preload off the springs to make it a bit less bouncy...I cranked the perch as tight as I could get it by using both hands. Lesson learned. Still getting to know the way each change effects the ride.

* very predictable...initial turn in the car leans over a little and plants, mid corner it is stable and on the gas out of the corner it stays stable and solid with less weight shift to the rear as compared to the other spring sets I've had. pretty even comparisson at all speeds.
* Excellent! Hands down the best I've driven in a Maxima. Very predictable and stable...exactly what I imagined for handling charistics.
* Yes but the additional preload on the springs makes it a bit bouncy. be aware that when setting up any coilover that preload will cause the bouncy feel...this is easily corrected, I just over corrected last adjustment.
* Install was fairly easy and just replaced the strut bearings. Make sure when you install a new set of C/O that you adjust the bottom mount to make sure you are not already at the bottom of travel for the threaded strut shaft...it is a real pain to try and break it free later! Take your time and adjust everything a little at a time to get the desired ride height and travel. I would unthread the strut shaft and mark with a grease pencil or paint dot on the thread where you are near the end of travel so during the adjusment process you are not moving outside of safe parameters. Overall, it took a couple hrs to install and several hrs to adjust... that is where the satisfaction comes in. once dialed in you will be a happy camper if you are going for a comfortable yet sporty ride and chose the Boss Chens...they are not for everyone! only for the people that want high quality and don't mind paying the price for that quality and service. if you are looking for inexpensive...d2, tosser, K-sport...they are all good, just more sport oriented and in most cases less expensive. I would spend the money 2x over for these that is how happy I am. Larry is 1st class and I wish that every business I dealt with was this service oriented.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 PM

maxspeed, then progress, then tein s tech, all with kyb gr2 shocks

Been driving for.... 5 years. like to drive fast on occasion, take hard turns once in a while, not too often.

Maxspeeds: dont remember, but I dont think I ever bottomed out cuz it was so high.

Progress: never remember bottoming out, it was noticably stiffer than the maxspeeds.

s-tech: I think i bottom out sometimes, but im not sure. I think i bottom out (if thats what it is) when one wheel hits a hole or something while the others are on the level pavement, but I'm not to sure if it is or if its the sound of something else, but it doesnt happen often enough for me to worry/care.

maxspeed: much better than stock. its pretty similar to stock ride, with noticably better handling. the drop looks stock, lol

progress: I liked them at first, but i believe it is progressive rates, which means that it gets stiffer at the spring is compressed more. This is nice for a stock ride, but when i made slow turns, body roll was pronounced cuz its soft at first. when i take hard turns, it would stiffen up, after a bit of roll. but anyway, going around town, this setup started annoying the crap out of me. The drop wasn't too great either.

s-tech: its the best. It drops really well. the handling is like progress, but stiffer. It stays pretty rigid with the first jirk of the wheel. my girlfriend doesnt notice the difference (in terms of harshness). She notices that the handling has improved greatly, and that its a tad bit rougher, but shes not complaining. This handles way better than progress springs. I thought s-techs would be too harsh, judging by what people say, but I like it because unless you're driving on rocks, the ride isnt bad

maxspeed: better than stock, but still rolls

progress: better than stock, but body roll is still very noticable during the beginning of the spring compression, which would suck for the slalom test.

s-tech: best. It's very responsive. I can take hard turns very well. much better than progress and maxspeed. I actually feel like my car can handle with 350z and preludes (but probably cant).

maxspeed: better than stock, but still likes to be a bit rollly polly.

progress: same issue as before with progress. spring is soft at first, making it feel unstable on the highway. it doesnt stiffen up, but still dont feel safe. its much better than stock though.

s-tech: its the most stable. responds better than the other 2. minimal body roll

no one really rides my car. but, my grandma would probably yell at me, but thats nothing new. my sisters tl feels kinda similar to my car, so she probably wouldnt say anything. the new tl handles pretty well in corners. better than when i had my progress and maxspeeds. part of the reason why i wanted to stiffen up. If my sisters STOCK tl rides better and rides lower than my aftermarket shocks and springs (maxspeed and progress), thats pretty ****ty. hence, I decided if the TLs (comparable car) were riding firmer, I am going to too. G35 sedans handle well too.

