5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bottom Front motor mount leaking - replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bottom Front motor mount leaking - replacement?

The front motor mount on the cross brace underneath the motor is leaking. I presume it is shot.

What's the best replacement alternative? Picking up a new cross member from the junkyard?

Also, I have a thumping sound that seems to be coming from the driveline and is speed related - it sounds much like going over the reflectors in the middle of the road but much faster. I don't always get it but do when just barely accellerating are sometimes when cruising. I don't see how that could be caused by the motor mount since it is speed sensitive - or could it?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 AM

If the front motor mount is leaking, I don't think you need an entire cross member. You can either just replace the insert with another OEM insert or get the Energy Suspension polyurethane insert, which is stiffer and will cause more vibration in the cabin, but will reduce movement of the motor and power loss asociated with that.

You'd have to pull the cross member out, remove the motor mount bracket, have someone with a machine press get the old motor mount insert out, and press a new one back in and reassemble everything.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks - that's kinda what I figured. Thought it might be less trouble and cost to replace the cross member - but now that I think about it, that's probably considerably more expensive.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
Thanks - that's kinda what I figured. Thought it might be less trouble and cost to replace the cross member - but now that I think about it, that's probably considerably more expensive.
ES Motor Mounts are 80 bucks a pair, if you want the OEM mounts and can find a cross member with good mounts for cheap, then yes, its easier to do that. But considering you might still be getting old or beat up mounts, I'd personally not take the risk and either get new OEM mounts (not sure how much they cost) or the stiffer ES mounts.

A place with a good press should be able to press the old one out and new one in in less than 30 mins. Just make sure they are lined up correctly when they are pressed in.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 AM

Thanks. I'll do a bit of research on the ES to see how people like them. How do you like yours so far?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Thanks. I'll do a bit of research on the ES to see how people like them. How do you like yours so far?
I like the increased throttle response so far... the vibrations were pretty bad initially after the install, but I've either gotten used to it, or they have kinda softened up a little, not sure. Either way, I don't really notice the rougher idle anymore and neither does my wife, but then her Passat has a rougher idle than the Max to begin with.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I like the increased throttle response so far... the vibrations were pretty bad initially after the install, but I've either gotten used to it, or they have kinda softened up a little, not sure. Either way, I don't really notice the rougher idle anymore and neither does my wife, but then her Passat has a rougher idle than the Max to begin with.
That's my biggest fear. All the NHV caused by the stiffer mounts. Sure I hate the way the OEM allow the engine to move around alot but I also like how smooth the idle is. Is there any other mounts besides OEM and Energy they can be used to stiff up the stock just a bit
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I have no vibrations during idle. Initially when you first install the ES motor mount bushings you notice the hard start and slight vibrations. However they soften up after a while.

And you might try to see if you could just buy the front motor mount, that would be one alternative if you didn't want the ES bushings. You can disassembly it from the x-member with only two bolts
Old 02-22-2006, 06:07 AM

I had polyurethane motor mounts on my old car (Jetta VR6) and because of the low idle it had a nice little buzz when first started up. Cold morning were a little worse, but definately tolerable. They soften up after a few weeks and if you still don't like the vibration at idle, the idle rpm is a whole lot easier to raise on the Max than the Jetta-100 rpm higher would have been perfect on my Jetta.

Just get the ES and if it's too rough after a few weeks of break in, then switch it out for a factory one and sell the ES.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio

And you might try to see if you could just buy the front motor mount, that would be one alternative if you didn't want the ES bushings. You can disassembly it from the x-member with only two bolts
Not sure I understand what you are saying about the ES bushings or about disassembling the mount from the x-member with two bolts.

How do the ES bushings differ from the mounts? And I thought the mounts were pressed into the x-member.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 AM

Not sure I understand what you are saying about the ES bushings or about disassembling the mount from the x-member with two bolts.

How do the ES bushings differ from the mounts? And I thought the mounts were pressed into the x-member.
The motor mount is attached to the cross member with 2 bolts, but the motor mount insert pressed into the motor mount.

The ES mounts are really motor mount inserts that are pressed into the OEM motor mount. The ES inserts replace the liquid filled OEM inserts that you are seeing leak. The actual motor mount isn't replaced.

I believe what Larrio is saying is you can find an OEM motor mount complete with insert and just replace that.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 AM

The motor mount is attached to the cross member with 2 bolts, but the motor mount insert pressed into the motor mount.

The ES mounts are really motor mount inserts that are pressed into the OEM motor mount. The ES inserts replace the liquid filled OEM inserts that you are seeing leak. The actual motor mount isn't replaced.

I believe what Larrio is saying is you can find an OEM motor mount complete with insert and just replace that.
Hmm - maybe it is different on the 2k. I'm pretty certain that the mount is welded onto the x-member and that the only bolt is the one that goes through the mount to attach it to the engine brackets. I replaced the clutch and put headers on so I've been down there quite a bit.

That's why it made sense to me that you had to press out the insert. Is there a 3rd piece - i.e. between the metal loop welded to the x-member and and the insert? Or are the bolts hidden somehow that I wouldn't notice them?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:04 AM

Hmm - maybe it is different on the 2k. I'm pretty certain that the mount is welded onto the x-member and that the only bolt is the one that goes through the mount to attach it to the engine brackets. I replaced the clutch and put headers on so I've been down there quite a bit.
I always thought it was the same, but I could be wrong. I'll check the 2000 FSM in a bit.

But for now, here are some pics from a 2002 (borrowed from Polo's site).

Cradle/cross member with motor mounts and black OEM inserts (note 2 bolts below each mount):

Motor mount detached from cross member and OEM insert removed:

ES motor mount inserts pressed in:

Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 AM

And here are some pics that I took of the inserts:

Hope that helps...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:07 AM

Thanks. I can just look under the car in a while or check the fsm I have at home.

They are probably the same and I just don't remember correctly.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 AM

I checked the 2000 FSM and they are the same: the mounts come off the cross member.

From EM-57:

Old 02-22-2006, 07:58 AM
The Definitive AE Master

They actually look like they are welded on from certain angles. That was my initial impression until I saw a few 5spd swaps on 4th gens which only need the front motor mount from a 5spd since the AUTO one is larger and won't accomodate the ES motor mount bushing.

IIRC, on 5th gens, both the front and rear AUTO motor mount is larger due to that electrical plug feeding into both bushings.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Fluid Leaking??? Motor mounts? What am I missing I didnt know they had fluid in them??? Electrical plug??? Sorry I am new
Old 02-22-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by teamsinister
Fluid Leaking??? Motor mounts? What am I missing I didnt know they had fluid in them??? Electrical plug??? Sorry I am new
Yes, the stock motor mount inserts are liquid filled and the AT mounts are electronically controlled, as posted above.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Play with my balls

On the crossmember, there are 4 bolts that hold that up. Is that where one of my sets of bushings go in? If so, what are those bushings called?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
On the crossmember, there are 4 bolts that hold that up. Is that where one of my sets of bushings go in? If so, what are those bushings called?
Lower subframe bushings. I think that's one of the sets you have.

Pics on Polo's site:

http://polo.lxanyc.com/2002MaximaSE/...frameBushings/
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Those are nice to have also if you plan on installing the motor mount bushings
Old 02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Play with my balls

Lower subframe bushings. I think that's one of the sets you have.

Pics on Polo's site:

http://polo.lxanyc.com/2002MaximaSE/...frameBushings/
Thanks Joel, you're absolutely correct. I figured that's where they went, but just wanted to confirm.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 AM

Puppetmaster:

Where can I get the ES bushing?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jackwu
Puppetmaster:

Where can I get the ES bushing?

Thanks!
www.sportcompactonly.com - talk to Steve G (Y2KSESteve)

www.mattblehm.com - talk to Matt Blehm (Matt93SE)

www.cattman.com - talk to Brian Catts (Cattman)
Old 02-23-2006, 09:39 AM
The Definitive AE Master

www.suspension.com

I thought cattman only sells PR motor mounts?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
www.suspension.com

I thought cattman only sells PR motor mounts?
He had a GD recently on ES products and I believe he still has certain items in stock.

Btw, the direct link is: http://www.suspension.com/nissancars.htm I just didn't post it because I wasn't sure if it was updated and how their customer service is.