maxspeed: is okay, least firm out of the bunch.

progress: a little better, least predictable out of the group.

s-tech: extremely better in everyway

maxspeed: a little better than stock as usual

progress: again, its sloppy at first, but then it stiffens up. however, in the S-turn, it sucks more. in the s turn, lets say i make a hard left, the car is sloppy, but stiffens up. so now i have to make a right turn, well, my car is going to go from stiff, to soft, then now with the weight moving to the other side, go soft, then stiff. this just sucks cuz it makes it a little unpredictable, and takes to long to stop the body roll.

s-tech: i could take s turns very well. its very responsive, and body roll is at a minimum.

maxspeed: yes

progress: not as much

s-tech: yes

This information, which took me like 30 minutes, is my opinion and I answered as honestly and as truthfully as I could. I am giving opinions based on my experience with different suspension setups. I say, if you want a ride that can take corners and dont want to spend too much money, just go straight for the s-techs. if you want a nice bouncy ride, go for maxspeed. haha. I learned the long way what springs i wanted in the end. I wanted close to stock ride with a decent drop blah blah. and now, i end my destination at s-techs because it is really not that harsh as people say/i imagined it to be. the drop looks incredible, it looks much much more aggressive than the progress, and handles very well.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Tokico Illuminas w/ H&R Springs, Otto FSTB, Progress RSB, bump-stops NOT cut.

Just your everyday Maxima enthusiast.

NEVER. I HAVE NEVER BOTTOMED OUT. I weigh 213lbs, my trunk has an extra 50lbs. in it, and I have 150lbs. of deadening. NO BOTTOM OUT.

Comfortable and predictable.

Precise. Nothing left to be wanted.

Glued to the asphalt.

Tight. A small 'bump' when a bump is hit, nothing too major. More noticable on very bad roads, but nothing unbearable.

I would not have done my suspension any other way. Worth EVERY penny.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Ok, I'm finally replying to my own post...

Boss Chen coilovers, 8kg/cm front 6kg/cm rear spring rates, ride height: 26" front, 25 3/4" rear, shocks set to 28 all around, toe set to 0, OTTO FSTB, stage 1 LTB, Progress RSB, ES FSB bushings.

Knew how to drive a stick since I was 12, 4 years of everyday driving, 5 auto-x events, according to "Rev It Up" I'm in the top 25% nationwide, drove many different cars (aggressively) including BMW 330i, Corvette c6 and go-Karts.

never

You have to be a bit careful going over the potholes, but nothing that you can't live with.

Nice and responsive, gives you a very confident feeling when going around the turn. Minimal body roll.

very good, not quite like a Bimmer but good enough...

If I'm careful they can't tell the difference, but they are fine with it regardless of the way I drive.

Low speed: understeer thought the whole turn unless I pump up the rear tire pressure to 48psi

Medium speed: understeer at turn-in, neutral in the mid corner, slight overseer in the exit.

High speed: pretty much like Medium speed corner, though, I don't know how it feels at the turn in. I always slow down a little too much before high speed corners.

Understeer, if you move the wheel too quickly, in both stages. The rear might want to come to the side in the second stage if first stage is done at optimal slip angles.

yes, just don't press on the brakes during corner exit at high speed

Check out full Boss Chen coilovers review: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=498613
Old 11-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Bump for more great reviews!!!

There are still no reviews of the setups that include Konis, S-techs and Ground Controls, and there are very few reviews of the setups that include Eibachs, Vogtland and Progress.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:04 AM
all teh single ladiez

tein s-techs on tokico hp (blues)
w/ half-assed cut bumpstops

depends on your definition of skill. i drive erratically and obscenely fast.

rarely, even on some scary ramps and what-not.

fairly comfortable. i have a bent rim that makes me afraid. the areas i usually drive in usually have **** roads so that doesn't help.

surprisingly it handles wonderfully.

see above.

"you should have never lowered the car." again, that's just because they don't see the praciticality of it. i'd give it a 7/10.

well, being an ******* i tend to think i own the road. thus i usually take these turns right on the middle line. handles decently at all speeds.

smooth.

not with the way i drive.

my front right rim is bent, so it sometimes feels like it's my suspension. though, i've had my spring/struts looked at and it seems fine. my only complaints are about the camber and the drop height in the back. even after two alignments the camber still seems out-of-whack. the drop height in the back still makes it look like she has her *** in the air.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 PM

H&R's, Stock, FSTB, Progress Rear Sway Bar, Non-cut Bumpstops, 18x8's with 245/40/18 +35 offset

Some track time (drag, autocross)... Lets say i have a "spirited" driving style overall

Occaisonally... not unless there are people in the car

Stable, A little harsh on some road bumps if not careful

Very impressed, not quite as good as my 350z, but we are talking a completely diff. class. Understeer almost non existant

Very stable, Exit ramps at 95-100mph a little bumpy over expansion joints.

Bumpy, a little stif

YES... the little bit of understeer is very predictable
Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 PM

H&R up front, H-Tech Rears, illuminas, progress rsb
Driving for about 7 years - licensed for 5 - nothing over 100mph
Never, only had them on for 4 hrs now
absolutely amazing , like a brick in the rear, yet comfortable
handles like a charm, still need to correct steering, fsb will hopefully take care of it
nothing over 50mph's yet
really quite nice considering - set on 3/3 and rides on air
- - - - - - - -
stays really settled through the corner until exit, then feels like it wants to take off???
loving the s's rides on rails
heck yeah, alot more than it used to be
even though i am not by any means an expert, i have had cars focused on handling in the past, 2 cb7's (92 and 93 accord) - both were with coilovers, and some other MINOR suspension, but nothing rides more smooth than the max - although they have only been on for a little , i can tell that i will be loving these for years to come!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Toolie

-Illuminas at 4/4, eibachs, stillen fstb and rsb, ES urethane engine mounts

-20+ years

-never but some bumps are very harsh

-Feels great but a little bumpy sometimes

-Awesome, feels like I am on rails, stock floatiness is gone car stays flat

-I've only been up to 180 kph once and it felt amazingly stable no vibration

-No complaints from my wife unless we hit a major pot hole

-Car feels great at high speed cornering, I ignore yellow posted warning speeds

-Car is on rails, I've taken on ramps to highways at double recommended speeds and had room for more. I can literally jump from one lane to the other with no effort. I have a favorite double S bend with a major dip then rise on the way to work which is posted at 50kph (yellow/recommended) I have done this at 140kph with no problems (except scaring the crap out of a passenger or two)

-Very, handles like a dream

-Running on Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 225/50/17's best tires I have ever owned
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
BARF

1) List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)
Dropzone springs, KYB GR2 struts, Knock off FSTB

2) Your driving skills and experience
I have 7 years behind the wheel, mostly daily driving. I do have vary little track time in this car.

3) How often you bottom out and at what conditions
Never

4) How your car feels when driven around town
Its a little rough but thats mostly due to my rubberband tires. On the freeway its smooth.

5) Impressions on curvy roads
The car still has a little bit of body roll, but its much better then stock. Its also much smoother through the corners and It no longer has that rear end floating feeling.

6) High speed driving and high speed stability
Its seems to grab the road and suck it in. There's also alot more stubility when having to perform a quick lane change then stock.

7) Ride quality (how would your family member describe it)
They would say its rougher then stock but barable.

8) Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.
When comming into corner its vary stable and extremely predictable (even under extreme braking) and remains that way as you hit the apex. When comming out it grips well and alows you to apply alot of throttle. You feel confident all the way through the turn.

9) Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.
Due to the decrees in body roll the car dose way better then stock.

10) Is your car predictable?
yes it is.

11) Additional information that you feel is important
Dropzone springs dont get noticed vary much because they are not a huge name brand but they are great. The only spring I would change them out for is a Tien S tech.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:56 PM
SWIFT_Navigator

I've got a set of Tein S-Techs.. I see one person posted they are fairly good with Tokico blues..

Anyone know of any other better combos with these springs? I don't really care about the money factor, just more concerned for the ride quality and handling aspects. (I'll sift through the Suspension Stickied thread as well..)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Turbo'd Saab

bump...this is cool to read up on and cause i want to see what irish has to say
Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 PM

wow how do yall "never" bottem out >.>
Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 AM

I just installed Eibach Pro's on my I30. I kept the existing HP blues (2 yrs old) on there and the ride is ridiculously rough. I rode in my friends TL 1st gen with stock struts and eibachs and the ride was incredibly smooth.

Are the HP's too soft? I'm thinking it cannot keep up with the stiffer spring rate. I know some of you guys have gone from stock struts to Illuminas while on eibachs. Will my ride be better with Illuminas?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM

I have been through 3 setups, so I will talk about all.

Maxspeed springs/Stock struts (not blown)

Decent amount of hard street driving on curvy roads, 10 years racing motorcycles (road race, supermoto, dirt), and have been racing 90mph go karts for a few months now, just got invited to the world kart finals this year. No fullsize car track experience except for drag racing which I don't count.

Rarely and only on large abrubt bumps

Virtually stock with a little more feel for road imperfections and a little less body roll and weight transfer.

Much better. Weight transfer front to rear is greatly reduced helping keep the front planted when powering out of corners. Body roll reduced noticeably.

Greatly improved. 100mph++ is much more stable, floatiness is reduced.

Family didn't notice it was aftermarket. Feels like stock.

Pretty much like stock, with less understeer on acceleration.

Front stays planted much better and rear stays planted as well.

Yes

A great choice for a mild drop and stock ride quality. And great price too.

Progress front springs/Maxspeed rear springs/blown stock struts muahaha

Same as above
Only bottom out every 14 second and on every imperfection in the road
4 How your car feels when driven around town Like a 1988 lincoln towncar with the air suspension blown and riding on the stops

5 Impressions on curvy roads CRAP

6 High speed driving and high speed stability CRAP

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it) CRAP

terrible everywhere
same
no
Don't cheap out like me and run blown stock struts, it is the worst suspension decision I ever made. People in ford rangers with the coils heated to drop will be making fun of you bouncing down the road.

D2 Coilovers

Same as above

Has never bottomed

Very stiff but handling is amazing, bring it on 350z

Amazing. Like it's on rails. Makes the tires the weakest link. I need better tires.

Amazing on smooth roads, 100mph++ stays planted, no floating. A little sketchy on very bumpy roads at high speed due to the lack of rebound travel.

Very stiff, not for everybody. My girlfriend complains a lot about it. My car buddies love it.

Turn in much more responsive with almost no body roll. mid corner my tires can't hang at all and all 4 want to break loose, but still very predictable. Exit is good, no rearward weight transfer, keeps front tires loaded for great traction.

No body roll throuh an S. Keeps both ends much more planted and predictable. This is the way a sporty car should handle.

Very

I am actually about to trade this setup off because most of my driving is city/highway, and it is just a little too stiff for the majority of my driving. If I lived where I hit smooth curvy roads every day, I would keep this setup as long as I owned the car. But for hauling my girlfriend and other whiny people around on bumpy roads and down the bumpy highways here I need something a little softer.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM

I have been through 2 setups

Htechs upfront and H&Rs in the rear...illuminas all around set to 2.

Great, safe driver...scared sh1tless of NYC potholes

Occasionally but only on steep driveways or ramps...otherwise I never bottomed out on a pothole...except for one on the Van Wyck...damn that highway

I felt every single damn pothole and bump. On flat roads it was fine. It got to the point where my back would start to hurt b/c of the harsh ride

Ok

Stable

My mom said "Never drive with a pregnant female in your car" lol. No one liked it...neither did I. My dad refused to drive my car b/c of the harsh ride.

Stable

Stable

Yes...I knew what bumps would kill the car and there were certain roads I avoided

I mixed my suspension with htechs and h&Rs only b/c it offered an even stance...I regret it and thats why I switched back to H&Rs all around
New suspension as of last week:

H&R with illuminas set on 1F/2R

Same as above

Never...well as of yet

Finally! The stock-like ride is somewhat back. Ofcourse I still feel bumps but I dont feel as if the car will fall apart. For the most part its a very comfortable ride. Im not afraid of certain roads/highways anymore and yet I actually drive on them on purpose to see the difference in ride quality compared to the last setup. Handling is the same but man...the comfort is definitely back

Stable

Stable

MUCH BETTER everyone says...now even my dad will drive my car

Guys...if you want comfort, H&R springs definitely offer them. It would be nice if the springs dropped the car a bit more in the front but Im past that stage now and all I want is a nice comfy ride. H&Rs are doing just that for me..be sure to match them w/ illuminas though
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Great Thread!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Bump...

A year and a half have passed since I started this thread, I'd assume there should be more reviews by this time. Come on folks, it might take 10 -15 minutes of your time, but think about the contribution you are making to the org.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has posted already!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
(insert witty one liner)

Bump...

A year and a half have passed since I started this thread, I'd assume there should be more reviews by this time. Come on folks, it might take 10 -15 minutes of your time, but think about the contribution you are making to the org.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has posted already!
Give me a week or so and I'll comment on the Tein H-Tech / Tokico Illumina combo.
Got them all ordered up, just waiting on delivery.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman420
Give me a week or so and I'll comment on the Tein H-Tech / Tokico Illumina combo.
Got them all ordered up, just waiting on delivery.
Thanks!

Take your time though, it's better to ride on them for a week or two first to get a better picture.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:25 AM
(insert witty one liner)

Thanks!

Take your time though, it's better to ride on them for a week or two first to get a better picture.
That's the plan. I need new tires, but am not sure if I'll have to drop to a 50 series instead of the 55's on there now. I plan to due some testing for a week or so, get new tires, and then report back.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
(insert witty one liner)

Tokico Illuminas 3F/3R & Tein H-Tech springs

Owned a couple sports cars (1988 SC MR2, 1990 300zx) and tend to drive fast but not reckless.

So far, no bottoming out. Keeping in mind Calgary roads are pretty smooth compared to a lot of cities.

Much better than stock (GLE). The car feels much more planted. The massive body role and squat have been drastically reduced (but not eliminated). You can feel the bumps more, but nothing bone jarring.

Car is much more predictable with turn in speeds being greatly increased.

Again, much better than stock. Almost zero "floaty" feeling.

My wifes exact words when I ask what she thought: "It seems the same to me"

I would say anyone who is looking to improve handling over stock for daily driving should consider this set-up. Also, the drop is nice and even. If you are into auto-X or want your Maxima to handle like a race car, then look elsewhere. This combo is a great improvement over stock without sacrificing too much comfort.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM

SOrry for this late reply, but HP as far as I know can handle almost any lowering springs on the market. The OEM Tokico's are good, the HP Blues are better and the Illumina's gives you the adjustments. I would not want to put OEM Tokicos on lowering springs. They will work, but after a while they will go...been there done that
Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wats up fellas. i was looking forward to makin my car lower for the upcoming summer. i wanted to get an idea of wat springs and struts to buy.. i have noticed that my struts are starting to leak so they will need to be replaced regardless.
what i want to do i lower the car like 1.5 in in the front and just 1 in tha bak to level it out. i live in boston so i dont want anythign too low becuase of the weather and FANTASTIC roads around me. i want sumtin that will be nice to drive in the city to stop and go traffic
also how bad would it be to add lowering springs to stock struts should i buy ones with adjustable dampining?
thanx
Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 AM

KYB GR2's , Tien S-techs, Bump stop cut by an inch
[/COLOR]
aggressive driver for 12 years

I have never bottomed out ( I live in south florida)

She feels great

Handles like a charm

I usually cruise at 85mph and the car is great. Once or twice I took her to 130mph and the car still handles great

The ride is great here in Florida, when I was back in NY on the GREAT roads on NYC the ride was bearable but you learn quickly to look out for ever pot whole or possible jus avoid certain roads ( ex: Atlantic ave)

Since i modified my suspension I can carry way more speed into corners

no problem

very predictable

Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 PM

1 List all your suspension mods and settings:
Tokico Illuminas, Progress Sport Springs, 2F/3R, Cattman Ti FSTB, Addco/Progress Hybrid RSB, FSB ES Bushings, ES coil spring isolators
2. Your driving skills and experience: 30 yrs, aggressive time attack
3. How often you bottom out: I don't
4. How your car feels when driven around town: Firm but comfortable
5. Impressions on curvy roads: Beautifully stable, minimum leaning
6. High speed driving and high speed stability: Normally cruise interstate 75mph-85mph (it's like we're going 50mph) seen 140 mph still stable.
7. Ride quality (how would your family member describe it): The ride is smooth yet firm. Wife says it's rough and even the stock SE suspension was rough in her opinion.

8. Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed: Carry more speed entering turn, in turn and leaving turn (very neutral)
9. Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed: Neutral, crisp and predictable
10. Is your car predictable? Yes, very predictable, very athletic.
11. Additional information that you feel is important:I can take bad roads( I prefer not too) as well but I will dodge big potholes to avoid wheel/tire/suspension damage. Lane changes are really quicker with this setup! Body dive during braking doesn't even exist anymore, Nor is tail squat even noticeable during acceleration!

Last edited by CMax03; 08-15-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM

Ok, I'm not a big poster, mostly a reader. I don't think I saw anyone running Tokico Blues with H&R springs. Why not?

The Blues with H&R is the setup I'm landing on (don't want to pay for the Illuminas) because I want to keep a close to stock ride with slight increase in handling (don't want the fiance *****ing about bumps, still want to take offramps fast when alone). I was considering GR2s with H&R springs, but I was told by TireRack / local auto parts store that KYB GR2's cannot run with H&R springs because the GR2s can't handle the lowering. Anyone else hear that?

I know this thread is slow moving, so I'm really hoping someone sees this.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

progress on tokico blues on 20'' sterlings. it sucks. i hate it. i feel every damn bump even when roads look perfectly fine you feel tons of bumps, dips, etc. i'm getting teins in hope it will be better because imo they are some of if not the best coilovers for 5th gens.

in terms of handeling etc yeah it's better but it's still a fwd sedan. nothing can change that not even 2k in suspension mods.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM

1 List all your suspension mods and settings:
Tokico Illuminas, H&R front drop SE stock rear, 3F/4R, FSTB, Progress RSB, FSB ES Bushings, Stage 2 LTB
2. Your driving skills and experience: 10+ yrs, Semi-aggressive CA driver
3. How often you bottom out: almost never
4. How your car feels when driven around town: Firm but comfortable
5. Impressions on curvy roads: Stable, minimum leaning, confident control
6. High speed driving and high speed stability: Normally cruise interstate 75mph-85mph stiffer than stock but no float or leaning on lane changes.
7. Ride quality (how would your family member describe it): They fall asleep as fast as stock .

8. Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed: slight brake entering, holds turn well with small dips > 60mph
9. Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed: confident and no loss of traction
10. Is your car predictable? Yes, very confident in tight twisties
11. Additional information that you feel is important: Slight squat in rear still from SE springs, but muted. Settings under 3 in the back introduce pogo effect. Rough roads are more annoying than stock, but the big imperfections are muted much better with less jarring and swinging.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM

Great Thread! This winter while my car is in storage im thinking about Tein S-Tech, with Tokico Blue HP all around. one post said that set up was good.

Open to feed back.

Quick Reply: Need a favor from EVERYONE with lowering springs